Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowe: Key specifics on the Paul George contract and more...

Sports Logo

Default Re: Lowe: Key specifics on the Paul George contract and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't hard to trade Copeland but judging from CableKC's previous posts I think that he doesn't really want to trade Copeland.
    I have little to no problem trading Copeland....he's simply the odd man out and a luxury after Scola was added to the roster.

I raise my concerns only because I am VERY pessimistic when it comes to how easy it is to moving contracts..even as low as $3 mil a year.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I have little to no problem trading Copeland....he's simply the odd man out and a luxury after Scola was added to the roster.

I raise my concerns only because I am VERY pessimistic when it comes to how easy it is to moving contracts..even as low as $3 mil a year.
    could always give whatever team Cope + cash considerations to pay all/part of his salary. I think, you can still send cash right?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basically did the same thing Westbrook did. Westbrook took less so OKC could sign other guys. Only problem was they let that other guy go lol. But Westbrook didn't get the opt out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Well, actually Westbrook signed for the 25% max (so no Rose rule bonus) even if he qualified. Still, the extra 2% isn't that much (about an extra $1.2m per year) and I don't begrudge Paul G that extra bit that he's earned.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Well, actually Westbrook signed for the 25% max (so no Rose rule bonus) even if he qualified. Still, the extra 2% isn't that much (about an extra $1.2m per year) and I don't begrudge Paul G that extra bit that he's earned.
    I will look it up. I remember him taking far less than he could. http://www.ibtimes.com/russell-westb...ls-mind-398600

Yes he could of got the 30%. I was just stating that both Paul and Russ took a bit of a pay cut. Russ is all about winning something I really like about him. Such a fiery competitor.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    To be honest, I think trading Cope will be pretty easy in and of itself, especially if we include some kind of a pick, and that would be the wiser move than letting a very-affordable Orlando Johnson go, I think. Plus, the kid you draft with that going-away pick is someone you would have had to have paid as well, so two birds, one stone, in terms of saving money.

If ditching Cope along with, let's say, our 2nd round pick this year saves us 3 or so million, and that means we'd have about 10m under the tax line for signing Lance, then I could see us keeping Stephenson that way.
    I hope so too.....Copeland + one of the two 2014-2015 2nd round draft picks for an Expiring Contract would be my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who knows; if the right deal came along, maybe we could trade our '15 1st and Cope for someone's '16 or later 1st and see what happens with that later on.
    Since we traded our 2013-2014 1st round pick to get Scola....I thought we can't trade 1st round picks in consecutive years . At most, we'd be trading our 2015-2016 1st round picks.

But I think that would be a mistake. I think that it will critical to infuse cheap talent into the rotation...and the cheapest way to do that is through the draft.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

I hope so too.....Copeland + one of the two 2014-2015 2nd round draft picks for an Expiring Contract would be my preference.

Since we traded our 2013-2014 1st round pick to get Scola....I thought we can't trade 1st round picks in consecutive years . At most, we'd be trading our 2015-2016 1st round picks.

But I think that would be a mistake. I think that it will critical to infuse cheap talent into the rotation...and the cheapest way to do that is through the draft.
    You can trade consecutive year draft picks. Just not in the same deal. We can trade next years pick if we choose. I doubt we do that though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Ah, I see. I guess that I projected my own opinion on yours
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

We've got Scola for one more year. West for two more years. Then we've got a big hole at PF.

I'd like to keep Copeland long enough to see if he's a candidate to help fill that hole.

I doubt that the Pacers simply cut OJ for nothing...he's a known and valuable asset...clearly a 7th to 9th roatational Player on a rookie 2nd round contract that has some upside.

as for Sloan, he has a guaranteed salary in 2014-2015.
    I don't want to do that but just trying to get under the LT. Of course I agree with Hicks that Copeland is the best choice to drop salary but I am not sure how many teams would be on board for that.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I'm still concerned about our league-average offense.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    We've got Scola for one more year. West for two more years. Then we've got a big hole at PF.

I'd like to keep Copeland long enough to see if he's a candidate to help fill that hole.
    He is not a good enough defender, I think he is the odd man out, we have to move him to keep Lance that leaves Danny out in the cold and I hate to see that but its the reality of the modern NBA. He really needs to get back and have a good season if he wants any contract next year.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

Eh, Copeland's 29 already. He's just a year younger than Granger. If we want to develop a long term PF, I'd hope it's someone younger.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Eh, Copeland's 29 already. He's just a year younger than Granger. If we want to develop a long term PF, I'd hope it's someone younger.
    I think we'd all hope that. But we're not going to find a PF in the bottom of the 2nd round of the 2014 draft (at least we shouldn't count on it). Where you gonna find a young PF to develop? And even if we do find one, one PF is not enough. So I'm hoping Copeland can learn the defensive system and be a contributor in the future. He seems like the best bet at the moment.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    You can trade consecutive year draft picks. Just not in the same deal. We can trade next years pick if we choose. I doubt we do that though.
    The Pacers can't trade next year's first round pick unless they acquire another pick this season. It's here about halfway down:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

Since the Pacers are going to lose this year's pick, they can't trade next year's because they won't have a pick in two consecutive future drafts.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers have team options of 915,243 and 948,163 on OJ and Sloan, respectively, next year. Copeland's salary is 3,130,000 guaranteed.

One thing that must also be considered is the minimum allowable salary at various years of experience. Those are
    0 years 507,336
    1 year 816,482
    2 years 915,243 (OJ)
    3 years 948,163 (Sloan)

So, if we were to dump both OJ and Sloan, and replace them with inexperienced rookies, we would save only $848,734. A wiser move probably would be to trade Copeland for an expiring contract at this year's trade deadline or to trade him next summer for no salary in return. That might require sacrificing a draft pick or exchanging draft picks to get the trade completed. We then sign an inexperienced rookie at or near the minimum salary to round out the roster of 13 players. That would leave ample funds to cover the two unmanned roster spots while also enabling us to not have to pay the luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    GHill signed for 5 yrs as well. It's just one 5 year max per team, not just one 5 year contract.
    Hill wasn't an extension, he was a free agent. It is only an extension if the player is still under contract, Hill's previous contract was over.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

If we're a contending team, perhaps coming off the ECF's or even championship round... why not exceed the luxury tax by a small amount?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    If we're a contending team, perhaps coming off the ECF's or even championship round... why not exceed the luxury tax by a small amount?
    I think most of us on the forum totally agree with that statement. But most of us also operate under the assumption that the Pacers will never allow salaries to exceed the threshold. That stance is the only one ever expressed by Bird, thus the assumption.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Because going over the LT means we do not take part of the revenue sharing if I am correct. That means the choice to go over 1 million could cost them 13+ million.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I could see Herb allowing maybe a one or two year run into luxury taxland here and there, especially as nightly attendance is continuing to climb as it is.

As I understand it, even in tax land, we would get some cut of revenue sharing benefits, but not as much as we would staying under the line.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    The Pacers can't trade next year's first round pick unless they acquire another pick this season. It's here about halfway down:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

Since the Pacers are going to lose this year's pick, they can't trade next year's because they won't have a pick in two consecutive future drafts.
    The Pacers can't trade next year's draft pick BEFORE this year's draft. After the draft they can do whatever they want with it. The restriction on trading picks just requires you to have a pick in either the current draft, or the one following it. You can still trade your first round pick every single year, so long as you trade each one in a separate deal, in a separate year.

Trading Copeland would pre-suppose he plays well enough to interest some other team to want him. IIRC, there were no teams bidding against us to sign him this last off season, including his team the Knicks. We are in a situation with Cope and with Ian that says we have to play them enough to interest some other team to want them. OJ and Sloan can probably be moved quite easily because of their low salary, but the 2 of them together don't clear enough space for the Pacers to sign anyone of real value.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Because going over the LT means we do not take part of the revenue sharing if I am correct. That means the choice to go over 1 million could cost them 13+ million.
    I think it's changed under the latest CBA to where it's not that black and white anymore, but I do believe you're right that it would at last result in the loss of some of the shared revenue, though I don't think it means losing out on ALL of the shared revenue anymore. I don't think.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I don't think trading Copeland will be that hard if that's what we want to do. I bet there are a lot of teams that would love to have a stretch 4 and a player that's fun to watch. $3m isn't that much, especially for a rebuilding team.
    The Lakers will have capspace next summer and about 11 open roster spots. If D'Antoni is still the coach, he would absolutely love Copeland. If the Pacers need to trade him at all, they'll be able to move his deal.

After looking at the amount of money committed for next season, there is no way they can re-sign Danny Granger and Lance Stephenson unless they trade away a couple of players and Danny excepts the veteran's league minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post: