Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 65

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

  1. #26
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,619

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You could see it in David's eyes when Griffin was messing with him, I told my son that taunting him was like the Knicks fans taunting Reggie, simply a BAD idea.
    Don't poke the bear, exactly.

  2. #27
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,186
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    David West is averaging 1.2 bpg and 1 steal a game. He is a much better defender than some will give him credit.


    Plus he needs 3 more points to score 11,000 on his career

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,403

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    David West has settled into a very comfortable position on the team. Against sub par competition, he allows the other 4 starters to sort of "do their thing", while leaving himself available for 15-17ft jumpers. But then against the good to elite teams, he exerts his will a little more and becomes that number two scoring option he was for years in N.O. It's beautiful to watch him pick and choose his spots while allowing his younger teammates to get their collective touches.

    But when push comes to shove, that Hill/West P&R/P&P gets us a good shot 95% of the time.

  5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    The thing about West is this is only his third year, and he is already in a pantheon of sports lore for me. He is the definition of professional and the ability to rely on him in big games to produce has just been so refreshing. Obviously Hill has been consistent as well, and Paul and Hibbert are developing the ability to be consistent and arguably there now.

    But when Mr. West is in the building so to speak, there are few players in my Pacers history that compare. And you KNOW when Mr. West is in the building, I think his first shot last night was blocked by Jordan right in front of the Clipps bench, West recovered the ball and instead of looking to pass got this look in his eye like OK that's how it's going to be, and he drove on him and then worked him over with a beautiful step back fade away jumper.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  8. #30
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,750

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing about West is this is only his third year, and he is already in a pantheon of sports lore for me. He is the definition of professional and the ability to rely on him in big games to produce has just been so refreshing. Obviously Hill has been consistent as well, and Paul and Hibbert are developing the ability to be consistent and arguably there now.

    But when Mr. West is in the building so to speak, there are few players in my Pacers history that compare. And you KNOW when Mr. West is in the building, I think his first shot last night was blocked by Jordan right in front of the Clipps bench, West recovered the ball and instead of looking to pass got this look in his eye like OK that's how it's going to be, and he drove on him and then worked him over with a beautiful step back fade away jumper.

    He is simply the greatest free agent signing in Pacer history. I guess that most would say that JO is the greatest acquisition in Pacer history, but you could probably start to make a case for West. JO will always beat him on stats and all star appearances, but West changed entire culture of our team and his arrival immediately made us one of the best teams in the NBA.

    There are obviously lots of reasons for this team being great right now. PG has become a top 5 player in the league. Born Ready has turned into Magic Stephenson. Roy Hibbert is one of the most suffocating post defenders in NBA history. Hill is clutch. Scola has been an awesome bench addition. But to me, this current team's rise to greatness started the day we signed West. No single event changed the attitude and culture of this team more than when we brought in this guy to show the young guys how a true NBA professional acts. We had tons of young talent at that point, but we needed an old vet like West who could show them the ropes. Oh, and he's a pretty damn good basketball player too. He made an argument for himself to be an all star last year with his spectacular play, and I think that his defense just gets better and better.

    Like I said earlier, he just gets this nasty edge to him when we play great teams on the road. I love it and I can't wait to see more of it tonight. I want some more nasty jumpers with some jawing afterwords.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  10. #31
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    West made Griffen look like a little boy. Right after the foul on west where Griffen started acting tough is when he really turned it on. He really showed the world last night that Blake Griffen is by no means a superstar.

    I know Hill is a good defender but Paul made him look foolish last night. I know he is the best PG in the league but at some point you have to man up and take a foul against the pick and roll. He got to what ever spot he wanted and made our defense overload which got his team what ever shot they wanted time after time.

    Hibbert was Hibbert.

    PG is falling to in love with this 3pt shot again. He seems to do this time and time again. Especially when he makes a few early, he then seems to find a way to force a few more which make you smack your head and say really?

    Crawford was his normal self. He reminds me alot of a JR Smith where one second you hate him and then the next he gets you back in the game. Then once again you hate him because he cannot turn off chucker mode.

    Scola looked WAY off last night. Even his nice calm collected jumper he has was forced without defense even on him. Not sure what was going on in his head but you could tell something mental was happening.

    I have a question for some of you stat guys. Where do you find their points per 100 possessions on the game or something similar?

  11. #32
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,217

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is simply the greatest free agent signing in Pacer history. I guess that most would say that JO is the greatest acquisition in Pacer history, but you could probably start to make a case for West. JO will always beat him on stats and all star appearances, but West changed entire culture of our team and his arrival immediately made us one of the best teams in the NBA.

    There are obviously lots of reasons for this team being great right now. PG has become a top 5 player in the league. Born Ready has turned into Magic Stephenson. Roy Hibbert is one of the most suffocating post defenders in NBA history. Hill is clutch. Scola has been an awesome bench addition. But to me, this current team's rise to greatness started the day we signed West. No single event changed the attitude and culture of this team more than when we brought in this guy to show the young guys how a true NBA professional acts. We had tons of young talent at that point, but we needed an old vet like West who could show them the ropes. Oh, and he's a pretty damn good basketball player too. He made an argument for himself to be an all star last year with his spectacular play, and I think that his defense just gets better and better.

    Like I said earlier, he just gets this nasty edge to him when we play great teams on the road. I love it and I can't wait to see more of it tonight. I want some more nasty jumpers with some jawing afterwords.
    I'm with you. I am a huge DW fan, and I believe that he is really our go-to guy when it comes right down to it. When the pressure hits, he is there to deliver. (In fact, our loss to Miami last year may be in part because DW just didn't quite have it that night. He's not perfect.)

    But let's get some perspective here: who turned the franchise around? It LITERALLY turned around the day Frank Vogel was named coach. David West wasn't on the team yet.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  13. #33
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,984

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    I would put David West in my top 5 favorite Pacers of all time. In fact probably top 3 alltime. I know his stats are down this season, but there is no doubt in my mind that ewhen we need him he'll be there like he was last night and like he has been against the better teams. (not to suggest he is a superstar capable of taking over games like Lebron) but only to suggest that when we really need him to score points most of the time he'll be there.

    No surprise that he had his best game so far this season in the most difficult game we have played yet.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  15. #34
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,984

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But let's get some perspective here: who turned the franchise around? It LITERALLY turned around the day Frank Vogel was named coach. David West wasn't on the team yet.
    Frank is a great coach, I think the second best coach I have ever seen coach a Pacers team. (Slick was before my time) So I think Frank a great coach. But I would dispute your point that he turned it around on the day he took over. Maybe he started the turnaround then, maybe he got things going in the right direction right away. But he did not turn it around the day he took over or anywhere near that. 20-18 to end the season and then losing 1-4 against the Bulls doesn't indicate that that things were turned around. Although maybe we have a different definition of turned around.

    Having said that Frank is a huge reason we are where we are. So not really disagreeing with you, perhaps just clarifying
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.

  16. #35
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,750

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with you. I am a huge DW fan, and I believe that he is really our go-to guy when it comes right down to it. When the pressure hits, he is there to deliver. (In fact, our loss to Miami last year may be in part because DW just didn't quite have it that night. He's not perfect.)

    But let's get some perspective here: who turned the franchise around? It LITERALLY turned around the day Frank Vogel was named coach. David West wasn't on the team yet.
    Vogel taking over for O'Brien was certainly one of the greatest days in franchise history. It marked the beginning of a new philosophy and era of Pacer basketball. His record with the team that season was 20-18, which was certainly way better than O'Brien's awful winning percentage before getting fired. Then we got beat 4-1 by Chicago. So while Vogel did a fantastic job and changed the entire culture, the team was still basically a .500 team.

    It was the additions of West and Hill in the 2011 off-season that took our team from good to elite. That's when we went from a team who could make the playoffs as a low seed to one that could be expected to make the Conference Finals and challenge for an NBA championship.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank is a great coach, I think the second best coach I have ever seen coach a Pacers team. (Slick was before my time) So I think Frank a great coach. But I would dispute your point that he turned it around on the day he took over. Maybe he started the turnaround then, maybe he got things going in the right direction right away. But he did not turn it around the day he took over or anywhere near that. 20-18 to end the season and then losing 1-4 against the Bulls doesn't indicate that that things were turned around. Although maybe we have a different definition of turned around.

    Having said that Frank is a huge reason we are where we are. So not really disagreeing with you, perhaps just clarifying
    Frank took over a team that was 17-27 and went 20-18. That is a pretty big turnaround with no personnel moves.

    Over 82 games, that would be an improvement from a 32 win team to a 43 win team. or an 11 win improvement.

    The next season with West and Hill they improved to a 52 win pace over the shortened season, or a 9 win improvement.

    In other words, they were both huge steps to get to where we are today.
    Last edited by kent beckley; 12-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:


  20. #37
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Yeah, but Vogel made them a competitive .500 team with Hansbrough and McBob at power forward. A painfully raw PG at the two, a pretty painfully raw Hibbert at the 5 and Darren Collison. That's pretty impressive to me. That team offensively a lot of times was basically Danny Granger and 4 dudes.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  22. #38
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,587

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    All of this "top PF in the NBA" talk is a little short on Kevin Love.



    Also, the "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?" game-winner pose is the best one in sports right now.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  24. #39
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    I like Kevin Love as much as the next guy but that team has really petered out after their fast start.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. #40

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    They are just a terrible road team that has played a lot of road games recently.

  26. #41

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but Vogel made them a competitive .500 team with Hansbrough and McBob at power forward. A painfully raw PG at the two, a pretty painfully raw Hibbert at the 5 and Darren Collison. That's pretty impressive to me. That team offensively a lot of times was basically Danny Granger and 4 dudes.
    DG being good? YOU MOCK PACERS DIGEST.

  27. #42
    Member Romsey31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anguilla, Caribbean
    Age
    30
    Posts
    628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh and I really hope that Blake Griffin liked David West throwing a low blow during his interview w/ Brooke after the game saying Aldridge was the best PF in the NBA. (Not sure if that's really true either, it'll be a moot point in a year or 2 with Anthony Davis)
    Kevin loves sends his regards
    Impossible Is Nothing

  28. #43
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank is a great coach, I think the second best coach I have ever seen coach a Pacers team. (Slick was before my time) So I think Frank a great coach. But I would dispute your point that he turned it around on the day he took over. Maybe he started the turnaround then, maybe he got things going in the right direction right away. But he did not turn it around the day he took over or anywhere near that. 20-18 to end the season and then losing 1-4 against the Bulls doesn't indicate that that things were turned around. Although maybe we have a different definition of turned around.

    Having said that Frank is a huge reason we are where we are. So not really disagreeing with you, perhaps just clarifying
    Yea I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Perhaps as you said maybe it's what we consider turning it around. Obviously you consider a turn around to be about being a contender and I respect that. However I consider taking us off of the treadmill to nowhere to be the first step in the turn around. In fact I consider it to be the most important step.

    Sure West is a leader but at the end of the day he isn't the coach. He doesn't set the plays, make the rotations or design the defense. That's all coaching. The fact that David West totally has bought in and is leading the team is a testament to both his willingness and abilities however it is equally a testament to Frank Vogel being legitimate (there's that word again) because you are not going to be able to B.S. a player like West and West would not buy into something he didn't believe in.

    I also think West is vital to our club and I'm going to go ahead and say that he is the best NBA power forward we have ever had (Big Mac is from a different era) but to me him being here would not matter nearly as much if we were coached by a "system coach" who makes players adapt to their style and can't/won't fit the style to match the players.

    BTW using losing 1-4 to the Bulls in the playoffs (on paper it looks bad but that series was much closer believe me) to explain how this wasn't turn around is about like those who would use the fact that Danny Granger didn't play much on team USA as an excuse to tell us why he was a bad player. In other words it doesn't work.

    The same team with the same players made the playoffs when Satan in all of his years here never once sniffed the playoffs and this team was well below the playoff threshold when Frank took over.

    No, the more I think about it hiring Frank Vogel may go down as one of the single most significant acts in Pacers history.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  30. #44
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,481

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vogel taking over for O'Brien was certainly one of the greatest days in franchise history. It marked the beginning of a new philosophy and era of Pacer basketball.
    There's the Vogel era... and the O'Brien error...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  32. #45
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,587

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Kevin Love as much as the next guy but that team has really petered out after their fast start.
    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are just a terrible road team that has played a lot of road games recently.
    Yeah, games like their loss to OKC last night are schedule losses... Minnesota has already had six back-to-backs, while OKC has had only one. Wolves have also played the most games in the NBA as of last night (tied with Boston). I think their play will definitely come right back up once their schedule eases a bit... and once LRMAM and Chase Budinger become regular contributors. I think early-season Minnesota was more indicative of their quality than this recent rough stretch.

  33. #46
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,916

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, the more I think about it hiring Frank Vogel may go down as one of the single most significant acts in Pacers history.
    It was certainly way way up there, Larry Brown took a team that had never won a playoff series to the ECF that's pretty huge, I hated Larry Brown by the end but looking back I see that it was what he was trying to do (kind of a jerk move IMO)

    I would be curious to hear from some of the older fans (ie before 93-94) is there another free agent signing as big as David West? I can not for the life of me think of one. Every single good player we have had up until now has either been someone we traded for or drafted.

    I know Barkley said he regretted not coming to Indiana and a few others have said the same but none actually did before West.

  34. #47
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,233
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    I prefer a PF that plays both ends of the floor, Kevin Love has yet to prove he's more than an ultra-morphed super Murphy, especially defensively. (He's a top 3 PF still but not #1, I'd take Anthony Davis if I had my choice).
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  35. #48

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would put David West in my top 5 favorite Pacers of all time. In fact probably top 3 alltime. I know his stats are down this season, but there is no doubt in my mind that ewhen we need him he'll be there like he was last night and like he has been against the better teams. (not to suggest he is a superstar capable of taking over games like Lebron) but only to suggest that when we really need him to score points most of the time he'll be there.

    No surprise that he had his best game so far this season in the most difficult game we have played yet.
    Those are my sentiments as well. West's definitely top 3 all-time for me.

  36. #49
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I prefer a PF that plays both ends of the floor, Kevin Love has yet to prove he's more than an ultra-morphed super Murphy, especially defensively. (He's a top 3 PF still but not #1, I'd take Anthony Davis if I had my choice).
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this exact thought. I have never EVER been impressed by him or his stats. I had a video saved last year but can't find it now of him literally quitting a defensive play to get into rebounding position only to have the player drive right past him for an easy uncontested layup. I don't even consider him a top # 3 P.F.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    owl

  38. #50
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,750

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was certainly way way up there, Larry Brown took a team that had never won a playoff series to the ECF that's pretty huge, I hated Larry Brown by the end but looking back I see that it was what he was trying to do (kind of a jerk move IMO)

    I would be curious to hear from some of the older fans (ie before 93-94) is there another free agent signing as big as David West? I can not for the life of me think of one. Every single good player we have had up until now has either been someone we traded for or drafted.

    I know Barkley said he regretted not coming to Indiana and a few others have said the same but none actually did before West.
    I'm not an old timer, but the next best free agent I can think of is Byron Scott. The Pacers don't exactly have a long track record of signing good free agents. West completely dwarfs everyone else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •