Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 216

Thread: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,177

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, damn. If Rose is done, how many years does the asterisk apply to the non-Bulls NBA champs? Is that in the CBA or does Stern decide?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  3. #102

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Sad for DRose. I did predict before that he'll get beat with injuries because of his style of play. But of course I would not want an injured player with that much talent because it's good for the NBA in general to have more competitive teams and more recognizable players in the competition.

    For those who are saying that it would put an asterisk on the Pacers wins should Rose miss again this season (or any other stars in the East), that's nonsense if you ask me. This team controls their own destiny. It's just disrespectful for our own players who play hard and always go for the win regardless of who's on the opposition as well as for the guys in the "rival" team (particularly Chicago) who are also a tough team and can win games without their star player. Let's also remember that we are also missing our top scorer (Danny Granger) so let's not make an excuse for the other team's losses as well as to blemish our team's wins because of other teams' dilemmas.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  5. #103

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    The Rose Garden is cursed that place has ruined more basketball careers than I can count and that's with their own team...

  6. #104
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,274

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    As a Colts fan, I know how much it sucks to see a promising season derailed due to injuries.

    Hopefully Rose is okay.

  7. #105

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to say it but when I see an athlete just collapse with no contact, I assume the worst.

    Yep that happened to Marc Gasol last night too and of course Reggie with the Colts last month

  8. #106
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,274

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Rose Garden is cursed that place has ruined more basketball careers than I can count and that's with their own team...
    Irony?

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  10. #107

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just researched every championship ever won in every sport and the good news is that there have been no asterisks assigned to any team because a opposing teams star went down in with a non contact injury early in the season... And I am a guru on asterisks. Except how to spell astrisk...

    The 2011 Giants team did however receive an asterisk for their championship, but it wasn't because Peyton had a broken neck. It was because they won it with a gump for a qb
    Yes the same gump who's related to our then QB and beat the hated Pats twice in the SB. You should be glad the Giants won because the alternative was too horrific to imagine around here.

  11. #108
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,256

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to say it but when I see an athlete just collapse with no contact, I assume the worst.
    Reggie Wayne
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  12. #109

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    This injury just pisses me off.
    Rose didn't land on his leg awkwardly, didn't collide with anybody, and didn't twist his knee.
    He just ran and his knee buckled.

    I'm no doctor but to me, this injury, like so many other serious injuries around the league, seems like a direct result of how stupidly long the regular season is.
    The players' bodies are taking on WAY too much in too short a time. Too many back 2 backs, 5 games in 7 nights etc. Their bodies don't have sufficient time to rest and heal
    and some guys just break down because of it.

    I wish the league would realise this already and cut down about 20 or so meaningless regular season games, for the good of the players and the NBA.

    The Bulls are suffering right now, but it could easily be us.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DgR For This Useful Post:


  14. #110
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    It's unfortunate. You never like to see a player get hurt, even on a rival (Yes, Derrick I said it). I was hoping to see the Pacers and Bulls battle it out this year, but without Rose, I think we now have the clear upperhand. You can tell Rose worked really hard to come back, and to have to do that all over again, will really suck. No doubt about it.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  16. #111
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Sometimes individuals are just prone to injury. Whether they play 82 games or 62 games isn't a huge factor in that.

    Trust me, I'm the most injury prone person you've probably ever met.

    D. Rose just has rotten luck with his body. There may or may not be underlying reasons for it.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  17. #112
    Certified Fresh funnyguy1105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This injury just pisses me off.
    Rose didn't land on his leg awkwardly, didn't collide with anybody, and didn't twist his knee.
    He just ran and his knee buckled.

    I'm no doctor but to me, this injury, like so many other serious injuries around the league, seems like a direct result of how stupidly long the regular season is.
    The players' bodies are taking on WAY too much in too short a time. Too many back 2 backs, 5 games in 7 nights etc. Their bodies don't have sufficient time to rest and heal
    and some guys just break down because of it.

    I wish the league would realise this already and cut down about 20 or so meaningless regular season games, for the good of the players and the NBA.

    The Bulls are suffering right now, but it could easily be us.
    I agree that the regular season should be cut to 58 games or so but disagree that the length of the regular season had anything to do with Rose's injury. The guy was out for 18 months, has sat out a game or two, and we're only 10-12 games into the season.

    You could argue that this injury is due to favoring his good knee vs his injured one and that acl tear was due to the length of season but I think that's way too complicated to draw one clear conclusion from.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funnyguy1105 For This Useful Post:


  19. #113

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Also, psychology can definitely play part in injuries.
    Tearing an ACL can be a major trauma for professional athletes, and being constantly fearful
    of being re-injured and not trusting your body can lead to more injuries, especially to full throttle players like Rose,
    and especially when you're talking about knees, where a single awkward move or bad shift of balance can cause serious harm.

    So no, being in a bad place mentally won't directly cause your knee to buckle,
    but it can cause you to take a miss step than will cause an injury, especially when you're tired on a 2nd game of a back 2 back.

    Just my opinion.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DgR For This Useful Post:


  21. #114
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    I would argue that DRose subjects his ligaments to higher forces than most, with the way he moves. His game has always been about speed, change of direction and odd landing and awkward motions. The only guy I've ever seen have a prolonged career with a similar style and relatively few hiccups was Iverson.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  22. #115

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This injury just pisses me off.
    Rose didn't land on his leg awkwardly, didn't collide with anybody, and didn't twist his knee.
    He just ran and his knee buckled.

    I'm no doctor but to me, this injury, like so many other serious injuries around the league, seems like a direct result of how stupidly long the regular season is.
    The players' bodies are taking on WAY too much in too short a time. Too many back 2 backs, 5 games in 7 nights etc. Their bodies don't have sufficient time to rest and heal
    and some guys just break down because of it.

    I wish the league would realise this already and cut down about 20 or so meaningless regular season games, for the good of the players and the NBA.

    The Bulls are suffering right now, but it could easily be us.
    I think revenues got to play with the number of games. Not that I totally disagree with your point, but in the case of Rose, it's not the regular season schedule that caused this injury. It's basically just his body breaking down with the stress of the style of his play. He was basically well rested with about 18 months of not playing.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  24. #116
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Yea Rose has relatively few NBA miles on his body. His style of play is what I look to.

    The moves he pulls off are awesome, but the body is not built to move like that.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 11-23-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  26. #117
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,246

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would argue that DRose subjects his ligaments to higher forces than most, with the way he moves. His game has always been about speed, change of direction and odd landing and awkward motions. The only guy I've ever seen have a prolonged career with a similar style and relatively few hiccups was Iverson.
    Iverson was smoother and not has herky jerky. I felt the same way about him spinning into the teeth of the defense. Wondered when he'd break his ankle, actually.

  27. #118

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, psychology can definitely play part in injuries.
    Tearing an ACL can be a major trauma for professional athletes, and being constantly fearful
    of being re-injured and not trusting your body can lead to more injuries, especially to full throttle players like Rose,
    and especially when you're talking about knees, where a single awkward move or bad shift of balance can cause serious harm.

    So no, being in a bad place mentally won't directly cause your knee to buckle,
    but it can cause you to take a miss step than will cause an injury, especially when you're tired on a 2nd game of a back 2 back.

    Just my opinion.
    I'm also looking at this angle too. Worrying too much on your one leg and knee causes you to unconsciously put more pressure on your on your other leg and knee. Not that I'm an expert on this but I think it's just how mind works. It somehow tells your other parts of the body to compensate especially if psychologically he still has some reservations about the healing process of his former injury.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

    DgR

  29. #119
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,256

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Yeah guys but DgR has a great point.

    I may sound dramatic here but do you imagine playing 4 games in 5 days or 5 in 7 how tiring is for a player in an elite competition level? Hell I can't start to think the toll it takes in the end for a human body no matter how fit a player is. The schedule should be reduced.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  31. #120

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by funnyguy1105 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that the regular season should be cut to 58 games or so but disagree that the length of the regular season had anything to do with Rose's injury. The guy was out for 18 months, has sat out a game or two, and we're only 10-12 games into the season.

    You could argue that this injury is due to favoring his good knee vs his injured one and that acl tear was due to the length of season but I think that's way too complicated to draw one clear conclusion from.
    I would say it's a combination of both.
    Rose not fully trusting his body yet, not moving his legs like he did before his first injury,
    while also putting the excessive stress of an NBA regular season on his body caused this.
    Is it a coincidence he was injured late in 2nd game of a back-2-back? maybe.

    While I agree some players are more injury prone than others, I would also say it shouldn't be looked at as 'their problem' and 'they're bodies are made of glass' kind of way.
    I think the league should put it as one of its highest priorities to protect its players, especially the injury prone ones, because a league with more healthy player and less injuries is a better league.
    So a shorter regular season won't prevent ALL injuries, but injuries like Rose's or Kobe's achilles tear or many others might have been prevented, and if shortening
    the season to 60 games or so prevents a few of those wouldn't it be worth it?

  32. #121

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea Rose has relatively few NBA miles on his body. His style of play is what I look to.

    The moves he pulls off are awesome, but the body is not built to move like that.
    In a way, his size and bulk may have to do with it. Like you mentioned earlier, I think the close comparable style is AI and also Wade in his heyday. With AI, his speed and quickness corresponds to his relatively small weight and short height. His injuries basically come from him banging from the heavyweights inside the paint. Rose on the other hand looks "too big" in terms of his possessed gift in quickness and speed.

  33. #122

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    It won't make a difference even if you completely rest for 5 straight years, if you play 4 games in 5 night, you're not giving your body time to recuperate from one game to the other, so damage
    to your body tissues just builds up and your chances of being seriously injured are increased.
    Maybe mentally Rose can't be fatigued after that long layoff, but physically his body is incapable of storing rest/freshness much like it's incapable of storing sleep.

  34. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No matter what "rivalry" we have with the bulls.. Hope it ain't serious for D Rose! #ImACompetitor
    Paul George (@Paul_George24) November 23, 2013
    Interesting that PG put "rivalry" in quotes, after Rose had said the Pacers were not their rivals, and only the Heat were rivals to them.

  35. #124

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It won't make a difference even if you completely rest for 5 straight years, if you play 4 games in 5 night, you're not giving your body time to recuperate from one game to the other, so damage
    to your body tissues just builds up and your chances of being seriously injured are increased.
    Maybe mentally Rose can't be fatigued after that long layoff, but physically his body is incapable of storing rest/freshness much like it's incapable of storing sleep.
    Not really trying to dispute the number of games or the tough schedule in relation to the increased probability of injuries, because basically I agree with that, but I don't see that it's practically the core reason to Rose's current condition. We have seen other guys grind with the tough schedule but not all of them suffer the same fate. You can see guys like Kobe, KD and LeBron that have played the majority of a season in heavy minutes without major setbacks, until recently in Kobe's case. Sometimes it's more about how a player uses his body during games and of course how they play in terms of their built. And of course mileage is also another factor too, which also relates into the number of games and minutes played.
    Last edited by 15th parallel; 11-23-2013 at 02:15 PM.

  36. #125

    Default Re: Derrick Rose exits the game with an injury to his right knee.

    I feel so bad for Rose. I know he can say some stupid things at times (is that really surprising though?).

    It just seems like this specific injury is becoming more common for all basketball players. (Women and Men, college and pros..heck even high school.)

    Women's teams have begun changing the way they teach basketball to their players in order to prevent these tears. (When not to pass the ball, reducing the amount of times pivoting..) Maybe that's something Men's teams need to start doing.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •