Thread: Is the Pacers' 12-1 record fools' gold?

Threaded View

Default Is the Pacers' 12-1 record fools' gold?

I was looking at the standings today and was pretty shocked how bad the EC is so far this season.

Currently there are THREE teams (out of 15!) in the East with a winning record. That's just atrocious. Some of the supposed "contender" teams this season round out the bottom - Brooklyn is 3-10, Knicks 3-9. Bulls are 6-6 with Rose now out indefinitely, perhaps for the season.

Given that we've only played two WC teams so far (Memphis and New Orleans), I thought I'd do some quick math and look at some numbers regarding the Pacers' hot start. Here are some interesting figures:

1) Of the 12 teams the Pacers have played so far (we've played the Bulls twice), exactly ONE of these teams currently has a winning record - Memphis at 7-6.

2) The 12 teams we've played have won 36% of their games so far combined, with a total record of 57-100.

3) Our next opponent, the TWolves, are in 10th place in the west at 8-7. That record would give them the 4th seed in the east right now, and only 1 game out from the 3 seed.

Starting one week from today the Pacers enter a pretty brutal stretch compared to the cakewalk they've had so far. In a 10-day stretch we play road games v. the Clippers, Trailblazers, Jazz, Spurs, and Thunder before returning home v. Miami. Of course the Jazz are terrible but the other five teams have a combined 52-14 record, winning 79% of their games so far(!)

I don't really have a point to all this other than to say that this team really hasn't been tested yet, at all, with the exception of the Chicago games, one of which we got our asses kicked.

The road trip will be interesting, as will the two Miami games coming up. Thoughts? Predictions? Are the Pacers really as good as their record?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post: