Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Week 13: vs Titans

Default Re: Week 13: vs Titans

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Luck is just not playing well because he is taking much too long to find a receiver. It just appears that these guys are playing as if they don't know each other. Fleener seems most attuned to Luck.
    i did not see that the OL was too terrible today . TR is really just terrible as he seems to try to run into rather than avoid a crowd. The guy doesn't know the term cut.

When one of your receivers is DHB it HAS to put a hitch in your giddyup as a QB. Let's assume DHB is the first option on a route. Wellll.... no matter what you see how can you not hesitate for a beat wondering if you should throw it to him in about any given situation? Or should you take a look at your 2nd and 3rd options first... just in case? Or what if you're going thru your options and everyone is covered fairly well... and then you come to DHB. Do you immediately let it fly or do you pause to see if anyone else got some separation before you go back to DHB? And even when he's open and you've decided you will throw to him... do you throw instinctively or do you pause and think about touch you should put on the ball specifically for DHB?

I just can't imagine how having DHB on the field cannot cause Luck to hesitate. And with the Colts' line there's just not time for that.

Seriously, I think you just have to get him off the field and just move on. I'd take a receiver that MIGHT get open versus DHB who can get open... but can't catch the ball. With the loss of Reggie (and Ballard, Allen, Bradshaw...), the OL problems, and play calling it has become a real serious issue IMHO.

Luck doesn't have time to hesitate wondering about DHB or even waste time looking his direction. That pass today was inexcusable. Especially when it's not the outlier.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I had seats in back of the goal post today and you could just see TRich just run into coverage whereas Brown made his cuts. TRich is getting minimal opportunities now and didn't do anything to change that. One ball hit him in in his chest and he dropped it and there wasn't anyone close by.

Luck doesn't seem to know where his receivers will be. Takes too much time looking around but the problem is bigger than DHB. Brazil is largely untested and TY is so small that a ball lofted can easily be picked off.
    Last edited by speakout4; 12-01-2013 at 06:41 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Useless information of the day: From now on I will always have my Bob Sanders jersey on while watching Colts games. We are so bad on offense that the only hope of winning games will come from defense.

Same thing did today as well cause I knew what was coming.

I never thought I'd see the day when that would be the case with the Colts

Colts best weapon currently = VINATIERI

Kudos to the D, but an average QB lights us up. Thankfully we were playing who we were.

Luck has to be prepared to break the pocket and run more often and/or throw the ball away when he's holding it for so long. It's unclear to me whether it's on the receivers or his indecisiveness. Maybe some of both. Of course our half-*** O-line is in there to. Add it all up and you have bush league offense at its finest.

This is not a playoff team. We'll be fortunate to win one more this regular season.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This is not a playoff team. We'll be fortunate to win one more this regular season.

We have Houston and Jacksonville left...just saying.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, we won despite being terrible on offense.

I don't really know what to take from this going forward. It's pretty inevitable that we'll make the playoffs. You stand back and look high-level and realize that we've played terribly for a month, and we're still 8-4. We've suffered a ton of injuries, and we're still 8-4.

It's possible taht we're just having a major mid-season swoon, and maybe we'll get it together down the stretch and enter the playoffs hot. I mean.... 2006, we had an epicly bad defense, and when we hit the playoffs, they did a complete 180 and became dominant. It's possible that with the loss of some offensive cogs, they're just getting things worked out.

Our o line is absolutely terrible. It was on full display today. It's bad in all phases of the game. I know everyone got excited about DBrown in the fourth (let's not forget Luck actually out "ran" DBrown on that drive), but bottom line is our run game experienced zero improvement today. Luck accounted for almost half of our "rushing" yards today, and all of them on busted plays. We really produced about 60 yards of offense out of running plays today.

When Luck stepped back to throw, dudes all over him. Dudes in the backfield, chasing him, batting balls down. Luck looks rattled, and why wouldn't he? His guys aren't protecting him.

When Luck delivers the ball, our receivers are stone-handed.

Over the past month, the ONLY bright spot on offense (for me) has been Coby Fleener. He seems to be improving in an offense that is going backwards, and that's a good sign.

This team has a lot to get fixed. I like Pagano's ability to make adjustments. I"m not confident in Pep's ability to do the same, but this is his chance to prove me wrong. I don't like Irsay going to Twitter to rail his team all the time.

Rainey looks like a better returner than Reed.

Vinatieri has been awesome this year, he looks like he's turned back the clock a decade. He hasn't missed within 40 yards this year. He's missed 3 beyond that, but werent' 1 or 2 of them blocked? I almost can't remember him missing a FG this year, at all.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

That 2006 team had issues on defense the offense was just fine we started 9-0 that year but with this team there are issues all around. I do think that they do realize something had to change hence the benching of T-Rich which had to be done. So at least they are willing to adapt.

If there's anything to lament beyond the T-Rich trade its that this team learned nothing from two years ago about having a viable backup plan for Reggie Wayne. We should've groomed his replacement a couple years ago. I thought that was going to be Garcon at one point but he's with the Redskins.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't lament the trade at all, I lament the loss of our o-line, which has inexplicably gone backwards steadily since about week 5. I don't recall suffering too many injuries beyond Donald Thomas, so this to me is the biggest storyline going on with this team. It's not exactly a personnel issue, because this same group was playing much better earlier in the year. Joe Gilbert (did you all even know who our O-line coach was?) has some 'splainin to do. Where's Howard Mudd these days? I still think we could see some specialness if we could get our o-line rectified.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What drives me nuts is that it appears that Pep refuses to incorporating anything that might help combat this pathetic offensive line. We do not run screens, slants or even roll Luck out. Pep says we are a power run team and we continue to smash our head against the wall because we have to run the scheme no matter what.

I could accept one or two bad games, but we have been abysmal on offense for over a month and the offense has just been lost.

I feel so bad for Luck because he is consistently under pressure when passing, has no run game, and his top two WRs are either inconsistent (TY) or is just terrible (DHB). Luck carries the team and hopes the defense shows up to keep it close.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post

We have Houston and Jacksonville left...just saying.
    I know who we have left. That's how much confidence I have right now given how we're playing. We're a playoff team by record, but barring massive improvement with questionable overall personnel, we will be first game sacrificial lambs against legit comp.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I don't lament the trade at all, I lament the loss of our o-line, which has inexplicably gone backwards steadily since about week 5. I don't recall suffering too many injuries beyond Donald Thomas, so this to me is the biggest storyline going on with this team. It's not exactly a personnel issue, because this same group was playing much better earlier in the year. Joe Gilbert (did you all even know who our O-line coach was?) has some 'splainin to do. Where's Howard Mudd these days? I still think we could see some specialness if we could get our o-line rectified.
    Maybe his same group was just a paper tiger to begin with. Satele and McGlynn have consistently sucked. So those two right there, plus Reggie at his age as alpha receiver with no legit backup, not to mention numerous places for improvement on D, makes the TRich trade a colossal error. We had multiple areas begging for an upgrade we could have used the pick on.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo

20/20 hindsight. At the time, this team looked very good, and was knocking off all the superpowers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    What drives me nuts is that it appears that Pep refuses to incorporating anything that might help combat this pathetic offensive line. We do not run screens, slants or even roll Luck out.
    He is so smart that he hides them for the playoffs so the opponents will have no tape of them

We are so bad on offense because of playcalling and personnel that I can't see past the one and out. And it pains me saying it. I mean I have zero confidence that there will be a guy that can catch the ball right now.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that we could do a better job at utilizing T.Y. with some quick slants and stuff like that. But T.Y. deserves plenty of blame for his lack of production. Every week he seems to miss catches that he should come up with. The interception at the beginning of the game was obviously his fault. My biggest problem with T.Y. right now is his complete lack of physicality when running routes. I realize that he's not a huge guy, but he just puts up a poor fight at getting contested balls. It seems as though the only way he can make a play is with his speed. I still think that the play calling is pretty bad, but T.Y. hasn't stepped up like a WR1 over the last few weeks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The playcalling has been bad the last few weeks, but the O-line just doesn't give Andrew enough time nor do they open up holes for TRich or Brown. Besides that last drive, the O-line almost screwed us the game.
    Smothered Chicken!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Luck is atypical of a young QB, in that he doesn't focus on certain receivers and try to force things to them, but to be honest I sure wish he wasn't sometimes. They've got to figure out a way to get TY and Fleener the ball more often, and it doesn't look like playcalling is going to be the ticket. Luck should really start focusing on them, or atleast Fleener, seeing as how he's the only one that has been somewhat steady over the past few weeks.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

DHB obviously isn't very good, but he is fast and can torch teams for YAC if he gets the ball in the right position. TY is also very fast, but he seems incapable of catching long balls unless he completely torches his defender through speed, which is very hard to consistently do against NFL defenses. TY just doesn't seem capable of catching contested balls that involve out-muscling his defender.

So we have a couple of very fast receivers who have trouble consistently catching long balls and a terrible O-Line. Hmm, what to do? I don't know, maybe run some quick slants and screens every once in a while? Novel idea, I know. I'm so sick of watching Luck drop back in the pocket so that he can 1) Get crushed/forced because of his awful offense line and/or 2) throw an incomplete pass because DHB can't catch anything and TY is incapable of out-muscling his defenders.

It's clear as day that TY and DHB would be more dangerous with quick screens and slants. We need to try doing that and also roll Luck out more. I'm sympathetic to Pep up to a point because I understand that the injuries have been brutal, but this guy has absolutely no creativity or adaptive skills. A skilled offensive coordinator with Andrew Luck would find ways to get fast guys like T.Y. and DHB the ball. I know that our weapons can't hold a candle to what Denver has, but look at how successful they've been with quick slants and screens all seasons. Show some creativity for Christ's sake. I'm sick and tired of these hideous formations and watching Luck get killed in the pocket. The most creative thing I've seen from Pep this season was that hideous trick play yesterday that caused us to lose like 11 yards.

Of course, one must remember that Pep is mostly doing what Pagano wants.

Fleener has been the lone bright spot in this brutal month of football. I can't wait until Allen comes back next year. We can run some nasty 2 TE sets.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-02-2013 at 10:17 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think DHB is only useful at all on short routes because that is really the only passes he's shown any ability to handle.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck should also focus on running. Right now we could use any help and since it won't come from our receivers, we could use that underrated ability of his. No read option etc. Just if it is there after the 1st read, go for it.

I don't really want Luck running. If that is the answer for this season I'd prefer to lose out and reboot for next season.

------

-John Wooden

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I only want him running on a roll-out.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I only want him running on a roll-out.
    And sliding if he's about to take a hit.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Week 13: vs Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I don't really want Luck running. If that is the answer for this season I'd prefer to lose out and reboot for next season.
    I didn't say start acting like RGIII last season and go head to head. Just take what's there (if it's there) and start sliding before any contact.
    Last edited by Johanvil; 12-03-2013 at 04:54 AM.