Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Colts bench Trent Richardson

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts bench Trent Richardson

That was one move this off-season that I hated. Also the LB we gave to Dallas who looked great in the pre-season for us... Rayford.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mark Schlereth nails it for me, exactly what I've been sayin:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10086035
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the most frustrating thing for me about this damn o line is what it's robbing us of. We have Andrew Friggin Luck and Trent Friggin Richardson, and this line is so terribad, even they can't do **** week-to-week. I just can't wait/imagine to get this line straightened so we can see what these two can do. I still believe Luck is the best QB prospect in decades, and Trent is at least one of the best RB prospects to come out in the last 5-7 years. And we're missing out on it right now...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The line is certainly hideous and is going to be a major thorn in our side no matter what, but a skilled offensive coordinator should still be able to find ways to allow Luck to make plays. There's not much you can do to compensate for a bad line when it comes to the run game. However, you can do things to compensate for it in the passing game. The most obvious thing is throwing quick slants and screens to utilize our receivers' tremendous speed. Also, we should try rolling Luck out more. Instead, we consistently have Luck drop back in the pocket so that he can get drilled while throwing a ball that DHB or Hilton can't catch. Yeah it's frustrating as hell to see our line get owned like that and allow him to get hit, but our offensive coordinator should try mixing things up so that it doesn't happen so much.

I'll sadly concede that our running game is pretty much screwed because of the line, but a creative coordinator should still be able to find ways for this passing game to have more success.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-06-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Some of the scout's comments from cdash's article:

The Colts don’t utilize his pass-catching ability very well. He is a very good receiver and even in space he can run over safeties and cornerbacks. It shocks me because he had 50-something catches last year.

Exactly.

In his short time in the league, T-Rich has shown that he is a good threat in the passing game. But do we try to utilize that? Of course not. We stubbornly try to fit square pegs into a round hole. Right now, that is the Pagano-Pep Colts in a nutshell. Converse that with how New England uses Shane Vereen. Hoodie and his crew recognize that they have a highly skilled pass catching running back, so they find ways to utilize him in the passing game, which obviously succeeds. A coaching staff that adjusts based on the strengths of its players. What a novel and bizarre idea.

Our offensive line is terrible and it has obviously shaken Trent's confidence. It's no doubt a big reason for his hesitation. So we should utilize his pass catching ability and allow him to run in space, which he has shown he can successfully do. That would definitely build his confidence back up, and it would help the Colts on the field.

These ideas shouldn't be brought up by some guys on a message board. The Colts should have attempted stuff like this WEEKS AGO. But no, we are a power run team. We have to pound our chest about how we are a power run team, even though we don't succeed in doing it. Their stubborn ways are approaching a JOB level.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the scout's comments from cdash's article:

The Colts don’t utilize his pass-catching ability very well. He is a very good receiver and even in space he can run over safeties and cornerbacks. It shocks me because he had 50-something catches last year.

Exactly.

In his short time in the league, T-Rich has shown that he is a good threat in the passing game. But do we try to utilize that? Of course not. We stubbornly try to fit square pegs into a round hole. Right now, that is the Pagano-Pep Colts in a nutshell. Converse that with how New England uses Shane Vereen. Hoodie and his crew recognize that they have a highly skilled pass catching running back, so they find ways to utilize him in the passing game, which obviously succeeds. A coaching staff that adjusts based on the strengths of its players. What a novel and bizarre idea.

Our offensive line is terrible and it has obviously shaken Trent's confidence. It's no doubt a big reason for his hesitation. So we should utilize his pass catching ability and allow him to run in space, which he has shown he can successfully do. That would definitely build his confidence back up, and it would help the Colts on the field.

These ideas shouldn't be brought up by some guys on a message board. The Colts should have attempted stuff like this WEEKS AGO. But no, we are a power run team. We have to pound our chest about how we are a power run team, even though we don't succeed in doing it. Their stubborn ways are approaching a JOB level.
    The Colts boasting about being a power run team is like an ugly girl posting pictures on Facebook just to get attention.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'll sadly concede that our running game is pretty much screwed because of the line, but a creative coordinator should still be able to find ways for this passing game to have more success.
    Especially when you consider our receiving corps is a patchwork unit right now. DHB can't catch ****, Hilton isn't a true #1, Fleener is solid, but my lord let's try to get the running backs involved. Get creative. Hell, put Richardson in the backfield, Brown in the slot, just to create confusion. Run swing passes, screens, use him for dump offs.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Especially when you consider our receiving corps is a patchwork unit right now. DHB can't catch ****, Hilton isn't a true #1, Fleener is solid, but my lord let's try to get the running backs involved. Get creative. Hell, put Richardson in the backfield, Brown in the slot, just to create confusion. Run swing passes, screens, use him for dump offs.
    Just try to keep the defense honest.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Unfortunately when they did this last putting Richardson out there all alone to catch the ball he looked just like DHB. Clearly his confidence isn't there. I want to see one game where pep starts with a damn pass instead of the run.

Trent drops passes now too?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Mood

Trent is one hell of a RB. I think we need to find better ways to utilize his strengths. Right now we are setting the poor guy up to fail. Half of the time when he gets the ball the defense is close or already on his ***. Give him this year as a learning experience and once he has a full training camp and has the time to work with the playbook and spends time with Luck catching passes out of the backfield I see major improvement. It will be an interesting training camp next year with who will be kept at the RB position.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post: