Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts bench Trent Richardson

Default Re: Colts bench Trent Richardson

BREAKING NEWS: Terrible player on terrible team better than other terrible player on the same terrible team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So was that the running game those who favor Brown envisioned? I tell you what though, watching Donald get pancaked by the defense 3 yds in the backfield was a bit amusing*. Hopefully watching him get creamed for 95% of the game helps TPTB get past the bargaining stage of grief, and start the acceptance process of just how freaking unbelieveably bad the OLine is.

*Yes, I do find it funny. Not schadenfreude funny, but pathetic funny.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So was that the running game those who favor Brown envisioned? I tell you what though, watching Donald get pancaked by the defense 3 yds in the backfield was a bit amusing*. Hopefully watching him get creamed for 95% of the game helps TPTB get past the bargaining stage of grief, and start the acceptance process of just how freaking unbelieveably bad the OLine is.

*Yes, I do find it funny. Not schadenfreude funny, but pathetic funny.
    For the two of you who insist on blaming all of Richardson's troubles on the offensive line, how do you explain, oh, I don't know, Richardson's entire 2012-2013 season. Wait, let me guess...offensive line?

I see you've been busy over the extended holiday weekend.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

No one has said ALL Trent's problems are from the OLine, but they are at fault for most of the lack of production. Which is why I thought watching Brown getting rocked backwards 95% of the time, would have helped some figure out it really doesn't matter who is running the ball, as long as the line continues allowing the defense to run roughshed over them. It's like thinking by re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, it would stop the leak.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    For the two of you who insist on blaming all of Richardson's troubles on the offensive line, how do you explain, oh, I don't know, Richardson's entire 2012-2013 season. Wait, let me guess...offensive line?
    The one where he had 1300 yards of offense and 12 touchdowns as a rookie behind a bad line? And our line has been infinitely worse than Cleveland's in the past ~6 weeks.

He's already proven to have way better production in this league. He's on pace to have a massive drop-off this year. As well as most of our offense. And yet... you single out TRich, and not the other people who are also struggling mightily. Should we fire Luck? He's waay behind last year's production. How 'bout Hilton... another person behind last year's production, and this was supposed to be a step UP year for him, and he's even the main guy now, more targets. And trust me, both of those guys are making as many, if not more, mistakes as TRich. Of course, when the play is blown up almost instantly upon the snap, it makes everyone look way worse than they are.

Maybe... just maybe..... it's the ****** offensive system they are in, combined with a sieve of an offensive line? No, go ahead and keep blaming TRich while inexplicably also admitting that our offense sucks. Place no blame on any of the other under-producing skill players on this team. It's all TRich, all the time.

I'm telling you, simply replace Gilbert with Mudd... replace Pep with Arians... and this offense would be upper echelon. It' not the players. It's the friggin coaches and coordinators. And that's considering that we've lost a ton of guys for the year. We still have weapons on this team. They just aren't even close to being used correctly.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

In 2012, Trent had 51 catches for 367 yards (7.2 per reception). Pretty good.

As a Colt this season, Trent has just 14 receptions for 127 yards (9.1 per reception). That's really good. He has 21 receptions on the season, but 7 of them are with Cleveland. So that means that a third of his 2013 receptions are with the Browns even though he only played two games there this year!

T-Rich has shown that he has an Edgerrin James ability to catch and run with the ball. Even the harshest T-Rich critic has to admit that it's a strength of his. He is good when he can run in space. Yet our offensive coordinator has only allowed him to catch the ball 14 TIMES in 10 games. If he had some nice catches, then I'm sure it would really help his confidence.

This stat is symbolic of an offensive coordinator who has no creativity and fails to recognize his players' strengths.

FIRE PEP.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You're starting to catch on, Soll. But I'm teling you, TRich can do so much more in a functional offensive system. And it's not just TRich. Hilton, Luck, Brazill, Rogers, DHB, Fleener, even Brown --- they are ALL capable of being weapons, and having so much more production.

Been harping on this for weeks now... TRich is the only one of those guys catching any flack for some inexplicable reason. I can almost guarantee, if our playcalling and o-line execution got fixed, you'd be LOVING these guys. It can still happen, but Pep needs to get his head out of his *** and Grigs needs to call up Mudd for some consulting.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anyone remember the last time we did no-huddle? I mean seriously? Luck is a freak at that, and calling his own plays.

I get the feeling now it's all being phoned in from Pep. And it sucks. SET LUCK LOOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Does anyone remember the last time we did no-huddle? I mean seriously? Luck is a freak at that, and calling his own plays.

I get the feeling now it's all being phoned in from Pep. And it sucks. SET LUCK LOOSE.
    Does anyone remember the last time we did no-huddle?

Does anyone remember the last time we consistently tried to run it out of a passing formation?

Does anyone remember the last time a game didn't consist of mostly hideous Pep formations, sometimes with Hilton sitting on the bench?

Does anyone remember the last time we tried to give our running backs a chance to catch the ball out of the backfield, in particularly T-Rich who is good at it?

Does anyone remember the last time we tried to consistently roll Luck out instead of letting him get drilled in the pocket all game?

Does anyone remember the last time we tried quick slants and screens to utilize the speed of DHB and Hilton?

Does anyone remember the last time our offense showed any creativity that you would expect from an NFL offensive coordinator who has one of the best quarterbacks in the league at his disposal?

Does anyone remember when watching this offense wasn't the most boring soul-crushing thing ever?

If you isolate the last few weeks this probably isn't true (although if you just isolate it to Richardson's time on the time it might be), but the 2013 Colts offense for the season has still been more efficient than the 2012 version. Slightly less yards per drive, but significantly better in points per drive and a humongous difference in turnovers per drive.

Brown kind of did during the Titans game what I expected. Below average for what you want, a few negative carries to drive down the yard per average, with some flashes of very good. That's essentially what's been happening to Richardson, except Richardson hasn't had those flashes. Both of the last two games that Brown has gotten carries the Colts have put together big drives using power formations. What makes Brown able to have occasional success behind power formations that makes Richardson struggle?

That's really the reason the Colts switched. I would hope they know the OL is the big culprit letting too many players into the backfield. It's what happens on the plays where the OL doesn't do that though which is the reason Brown is in there. He has been able to take advantage of those better than Richardson has. Richardson did do the one big thing the Colts asked him to do in this game though which was to pick up that 4th and 1.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I came around a bit with that performance, but I still think Trent has a lot to work on when it comes to vision and finding another hole.

With that said though I think Pep just compounds the issue even further. Yes, our offensive line, especially the interior OL, has been awful this season, but when you continue to just trout these obvious running formations you do nothing to help the running game. You pull TY off the field and do a three tight end formation in the middle of the field we all know you are freaking running the ball. A lot of the time there just is no threat to actually pass the ball so the defense knows it will be a run.

Why not try more three and four wide formations and run out of that? Why not give Trent some draw plays in the shotgun after letting Luck throw it a bit? Trent will never be the focal point of the offense. The focal point that drives this offense is Luck and they need to realize that. Let Luck loosen them up and force them to bring the DBs out and then let Trent bulldoze them.

The play yesterday along the goal-line where we took TY off and had absolutely no threat of a pass summed it all up. The defense did not respect the lone WR out there. They just stacked the box and DB got stuffed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Richardson has had some DHB level drops as a Colt. I think they've lost confidence in his ability to catch the ball. Is there a site that tracks targets? I'd like to see how many receptions he has versus targets. Both as a Colt and as a Brown.

I did not pay much attention to him as a Brown so I don't know if he actually caught the ball better or they just continued to throw to him (something the Colts don't appear to be willing to do).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Richardson has had some DHB level drops as a Colt. I think they've lost confidence in his ability to catch the ball. Is there a site that tracks targets? I'd like to see how many receptions he has versus targets. Both as a Colt and as a Brown.

I did not pay much attention to him as a Brown so I don't know if he actually caught the ball better or they just continued to throw to him (something the Colts don't appear to be willing to do).
    There's not a receiver on this team that hasn't had some bad drops.

I am not a big Trich fan at this junction but will agree that we have too many inexperienced people running this show. I'm talking about Grig, Pep, Pagano, and whomever else is responsible for the inability to play to the strengths of the team.

It's a lot better to see Luck run than sacked.

The trouble with next man up is that is who we are playing with.
    Last edited by speakout4; 12-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.

It's funny, having spent so many years watching Peyton run this offense has spoiled us. But not only spoiled us, but has shown us what a proper offense should be like. I'm ALL for having more run plays than we did during the Peyton era, but dear god, you have to play to the strengths of the team. Right now, your best players are your QB and Hilton/Fleener. Why do you continue to force the run out of obvious running formations, and why do you take your best players off the field...ever? Unless TY runs out of breath, he should never leave the field. This has been harped on by everyone here, but there is zero creativity in the offense. The personnel is an issue, but they are not THIS bad. You can mask a lot of the problems by running more 3-4 WR sets and running draw plays. Or play action. Or designed QB draws. Or rolling Luck out of the pocket. Quick slants. Curls. Comebacks. Anything to get the ball out of Luck's hands before he gets pummeled. Included in this is utilizing your RBs in the passing game. For the love of god, any of these ideas would work. Your RBs aren't designed just for running into the porous sieve that is our offensive line. Get them into space and let them do what they do.

Can we steal Tom Moore from Arizona for a few games?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

I think they have lost faith in him rushing the ball. It's not like he has disappointed the team in catching the ball. He has been targeted 22 times and has made 14 receptions out of them while averaging 9.1 yards. That's pretty good. Why don't they use him in the passing game with screen passes is beyond me. What is more, you will use DHB at what he's doing best. Run blocking. Yayyyyyyyyy!

You **** up once, you lose two teeth

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

I agree with this. Luck should be in the no huddle and calling his own plays the majority of the snaps.

Still not convinced TR should be the tailback during those stretches. Brown seems to thrive in situations where the defense is on its heals.

I found a picture of the missed hole against Arizona:

Guess what direction he ran in? Hint, it's not the red one.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but this illustrates in a nutshell the criticism of T-Rich. Yes, the line has certainly been horrible for the most part, but on those rare occasions where he has something to work with like the massive hole above, he blows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Guess what direction he ran in? Hint, it's not the red one.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but this illustrates in a nutshell the criticism of T-Rich. Yes, the line has certainly been horrible for the most part, but on those rare occasions where he has something to work with like the massive hole above, he blows it.
    "Offensive line"

Rare is right. All but the LG, which I'm assuming is Thornton, have gotten a good push*. Can probably count the number of times that happens in a game on one hand.

*Although without looking at the progression of events, it looks like Cherilus got beat to the inside and some how came up with a pancake.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So who's gonna post the holes that DBrown has missed?

I got news for y'all; RBs "miss" holes on occasion. It's part of the game. I don't see how posting a pic of TRich missing a hole means that he's somehow bad at this. It's a wham-bam sequence, there are designs and places that they are sposed to go to and holes that open up in an instant and close down in an instant and they have to process all that in a micro-second. It doesn't always work out.

This is like posting an instance when Luck makes a bad play. Guess what --- it happens. It doesn't represent the norm and it's normal.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Yes, the offensive line is miserable and probably deserves much of the blame for not only Richardson's struggles, but for the entire Colts offense. But Richardson shows absolutely no burst. He looks and runs slow. Put him behind a decent Oline and he probably becomes an average-slightly above average RB. But he certainly looks far from being one of the top RBs in the NFL.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

So who's gonna post the holes that DBrown has missed?

I got news for y'all; RBs "miss" holes on occasion. It's part of the game. I don't see how posting a pic of TRich missing a hole means that he's somehow bad at this. It's a wham-bam sequence, there are designs and places that they are sposed to go to and holes that open up in an instant and close down in an instant and they have to process all that in a micro-second. It doesn't always work out.

This is like posting an instance when Luck makes a bad play. Guess what --- it happens. It doesn't represent the norm and it's normal.

I'll back off if someone can post me a couple pictures of T-Rich hitting holes this season like Brown has at least been able to do a few times this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'll back off if someone can post me a couple pictures of T-Rich hitting holes this season like Brown has at least been able to do a few times this year.
    What's the point? Trent Richardson has done absolutely nothing in his NFL career to lead anyone to believe he is anything better than average. No matter how much evidence or what it is, KM will simply not admit this under any circumstances. Honestly, I would respect his opinion a lot more if he admitted Richardson is at least partially to blame for this, but he can't do it. It's 90% the offensive line, 10% play calling, 0% Trent. At least the rest of us are willing to acknowledge other factors, because I think we all know the line is bad and Pep's play calling, well, it has it's own thread already.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: