Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/1/2013 Post Game Thread #17: Pacers Vs. Clippers

Sports Logo

Default Re: 12/1/2013 Post Game Thread #17: Pacers Vs. Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoya View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Portland was without Redick. Um, I think we were without Danny Granger. Tit for tat.
    I am pretty sure that Portland has always been without Redick
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I am pretty sure that Portland has always been without Redick
    Portland will also play tomorrow's game without Michael Jordan. ASTERISK!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

After this win, i better not see Chris Paul ahead of PG on the MVP rankings.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Nice avatar. Larry was a showman back in the day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Great win, but I think the Pacers made it tough on themselves with the defensive assignments late in the game. No way i'd have Lance guarding Crawford. That should have been PG the whole time. Jared Dudley isn't going to out match Lance like Jamal Crawford was doing.

David West put on a clinic for Griffin, he was fired up. Dude was just moving Griffin to where-ever he wanted in the post.

Clippers get away with ton of illegal screens all game long. Either CP3 starts the PNR before the big is set or the big just keeps shuffling his feet on the screen.

I knew we would win this game, Clippers do not have enough defense of half-court offense to compete with a well disciplined team like the Pacers.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Pacers have the ESPN NBA front page :-)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 31Since1990 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Day-V nice avatar, It was a sports Ills cover with a couple cheerleaders on it saying ISU had a secret weapon. At that time not many people had heard of Larry.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Gotta Play Big

The Clippers had only lost once this year at home. They got away with murder most of the game pushing and pulling...so it's no surprise. Also, their small ball was pretty effective...but I think by playoff time, their nickname will be Sob City. They are not cut out for the post season.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Great win, but I think the Pacers made it tough on themselves with the defensive assignments late in the game. No way i'd have Lance guarding Crawford. That should have been PG the whole time. Jared Dudley isn't going to out match Lance like Jamal Crawford was doing.
    Dudley didn't play in the 4th quarter. I just checked it in ESPN's play-by-play.

The Clippers went with a Collison-Crawford-Bullock line-up to start the 3rd and then they replaced Bullock with Chris Paul halfway through the quarter.

PG on Crawford, Hill on DC and Lance on Bullock would work. PG on Crawford, Hill on CP3 and Lance on DC was tricky.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Gotta Play Big

That Chris Paul George Hill guy really came up big tonight.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by colts19 View Post
    Day-V nice avatar, It was a sports Ills cover with a couple cheerleaders on it saying ISU had a secret weapon. At that time not many people had heard of Larry.
    Oh, I know. That's why I made it. As soon as I saw that picture of Lance, the idea formed immediately.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Here is a very nice article on ESPN about tonight's game. By Arnovitz:

LOS ANGELES -- Three times on Sunday afternoon, Los Angeles Clippers center DeAndre Jordan went airborne to catch a floating lob from Chris Paul, then ravaged the rim to consummate the alley-oop.

The Indiana Pacers never called timeout to quell the momentum or the invigorated Staples Center crowd. They price plays like these into the game, so they shrugged it off and moved on.

"We're not going to be able to take that lob away," Pacers small forward Paul George said. "It's part of their team's whole motto. It's something we have to give up. We're not going to give up 3s. We're not going to let their shooters get hot. We're going to do a good job of staying home and protecting the paint."

The way the Pacers see it, these moments are emotional boosts for your opponent only if you let them be. Indiana happily yielded a few style points to the Clippers in exchange for a 105-100 win, its 16th victory in 17 outings out of the gate.

The starting unit was typically stingy, giving up only 45 points on 50 possessions. George, Roy Hibbert, David West, Lance Stephenson and George Hill are the league's best defensive high-usage lineup -- and over the past two seasons have established the most dominant defense since the halcyon days of the Celtics' new Big Three.

That's why Pacers coach Frank Vogel never considered implementing Hack-a-DeAndre when the Clippers staged a comeback in the fourth quarter.

"We're the best defense in the world," Vogel said. "We trust our ability to get stops."

When a defense has convictions, it doesn't need gimmicks. When guarding the half court, the Pacers are essentially error-free. Snipers like Clippers' supersub Jamal Crawford are rarely left unaccounted for in transition. On the off chance the opponent finds a good shot against the Pacers, it's usually an unforced error. Indiana leverages Hibbert's presence inside by smothering the perimeter. For some teams, playing up and closing hard on shooters presents the risk of a blow-by, but Hibbert is the league's best insurance policy.

"I tell the guys, if they get beat, I'll be there to clean it up," Hibbert said.

It's a style more in line with vintage Spurs' defenses and Stan Van Gundy's Magic teams built around Dwight Howard. The Pacers avoid rotations at all costs -- alley-oops be damned -- and deploy their length to patrol the gaps and to close mercilessly, a strategy made easier when a 7-foot-2 rim protector with razor-sharp instincts lies in wait.

Prior to the game, Clippers coach Doc Rivers characterized the Pacers as a team that's "over themselves." Egos have been sublimated for a larger good, and the result has been the kind of tranquility that generally surrounds only the best, most self-possessed teams. The offense still needs to prove it can run efficiently for long stretches, but the Pacers have the texture of a contender.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...hows-16-1-mark

I really like PG's, Frank's and Hibbert's quotes.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Pretty excited for tomorrows game, Lakers unfortunately not putting much of a contest.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

eh, i'll take 16-1
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

anybody else feel sorry for Darren Collison? He was one of us, and we have exploded since his departure. DC was only a Pacer for two seasons, but it seems like he was a Pacer longer than that
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    anybody else feel sorry for Darren Collison? He was one of us, and we have exploded since his departure. DC was only a Pacer for two seasons, but it seems like he was a Pacer longer than that
    I still love DC. Several people undervalued him when he was here but he can still be a contributor on a very good team. But there is no reason to feel sorry for him. We traded him because he wanted to start and he had the chance to do that on a good Dallas team. It didn't work great and so he decided to go to LA and back-up CP3 again. It's not a bad place to be.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mad props to the guy behind the bench with the Stipanovich jersey .

30. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I was getting pretty irritated by some embarrassing turnovers throughout the game as I watched via DVR tonight, and towards the end I was worried that might do us in when it stayed so close, but in the end we yet again demonstrated how good we've become in playoff-style situations and just got the damn job done. This team is mighty.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I haven't seen the Pacers in the scenario to try and use such a thing, but I hope the Pacers never go to a hack-a-player or those sorts of gimmicks.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    no not really - he played pretty badly for us and had plenty of opportunities to get his ish together. He's also on a pretty good team.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I haven't seen the Pacers in the scenario to try and use such a thing, but I hope the Pacers never go to a hack-a-player or those sorts of gimmicks.
    I'm glad we didn't need to do it, but I don't really see anything "gimmicky" about exploiting the fact your opponent lacks one of the most basic, fundamental basketball skills. Would it be gimmicky to trap a player that has no discernable ability to dribble or pass?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    I'm glad we didn't need to do it, but I don't really see anything "gimmicky" about exploiting the fact your opponent lacks one of the most basic, fundamental basketball skills. Would it be gimmicky to trap a player that has no discernable ability to dribble or pass?
    I consider it more of like a respect to the game to play great defense and stop them the old fashioned way, over boring the game down to praying some guy hits at or worse than his percentage of free throws. I hated it when the Pacers let Shaq get 39 free throws in the Finals game, it didn't help the Pacers in the end, and was an embarrassment to the game.

Trapping a player is much different, that's done all the time, that's a basketball play as I'd say; not too normal for NBA but still resembles a basketball game.

The same things occur in football, mostly when coaches decide its "better" to let a team score a TD to get the ball back with more time on the clock. I don't think I've ever seen it work successfully, it almost did when the Giants "accidently" scored the game winning TD against the Pats in the Super Bowl. Imagine if the RB doesn't score, they run the clock down, and the Giants botch the FG or get it blocked, it would've been one of the dumbest things ever done.

Luckily the Pacers have the best defense clearly in the NBA so I don't think it will ever come to that sort of thing.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post

Not gonna lie, I almost just copied and pasted this and put "Odd Thoughts" on it and just leave it as my post for the night. One GIF made every single word I wrote look sick. (sick in a bad way, not in a cool way).

This is now officially my second favorite GIF right behind 50cent.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    The only gimmick ( and I'm not so sure is a real gimmick ) that I think that Vogel uses ( which I admit I thought was unfair when LeDecision did it to DC a few years ago...until PG24 starting doing the same this season ) is when Vogel sics PG24 on the opposing Team's Starting PG to completely disrupt their offensive flow in the 2nd half.

Not many Teams can do this, but this is why we have length at all of our positions.....we can afford to shift GH and Lance over to the other Wing spots while PG24 hounds the opposing point Guard.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: