Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: December 1-December 10, 6 games in 10 days... how many can we win?

Default December 1-December 10, 6 games in 10 days... how many can we win?

Not to overlook @Charlotte and home vs. Washington, who each have their moments, but the upcoming road + Miami stretch can go a long way toward proving what we have here:

Sun, Dec 1 @ Los Angeles Clippers
    Mon, Dec 2 @ Portland
    Wed, Dec 4 @ Utah (yay, a breather)
    Sat, Dec 7 @ San Antonio
    Sun, Dec 8 @ Oklahoma City
    Tue, Dec 10 home vs. Miami

Winning 4 of the 6 would be huge, if one of those includes Miami
    Winning 3 of the 6 would be fine with me, if one of those includes Miami
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: December 1-December 10, 6 games in 10 days... how many can we win?

How many CAN we win?
    Simply said, all of them. This team is young and elite, I believe they are going to win every one until proven otherwise.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

4-2

I've been looking at that stretch too (so will the national media and every other contending team). Four best teams in the West and then come home to play the Heat. Those last three, Spurs, Thunder, Heat will be three in four days.
    I don't want to make a prediction other than everyone will need to be at their best to win those games. We've only played one good team on the road so far and we got smoked. Hopefully they all remember that.

"Winning 4 of the 6 would be huge, if one of those includes Miami"

Agree with that!
    Last edited by greyhound80; 11-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greyhound80 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been looking at that stretch too (so will the national media and every other contending team). Four best teams in the West and then come home to play the Heat. Those last three, Spurs, Thunder, Heat will be three in four days.
    I don't want to make a prediction other than everyone will need to be at their best to win those games. We've only played one good team on the road so far and we got smoked. Hopefully they all remember that.
    Dude we beat the knicks and nets at home before they became a train wreck.

3-3 is a successful run through that stretch IMO, and 2-4 isn't bad. I'd say that's true even when projecting the Pacers as a 60-65 win team overall at this point.

The reason I say that is the schedule is just that tough. If you took the Pacers schedule and ranked it by order of most difficult to least difficult games, I think you'd have a very reasonable chance that this stretch has five of the ten toughest games and the top two overall. There aren't many games the Pacers will be underdogs all season, but they likely will be most of this trip. Just the teams/locations alone are tough, but having all four of the tough teams on two back to backs and then having Miami be the first game home (typically a sloppy game) after a long trip is a tough break scheduling wise as well.

I think it's all upside on this sort of trip though. The Pacers can really prove they're super elite with a 4-2 trip or a 5-1 trip, but a 1-5 trip doesn't disprove that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are 5 top teams in the NBA in my mind, we are playing the other 4 over this stretch. It's going to be tough, we really haven't looked good on the road and we have a pretty big target on our backs right now.

Honestly, if we escape this with only 4 losses I will be pretty shocked. I tend to be a pessimist anyway, but again, we really haven't played well on the road and all of those teams have us circled on the calendar.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

That is one tough stretch, it has to be the toughest stretch of the year. 3 and 3 would be a success IMO.

They didn't do us any favors schedulung the heat game right after our toughest road trip of the season by far.

3-3 would be be OK. That is why I wanted to start the trip 15-1. If we are 18-4 after the 6 games, that is excellent.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Dude we beat the knicks and nets at home before they became a train wreck.
    So, you think those were "good" teams? Knicks have been bad since the start of the year. Nets DID have everyone there when we played them so I agree with you on that one.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sun, Dec 1 @ Los Angeles Clippers= Loss. Christ Paul gets in the lane and weakens our defense just enough.
    Mon, Dec 2 @ Portland=Win. It is grueling but we pound it out.
    Wed, Dec 4 @ Utah= Win. Not as easy as it should be.
    Sat, Dec 7 @ San Antonio= Loss. Spurs are good at home.
    Sun, Dec 8 @ Oklahoma City= Loss. We are tired. They want to come home.
    Tue, Dec 10 home vs. Miami= Win, and we win big.

3-3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

my prediction 3-3. i would be happy with that too. wins would be against portland, utah and okc.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I'm going with 4-2. Losses to Portland (after a very hard win over LAC) and San Antonio.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

1-5, hey, I am just being realistic.

3-3 means we have two great wins. I'd be okay with that.

Mood

The Pacers CAN win all of them.

My prediction is 3-3 with an outside shots at 4-2.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Sun, Dec 1 @ Los Angeles Clippers - LOSS
    Mon, Dec 2 @ Portland - WIN
    Wed, Dec 4 @ Utah (yay, a breather) - WIN
    Sat, Dec 7 @ San Antonio - LOSS
    Sun, Dec 8 @ Oklahoma City - LOSS
    Tue, Dec 10 home vs. Miami - WIN ( but realistically, flip a coin )

3 Wins / 3 Losses
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

This team is special.

I believe, but more importantly THEY believe that they will win every game they step out onto the court. Hopefully the Chicago game was a sufficient eye opener that we cannot just show up and get an automatic W.

If we learned our lesson about playing on the road against better competition from that game, I see no reason why we should lose any of these. Might we? Sure. If a team has a particularly hot night like Chicago did. But barring that, I won't be surprised to see us go 5-1 or 6-0.

That being said, it's a TOUGH stretch. Who knows? I just believe in our guys.

If they go 3-3 on that road trip I'll be thrilled. 2-4 wouldn't make me fundamentally reevaluate the team.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'm predicting 5-1 with the only loss coming at Utah.

2-4 is fine. 3-3 would be great. You just have to soldier through these parts of the schedule. It's not like teams are expected to play 4 of the top 8 or so teams in the league, on back to backs, within one week, during the playoffs. If we win, we look like beasts but people should not overreact if we lose because it has little bearing on how the playoffs will look.

I don't see how any of you think we will lose to the Clippers. Seriously? That team has no half court offense to speak of. All we have to do is control the pace, which is what we do every game. Sure they will make it close and put on a run in the 4th quarter, but we will put the clamps on them and make their half court offense look childish. The Pacers just dont let teams run out on them. Look at what we did to Minnie last night! High scoring offenses are not effective against the Pacers. Its only teams that actually bring it defensively with real pressure on the ball handler, and who run alot of motion offense like Chicago with great mid range shooters.

I do see losses in Portland and San Antonio. We never play well in either of those Arenas, and i'm not sure the Pacers will ever beat the Spurs until Duncan retires.
    Utah will be tough, they have a good home court advantage, but they don't have the experience or talent to compete for 48 minutes.

OKC will be a brutal game, but we can compete with them because they are jump shooting team.

Miami....Pacers are gonna rock them.

This is s statement week for the Pacers, and one of the reason Vogel was messing with the line up over the last week. He is trying to figure out what he can switch to if the team comes out flat during this brutal schedule.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 11-26-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

We will know what we have with this team, after this stretch. If they can pull out a better than .500 record during this road trip, then that's a pretty good prognostic sign.

The real gut check is the Spurs/Thunder BTB. I'd pencil in a Spurs loss, but it will be interesting to see if they can pull out a win in OK on the second night.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Not to overlook @Charlotte and home vs. Washington, who each have their moments, but the upcoming road + Miami stretch can go a long way toward proving what we have here:

Sun, Dec 1 @ Los Angeles Clippers
    Mon, Dec 2 @ Portland
    Wed, Dec 4 @ Utah (yay, a breather)
    Sat, Dec 7 @ San Antonio
    Sun, Dec 8 @ Oklahoma City
    Tue, Dec 10 home vs. Miami

Winning 4 of the 6 would be huge, if one of those includes Miami
    Winning 3 of the 6 would be fine with me, if one of those includes Miami
    If ever we're going to struggle this year for reasons other than our health, I'd have to imagine this would be it. Absolute worst case I can imagine is going 1-5 through this stretch, but I think it will be closer to 3-3.

Anything less than 4-2 should be considered a disappointment. 4-2 or 5-1 should be expected. 6-0 would be great.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: