Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Wizards Post Game Thread: LANCE! LANCE! lance.

Default Re: Pacers Wizards Post Game Thread: LANCE! LANCE! lance.

Every little bit helps. The shorthand Clips had to play OT to beat the King. All their starters played at least 37 minutes. While none of ours did. Lance was closest with 36 minutes.

Not to mention their game ended what 4 hours after ours. Like I said every little bit helps.

Lets get the road trip started on the right track.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er
    Plus Lance was starting show boat out there a bit and that would have garnered some retribution from the Wizards.
    right.

but who cares.
    I know many will disagree....but I actually care.

First off, so that all of you know where I am coming from.....I agree that Lance ( overall ) had an amazing game against the Wizards. There was some "ups" ( 10 reb / 10 assists ) but there were also some "downs" ( 8 turnovers ). Like always....he can be the "X-Factor" in any game. With a 20+ point lead ( like in this game )....I'm okay with such "showcasing"....cuz at that point....we can afford to see Lance put on a "show" even if it translates into 8 turnovers over the course of the game.

I will say that I ( like many here ) will always be in awe of his passing and court vision that translates into me jumping out of my seat. But speaking in "general" terms....and not to the specifics of this game....I will repeat what I have said in other Game threads, I'm not a fan of Lance and his fancy passes. I don't really like "showboating" of this nature.

I know that many of you will probably disagree with this post and say that I am being a "party pooper" here, but I just hope that Lance knows when to "turn on" the showboating and when to "turn it off". In a game ( and I'm not talking about this game ) where the Pacers play Elite Level Teams that just feast on the other Team making mistakes......we can't afford to make mistakes. For every "DAMN!!!! did you see that pass?" that Lance makes over the course of the game, there is often a corresponding "DAMN! Why the EFF did he try to make that pass?" that Lance makes.

To be clear, before you start writing a huge "What are you smoking?" post....please re-read my post before you embark on such a post . I am not trying to take anything away from Lance and his performance in this last game.....I'm just saying ( overall ) that I really hope ( if not expect ) that with experience ....Lance can learn to run a more controlled offense where he can create more opportunities for the rest of the Team as opposed to lost opportunities from him creating turnovers.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-30-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I thought it was badass, but it could've been perfect if it were right in Watson's lap, he did have to reach a bit for it, also it was to a 3 pointer which isn't as cool as if it were a lob or something then ESPN would've gone crazy.
    These type of passes are SO much harder than simple lobs. The one to PG in the first quarter was beautiful. That thing should be the #1 play for the next month.

I really get a little annoyed when passes are ignored by top plays for some reason. That pass to PG took a lot of awareness and even more impressive took some serious balls to throw.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    These type of passes are SO much harder than simple lobs. The one to PG in the first quarter was beautiful. That thing should be the #1 play for the next month.

I really get a little annoyed when passes are ignored by top plays for some reason. That pass to PG took a lot of awareness and even more impressive took some serious balls to throw.
    FYI....I was watching NBATV GameTime...and the Assist of the Night went to some inbound pass to Wesley Johnson ( which led to a dunk ) by Steve Blake. Maybe they filmed the GameTime before the Pacer game...I have no idea...but even I can see that Lance's behind the back pass should get better recognition that Blake's inbound pass.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    I think he should have called a timeout. Told lance he had one 3 to get it And they would run the play for him. But make or miss he would be coming out afterwards. But thats my too cents.
    Are you implying that he needed be told he was a 3 shy? Lol Lance knew exactly what he needed for a triple double. He was very clearly seeking it out as early as the 2nd quarter. If you watch Lance after any good play he makes he comes back down the court looking at the stat board. The guy is always VERY aware of his stat lines lol. I don't mind it against these poor teams as these type of things seem to help keep him engaged, but I do hope in tighter/harder games he doesn't let his stat-seeking get in the way of the game. It clearly effected the way he played tonight as you could see once he got to 9 assists he was forcing a lot of tough passes resulting in TOs, then once he got the 10th assist he then clearly knew he just needed the points as he was trying to score every time he touched the ball from that point on. Again doesn't bother me in these kind of games and was fun watching his play-making ability, but it was kind of off-putting seeing him try so overly-hard to where it got us out of our flow just to get it for him. I know he says in his post game interviews that he just lets it come in the flow of the game but that is just obviously not true anyone that watched that game knew he knew what he needed each play and could tell that the stat he needed dictated his play. He also got a lane violation trying to rebound a missed FT to get his 10th rebound. I love watching Lance play and watching his play-making is a thing of beauty but come on Lance if you get a triple double you get a triple double don't letting the meaning of a triple double get watered down by forcing them.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

I didn't watch tonight's game with sound and I was at a bar, so my attention was not exactly undivided, but reading through Twitter and some of these threads, I'm going to pose a potentially unpopular question: Is Lance getting a little too cocky out there?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I didn't watch tonight's game with sound and I was at a bar, so my attention was not exactly undivided, but reading through Twitter and some of these threads, I'm going to pose a potentially unpopular question: Is Lance getting a little too cocky out there?
    IMHO.....I think so.

I feel that it fuels his ability to create shots and scoring opportunities for both himself and others ( such as the no-look pass to Scola and the behind the back pass to CJ ) fires up the crowd and Team that simply feeds the overall success of the Team.

But I also think that it can lead to mistakes from time to time ( such as "roll your eyes" turnovers ) and ( unknowingly ) p*ss off and inspire the other Team ( such as his "choking" gesture to LeDecision 2 seasons ago ) to go out and win at all costs.

For now, I see that this can just be a sign that he hasn't reached his full maturity yet...and I hope that Bird/Vogel are able to "ground him" ( a little ). But I get the sense that this is just part of his personality and something that will always be a part of who he is as a Player. He simply needs a certain sense of cockiness in order to do the amazing things that we see him do. In the end, I think that this cockiness of his will always be a double-edged sword. But then again, he wouldn't be called the "X-Factor" for nothing.

Again...JMHO.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Frank Vogel is awesome.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    IMHO.....I think so.

I feel that it fuels his ability to create shots and scoring opportunities for both himself and others ( such as the no-look pass to Scola and the behind the back pass to CJ ) fires up the crowd and Team that simply feeds the overall success of the Team.

But I also think that it can lead to mistakes from time to time ( such as "roll your eyes" turnovers ) and ( unknowingly ) p*ss off and inspire the other Team ( such as his "choking" gesture to LeDecision 2 seasons ago ) to go out and win at all costs.

For now, I see that this can just be a sign that he hasn't reached his full maturity yet...and I hope that Bird/Vogel are able to "ground him" ( a little ). But I get the sense that this is just part of his personality and something that will always be a part of who he is as a Player. He simply needs a certain sense of cockiness in order to do the amazing things that we see him do. In the end, I think that this cockiness of his will always be a double-edged sword. But then again, he wouldn't be called the "X-Factor" for nothing.

Again...JMHO.
    On the positive side, Lance also has the ability to electrify the entire NBA. His potential is that large. He is the ultimate performer who loves and understands the stage.

He also has more ability than anyone on our team, maybe anyone in the NBA, to win a psychological battle with Lebron.

Yes, Lance is a two edged sword. But let's not forget just how sharp the good side is.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    He also has more ability than anyone on our team, maybe anyone in the NBA, to win a psychological battle with Lebron.

Lancey: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
    LeBron: You're that smart?
    Lancey: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
    LeBron: Yes.
    Lancey: Morons.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

I think that Magic Stephenson is smart enough to know not to pull a stunt like that in a close game. We were blowing the Wizards out so his forced shots were not putting the game in jeopardy. I understand the lesson that Vogel taught him, but I don't think there was too much harm in what Magic Stephenson was doing. Born knows not to pull a stunt like that in a close playoff game against Miami.

Of course Lance is cocky. That's what gives him his swagger. He wouldn't be the same player if he wasn't so cocky, and the Pacers wouldn't be 15-1 without him.

Easily one of the most exciting Pacers I've ever watched. There is only one Magic Stephenson.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Every little bit helps. The shorthand Clips had to play OT to beat the King. All their starters played at least 37 minutes. While none of ours did. Lance was closest with 36 minutes.

Not to mention their game ended what 4 hours after ours. Like I said every little bit helps.

Lets get the road trip started on the right track.
    They also lost Redick to a wrist injury last night, he did not return to the game.

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 10h

JJ Redick said his wrist is in significant pain, swollen and throbbing. He said he hopes to have a MRI performed on it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 11-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think that Magic Stephenson is smart enough to know not to pull a stunt like that in a close game. We were blowing the Wizards out so his forced shots were not putting the game in jeopardy. I understand the lesson that Vogel taught him, but I don't think there was too much harm in what Magic Stephenson was doing. Born knows not to pull a stunt like that in a close playoff game against Miami.

Of course Lance is cocky. That's what gives him his swagger. He wouldn't be the same player if he wasn't so cocky, and the Pacers wouldn't be 15-1 without him.

Easily one of the most exciting Pacers I've ever watched. There is only one Magic Stephenson.
    I continue to pray that Lance turns that swagger into Westbook mentality, and not Tyreke or Jennings "it's all about me ball". I still think he could go both ways, but this particular team environment is about the best hope he has for learning to control that energy. I think Vogel handled the circumstance last night masterfully.

The leash is now off, he's getting the fan and media attention... so lets see how he handles it.

(prays again)

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

You know a team is really rolling when the ENTIRE post game thread is dedicated to a player that didn't even score in double figures tonight. Lol

Whether you think Lance is the second coming of magic, or a guy who's showboating and maddening plays will cost us against actual good teams is irrelevant tonight. This is a Great team doing Great things and imposing their will against yet another inferior opponent. Let's keep it going.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Think if Lance had sprained his ankle trying to get a triple double. Everyone would have freaked at everyone. Better to just take him out, but I really wanted to see him get that 3. Bankers Life would have exploded.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/#/story/re...wizards-131129

"I love to see guys get triple-doubles. I like seeing our players have individual success but you can’t make moves that could compromise the next game. You just can’t do that. First of all, he’s showboating a little with a 23-point lead. That’s where guys take shots at you. You play in 36 hours, you get him out. Plus, I was trying to prevent him from getting it the wrong way ... 10 turnovers." – Vogel on pulling Stephenson

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Good Lance > Bad Lance.

The positive on Bad Lance is this could likely be the reason why a contract outside the Pacers ability to pay may never materialize. Just hope Bad Lance doesn't make too many appearances in the playoffs.

The entry pass to Scola was one of the best dimes of the year. Hopefully these two can continue to jell and be a factor when scoring gets tough in the postseason.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Meh, yes and no. He was great most of the game but into the 4th he started playing for stats doing just really stupid stuff. It was a blowout so it wasn't a big deal but I'm never a fan of playing for numbers. Honestly wasn't a big fan of his body language when Frank pulled him. I mean, I know it looks nice in a box score, but does a triple double you have to manufacture really count?

Mood

You guys have to look at it as Lance has been making pennies the last two years compared to other starters. So at least from Lances perspective I'm sure he knows that the better his stats are this year and the more triple doubles and the more highlight plays he gets all equals more money for him next year. Which may not be the best thing for us, but certainly is for him and his families future.

Mood

Bad Lance still concerns me, but Good Lance is pretty damn good and exciting.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

"Bad Lance" better rear his head less and less often. That will determine whether or not he becomes a great player in this league earning respect...or just another losing type of talent like J.R. Smith. It is truly up to him.

At the same time, the Pacers better study him like he's a final exam. We don't need another Artest to destroy the franchise. With that said, I am a huge Lance supporter. I just know that "bad Lance" takes away from his game and his team.

Edit: having flashbacks of good and bad Tinsley...
    LeWade are going down.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Meh, yes and no. He was great most of the game but into the 4th he started playing for stats doing just really stupid stuff. It was a blowout so it wasn't a big deal but I'm never a fan of playing for numbers. Honestly wasn't a big fan of his body language when Frank pulled him. I mean, I know it looks nice in a box score, but does a triple double you have to manufacture really count?
    To piggy-back VideoVandel....I think that Lance does pay attention to his Stats. I'd hope that Vogel and Bird are able to help reign him in....because I'm hoping that he doesn't become a Stat-Stuffer or the guy that showboats at the detriment of the Team. Clearly, Vogel didn't like it given his comments.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    "Bad Lance" better rear his head less and less often. That will determine whether or not he becomes a great player in this league earning respect...or just another losing type of talent like J.R. Smith. It is truly up to him.

At the same time, the Pacers better study him like he's a final exam. We don't need another Artest to destroy the franchise. With that said, I am a huge Lance supporter. I just know that "bad Lance" takes away from his game and his team.

Yeah, you're right. I'm still a bit nervous about what might change when we give him a big, long term contract this summer. Or if someone makes him an offer he can't refuse to leave Indiana, God help that franchise if they don't have the support structure in place, the winning culture in place, that this team does. If some bad franchise pays him to be 'the man' for them (like, say, Charlotte or something)... ouch. I'm not sure that will work out well in the long run.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    You guys have to look at it as Lance has been making pennies the last two years compared to other starters. So at least from Lances perspective I'm sure he knows that the better his stats are this year and the more triple doubles and the more highlight plays he gets all equals more money for him next year. Which may not be the best thing for us, but certainly is for him and his families future.
    You are right here....Lance is in a contract year...so I know that he has to do his best to perform and show potential future employers what he can do so that he can earn as much as he can.

I guess that he has to do his best to walk the thin line between showcasing his skills and doing what is best for the Team.

IMHO...I am very sure that he has played himself into the $7 to 8 mil a year range...and likely still going up. His Market value maybe $7+ mil...but I guarantee you that some team will overpay him.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

At least last night I think the team was trying to get Lance the shots and points to get his triple double.... Unlike Bad Tinsley in Phoenix who was on his own little mission (that I will never understand) and had no regard for the team and what they wanted.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: