Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

  1. #51
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,241

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you referring to his complaining about how the fans weren't supporting the team last year? If so, he was 1000% right! If anyone holds a grudge against him for that, that person isn't a Pacer fan or isn't very smart.
    No, I am not referring to that. If I must:

    The "Everyone knows Indianapolis is a hating city, especially those trying to make it out." comment:
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...N01/112280304/

    The "Twitter rant ripping on Indy":
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ndy-on-twitter

    But that is hardly the main issue. The main issue is that he didn't go to a big name Indiana school...also the fact he became a backup on a team over 1000 miles away. If he had gone to IU like Eric Gordon or Damon Bailey, he would have been worshiped in this state. End of story. Even if he had gone to Purdue (Brad Miller) or OSU (Oden), he would have garnered more attention and had more fan support.

    Heck, if he had gone to Butler he would be revered. But he went to IUPUI which is nothing but a large commuter school in downtown Indy...that plays second fiddle to IU and Purdue. Sure, it provides a fine education. Not quite as demanding as Purdue, but good. But the masses simply don't follow the Jags and nobody in the nation knows about them.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Elite defensive point guard... since when???
    Maybe it's because they see things you don't.
    but his ability to use his preposterously long arms, surprisingly quick feet, and acute knowledge of angles to direct ball handlers exactly where the Pacers want them to go is subtly important to the schematic success of Frank Vogelís system.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Your Daddy RobRoy317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    21
    Posts
    128

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    I mean, it seems pretty obvious to me why he's least loved. People love PG because he's MVP caliber. People think Lance is either good or just funny to watch trot and hop up and down the court. David is a badass. Roy could be DPoY. Granger has been here for a long time, and is probably the only person someone who is just now jumping on the bandwagon can identify other than George. George Hill doesn't put up huge numbers offensively, which is what most people think the game is all about - dunks and three's. So........that would be why. Maybe if they're in need of a backpack they will like him more.
    Last edited by RobRoy317; 11-25-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

  5. #54
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,241

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    FWIW, my wife is the typical casual fan. Follows the Colts religiously, but knows the Pacer players and watches some.

    Anyway, there was some blurb about hometown hero on the broadcast...and she asked who that was. I said "must have been George Hill". She says "George Hill is from here?" I am sure that many casual fans don't know him or that he's from Indianapolis which explains why he's not that terribly popular with the masses.

    Again, didn't go to IU...and left the state to play as a backup in the western conference. How he is treated shouldn't be a surprise. People like him but not all know his past or that he was born and raised down the road from BLF.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  7. #55

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    I've always been a fan of "true" point guards, and Hill isn't one of them.

    That said, we use West at the high post and Lance to initiate much of the offense. So we do okay with Hill's limited playmaking.

    I do appreciate Hill for making few mistakes and playing a solid all around game. He's not the sort of gas can we've had at point for years. He's long for a point and athletic, and does some good stuff that isn't noticed much. On long 50/50 rebounds, he always seems to cut across behind the bigs to snare it.

  8. #56
    Priviledged Member SamBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Posts
    851

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude has ice water in his veins. His buzzer beater against the Lakers last year was one of my favorite moments from last season.





    One thing I noticed about Hill, he never screws up. He never does anything too great or flashy to get that on-court recognition (except for his clutch plays), but he also never does anything terribly wrong. Most of our players will do something that gets a "what the hell are you doing??" reaction from me at least once or twice a game. I've noticed I rarely catch myself saying that about Hill.

    He has the Spurs mentality that's why.
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

    1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19


    4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

  9. #57

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FWIW, my wife is the typical casual fan. Follows the Colts religiously, but knows the Pacer players and watches some.

    Anyway, there was some blurb about hometown hero on the broadcast...and she asked who that was. I said "must have been George Hill". She says "George Hill is from here?" I am sure that many casual fans don't know him or that he's from Indianapolis which explains why he's not that terribly popular with the masses.

    Again, didn't go to IU...and left the state to play as a backup in the western conference. How he is treated shouldn't be a surprise. People like him but not all know his past or that he was born and raised down the road from BLF.
    The "hometown hero" thing is really, REALLY overrated. Nobody cared about McBob being a Pacer because he's from Carmel, ZBo, Lee, Moore, Conley, Oden, either Teague, Hummel, not a single one of those guys is viewed as anything but some dude that plays in the NBA by the vast majority.

    Hayward got some cheers from the Butler bandwagoners but seems like that died off quickly, nobody's hyping him up anymore. But we saw the cheers Oladipo got, which is fine, no qualms with that other than the hicks that've never seen a classroom on either campus that booed Moore. It's an IU state, through and through. And the farther out they get from their college "career" the supporters keep dwindling, ask Eric Gordon. ****, ask Zeke, dude's an all time great and nobody wants to claim him.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  11. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "hometown hero" thing is really, REALLY overrated. Nobody cared about McBob being a Pacer because he's from Carmel, ZBo, Lee, Moore, Conley, Oden, either Teague, Hummel, not a single one of those guys is viewed as anything but some dude that plays in the NBA by the vast majority.

    Hayward got some cheers from the Butler bandwagoners but seems like that died off quickly, nobody's hyping him up anymore. But we saw the cheers Oladipo got, which is fine, no qualms with that other than the hicks that've never seen a classroom on either campus that booed Moore. It's an IU state, through and through. And the farther out they get from their college "career" the supporters keep dwindling, ask Eric Gordon. ****, ask Zeke, dude's an all time great and nobody wants to claim him.
    I disagree on Oden. If he was actually able to stay healthy enough to play people would have cared more because of all of the hype he got. The others though I agree, people care more about college graduates than high school.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  13. #59
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care where a player is from. If they can play I don't care if they are from the moon
    Pass... You thought things were bad after the Brawl?? Well the PR nightmare would be endless with a bunch of Mooners...

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:


  15. #60
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,241

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree on Oden. If he was actually able to stay healthy enough to play people would have cared more because of all of the hype he got. The others though I agree, people care more about college graduates than high school.
    Yes, I agree there are some exceptions. Another one is Larry Bird.

    But normally, you have to star at IU to get the love. Of course, that love isn't coming from a lot of us around here...

  16. #61
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,140
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    Not that he was a star player or anything, but I expect Brad Stevens to get quite an ovation when he comes back to Indy.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  18. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

    He's kind of bland, both on and off the court. Compare George to our other four starters:

    Paul George needs no explanation. He's our franchise player, and might be the best player to ever don a Pacers uniform, at least in the NBA.

    Roy is the cornerstone of our elite defense, and has a ton of charisma off the court.

    Lance has huge on-court charisma. He's flashy, plays with a ton of energy, and seemingly still has a lot of intriguing upside. He's good, and could one day be great. People are drawn to him.

    David West is a multi-time All-Star, and has used his experience and maturity to become the unofficial leader of the team.

    George Hill is... just there. He's a solid, but unspectacular, player. He's not a superstar like Paul. He's not flashy and doesn't possess huge upside like Lance. He's not as important as Roy, and certainly doesn't possess Roy's off-the-court charisma. He's just a remarkably unremarkable basketball player and personality.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •