Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 11/22/13

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 11/22/13

Another great second half leading to another great win putting us 10 games over the .500 mark!

Mr. "Triple-Double" Stephenson had himself another huge career night.

Great team basketball as always.

Last edited by Trophy; 11-22-2013 at 10:46 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 11/22/13

My halftime tirade was the turning point.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My halftime tirade was the turning point.
    Gameball, sir.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I can understand why the Heat coast for awhile and then go into KILL mode when needed but the Pacers don't have LeBron James and Dwyane Wade so they can ill afford to play like this.

I can understand why the Heat coast for awhile and then go into KILL mode when needed but the Pacers don't have LeBron James and Dwyane Wade so they can ill afford to play like this.
    Honestly, I feel like they can. For one thing, Paul George is now on the same or similar level to one or both of those two, and for another our defense and size superiority also gives us room for it. But I do agree that it's always dangerous.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No we just have Paul George, Roy Hibbert, David West, Lance Stephenson, George Hill, and Luis Scola

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No we just have Paul George, Roy Hibbert, David West, Lance Stephenson, George Hill, and Luis Scola
    All good players but not LeBron unfortunately.

Roaming Gnome used to always talk to me about how teams would play with us the way a cat plays with a mouse, and then when the game was getting late, the cat would just go ahead and sink its teeth into the mouse.

We are now the cat.

11. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Roaming Gnome used to always talk to me about how teams would play with us the way a cat plays with a mouse, and then when the game was getting late, the cat would just go ahead and sink its teeth into the mouse.

We are now the cat.
    For the sake of posters like hoosierguy and others that will be in need of a pacemaker by the end of the season, you have to wonder if they are able to "toy with the mouse" throughout the entire game ( instead of just the 2nd half ) so that they can build enough of a lead in the 4th QTR to rest the Starters towards the end of games.

We have enough talent to pull this off against less talented Teams like the Celtics and Pelicans....but playing like this against Playoff bound Teams won't get us wins all the time.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-22-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    For the sake of posters like hoosierguy, you have to wonder if they are able to toy with the mouse throughout the entire game so that they can build enough of a lead in the 4th QTR to rest the Starters towards the end of games.
    I admit I get too caught up in the moment but settle down after a little while. No one is perfect.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I admit I get too caught up in the moment but settle down after a little while. No one is perfect.
    Eh, you admit it at least.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Sorry, I was only pointing you out in that post ( as an example ) cuz I think that if the Team is capable of winning the race while driving 75 mph throughout the entire race as opposed to 50 mpg in the 1st half of the race and then gunning it at 100 mph in the 2nd half of the race.

I ( like you ) don't like that they sucked it up in the 1st half...but realize that they have a 2nd gear to fall back on when it comes to a clearly less talented and experienced Team ( hence why I didn't complain ).

In the end....IMHO, the Pacers won only because they were more talented and had more experience.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

For the sake of posters like hoosierguy and others that will be in need of a pacemaker by the end of the season, you have to wonder if they are able to "toy with the mouse" throughout the entire game ( instead of just the 2nd half ) so that they can build enough of a lead in the 4th QTR to rest the Starters towards the end of games.

We have enough talent to pull this off against less talented Teams like the Celtics and Pelicans....but playing like this against Playoff bound Teams won't get us wins all the time.
    The concept is that 'toying with the mouse' is when you let the other team stick around or even take the lead. You're done toying with the mouse when you take over the game later on. That's when you sink your teeth into the mouse. So what you want is for us to just sink in our teeth early on and be done with it.

Sports Logo

The concept is that 'toying with the mouse' is when you let the other team stick around or even take the lead. You're done toying with the mouse when you take over the game later on. That's when you sink your teeth into the mouse. So what you want is for us to just sink in our teeth early on and be done with it.
    I'm okay with that

I'm not sure why the Pacers play so much better after the 2nd half than the 1st half.

Side Note - Remember in the JO'B days when the Pacers used to play really well in the 1st half and then come out as flat in the 3rd QTR? Oyy...I remember those days

I don't know if it's intentional or not ( probably not ), but the Pacers don't have the luxury to "toy with the mouse" against every Team. Every win counts and a few losses here and there because we weren't able to "seal the deal" against a Team because the Team wasn't playing up to their regular intensity level in the 1st half?

I agree that the Pacers are now the "cat" that can toy with less talented "mice"...which is refreshing....but my concern is that this mentality of playing lights out defense won't work all the time against better coached and more talented Teams that are way better than the Celtics and Pelicans.

Maybe another analogy is at hand....rather than being the "cat that bites down on the mouse"...how about the python that slowly strangles the life out of it's pray for 3.5 QTRs and then letting the pray die a slow asphyxiated death for the rest of the 4th QTR?

Maybe I'm taking this analogy too far or off course?
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-22-2013 at 11:31 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure why the Pacers play so much better after the 2nd half than the 1st half.
    I think this has to do with a lot of things.....first the bench when as an entire unit is still learning to play with each other and it is resulting in us having the worst 2nd quarter team in the league (statistically not an opinion). I think this will come around later in the year because this year it isn't because we just have bad players playing in the 2nd quarter it is that they and even Frank are playing and tinkering with lineups and chemistry to find which strings work. In the 2nd half this becomes less of an issue because the bench in our rotation does not play that much in the 2nd half the 2nd half is mostly the starters 2 quarters.

I think the coaching staff has some to do with this as we really seem to refocus our team and make great adjustments. The intensity definitely picks up defensively in the 2nd half as well and for those saying well just bring that intensity the entire game you have to realize that just may not be realistic to play that intense of D 48 minutes a night 82 games a year. So as long as they play with max intensity every 2nd half I am ok with a little bit of coasting in the first half.

And lastly I compare our style of play to a great power running back where in the first half they may not being getting great results only 2 or 3 yards per carry but they wear on the opponent and come the 2nd half they start gashing the defense. Or you can use the boxing analogy that our team just throws a ton of body blows and come 2nd half the opponent just doesn't have as much fight left in them.

But ultimately I think the first half woes will get ironed out once the 2nd quarter lineup gets solid chemistry and learn to play well as a unit.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

I said the other day that starting games in the hole then expecting to win against good teams will bite the Pacers. This starting games off poorly will cost the Pacers against good teams. Good teams won't allow the Pacers to come back in the 2nd half to win the game.

We are now the cat.
    Armed with a hammer.

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

@ESPNStatsInfo: Lance Stephenson: Only player with multiple triple-doubles this season

29. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    @ESPNStatsInfo: Lance Stephenson: Only player with multiple triple-doubles this season
    I was just about to point this out. Here's the list, for anyone who cares:

NBA Triple-Double Leaders - ESPN

Sports Logo

I would say that our players care a bit about some stats. Roy wants to keep his blocked shot streak going. PG wants to restart his 20 points streak and he wants to score big in the second half as well. Lance will run more plays when he's close to a triple-double.

But I don't consider it a problem. They aren't doing that against the flow of the team. Roy is supposed to block shots for our D. PG tries to set others up in the first half and then takes command in the second. Lance is always looking to create for others triple-double or not. So, I don't really mind.

I'm just really happy when they accomplish their goals and we win the game
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Paul George at #10 and Lance Stephenson at #40... That 2010 draft is going to become a part of Pacers folklore. We'll all be telling our grandkids about it one day, or in hoosierguy's case, his house full of cats.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    And he's on my fantasy team! LOL.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Got the job done. West and Lance for me the best tonight. George has become a normality now so he doesn't deserve a mention. Lol. I would love to see him drive more though.

Hey guys, remember when we got West how we were fearing he would be a black hole on D? Although he is not elite by any stretch he is pretty decent I would say.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Maybe Larry will end up being right about who the best player on the team is.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Does 72-10 really look so unrealistic at this moment?
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

40. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post: