Thread: Vogel: A long-term coach?

Default Vogel: A long-term coach?

So we haven't heard much about Larry Bird's "three year coaching" rule. I see some coaches that rotate through the league, but I also see coaches that land in a certain place and stay there for a long time: Sloan in Utah, Pop in SA. The coach becomes a face of the team as much as the players, and it definitely gives a stability to the organization as a whole.

Could Vogel be that kind of coach? Could Indy be that kind of team?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vogel: A long-term coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we haven't heard much about Larry Bird's "three year coaching" rule. I see some coaches that rotate through the league, but I also see coaches that land in a certain place and stay there for a long time: Sloan in Utah, Pop in SA. The coach becomes a face of the team as much as the players, and it definitely gives a stability to the organization as a whole.

I would hope so, but it remains to be seen how Vogel deals with adversity. The team has been on a general upswing since he took over, so we've only seen one side of his coaching ability - how he shepherds a bunch of guys into a goal that they can see in front of them. The tell will be how he can deal with a team when the goal isn't quite as clear-cut and when there are players who get deserved flak from the media and fans because they are more flawed than these guys are.

Of course, if we are lucky enough to keep our top guys for a long time a la San Antonio, we might not need to see that...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I really hope that Frank has a very long tenure with the Pacers. I honestly don't think there is a better candidate for our culture and approach to the game.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

It will all depend on the continuity of winning plus how the players respond to his leadership. One of the things that the likes of Pop and Sloan have is that players respond well to their coaching styles and that most of their seasons are winning seasons. Same with Phil Jackson. And if Bird didn't follow his plan he would've lasted more than 3 seasons too as a coach.

So if Vogel does want to keep the Pacers coaching gig, of course he should deliver the wins and at the same time his players should always back him up within the organization.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've heard discussions about the Pacers core and who is a core member of the franchise. To me, the Pacers have a 3 person core:

Paul George
    Roy Hibbert
    Frank Vogel

These are the 3 Pacers that the brass want to ensure are in the organization until 2020. Every move they make will be to get players that complement the strengths of those 3.

Remember, the Spurs have been good for years with Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich (and Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, to a lesser extent). The Patriots have been good for years with Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck. The Yankees were good for years with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera.

That's the success that the Pacers are trying to emulate, and that's the core group that can pull it off. So, to answer your question, I think the Pacers keep Vogel as long as they can. And they should. He's one of the best.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I would hope so, but it remains to be seen how Vogel deals with adversity. The team has been on a general upswing since he took over, so we've only seen one side of his coaching ability - how he shepherds a bunch of guys into a goal that they can see in front of them. The tell will be how he can deal with a team when the goal isn't quite as clear-cut and when there are players who get deserved flak from the media and fans because they are more flawed than these guys are.

Of course, if we are lucky enough to keep our top guys for a long time a la San Antonio, we might not need to see that...
    I think we have seen how Frank does with adversity, the interim year where things nearly blew up in the locker room in Houston during the losing streak, last year when the team started off slow...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I think he's the long-term coach. I think the players really like him, and just as a lot of our players have grown, so has he. Honestly, outside of Poppovich, and maybe Rivers, Carlisle, or Thiobdeau (you could make an argument), I can't think of anyone who I think is better.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I think we have seen how Frank does with adversity, the interim year where things nearly blew up in the locker room in Houston during the losing streak, last year when the team started off slow...
    Not quite the same. Even though there were locker room issues, there was always the potential to reach pretty deep into the playoffs (and, in the interim year, just to not be the previous coach). I think what challenges a coach most is when the team isn't quite good enough to reach one of the tangible end-of-season goals and knows it - then players tend to start focusing on themselves and their future rather than focusing on the team.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

In order to be consistent, Bird needs to fire Vogel at the All-Star break.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I don't even understand why this would need to be asked. That's all I can add to this discussion.

i hope Vogel retires a Pacer.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I've heard discussions about the Pacers core and who is a core member of the franchise. To me, the Pacers have a 3 person core:

Paul George
    Roy Hibbert
    Frank Vogel
    If you are including management, Bird's got to be part of the core.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

I thought right away, why would either side want to break this combination up? Then I re-thought. Maybe if the Pacers go to the Finals this year or win the Championship, FV will either get or at least want a long term extension for some really serious money, or some other teams will start looking at his track record and offering the money and perks to steal him away. Maybe the thought of taking over another team building project(with Brad Stevens type paycheck) would appeal to Frank. How many seasons of 'close but not quite' will the Pacers and Bird be willing to give FV?

Sports Logo

Clearly Vogel will be here for more than three years!

Not quite the same. Even though there were locker room issues, there was always the potential to reach pretty deep into the playoffs (and, in the interim year, just to not be the previous coach). I think what challenges a coach most is when the team isn't quite good enough to reach one of the tangible end-of-season goals and knows it - then players tend to start focusing on themselves and their future rather than focusing on the team.
    Not going to be a problem with Frank Vogel.

Regardless of team and opponent, he seems to genuinely believe HIS team will be the winning team.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I would hope so, but it remains to be seen how Vogel deals with adversity.
    Losing your best player to injury last year, doesn't count as adversity?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Vogel has done everything you could possibly want as a head coach. The players love him, his defense-first approach is the correct one, and this team has gotten better every year under him.

As long as the Pacers play hard and remain competitive, Vogel is the man for the job.

So we haven't heard much about Larry Bird's "three year coaching" rule.
    That quote was more about Bird establishing the expectation early on in regards to how long he was willing to coach.

It could be true that those 80's Celtics teams tuned out their coaches after 3-years but suspect that was more a function of Fitch, Jones & Rodgers not exactly being on par with Riley, Sloan & Popavich than anything else. Those Celtics teams were pretty cerebral across the board and likely wouldn't connect long-term with a less than special coach.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Mood

I hope Vogel becomes the longest tenured and most successful coach in Pacers history!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Not going to be a problem with Frank Vogel.

Regardless of team and opponent, he seems to genuinely believe HIS team will be the winning team.
    I think that could get tiring if the team knows they aren't. One assumes Frank will change up the positive he emphasizes, but it remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Losing your best player to injury last year, doesn't count as adversity?
    Honestly? Not really. Everyone's on the same page trying to overcome a single known problem. It only becomes trouble if you DON'T have "next man up" being successful. In particular, imagine if PG had gone down as well. What would the locker room have been like if someone from that bench had to come up for a couple months and not do as well as Lance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS