Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

IndyStar Article on the Resurgence of the Pacers: Inside story of the Pacers turnaround!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IndyStar Article on the Resurgence of the Pacers: Inside story of the Pacers turnaround!!

Very well written article on what happened when Vogel was hired and bringing us to the point of today.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...acers/3674339/
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM.

Re: IndyStar Article on the Resurgence of the Pacers

This is a great article

In 2004, the Indiana Pacers lost in the Eastern Conference finals and appeared poised for a run at the NBA championship with a young, talented nucleus. Then came the brawl. It's taken nearly a decade but the Pacers once again have people thinking about titles. Here's the inside story on how the Pacers were rebuilt as told by the project's chief architects: Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh.

Larry Bird's gut told him it was time.

The Indiana Pacers had lost seven of their past eight games but that wasn't the stretch Bird was looking at. He was looking ahead. He saw a stretch of 10 games and figured coach Jim O'Brien could win at least seven of them.

More important, Bird thought a new coach could do the same. It was a Sunday afternoon, Jan. 30, 2011. Bird called O'Brien in. He told the coach how much he appreciated all his hard work through 3½seasons of hard times. He told O'Brien he was firing him.

The Pacers were mired in negativity. O'Brien had been virulently, publicly critical of center Roy Hibbert. He was playing Paul George too little in Bird's opinion. He was playing Lance Stephenson scarcely at all.

Still, Bird felt deeply grateful. He felt O'Brien had established a system, a work ethos, a standard of expectation and execution with a young, emerging team. He asked O'Brien for his help, one more time. He asked who on the coach's staff might be a candidate to replace him.

Bird had already called several prospects but took O'Brien's recommendation to heart. Bird summoned assistant Frank Vogel to his office.

"I asked him if he had any interest in the job," Bird recalled. "He said, 'I don't know. I've got to think about that.'

"I said, 'No. No. No. I'm asking you if you have an interest in the job. This is the NBA. I'll get somebody else. I don't care.'

"I knew Frank was playing a little game. He wanted it but he didn't want to hurt (O'Brien's) feelings. He left. I called him and said, 'You've got the job.'

"I told him to bring all the coaches to dinner that night. So we got everybody together and I got up and all I said was: 'Frank is in charge.'

"(I said,) 'He's going to run the team but I want to tell all you guys right now, if I hear you say anything negative, other than coaching negativity about a bad pass or a bad screen, I'm going to fire you on the spot. I don't want any of that here. We're going to look at the future. We're going to be positive about the future.' "

Bird paused. He smirked.

"I'd say Frank went a little overboard," he said. "He's been here what, three years, four years? I've still never heard him say anything negative. It worked. He's done an excellent job."

From elite to irrelevant

Tuesday was the ninth anniversary of that November night in 2004 when Pacers Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands at Detroit to fight with fans and teammate Jermaine O'Neal punched a man.

Lengthy suspensions followed, as did further off-court issues and a growing dissatisfaction that sharply eroded and alienated the Pacers' fan base. Average attendance would dip from nearly 17,000 to as low as 12,221, last in the NBA.

Donnie Walsh, Pacers president from 1988-2008, faced the facts. A team Bird considered good enough to win the NBA title had to be blown up.

Said Walsh: "We had to start all over again."

It would be a long, painful slog. As a small market team, the Pacers couldn't afford to dump players, exceed the salary cap to acquire others and pay the NBA's prohibitive luxury tax. Neither could they attract elite, team-transforming free agents; Indianapolis hasn't the pocketbook and isn't the "destination" market New York, Los Angeles and Miami are.

Nor would quick remedy arrive through the draft. Over the nine drafts since the brawl, the Pacers have sniffed the lottery but once. Paul George was the 10th pick in 2010.

Said Walsh, who jettisoned Artest and Jackson in trades that exchanged good players for good citizens: "We had to trade our way out of the mess. There are no shortcuts unless you get the first pick and get LeBron James. When you're building a team you have to be patient because you're bringing in young guys who haven't played in this league no matter how talented they are.

"Larry was willing to do the hard things and stand there and say, 'It's going to work,' when nobody else thought so."

The Pacers lost more than they won for five consecutive seasons: 2007-11. While the Colts were winning games, division titles and a Super Bowl, the Pacers were losing ground, fans and money, but clinging grimly to their plan.

Said Bird, who sent another malefactor, Jamaal Tinsley, home to sit out the 2008-09 season: "I didn't feel sorry for myself. I felt sorry for our fans; people who dedicated a lot of money and instead of going on vacation came in here and watched us play 41 times a year.

"We had to change the culture. I knew our fan base was going to dwindle. Revenues weren't going to be where we wanted them at.

"It was tough. I'd go into meetings where they were trying to sell tickets. I laid out everything to my owner (Herb Simon). I laid out everything to our marketing people. I said, 'Look, I don't want to deviate from this. There are going to be times you doubt me like everybody else and I understand that. It's part of it. But stick with me."

The Pacers didn't deviate. They took the heat. They collected the pieces.

Brick by brick

Danny Granger was the first to arrive. The Pacers had the 17th pick in the 2005 draft. They projected Granger as a lottery pick. They got him to come to Indianapolis for a workout only as a favor.

Bird: "After 15 minutes, we said, 'Get him out of here. He doesn't need to be here. We have no chance.' He was that good."

Except that doubt persisted about a knee injury Granger played with as a senior. The draft went other ways. The Pacers got their man, their first piece, a wing scorer.

The center came next. The Pacers sent O'Neal, a six-time all-star whose play had been diminished by injury, to Toronto in a 2008 six-player deal that gave them the rights to the Roy Hibbert, the Raptors' draft pick at 17th overall.

The trade was a home run. The Pacers filled a need while dumping a contract that had two years remaining and had obligated them for more than $44 million.

The front office exulted. The fans boiled. Hibbert was not only raw, he lacked the most fundamental of basketball skills. He couldn't run.

Bird: "I played with Robert Parish (a hall of fame teammate at Boston) and Robert told me, 'You know, Cap, us big boys, it takes us a long time to get it but once we get it, we don't give in.'

"If you look at Robert's career, he scored the ball but he didn't run up and down the court until he got to Boston. That was tough for him. I remember when he came, he couldn't get free throw line to free throw line the first two months of the year."

Hibbert, too, learned. He has become perhaps the NBA's most lethal defender of the rim.

The 2009 draft netted Tyler Hansbrough, a willing but marginal contributor who was selected over several point guards (Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Jeff Teague) who have been more successful, but 2010 would prove pivotal for the Pacers.

Bird: "It was between Ed Davis and Paul George. I liked Paul George because of his length ... and all I heard was how great a kid he is and what he really wanted to be was a professional basketball player and everything was so positive.

"I liked Davis. He was a double-double guy but we needed more than that. We needed a guy, who if he really worked at it, could be special, and we got lucky. I knew we were going to catch hell, but that was all right."

The pick begot anger, and bewilderment: Paul Who?

Walsh: "Larry picked the right guy, and by the way, he was way more right than anybody knew at the time."

Davis has averaged 7.1 points and 6.3 rebounds over three-plus seasons with Toronto and Memphis, George 13.5 points and 5.9 rebounds for the Pacers. George is at 24.4 and 6.8 this season. He was an NBA All-Star at 22. His ceiling is yet to be glimpsed.

The Pacers had their incipient superstar, and they weren't finished with the 2010 draft. They grabbed Stephenson and his considerable baggage at No. 40.

Bird: "I thought he might go in the first round. I don't see anybody in the first round, the top 10 picks, with more talent than this young man. Can we save him? Can we help him? I don't know.

"And I thought, 'If I take this kid, everybody is going to be mad.' And they were."
    David Harrison and Shawne Williams, two other Walsh/Bird first-round picks with issues didn't work out. Stephenson has. The Pacers had another piece.

The acid test on George and Stephenson would be to conduct the 2010 draft again today. George would be the first pick. Stephenson would be gone by the middle of the first round, and maybe, as Bird feels, as a lottery pick.

Said Walsh, who left the Pacers in 2008 to spend two years rebuilding his hometown New York Knicks: "I was looking at it from New York and I thought, they're starting to get all the positions built. The more I watched, I thought, this group is playing so well together as a team."

"They're much better than their pieces."

Climbing the ladder

Vogel in 2011 returned the Pacers (37-45) to the playoffs after a four-year absence. They lost to Chicago, 4-1 in a competitive first-round series. They were progressing, and as ever, Bird was determined to stick with the plan, his plan, and do it his way.
    He wanted a point guard. He knew which one.

Bird: "I'd been after George Hill for three years. We needed a guy that was cool, calm, wouldn't get flustered, and if he's got something to say, he would say it directly to the guy under his breath and just run the offense and knock down open shots.

"I thought Kawhi Leonard was going to go in the top eight. (When he fell to the Pacers at 15, Bird had the commodity he needed to pry Hill from San Antonio.)

"I told Herbie (Simon, Pacers owner), 'I want George Hill but we're going to pay a price for it because this kid (Leonard) that just slipped to us is going to be one hell of a player but I think we need this for our team.' Herbie goes, 'OK, go ahead.' "

The Pacers had their point guard, but he wasn't their only acquisition, nor their most crucial.

Bird: "I can remember one time Donnie told me, he said, 'Bird (Walsh always addresses his front office protégé by his surname), you're going to be sitting in that office one day and somebody's going to want to make a trade and you're going to go: 'You mean you'd trade me him for that guy?'

"That sort of happened with David West. It wasn't a trade but free agency but once I knew his knee was fine, I knew we hit the jackpot.

"Of everything we've done here, with Roy, with Danny, with Paul, with Lance, the biggest change for this franchise, the turnaround, was because David West came in here. That changed the whole outlook of the guys downstairs (court level), and really, the face of the franchise.

"He's a real man. He brings it every day. He expects his players to do the right thing. He expects them to come together, work hard, play hard and get along.

"One guy changed everything."

Back in the chase

The newly configured team took the eventual NBA Champion Miami Heat to six games in the 2012 Eastern Conference semifinals. The Pacers were on the come. Bird was exhausted.

He took the 2012-13 season off to recover, to seek help for back and shoulder problems. Walsh stepped back in as president after a year off following his departure from the Knicks.

The Pacers had been restored. They went 49-32 and took the Heat, again the eventual champs, to seven games in the Eastern Conference finals. They did it without Granger, who was limited to five games by a knee injury.

Bird watched from home.

Bird: "I watched them all year and every time, I'd say, 'Where's the bench? I talked to Herbie and Donnie throughout the year. I knew if I got back in, the first thing I was going to do is try to completely redo the second unit."

Bird's return became anything but a certainty.

Walsh: "When I took the job, I knew he was coming back. Then, all of a sudden, I was getting mixed signals: He might not come back. I don't think he's going to come back.
    "I went to him a couple of times and told him you really need to come back to this team. You built it. These kids love you. You can't just walk out on them."

Bird: "I didn't think I was ever going to come back but what happened is teams started calling me. Everybody I talked to said, 'Well, don't you want to chase a championship again?'

"And I said, 'If I'm going to chase a championship it will probably be here in Indiana,' and that just stopped all the talk from that particular team. Then another one called. I have to say, I had a couple opportunities to do it the way I wanted and have full control, but it's like Donnie said, 'Bird, if you're going to do this thing, why don't you do it here?'

"One day Herbie called me and I said, 'I'm bored. Today, I'm bored.'

"He goes, 'Today I'm hiring you. I want you in here Wednesday. I think it was the end of June (the 26th) and we didn't get the contract done until then end of July, so obviously I wanted to do it.

"When I walked in here it was like I'd never left."

Bird spent no time settling in. He signed three free agents — 3-point shooter Chris Copeland, and backup and No. 3 point-guards, C.J. Watson and Donald Sloan. Bird re-signed West and traded spare parts Miles Plumlee and Gerald Green along with the Pacers' lottery-protected 2014 first-round draft pick to Phoenix for power forward Luis Scola.

Bird: "Once I took the job and got back, the first guy I wanted was C.J. Watson, but Scola's the guy. I wanted him for a couple years. I was very reluctant to trade a first-round pick but if we've got the team I think we have, that one extra guy can make a major difference."

Walsh: "You've filled every hole. This is what Larry's been building for.

"Last year, when I came in, that's the thing that was in my mind: You've got to keep this team together because Larry's built it, he's going to come back and I'm not going to let Hibbert get away from us, not going to let George Hill get away from us.

"This is the kind of team Indiana can really cheer for. These are the kind of guys people in Indiana can be proud of. They're not going to do anything stupid. They're good guys. They're pros. They have the pro mentality."

Nine years. It was a long, hard slog and that night in early 2011 when O'Brien reported to his office, Bird could see farther back than the seven losses in eight games. He could see all the progress made since 2005. Looking ahead, he could see more than the next 10-game stretch, of which Vogel, his new coach would win seven.

Bird and Walsh shared a vision and didn't deviate from it through the hard times and the harsh criticism. Perhaps they saw the dim outline of promise in future 10-game stretches, like the one beginning this season.

The Pacers won their first nine.

Email Star reporter Phil Richards at phil.richards@indystar.com and follow him on Twitter at @philrichards6.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eric1516 View Post
      Very well written article on what happened when Vogel was hired and bringing us to the point of today.

great article, thank you for posting. enjoyed the comments by DW as well. He basically got Bird back in the saddle and kept the team together Bird constructed. Awesome DW.

"It was tough. I'd go into meetings where they were trying to sell tickets. I laid out everything to my owner (Herb Simon). I laid out everything to our marketing people. I said, 'Look, I don't want to deviate from this. There are going to be times you doubt me like everybody else and I understand that. It's part of it. But stick with me."

I never doubted the LEGEND.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...the-Year-Award

"We had to change the culture. I knew our fan base was going to dwindle. Revenues weren't going to be where we wanted them at.

Bird essentially saved this Franchise from leaving Indiana imo. Can you all imagine if this team were still rebuilding and had not cracked 40 wins in almost a decade.

Fieldhouse would be a ghost town except for when the NCAA visits.

Many on PD wanted Bird run out of town. Never forget the jerk Rich Nye the sportguy blasting Bird left and right on Sunday nite sportslocker claiming he should be fired.

I hope I bump into Rich Nye "the sportsguy" like to let him know what I think of his sports reporting abilities.
      Last edited by PacersPride; 11-22-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Re: IndyStar Article on the Resurgence of the Pacers: Inside story of the Pacers turnaround!!

Like others here I was never much of an O'Brien fan, but I think it is classy of Larry to praise him and not throw him under the bus. He may be stretching the truth a bit of how he really feels, but it demonstrates a classy, stable organization.

Comment

Re: IndyStar Article on the Resurgence of the Pacers: Inside story of the Pacers turnaround!!

Originally posted by idioteque View Post
          Like others here I was never much of an O'Brien fan, but I think it is classy of Larry to praise him and not throw him under the bus. He may be stretching the truth a bit of how he really feels, but it demonstrates a classy, stable organization.
          Pretty clear from the first portion of the article that Bird got sick and tired of O'Brien's negativity.

Bird and O'Brien to this day have both been extremely classy. Bird for relying on JOB about Vogel. JOB for recommending Vogel and then JOB again for never saying anything negative about the pacers since he left the organization.

But hope we don't get off on this tangent, many other interesting issues addressed in the article.

Comment

"(I said,) 'He's going to run the team but I want to tell all you guys right now, if I hear you say anything negative, other than coaching negativity about a bad pass or a bad screen, I'm going to fire you on the spot. I don't want any of that here. We're going to look at the future. We're going to be positive about the future.' "
            The funny part is that I CAN'T SEE Frank being negative. EVER. Its just not him.
            "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman21 View Post
              The funny part is that I CAN'T SEE Frank being negative. EVER. Its just not him.
              Yes, because with Frank it is genuine, otherwise the players would see right through it and he would come across as fake. Frank would have lost the team long ago. if you watched the ESPN broadcast of the Pacers vs Knicks game you saw a prime example. Frank was miked and in the huddle after CJ missed a couple of shots badly, you could hear him tell CJ his next shot is going in. And then when the next shot did go in no one was happier than Frank

Comment

Thank you UncleBuck for posting the whole article. I couldn't figure out how to do it--only post the link.

Comment

The front office exulted. The fans boiled. Hibbert was not only raw, he lacked the most fundamental of basketball skills. He couldn't run.
                  As in they were angry? Not me! I was excited about getting TJ Ford, a young center, and fill in center in Rasho.
                  "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Comment

Originally posted by rock747 View Post
                    As in they were angry? Not me! I was excited about getting TJ Ford, a young center, and fill in center in Rasho.
                    where the heck is ole rasto nesto vich... we need a third big!!

dumb question and the article never addressed it which is complete rubbish.

what about Stinko Stipulavich. is that guy ready yet??

Comment

Originally posted by rock747 View Post
                      Yeah, I don't remember the fans being upset about getting Hibbert. I was a little leery because I didn't want a big stiff, and even a couple of years into his career I wasn't thrilled by him, except I kept the faith because of his work ethic.

An unrelated topic: I just wonder how you can quantify what David West has brought to the team. just the fact that he picked us over the Celtics is huge, who knows how much that lifted the spirits of the other guys.

Another unrelated topic - Yes Frank is positive and that is all well and good. But he has instilled a lot of discipline into this team. Watching their defense is a work of art, the commitment to each other, the trust amongst the players and the discipline to play tough defense almost all the time is remarkable and to me a sign of a great coach, a sign of a team that is exceedingly well coached.
                      Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-22-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

This quote from the article from Bird:

"One day Herbie called me and I said, 'I'm bored. Today, I'm bored.'
                        made me laugh. When it comes to a laid-back person like Bird that has always been involved in basketball ( in some capacity ) to say something like that....it just strikes me as oddly funny.
                        Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

About the Copeland signing, there's a part of me that trusts Bird when it came to signing him. I know that Vogel has said that he's a Backup 4.....but I wonder if Bird looked at him this way as well when he decided to go after him. Specifically, does Bird look at him as a Backup PF that can stretch the floor or as a pure 3pt Shooting Role Player that can fill the Backup SF position?

Despite what some here on PD may think of what Copeland can do ( or more specifically what he can't do )....I am of the opinion that if Bird targets specific Players to go after, then he does so for a good reason. So, like always..."In Bird we trust".

Unfortunately, there's the reaslistic side of me that knows that Copeland is the only Player on this roster that I deem expendable to help clear Capspace to re-sign Lance next season WITHOUT going over the LT.

Comment

Do you see what I see between the lines here?

Bird didn't want any more of O'Brien's negativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Galen View Post
                              Do you see what I see between the lines here?

Bird didn't want any more of O'Brien's negativity.
                              Yep. I can see comments like the McBob "Irrelevant" comment bother Bird.

Comment

Working...
                              X