Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West replacement ?

Default West replacement ?

Probably a little overly preemptive thinking here and hopefully David's below the rim, cerebral style of play allows him to play longer than most at a championship level but I can't help but think we need to start at least considering if there is a guy out there we should target after probably next season....at that point Scola is likely gone, and West has just 1 year left....I would love to find a guy that we could bring along beneath West....Indiana a has proven to be a great developer of talent over the past few seasons and I'm concerned with our lack of Depth up front from a prospect standpoint.....are there any guys currently in the league that fit that enforcer, midrange mold to compliment Roy ?

My first thought is Jared Sullinger....similar size and build to West and I think similar skill set. I don't think he has shown enough yet to really price himself out of our range but 1.5 seasons is a long time and he could very well do just that....but I'd love to see him play with and under West for a season or two to learn the nuances of how he plays the game and fits into our system....I think it could be a seamless transition.....anyhoo just looking ahead.

Default Re: West replacement ?

When West is no longer viable as a starting PF, I would hope he would either be retiring or be willing to come off of the bench for a lot less money. As for someone who can play physical defense and hit the mid-range jumper, I think a dream candidate would be Al Horford. Pretty sure he makes too much, however. Perhaps Paul Milsap, although he's a little undersized. Truth is, I think that West's replacement for us isn't in the league yet. We're looking 3-4 years down the road, here, at which point all the rest of our guys will be at their peak or entering their decline. I think given the salary situation with our other guys at that point, you're going to have to draft that guy to save salary.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

I honestly have no idea right now.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I'm sure we'll worry about that when the time comes. Hopefully it won't be for 3 or 4 more years, and by then players will be clamoring to come play for a team that has won championships and still has potential to win more.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think given the salary situation with our other guys at that point, you're going to have to draft that guy to save salary.
    That's what I think, too. Maybe not next year (we don't have a first rounder) but over the next 2-3 years I guess we'll be drafting potential replacements.

One good thing is that Paul G gives us a lot of positional flexibility. I could see him playing some PF a la LeBron if the roster situation calls for it.

I'll narrow the list down... not Tyler Hansbrough.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

David is 33....I just don't see him playing at a starter level and minutes past the age of 35 or so. Not if we are wanting to compete for a championship. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see it in the draft....not if we continue to
    Be a top 5 team in the league. Always that outside chance we get lucky with a late pick but the odds are stacked against it. It's easier in my opinion to find a diamond in the rough wing late in the draft than a viable starter quality big.

I like Horford but I don't see him in our price range. I really wish we hadn't been forced to move Plumlee in the Scola deal....although I really see him as more of a C that can play some PF.

Speaking of developing talent.....I still really like Greg Smith over in Houston....he played with PG in college and showed some real flashes last year....he's buried over there now....he could likely be had for very little or even cut at some point.

I also don't see PG ever being a real candidate at PF....not even in small ball scenarios....he just doesn't have the build that Lebron does and while I think he can continue to add strength I don't think be ever has that kind of mass.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wylder1324 For This Useful Post:

I read an interview with West online where he said this is his last contract. I swear.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

We acquired a starter-quality PF in a trade this year, as well as our long term point guard in a trade for a draft pick. I would not be surprised if that's how we acquire our next power forward either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I read an interview with West online where he said this is his last contract. I swear.
    If you're being serious this actually wouldn't surprise me. He seems like a guy who has both managed his money well and has a lot of interests outside of basketball.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    If you're being serious this actually wouldn't surprise me. He seems like a guy who has both managed his money well and has a lot of interests outside of basketball.
    Completely serious. But I don't know where I read it. Looked for it once and couldn't find it. Probably on Pacers.com.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Completely serious. But I don't know where I read it. Looked for it once and couldn't find it. Probably on Pacers.com.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacer...ent-david-west

The video clip down on the right, he answers a question about it. He's asked if this is his last contract, and he said most likely.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    When West is no longer viable as a starting PF, I would hope he would either be retiring or be willing to come off of the bench for a lot less money. As for someone who can play physical defense and hit the mid-range jumper, I think a dream candidate would be Al Horford. Pretty sure he makes too much, however.
    Actually Al Harford makes the same amount of money as West right now, but he will probably get a pay raise for his next contract. He is essentially the younger version of David West.

I think we should just worry about getting West a ring right now!

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Actually Al Horford................. essentially the younger version of David West.
    Minus the BAMF attitude.

And you can't teach that. West has had it from the day he was born. Horford seems to play soft compared to West. But then, most PFs do.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'll narrow the list down... not Tyler Hansbrough.
    I wish we had him just for tonight's game.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I would like a Tony Mitchell or a Dejuan Blair.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jermaine O'Neal is playing pretty well these days

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I honestly have no idea right now.
    Yeah, the NBA/Power Forward position in general could and likely will look very different in 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Jermaine O'Neal is playing pretty well these days
    Did someone say the next Jeff Foster?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

We will rue the day we spurned the artist formerly known as Pendergraph.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

It is way too early for that. First we need to worry about keeping Lance this summer as it's looking like Danny isn't even in the picture. Then our biggest worry ever and that's when Hibbert opts out the following year. We'll need to do whatever it takes to keep him. We won't have any money to replace West with in all likelihood when we do get to the end of his contract so I don't know what we'll do.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Don't get me wrong because I love Roy and what he's doing this year but in my opinion there is no way he gets a raise without more production on offense on a consistent level.

Mood

Why are we looking ahead 3-4 years from now? He JUST signed his deal this summer! Hell, the ink is probably still wet!

Waaaaay too much basketball ahead of us before we start worrying about that. My goodness.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post: