Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts bench Trent Richardson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts bench Trent Richardson

Probably deserves its own thread:

Before the last time the Colts played the Titans, NFL Network reported that the Colts would still send a first-round pick to the Browns for running back Trent Richardson. Before the rematch, NFL Network reports that Richardson has been benched.

Yes, it has taken only 17 days for the team’s defiance to become resignation. Richardson, whose per-carry average has dipped to 2.9 yards for the season after gaining 22 yards against the Titans and 15 against the Cardinals, will ride the pine in favor of 2009 first-round pick Donald Brown.

Mike Silver reported the benching. Ian Rapoport, who reported previously that the Colts would still make the trade for Trent, explained that a Colts source called it a “bottom-line business,” and that a change needed to be made.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nt-richardson/

With the division on the line today, the Colts are saying that they've had enough with giving T-Rich starting opportunities and that Brown is the better starting option. Pretty telling.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-01-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: Colts bench Trent Richardson

This is the type of deal that sets a franchise back years. The Colts need all the draft picks they can get and instead threw away a FIRST rounder for a guy who is better at banging three chicks than he is running the ball.

This is the kind of deal is that the Colts would have made in the 80s and 90s when they were the joke of the NFL.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the type of deal that sets a franchise back years. The Colts need all the draft picks they can get and instead threw away a FIRST rounder for a guy who is better at banging three chicks than he is running the ball.

This is the kind of deal is that the Colts would have made in the 80s and 90s when they were the joke of the NFL.
    Agreed. Just a complete disaster of a trade.

I posted this astute analysis from the poster GoBigBlue88 at coltfreaks:

http://coltfreaks.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=508

Look, Trent Richardson just isn't a good RB. I'm sorry some of you need this spelled out for you every week, but he's not. Great example today -- off-tackle run where TE drives his man wide, Castonzo seals off the interior defender. Wide open hole for Richardson. He hits it running hard in one direction, he goes 10 yards before he encounters a defender. Instead, he stutter steps in the hole. There is no reason for doing this, no defender around. He just stutter steps because he's unsure. And he's so slow, he gets tripped up from behind. Gain of 2. This guy is slow, and turns 10-yard gains into 2-yard gains. It was a terrible trade. No amount of practice, coaching or offseason will make it a good trade. At best, his future is a 3rd down or goal line back.

There isn't a soul out there who would deny that the line is awful. But over the course of the season, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, and there have been instances such as the above where the line manages to clear a hole. T-Rich stutter steps and is slow. He is never able to maximize an opportunity like a good or even average running back.

I tried sipping the Koolaide on this. I don't watch the Browns, but I was under the impression that we were getting a somewhat good running back. But it's clear now that this is a disaster of a trade. Some might feel that T-Rich is getting picked on, but it's hard for some fans to get over trading a first round draft pick for a guy who is getting benched in a game where the division is on the line. This move basically confirms that the Colts are admitting that the trade was a flop and that Richardson isn't good. It's not as if T-Rich is being benched for Barry Sanders. Brown is solid, but he has never been anything special.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh. What is this team doing.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keep an eye on the line today, watch, they'll play out of their minds and everyone will proclaim DBrown the Next Coming, a week after he had 1 yard rushing. The way this team has conducted itself in the past month is ridiculous. Irsay needs to control himself... this is a knee-jerk reaction, and doesn't address the main issue of our terrible Oline and bad play-calling.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Keep an eye on the line today, watch, they'll play out of their minds and everyone will proclaim DBrown the Next Coming, a week after he had 1 yard rushing. The way this team has conducted itself in the past month is ridiculous. Irsay needs to control himself... this is a knee-jerk reaction, and doesn't address the main issue of our terrible Oline and bad play-calling.
    You think Irsay or anyone else with the Colts enjoys admitting that they traded the first round pick for a flop? No way. It has to be painful. But the Colts are trying to win the division today. We have a poor O-Line, but T-Rich is a slow runner who stutter steps and never takes advantage when the O-Line clears holes. Yes, it's extremely rare for this line to clear a nice hole, but see my above post which quotes the poster from Coltfreaks articulating how T-Rich missed a wide open hole that would have led to at least a 10 yard gain against AZ. T-Rich is just a bad running back who runs as if he has cement in his legs. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

My guess is that the line will generally suck today, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then and they will create a couple of holes for Brown to run through. Unlike T-Rich, he will make the most of them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't give a **** how bad Irsay feels. He blew up Twitter on the trade like a little kid. He now looks stupid for benching him after saying just a few weeks ago that they'd still do the trade. This is ALL a sign of terrible management, and making one their pawns a fall guy.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.

I don't give a **** how bad Irsay feels. He blew up Twitter on the trade like a little kid. He now looks stupid for benching him after saying just a few weeks ago that they'd still do the trade. This is ALL a sign of terrible management, and making one their pawns a fall guy.

It's the sign of an organization who stubbornly didn't want to admit that they made an awful trade (understandable to a point), but when they are now finding themselves in a position where the division is on the line, they are abandoning the sunk cost fallacy and going with the player who they think will give them the best chance to win today.

You act as if we're benching Walter Payton. There's nothing wrong with this move. T-Rich has added nothing all season. What is wrong with trying something else today?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No I'm not. This is a stupid move. They have much bigger things to fix.

The proper way to fix this debacle is to put Pep in his place and change the gameplan, and hire someone to come in and fix this joke of a line. Instead, they promote the guy who had 1 yard last week.

Absolute stupidity.

No I'm not. This is a stupid move. They have much bigger things to fix.
    How is this a stupid move? What has T-Rich given us this season as a starter that we will be without today? What has T-Rich done this season to show that he's better than Donald Brown?

Benching Luck for Hasselbeck because the offense has been bad would be a stupid move. Benching a running back who has shown nothing all season is not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just done with it. My focus is on watching for changes in playcalling and line play. That's where our problems are.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Hopefully this lights a fire under Richardson's ***.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Just done with it. My focus is on watching for changes in playcalling and line play. That's where our problems are.
    It never has been an either/or thing. Saying that T-Rich isn't good does not mean that one absolves the line or play calling. The line is awful. The play calling is hideous. But T-Rich has been horrid too.

Yes, Donald Brown had 1 yard last week......in 2 attempts. T-Rich had 15 yards on 7 attempts. The line is clearly the main reason for the lack of running game success, but T-Rich has never shown that he has been able to take advantage when the line does create those rare holes (there was a perfect example of this last week).

I wouldn't expect a change in play calling. Pagano/Pep are ridiculously stubborn with their my way or the highway attitude. Will we run out of passing situations today to keep the defense guessing? I doubt it. Will we find creative ways to get our best playmaker (Hilton) the ball? I'd be surprised if we did. Will we roll Luck out? No, we'll probably continue to allow him to get murdered in the pocket.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't agree that he's been horrid. Every one of our offensive guys have had bad production in the past month. That indicates a problem with the system, not the parts.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I don't agree that he's been horrid. Every one of our offensive guys have had bad production in the past month. That indicates a problem with the system, not the parts.
    While the offense has collectively been bad, virtually all of our offensive guys have shown SOMETHING over the last month. T.Y. had a huge game against Houston and a pretty good one against St. Louis. Luck led impressive comebacks against Houston and Tennessee. Fleener has played well at times.

T-Rich is probably the only skill player on the team who has never really shown anything at any point in the season. That's the difference. There's really no moment that you can point to and say, "he really had it going that game and you can see that the potential is there." No such game exists. If he would have taken advantage of that hole against AZ, then you could say, "see, that's what he can do when he has a hole". But on those rare occasions when he gets a nice hole, he manages to stutter step and blow it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We've been over this, Sollozo, I don't agree.

Ugh. What is this team doing.
    It's doing what it should have done about four weeks ago. Brown has outperformed Richardson every week with the same line.

The best player should be starting, and there's no conceivable way to say Richardson has been the better player. I'm confused as to why this is even being argued.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Again... disagree.

Well... I thought today was the day and I gambled and started Trent Richardson. So his benching is my fault. My team is out of the playoff hunt anyway so it was a hail Mary on my part. Although I figured the Colts would stubbornly stick with him...
    He could still vulture a TD for me if the Colts can get close to the goal line. Not that getting to the redzone, let alone goal line, is a given at this point...
    Last edited by Bball; 12-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Again... disagree.
    The Colts had to do something to shake things up and this was the easiest and quickest move they could make (along with jettisoning Reed). I don't see the problem with it. It's not like we're benching Luck and it's not like Richardson has been anything but disappointing no matter who you blame it on.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Richardson has been given ample opportunities to show he can contribute something....ANYTHING.... and has gotten worse each week. He needs to sit. Donald Brown has at least shown a pulse since the bye.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

O LINE.

I'm of the believe they should stop running the ball. It's not working
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm of the believe they should stop running the ball. It's not working
    That's for sure. It's not how you win games. It's how you ice games you've already won.

Maybe they can convert him into a fullback and he can compete with Havili for snaps next season