Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers Beat Philly (Postgame Thread)

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Beat Philly (Postgame Thread)

Random fact:

Chris Copeland has hit a 3 in each one of our games since the Memphis game. That's 6 games in a row and if he keeps playing then I think that this would be worth tracking.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Gotta hand it to the 76ers, those kids are fiesty. Carter-Williams sure opened up some eyes too.
    A tougher game than expected, but when it came crunch time the Pacers really stepped up with
    their veteran poise and savvy. Without Roy and DWest we would have been in trouble.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 11-24-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO both PG and Lance have been shooting a little too much and I'd like to see some those attempts go to Roy in the post first. They say you can't argue with success but I think we're a better team when we play inside out instead of running down to take the quick J. I don't mind the PNP plays at all but a lot of Pauls and Lances jump shots are quick jumpers and some are just not good shots.
    I agree with that and I think you're partially right.

First, I think it's more a case of PG taking more shots than Lance lately but I could be wrong of course. Then, the emergence of PG as our go to guy and even superstar, more or less makes it a 'necessary evil'. He is bound to take more shots this season yet I haven't seen him really overdoing it other than 3 or 4 times per game.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

We got out rebounded on the Off Boards by 23 to 8. Cut those 23 down to 11 or 12 and we have a blow out. Hit the boards guys.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

One minor concern I have is that I really don't trust either of the Pacers' PFs at the rim. David West misses bunnies like it's his job, and Scola seems to make finishes more difficult than they should be. It's a minor concern, but a consistent one through 12 games nonetheless.

(Also, would be nice if GHill could start hitting that patented teardrop...feels like he's missed a ton of those this year!)

At the game, I thought the Scola/Copeland pairing was a train wreck. Looking at the box score, I am not so sure. Getting the Sixers to go to LaVoy Allen et al for scoring worked better than it might seem. Orton was 3-11, Allen 1-4 and Davies 1-2. It did get the Sixers to go away from their regular offense.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    I would be willing to bet we never lose more than 2 games in a row. This team has just too many contributors and is just too focused.
    Uhhh...I'll get back with you on that after the West-coast trip.

On a side-note, I honestly believe if this game was in Philly, we'd most likely of lost.

But I do love that we're zoned in...thus far

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    Great win.

Gotta say, Michael Carter-Williams is the real deal. Am I crazy for thinking he could be ROY if he keeps this up?
    I'd say it's a given, barring a complete 10-20 game drop-off, or injury

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    Uhhh...I'll get back with you on that after the West-coast trip.

On a side-note, I honestly believe if this game was in Philly, we'd most likely of lost.

But I do love that we're zoned in...thus far
    1.) If this was in Philly frank wouldn't have been going all crazy with the rotations, we have played much better teams and beat them on the road.

2.)The west coast trip, I'm not scared. This team IS the best in the league, and we are playing great on the road this year, minus one anomaly of a game. May we lose one or two? Maybe. But I am not scared of any team on any night in any venue.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

13. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

It was a back to back against a team with a bad record that came out and hustled. Our coach used weird rotations and the whistle was blown like a train on the tracks. It was not as close as most of you are making it out to be. Every time they would fight back we would simply put them back away.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Mood

That, plus their full court press/zone threw us off a bit, too.

And I think I counted at least 3 times we turned the ball over in instances where two Pacers were going for a defensive rebound, with no 76er nearby, only to cause the ball to fall out of bounds. So there's 3+ extra possessions for Philly right there. I felt like we were pretty much in control most of the game.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

As mentioned in another thread, we are the cat. We pawed around with them most of the game, then sank are fangs in deep enough to know they would lose.

It feels a lot better being the cat. Meanwhile, what has Troy Mousey been doing these days?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I think some of you are overusing the 'Pacers in control' narrative, at least for this game. Philly was close or ahead for most of the game. If Turner decides he doesn't have to go mano-a-mano with the second best defensive wing in the NBA (and defers to a season-high scoring MCW), Philly would have scored enough to win. It's not just that the Pacers CAN lose games. Other teams, even if they are not high in the standing, can WIN over us. When talking about the Pacers clamping down, it's about doing it on defense. We did not clamp down at all in the fourth (after a good third) and that's why the Sixers should have won. (They didn't thanks to Turner being not smart.)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

You guys think there is anyway we could trade/give away Copeland? The money they spent on him would be much better served going towards Lance. Maybe the Knicks want him back. He reminds me of James Posey, the old Pacers version, just not as smart James was on defense. That said, it's nice the only thing I can ***** about is a bench warmer who get paid too much. This team is so deep...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    1.) If this was in Philly frank wouldn't have been going all crazy with the rotations, we have played much better teams and beat them on the road.

2.)The west coast trip, I'm not scared. This team IS the best in the league, and we are playing great on the road this year, minus one anomaly of a game. May we lose one or two? Maybe. But I am not scared of any team on any night in any venue.
    Even though I feel we're good enough to win a championship, I don't exactly share your same enthusiasm about not being, at least, somewhat scared with the west coast trip. The Portland and Oklahoma City games are 2nd of back-to-back. These aren't the Knicks, Pelicans, or Celtics....and if we come out lethargic, like we have the last few games, we could potentially get creamed 4 out of the 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    You guys think there is anyway we could trade/give away Copeland? The money they spent on him would be much better served going towards Lance. Maybe the Knicks want him back. He reminds me of James Posey, the old Pacers version, just not as smart James was on defense. That said, it's nice the only thing I can ***** about is a bench warmer who get paid too much. This team is so deep...
    I wonder if we could get fredette from the kings. Hes expiring and they have clearly given up on him.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    If Bird thinks that he needs to trade him in order to save money for Lance then he will do it. Cope's contract is easily tradeable and Bird will make sure that Lance remains a Pacer.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Copeland = the essence of sieve of defense.

His shooting might win us a game or two though.

Too bad he can't play some 3. You'd almost think he could against other teams' bench unit. But he's so damn slow laterally and straight up.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo

I think this west coast trip will be the big test. Portland and San Antonio are playing really well too.

Sports Logo

Here is Paul George's shot chart so far:

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...Season=2013-14

He is actually finishing below the league average mark in the paint (29/59, 49.15%). He is shooting the 3 greatly from the corners but the sample size is small. He is shooting the top of the arc 3 at league average but he is struggling from the two flanks. His mid range game looks awesome except from the left baseline area.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    The second problems with this idea is that it puts Scola at Center. Scola is not a Center. He doesn't have the size, length or athleticism to play that position and defend the rim. So, this idea exposes both Scola and Copeland. Both of them should be paired with a rim protector. That's when they function best defensively.

If you want to pair Scola and Copeland together then playing Cope at SF and have one Roy/Ian at Center is a better idea. There are some teams that do not have great offensive SFs and we could get away with doing this.
    Houston used to play Scola with Chuck Hayes (6'7" on a good day) at the 4/5. But Hayes was a good defender for his size

I agree that I don't want to see the Scola/Copeland combo again at the 4/5 but I still think that Scola/West would work well for us in spurts and we haven't seen much of that this year.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Houston used to play Scola with Chuck Hayes (6'7" on a good day) at the 4/5. But Hayes was a good defender for his size
    As far as I recall, Hayes played Center in those line-ups and he was the one that guarded the best offensive big of the other team. He was an excellent defender, especially in the post.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014