Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Beat Philly (Postgame Thread)

Default Pacers Beat Philly (Postgame Thread)

Somebody fell asleep at the switch.

Does anyone know how to embed videos from NBA.com?

http://www.nba.com/video/games/pacer...-ind-recap.nba

What a weird game. We got outhustled and outrebounded by a visiting team with 9 players, yet led at the half for only the fourth time in 12 games. Roy Hibbert didn't have a block in the first half but ended with six on the night. Paul didn't break 20, but all 5 starters were in double digits. No Mahinmi.

Well, I'll take it. A win is a win, and Vogel supposedly said that he's experimenting with different looks. Presumably he'd have played differently if he was more worried about the opponent. Some of the combos were interesting, but I don't ever want to see Scola at 5 and Cope at 4. Scola/West can work together, or Roy/Cope. MAYBE West/Cope (but it wouldn't be high on my list). But Scola/Cope is a recipe for ugliness. Plus, when they're on the floor together I'm always getting them mixed up because I just watch for long hair.

Other thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Beat Philly (Postgame Thread)

The Sixers played very hard. They deserve a lot of credit for that. Their future is good.

Paul fell 1 point short of 20 points. He just needed to hit one more FT
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489061

We've been struggling to get Roy the ball," Vogel said. "He's doing all the dirty work for us, protecting the rim, rebounding, offensive rebounding. We haven't been sharp in our post game the last couple games."

I'm really glad to see Vogel acknowledge this. I do think it's been a coaching issue for the past few games. We need to establish Roy early to get the inside out game going as a regular thing. The last few games we've been more of a jump shooting team which I don't think is best for the team long term.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another win. Let's keep rolling
    Impossible Is Nothing

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm really glad to see Vogel acknowledge this. I do think it's been a coaching issue for the past few games. We need to establish Roy early to get the inside out game going as a regular thing. The last few games we've been more of a jump shooting team which I don't think is best for the team long term.
    We weren't a jump shooting team tonight but I agree that this is the general thread.

There is a reason for it, though. We simply run much more Pick and Pop (and some Pick and Roll) this season and this takes away several post touches. Paul George and Lance Stephenson have a bigger freedom to create and run PnP at the top of the key. The reason that we do this is twofold:

1) PG and Lance have stepped up their offensive game and thus we involve them in a lot of PnPs that increases their scoring opportunities.

2) We have more players to run the Pick and Pop with. Scola and Copeland are good PnP players. The only good PnP player we had last year was West.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    We weren't a jump shooting team tonight but I agree that this is the general thread.

There is a reason for it, though. We simply run much more Pick and Pop (and some Pick and Roll) this season and this takes away several post touches. Paul George and Lance Stephenson have a bigger freedom to create and run PnP at the top of the key. The reason that we do this is twofold:

1) PG and Lance have stepped up their offensive game and thus we involve them in a lot of PnPs that increases their scoring opportunities.

2) We have more players to run the Pick and Pop with. Scola and Copeland are good PnP players. The only good PnP player we had last year was West.
    IMO both PG and Lance have been shooting a little too much and I'd like to see some those attempts go to Roy in the post first. They say you can't argue with success but I think we're a better team when we play inside out instead of running down to take the quick J. I don't mind the PNP plays at all but a lot of Pauls and Lances jump shots are quick jumpers and some are just not good shots.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I figured we'd start the season like a bat out of hell, but starting out 12-1 is something else. I love that the team is obviously insanely focused on getting that number 1 seed. They view every game as a must win. If a guy is dinged up like Hill was at the beginning of the season, then obviously you rest him, but it's petal to the medal all season for everyone who is healthy. This team is clearly obsessed with getting that first seed. Unfortunately, Miami has been hot lately. We're going to have to be on our A+ game all season to outdo them. They are also well aware of the fact that home court advantage played a huge role in last year's series.

I'm glad Roy got a lot of touches tonight. I hate games where he doesn't get many opportunities.

What's impressive about our 12-1 start is that we are getting everyone's best shot night in and night out. This isn't 2011-12 where we were a new team who took the league by surprise. By now, all of our opponents know full well how successful we've been over the last couple of seasons. They circle the games against the Pacers on their schedule and give us max effort. Just look at the last three wins since the massacre in Chicago: New York, Boston, and Philly were all playing their asses off trying to beat us, yet all of them came up short. That's the mark of a great team. We had faults in each of these three games, yet we still came up with the win. That is the mark of a true elite team. Last year, we definitely lose at least one of the last three games.

At this point, we're not going to lose many games unless we either play completely awful or our opponent plays lights out against us. I thought the loss in Chicago was a mix of both. We were absolutely dreadful on both ends of the court while Chicago was lights out. Rose hit six three's, the team shot 58% from three, Deng was on fire, and Taj Gibson scored as if he was freaking Charles Barkley. Chicago deserves credit for completely outplaying us, but we were also just "off" that night. So far, no one has been able to beat us when we've played a reasonably good game. It's going to be super tough for any team to beat us when we're playing well, and it's still going to be hard even when we're a bit off.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-23-2013 at 11:51 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

You can't spell Indiana without Ian. Free Mahinmi!

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    IMO both PG and Lance have been shooting a little too much and I'd like to see some those attempts go to Roy in the post first. They say you can't argue with success but I think we're a better team when we play inside out instead of running down to take the quick J. I don't mind the PNP plays at all but a lot of Pauls and Lances jump shots are quick jumpers and some are just not good shots.
    We should find a better balance between the shots that PG, Lance and Roy are taking but I'm confident that we will do it eventually. At the moment, we seem to be going with the hot hand. When Roy has the hot hand, we will feed him like we did tonight and in the Milwaukee game. When Lance has the hot hand, he will get the ball like it happened in the Cleveland game. When Paul is hot, he will take over like it happened in MSG. Heck, even Scola will get 10 shots if he is hot (like it happened against the Grizzlies and against Boston).

We generally have several options and we are exploring them. We're bound to make mistakes when we're trying out stuff but I'm confident that we will figure it out sooner or later.

About Paul's and Lance's jumpers now. Paul's jumper out of the PnR is a shot that he has proved that he can make with great consistency. I'm completely fine with him taking that shot. I didn't like one shot that he took tonight (he was forced to iso on the left elbow, dribbled a few times between his feet and took an off balance jumper) but other than that I was fine with his shots. Lance, on the other hand, mostly looks to pass when he's the ball handler in the PnR. His chemistry with David West and Luis Scola is great. When he is scoring out of that play, he mostly does it by getting to the rim.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    but it's petal to the medal all season for everyone who is healthy.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

12-1 excellent so far. We should have a great idea exactly who we are by January 1st. In December we have a west coast trip against very good teams and two games against each of Miami and Brooklyn. Our schedule so far has been favorable for us; for the first time this season, we have multiple challenges waiting for us on the horizon.

I can hardly wait.

What will we need to meet those challenges?

Hibbert has really stepped up his game offensively the last few games. We need that to continue. We do need to regain some of our earlier consistency in our perimeter shooting. We also need to hit our free throws, especially when the game is on the line. It wouldn't hurt to also maintain a higher level defensive focus throughout ALL four quarters.

One thing that I believe will be important to beat the better teams is for George to better pursue offensive opportunities in the first half instead of mostly deferring in the first half only to turn it on starting in the third quarter.

Like I said, I can hardly wait.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Just caught the game late on DVR after my daughter's birthday party. Again, not pretty at times, but I could care less. A win is a win is a win.

Let's keep rolling!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

The team just seems to pace themselves. They don't try to win it in the 1st qtr and shoot their wad and then fall flat. They just chug along keeping things competitive and looking for opportunities, and then when it's time they kick on the afterburners and get the job done. In an 82 game season, that's smart....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The team just seems to pace themselves. They don't try to win it in the 1st qtr and shoot their wad and then fall flat. They just chug along keeping things competitive and looking for opportunities, and then when it's time they kick on the afterburners and get the job done. In an 82 game season, that's smart....
    Agreed, plus as infuriating as it is during the games I like that Vogel is testing out matchups and lineups. Could prove useful in the playoffs I remember hearing Cuban explain how they practiced the zone they would later use on the Heat during a preseason game. Not exactly preseason, but best to test things out any chance we get.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Mood

I hope you are all just as positive when the P's hit a rough patch and lose a coupe of three in a row.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I hope you are all just as positive when the P's hit a rough patch and lose a coupe of three in a row.
    I would be willing to bet we never lose more than 2 games in a row. This team has just too many contributors and is just too focused.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sixers are the second best coached team we have faced other than Chicago. They know exactly what they are and they play extremely hard. Good poach of Brown by them. It's amazing especially when you compare this brilliant hire to the JKidd butt fumble going on in Brooklyn.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    You can't spell Indiana without Ian. Free Mahinmi!
    I totally agree. I was yelling for Ian the whole second half!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great win.

Gotta say, Michael Carter-Williams is the real deal. Am I crazy for thinking he could be ROY if he keeps this up?

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    Great win.

Gotta say, Michael Carter-Williams is the real deal. Am I crazy for thinking he could be ROY if he keeps this up?
    He's running away with the award.

1st in scoring amongst rookies.
    1st in rebounding amongst rookies.
    1st in assists amongst rookies.
    1st in 3% amongst rookies (minimum 20 makes).
    1st in minutes amongst rookies.

He's lapped the competition multiple times. The only rookie in the same stratosphere has been Oladipo, who's been good on a per-minute basis, but is only playing 26.5 mpg.

Great win.

Just look at what the rest of the rookies are doing. Yep absolutely nothing. Still a long season and only guy doing something is oladipo other then that can't think of anyone competing with him

37. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHale For This Useful Post:

I really wonder what Oladipo would be doing if they weren't playing him out of position

Sports Logo

My first thought is I HATE SMALL BALL.

What's worse....playing Copeland with Scola is a horrible idea. Small Ball has to be played with a strong interior defender that can help rebound, has the length to defend the post and prevent dribble penetration. For all of you that complain about how poor Copeland's defense is......this is a known fact that his defense sucks. Pairing him with Scola...of course Copeland is going to expose his main weakness and we end up losing the rebounding to an undermanned Sixers. IMHO...this is all on Vogel. It's up to Vogel to pair him with a strong interior rebounder and Post defender.

My second thought is....is Mahinmi still injured? I remember that he had an ankle injury a few weeks back. I suspect that he is.....which would explain why his minutes are limited.

My third thought is....I would much rather see more of West/Scola ( if Mahinmi is not available ) and only see Copeland on the floor with Hibbert. If Copeland is to be the Stretch-4 at the Backup PF spot....he should only be paired with Hibbert or Mahinmi and a very long lineup....like GH/CJ, Lance, PG24. This would improve the overall rebounding and defense of any lineup that Copeland is in. This is a simple matter of adjustment that I'd think that Vogel would make.

My last thought is....we played down to the Sixers for part of the game....enough to leave the door open for the Sixers.

BTW....did I say that I hate Small Ball?
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-24-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Great win.

He's gained some far margin against the rest of the rookies. If Philly is just in contention right now he would've been in the MVP race.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    What's worse....playing Copeland with Scola is a horrible idea. Small Ball has to be played with a strong interior defender that can help rebound, has the length to defend the post and prevent dribble penetration. For all of you that complain about how poor Copeland's defense is......this is a known fact that his defense sucks. Pairing him with Scola...of course Copeland is going to expose his main weakness and we end up losing the rebounding to an undermanned Sixers.
    The second problems with this idea is that it puts Scola at Center. Scola is not a Center. He doesn't have the size, length or athleticism to play that position and defend the rim. So, this idea exposes both Scola and Copeland. Both of them should be paired with a rim protector. That's when they function best defensively.

If you want to pair Scola and Copeland together then playing Cope at SF and have one Roy/Ian at Center is a better idea. There are some teams that do not have great offensive SFs and we could get away with doing this.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: