View Poll Results: Do you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone and was the lone gunman, in shooting JFK?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 45.45%
  • no

1 9.09%
  • He was the only shooter, but it was not a solo effort

5 45.45%

Thread: simple question: Do you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone and was the lone gunman, in shooting JFK?

Default simple question: Do you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone and was the lone gunman, in shooting JFK?

there is another thread somewhere discussing theories, but this is meant as a simple gauge of how people view what happened 50 years ago
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: simple question: Do you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone and was the lone gunman, in shooting JFK?

the only external driving force that ever made sense to me was Cuba, since we had tried to kill Castro many times, two months before Castro had threatened to do the same, and Oswald was openly pro-Castro. But that last part would likely have made Cubans who wanted to kill JFK a little worried, because the trail would be too obvious.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: simple question: Do you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone and was the lone gunman, in shooting JFK?

It's been years since I intensely read and watched stuff about the assassination, but I'm inclined to think that Oswald did it alone. That being said, I'm certainly open to conspiracy theories and it's certainly interesting to speculate.

BTW, where is Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorist in-chief Olblu when you really need him? I wonder if the smell of motor home fumes is infiltrating the Dallas air today?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW, where is Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorist in-chief Olblu when you really need him? I wonder if the smell of motor home fumes is infiltrating the Dallas air today?
    More like Oliver Stone conspiracy movie buff in-chief.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

yes, I believe he did it alone.

I hadn't seen the theory that the 3rd shot was actually an accidental firing of a secret service rifle until this evening. It would be a weird, chance happening but it also would explain some things.

It would mean Oswald didn't have to get off the nearly impossible 3rd shot (as far as timing goes), yet it be the best shot of the 3. It would explain the entrance wound allegedly being 6mm in the bone when Oswald's bullet is 6.5mm. The magic bullet has been explained fairly well as not being all that magic, but then arguably why did the 3rd bullet not react the same way instead of exploding in Kennedy's head? But according to this theory the ammo in the secret service rifle would not only explode in that way but also leave a 6mm entrance hole.

Apparently the agent and the rifle's presence is not in dispute.

Of course, it would be a mighty unlucky accident for an errantly fired rifle to hit the man being guarded and who had already been shot. Plus, it would've happened from another car in the motorcade so hard to believe there would be no witnesses. Although supposedly there are several people who claimed to have smelled gunpowder which would be hard to explain if they really smelled gunpowder. And you could argue that since the rifle was hidden from view until after the first shot allegedly by Oswald was fired then all eyes might've either been on the source of the gunfire, it's target, or seeking cover. I don't recall any random witnesses in any of the reports seeing the agent draw the rifle yet it's in the Warren Report that he did.

I'm sure like most of the theories this one has holes too. But this one would explain some of the known parts of the coverup and under the rug sweeping that took place. And this one is fairly simple and doesn't take a whole host of connections and speculation to pull it together. If something like that really did happen, do we really think the government would admit it if it didn't have to via film/video evidence?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Remember that the "lone nut theory" is really the "two lone nuts theory": Oswald shooting Kennedy on his own and then Ruby shooting Oswald on his own.

Even the most fierce lone gunman advocate has to admit that Ruby shooting Oswald is at the very least suspicious. I suppose all it takes is one delusional guy who thinks that they are going to play the "hero" by taking out the hated assassin, but it's still suspicious. It understandably has helped fuel conspiracy theories for 50 years.

I realize that 1963 was a long time ago, but it's not as if it was the stone age. Why in the hell was some clown off the street able to infiltrate police headquarters and walk right up to Oswald completely untouched? That lack of security is so pathetic that it almost seems as though there was someone on the inside who deliberately allowed it to happen.

I think Oswald shot Kennedy, but the whole Ruby shooting Oswald thing has always been pretty hard to understand. Though I suppose that if someone is nutty enough to want to kill the President, then it's not too far fetched to to think that someone could be nutty enough to want to take out the assassin on their own. It's still suspicious though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Was Ruby even a Kennedy supporter?

BTW... I was thinking that there were sealed records scheduled to be unsealed at the 50 year mark... Is that not correct?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned
    Mood

Knowing the crowd Oswald hung around with, I find it highly unlikely he conspired alone.

Last week I was on a road trip and stopped at Dealey Plaza and the Texas School Book Depository Museum. It is a must see for anyone passing through the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex. The Sixth Floor Museum is excellent. An audio tour guides you throughout the museum. You start by getting a broad and balanced education on Jack Kennedy's Presidency. Then you get a background on his trip to Texas before finally getting educated on the assassination itself. The "sniper's nest" window is glassed off and is made to look like it would have in 1963 when Oswald (allegedly) stacked the boxes to make the sniper's nest. Therefore, you cannot stand right at that particular window. However, the entire 7th floor of the building (one floor above where Oswald was) is completely open and unobstructed. You can look out of the window exactly one floor above where Oswald allegedly was.

After visiting the site, I really do think that Oswald did it alone. The distance between the Texas School Book Depository and where the shots hit Kennedy does not look that far at all in person. It would not have been painfully difficult for an experienced shooter like Oswald to get lucky and hit the target. This video with the computer modeling is particularly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Lf749K5U#t=504

Now it's true that anyone with skill on either side of the debate could produce a convincing computer model that supports their theory. That being said, no one can deny what is on the Zapruder Film itself. As the computer modeler points out in the video, Kennedy and Connolly both react at the exact same time. Also, how could the bullet have hit Kennedy and not have hit Connolly, who was right in front of him?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-31-2014 at 08:43 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Earlier this summer I saw a cable TV special that covered the last 48 hours of Oswald's life. It was pretty fascinating.

On the Jack Ruby angle, Ruby is seen in the hallways at the police station not just on the occasion of Oswald's transfer when he shot him, but on multiple other occasions when Oswald was being moved for questioning and at police press conferences. Ruby had a police scanner and was a police-nut, but he also must have had a friend or friends within the police force to let him know things like when Oswald would be taken down to a lineup and other little things like that where you see Ruby clearly standing there. Maybe Ruby was armed on those other occasions and chickened out or thought he couldn't get in a point-blank shot?

It's hard to know what to make of it though. It makes Ruby seem like more of a nutjob, but it also fits with the idea that he had been given a job to do and was looking for the best time to do it.

The main thing that makes me think Ruby was just a nut was that Oswald's transfer was delayed for quite awhile (an hour or two? I forget). Ruby was not there, or anywhere around, at the time the transfer was supposed to occur. Ruby was at home then, and he was later placed at a bank, waiting in a long line for a teller and then making a withdrawal. He was planning on dropping off cash to one of his employees (a dancer at his nightclub) who had called him that morning and asked for money to pay the rent or something (they had a statement from her, IIRC). Supposedly the bank was on the same block as the police station.

Ruby walked to his car parked on the street between the bank and the station, saw a large crowd of people forming outside the police station, then he went inside by going down through a car ramp exit where a security guard was supposed to be but was taking a break, and then he shot Oswald. If it were Ruby's job to shoot Oswald that day to keep him quiet, I think that he would have been hanging around there the whole time and not waiting in line for a bank teller.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-31-2014 at 08:38 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

It's amazing how sloppy the Dallas police were with Oswald. It's not as if 1963 was the stone ages. It seems as if they would have had a little more common sense. Why did they allow Oswald to essentially hold a press conference after being arrested? That was ridiculous. Also, the fact that their security was so lax that random people off of the street could walk right up while a Presidential assassin was being transferred is just inexcusable. Makes it seem like there was someone on the inside who turned the other way for Ruby.

Boggles my mind that killing the President was not a federal crime in 1963. We had already had three Presidents assassinated by that point. It's nuts that we didn't have the foresight that it could happen again. You had the amateur Dallas police handling it instead of the Feds.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was a different time guys. Nobody gave a thought to assassination as I recall. (I was a sophmore in HS at the time and saw Kennedy's grave before grass had had a chance to take root, in fact, they lit the eternal flame shortly before I arrived there. I can tell you too that JFK was as much loved by America's youth then as Obama is today (or was 3 years ago anyway).

I never bought the lone gunman and I never bought the Jack Ruby crazies story, especially after he died of "cancer" what seems like a very short time later.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..