Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza Hut GM fired for refusing to make his employees work on Thanksgiving

Default Pizza Hut GM fired for refusing to make his employees work on Thanksgiving

This isn't too far from where I grew up too. Speaking of Pizza that's what my dad and I are going to have on Thanksgiving well that or maybe Chinese food.

Kind of funny hearing this story now.

But I think one day off isn't going to hurt anyone.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/man-s...z/-/index.html

Man says he was fired for refusing to work Thanksgiving
    Refused to open Thanksgiving

ELKHART -
    Many stores and restaurants will be open this year on Thanksgiving Day, and one local man says he lost his job because of it.

Tony Rohr worked at Pizza Hut for more than ten years, but says he was fired recently because he refused to open on Thanksgiving.

He says he doesn't think people should have to work on a holiday like Thanksgiving.

He started at Pizza Hut as a cook and worked his way up to being a general manager of the Jackson Boulevard Pizza Hut in Elkhart.

He was told opening on Thanksgiving this year was mandatory, so at a meeting with his superiors he decided to take a stand.

"I said, 'Why can't we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees and they can have the day off?'"

Tony says it wasn't about him. It was about his employees.

He told his bosses that he would not open the restaurant he managed on Thanksgiving.

"Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two days that they're closed in the whole year and they're the only two days that those people are guaranteed to have off and spend it with their families," Rohr says.

Rohr says he was told to sign a letter of resignation.

He refused.. instead he wrote a letter explaining his position to his boss.

In the letter he wrote, "I am not quitting. I do not resign, however I accept that the refusal to comply with this greedy, immoral request means the end of my tenure with this company."

"I hope you realize that it's the people at the bottom of the totem pole that make your life possible," his letter went on to say.

We tried contacting Pizza Hut's headquarters but did not hear back.

Rohr's girlfriend and his family support his actions.

Rohr is still unemployed and looking for a new job.

He says it was worth it.

"They're still going to be open. I'm sure they're still going to sell pizza but I just didn't think it was right."

Again we left a message for Pizza Hut's headquarters in Texas but never heard back.

We did speak to one of Rohr's bosses on the phone who is the director of operations for several Pizza Hut locations in Indiana and Illinois.

He tells me Rohr was not fired but that he quit.

He says opening on Thanksgiving wasn't an individual's decision it was a company decision.

The man also pointed out that Pizza Hut's choice to be open on Thanksgiving is in line with several other national and local stores and restaurants.

Rohr says he plans to spend Thanksgiving with his girlfriend and his parents in South Bend.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pizza Hut GM fired for refusing to make his employees work on Thanksgiving

That's tough. I see his point, but I don't know if it was worth getting fired over or not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pizza Hut GM fired for refusing to make his employees work on Thanksgiving

^This is really crappy of Pizza Hut. Retailers, OK, maybe it is a big shopping day or whatever. But how much could Pizza Hut lose by closing on Thanksgiving? What I'm saying is, do people even go to Pizza Hut on Thanksgiving?

I bet he had employees that would have been willing to work the holiday and get paid time and a half. He should have asked for volunteers.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rohr says he plans to spend Thanksgiving with his girlfriend and his parents in South Bend.
    Probably moving his stuff back in.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I can see both sides of this story. Admire him for taking a stand, but if the company decided to be open on that day then he needs to be open. If my company decided to be open I would either take a vacation day or I would work.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^This is really crappy of Pizza Hut. Retailers, OK, maybe it is a big shopping day or whatever. But how much could Pizza Hut lose by closing on Thanksgiving? What I'm saying is, do people even go to Pizza Hut on Thanksgiving?

Yes they must or they wouldn't be open. They must believe it is worth turning the lights and oven on.

I bet they do a decent business. Everyone else is off work sitting around watching football, if you can't be at moms or grandma's, you might just order a pizza. Or maybe you have a full thanksgiving dinner at noon. Well by 7 pm you might be in the mood for something different and order a pizza.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I bet he had employees that would have been willing to work the holiday and get paid time and a half. He should have asked for volunteers.
    Yup. I'm working all day thanksgiving because of the extra pay. Dinner is later anyways so I don't mind really.

Crappy employee policy goes right along with their crappy pizza. At least they are consistent.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Yup. I'm working all day thanksgiving because of the extra pay. Dinner is later anyways so I don't mind really.
    It's not that big of a deal for some people, but they don't usually take volunteers. The veterans get time off and no one else. Plus not every can work and then come home for dinner or vice versa.

I can't be home for either side's thanksgiving because we live 5 hours away and my fiancé isn't allowed to take off. I tend to side with the manager.

I'm going out on a limb and saying he took this stand because he knew his employees wanted the day off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Crap like this is why I refuse to buy anything on Thanksgiving. Yeah, I understand essential people working at power utilities and emergency workers and things like that need to work, but no one is going to die if Pizza Hut is closed on Thanksgiving.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Speak for yourself. I once had to work at Vincennes University over Christmas Break and my shift included the Dec 24 - 25 leg. No car, too cold to walk, and no dining hall. I ordered pizza from Pizza Hut on Christmas Eve.

Nowadays, despite my dislike of turkey and most Thanksgiving staples in general, not again.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

For whats it worth, this doesn't seem to be coming from corporate, its a douchey franchise owner making this call. My local Pizza Hut will be closed tomorrow.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Good!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What if some big company made an announcement that they were going to be closed but their employees would get the day off with pay. What a PR ploy that would be.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes they must or they wouldn't be open. They must believe it is worth turning the lights and oven on.

I bet they do a decent business. Everyone else is off work sitting around watching football, if you can't be at moms or grandma's, you might just order a pizza. Or maybe you have a full thanksgiving dinner at noon. Well by 7 pm you might be in the mood for something different and order a pizza.

I'm sure they make a couple bucks (although I wouldn't put it past management just to stay open as a power play to its employees). But it is not going to break a Pizza Hut store to do the decent thing and give employees the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    “We fully respect an employee’s right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving,” Pizza Hut posted on its Facebook page. “As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team.”

Looks like Pizza Hut policy is to close. Now, if they start making better pizza, I would start buying from them.

In other words, corporate put the thumbscrews on the franchisee. The guy would be smart to try and get a job at a Pizza Hut not owned by that douche, cause he is gonna make his life hell if he comes back.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

This man is a hero. Black Friday needs to be eliminated. All the rich corporate cogs sit and get a good laugh at the poor people fight each other for half price tvs and their employees who have to rough it. Meanwhile, they're enjoying Thanksgiving leftover with loved ones. Happy Holidays.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I highly doubt Pizza Hut is paying its employees at time and a half.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This man is a hero. Black Friday needs to be eliminated. All the rich corporate cogs sit and get a good laugh at the poor people fight each other for half price tvs and their employees who have to rough it. Meanwhile, they're enjoying Thanksgiving leftover with loved ones. Happy Holidays.
    Major props to this guy, not only for refusing to open, but for telling the corporate bigwigs how it is. He's completely right.

I'm not a fan of Black Friday and refuse to go out and participate in it. People lose their minds on Black Friday.

That said, I don't think it should be eliminated, but it should be confined to that weekend (not starting on Thanksgiving or earlier) and security should be MANDATORY.

With the advent of Cyber Monday, I honestly don't even know why people still go out on Black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This man is a hero
    nope

Yeah, on the safety side of black friday, you'd think they could just offer the same quantity of products at the crazy prices, but spread the window from Friday to Friday, Saturday, and by end of day Sunday. Theoretically, it might thin the crowds (not for the hottest items, but at least some people might take their time a little bit to the less-hot items on sale, and the business isn't losing out by having to sell too many products at super low prices. I don't know. Maybe at least to end of day Saturday.

And like Shade said, with Cyber Monday, I don't know why so many still do it. At least not the ones who kill themselves or other people over something, that is. I know of someone who goes out with her family to buy one particular item as a family tradition, but that's not the same thing as these knuckleheads who trample people or get trampled themselves.