Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Pacers' 12-1 record fools' gold?

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Is the Pacers' 12-1 record fools' gold?

I think we'll really be able to tell how good this team is after this upcoming West Coast trip. There's no question we are improved, but that trip should show just how much.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However our current winning percentage is clearly not going to hold forever.
    Obviously. I don't think that anyone expects that to keep up.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

For those that predicted breaking the Bulls season win record, winning at a 90 percent clip (9 of first 10 games) extrapolates out to a 73 games won season....

So for anyone who predicted a 70+ win season then you better not think this is fool's gold!
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

For those curious...

Pacers current win percentage: .923
    Bulls 72-10 win percentage: .878
    Pacers 61-21 win percentage: .744

Our current win percentage has us on pace to win 76 games (rounded up from 75.7). So, we're actually on pace to shatter the record by a pretty sizable margin. It's unlikely we'll keep up our current pace for the entire season, obviously, but at this point, anything less than 60 wins will be a moderate disappointment.

You guys sure do like to set your expectations high.

I still think we end up around 54-28 (2004 Pistons), as our offense is still working out the kinks, and against the top teams defense can only carry you so far.
    Last edited by immortality; 11-25-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah the teams we have beaten so far are struggling but guess what? Managing to win these games and not slipping up against poor record teams, is a major reason you get HCA.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Spurs are 12-1 as well, I wonder if their fans are having the same convo. Prob not.......sit back and enjoy the ride.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

This team is pretty mature, disciplined and hungry. I would not be surprised if we won 60+ games.
    LeWade are going down.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team has certainly been tested. They took Miami to Game 7 of the ECF's last year. Coming into this season, everyone knew that at worst the Pacers would be a top 4 team in the NBA season with the potential to be the best. I don't care what the combined records of our opponents are. What is the combined record of Miami's opponents? It can't be that good either considering that they are an East team too.

Don't discount the fact that we're getting every team's best shot night in and night out. New York, Boston, and Philly all played their asses off against us, yet we found a way to win. I think we would have lost one of those three games last year. The mark of a great team is when you can routinely win games when every team is gunning for you. At this point, every team in the league is well aware of the fact that the Pacers are a great team. This isn't 2011-12 when we were a new team who was taking the league by surprise. Everyone knows we are great and wants a shot at us.

We're going to win an absolutely insane amount of games this year. Our 12-1 start is only fools' gold in the sense that we aren't going to continue to win at a 92% rate which would leave us with 75 wins. This is a great team who started the season like a bat out of hell and picked up right where they left off last year. Everyone knows their roles and we are simply too much for other teams to handle.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-25-2013 at 08:06 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Skeptics can call a 12-1 start "fools gold" if they want, but I call it getting into the habit of winning
    from the very outset of the season like a truly great team should.
    "Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I think we'll really be able to tell how good this team is after this upcoming West Coast trip. There's no question we are improved, but that trip should show just how much.
    I'm not sure you can isloate a portion of the schedule like that and use that isolated portion as a litmus test. I mean for sake of discussion lets say they go 1-4. Does that prove 12-1 wasn't a good indicator? Well what if we then win 8 straight (which would mean beating the Heat twice) What does that say about the 1-4 stretch?

It is all arbitrary during the regular season, but it is always better to take the long view. So you never really know until the playoffs, because that is when it counts for real. Regular season is to fine tune your game, and to get the best playoff position possible.

But this west coast trip followed by OKC and SA is extremely tough. You are playing by record the 4 best western conference teams all on the road in a weeks time. 3-2 would be great. Beat The Jazz, and split with the top 4 western conference teams.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Yeah... I would take 3 and 2 out of this trip.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    1) Of the 12 teams the Pacers have played so far (we've played the Bulls twice), exactly ONE of these teams currently has a winning record - Memphis at 7-6.
    If the Pacers didn't beat the Raptors - they would have a winning record.
    If the Pacers didnt beat the Bulls - they would have a winning record.
    If the Pacers didnt beat New Orleans - they would have a winning record.

So yes - while the records of the other teams are not looking great - we are also helping to make it look that way by beating them.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

12-1 is impressive. It doesn't matter what teams we face. The fact of the matter is we have won 12 out of our first 13 games, 9 of which to start. You play the teams they schedule you to play.

Sports Logo

I do think this trip will be important, we will either fall behind the spurs and possibly blazers or we could clear some space. San Antonio has always been a tough one for us to win esp in San Antonio. That being said if we split the season series with these guys I would not be disappointed at all. I just wish they were playing here first!

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This sums it up... I don't think the Pacers are "worse than they appear". There's no question that skills are up, they are more cohesive as a team, and they are going to be a handful in the playoffs.

However, we will see what we *actually* have, once the opponents are a more representative sample. Let's talk about "legitimacy" as a championship contender after 25 games.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    If the Pacers didn't beat the Raptors - they would have a winning record.
    If the Pacers didnt beat the Bulls - they would have a winning record.
    If the Pacers didnt beat New Orleans - they would have a winning record.

So yes - while the records of the other teams are not looking great - we are also helping to make it look that way by beating them.
    Thank you. This is about what I was going to say, though I probably wouldn't have said it as well. W have played one very good team twice and lost one to them once. The rest of the EC can thank us for a part of their bad record. Pacers are not going to go 81-1, but until somebody beats us at least twice, we are the top team in the EC.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm not sure you can isloate a portion of the schedule like that and use that isolated portion as a litmus test. I mean for sake of discussion lets say they go 1-4. Does that prove 12-1 wasn't a good indicator? Well what if we then win 8 straight (which would mean beating the Heat twice) What does that say about the 1-4 stretch?

It is all arbitrary during the regular season, but it is always better to take the long view. So you never really know until the playoffs, because that is when it counts for real. Regular season is to fine tune your game, and to get the best playoff position possible.

But this west coast trip followed by OKC and SA is extremely tough. You are playing by record the 4 best western conference teams all on the road in a weeks time. 3-2 would be great. Beat The Jazz, and split with the top 4 western conference teams.
    I would add in the Miami game as part of that very difficult stretch. If the Pacers go 3-3 I would be happy with that. I really be happy with 3-3 if they beat the Spurs.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I'm expecting 81 wins this season. I'm still disappointed in the team for not winning 82.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The record is fantastic because they've won the games they should've won. Miami had a hard time with this at the start of the season. Just look at the record of the 3 teams that have defeated them this season.

It's not that the Pacers November Schedule looked like an easy one when the NBA released it. They have already played 4 back-to-back sets. They've had to play the Bulls twice. When the season started, we had no idea that several of these teams they have beaten would be this bad. Cleveland, New York, and Brooklyn have been unexpectedly horrible so far.

The quality of their opponents is inconsequential because everyone ups their game when they go against the Pacers now. The hunter has become the hunted. That's what happens when you come into a season as one of the teams with real championship potential. They are getting everyone's best effort and yet, they are still winning. Those 12 wins are as real as that 1 loss and it has the Pacers in the top spot. Let's enjoy that and not sell them short.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's only fool's gold, I think, if you believe it means we'll continue to win 92% of our games.
    You don't think the Pacers can win 75 games?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Miami lost to Brooklyn and Boston.

Their toughest road win is Charlotte (7-7).

Is their 10-3 record fool's gold?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would definitely say that after watching the Pacers for the past twenty years this is the most consistent I have seen victories come on a consistent basis. They are playing hungry and closing out games. The only team we need to worry about is Miami. Brooklyn has gone exit stage right.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to joeshow31 For This Useful Post:

The Blazers and Spurs have each won ten straight games and sit at 12-2, so let's take a look at their respective schedules:

Portland started off their streak with a home and away against Shaqramento, then took out Detroit and squeaked by a Bledsoe-less Phoenix team at home. Next came a four-game road winning streak that looks pretty good until you look at the competition (Boston, Toronto, Brooklyn and Milwaukee - a combined 16-37 on the year). Their last two wins, against Chicago (Rose injury game) and at Golden State, are probably the most impressive in their run.

The Spurs look like a monster sporting a point differential of +11.5, and a glance at the box scores shows they took care of the bad teams (Utah, New York, Cleveland, Boston) with relative ease. Against some "tougher" competition, such as the 7-6 Suns and 8-6 Warriors, however, the contests were much closer, with the Spurs edging out Phoenix by just three and Golden State by a single basket. The combined winning percentage of San Antonio's opponents during this streak? .466 Not a cakewalk, but by no means a murderers' row either.

I don't think anyone would discount the Spurs as a great team and a championship contender because of the perceived weakness of their opening month schedule. They've earned that respect after a decade plus of strong teams and consistent success. A person who wants to discount the Blazers and Pacers, however, will have an easier time convincing themselves that the record is fool's gold because their recent history is not as solid, especially the Blazers'. I wouldn't expect a record-breaking season from either squad, but I also know that bad teams don't go on nine game winning streaks.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 11-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Being 12-1 is good regardless of who you're playing.

I don't care if you play the worst team in the league 13 times. That's still very impressive to come out with that record.

Add in the multiple back to backs, and the 4 games 5 night stretch. I don't think it's fools gold. But I also don't expect us to keep up this pace either.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!