Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why is Indy's own the least loved Pacer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude has ice water in his veins. His buzzer beater against the Lakers last year was one of my favorite moments from last season.

One thing I noticed about Hill, he never screws up. He never does anything too great or flashy to get that on-court recognition (except for his clutch plays), but he also never does anything terribly wrong. Most of our players will do something that gets a "what the hell are you doing??" reaction from me at least once or twice a game. I've noticed I rarely catch myself saying that about Hill.
    I was at that game, almost got killed when he hit that shot for going so nuts!

This is my favorite George Hill moment, though. If only Chuck 'Ems didn't have to go and ruin this right after...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    It is a poorly kept secret that Hill didn't want to come back to Indy. Not that I can really blame him - I am sure he knows a lot of people here that are trying to hound him, ask him constantly for tickets and money. There are a lot of distractions moving back home. Plus if you're 23 or whatever he was when he got traded here and have seen a lot of different things and people, you may not be really excited about moving back home under any circumstances.

I thought Hill would subtly tell us not to re-sign him when he was an FA. However, I think he struck up an unexpectedly (from his perspective) good friendship with Paul George and gelled with the rest of the team. He also bought a place in a gated community in Geist that probably gives him the privacy he wants. So, he has probably warmed on Indy in the last couple of years and is content here. But, Hill doesn't really have the personality of an outgoing guy under any circumstances, so he's not going to put himself out there expressing love for the city just for the sake of it. He's just a quiet guy and flys under the radar a bit. I love his game though and hope he's in blue and gold for a long time.
    I think that stuff was blown out of proportion some. I don't think it was that he didn't want to be here as much as he just really loved it down in San Antonio.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

George Hill is our George Harrison huh?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

http://youtu.be/DPXGCEXRB9s?t=7m12s

Yeah, George is obviously the least loved Pacer......
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Many Pacers fans I talk to in real life aren't too big on Hill, but this site/thread seems to have quite a different view.

I've read "elite" and "very good" and "ice in his veins". Sorry, he's way overrated if we're assigning him this kind of praise. I actually think he's the least "clutch" scorer on the team. All those free throws he missed at MSG the other night took me back to last year when he missed key free throws in tight games time and time again.

He's just ok defensively, and in the few games he missed last year we never seemed to skip a beat. And if it wasn't for the collective disappearance of our backcourt last year in the ECF, we'd probably had played in the Finals.

It astonishes me if anyone sees him as untouchable or a long-term lock at PG.

See everyone! The thread was warranted, and my argument is based in reality. As I've said, underappreciated, least loved Pacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    Many Pacers fans I talk to in real life aren't too big on Hill, but this site/thread seems to have quite a different view.

I've read "elite" and "very good" and "ice in his veins". Sorry, he's way overrated if we're assigning him this kind of praise. I actually think he's the least "clutch" scorer on the team. All those free throws he missed at MSG the other night took me back to last year when he missed key free throws in tight games time and time again.

He's just ok defensively, and in the few games he missed last year we never seemed to skip a beat. And if it wasn't for the collective disappearance of our backcourt last year in the ECF, we'd probably had played in the Finals.

Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo

Can I borrow your pom poms?

Can I borrow your pom poms?
    No.

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    See everyone! The thread was warranted, and my argument is based in reality. As I've said, underappreciated, least loved Pacer.
    Really? Based on the response of one person?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Really? Based on the response of one person?
    Beat me to it...Praise, praise, praise, praise...booo, see I told you so.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I love having him as our starting PG. I think he is perfect for our starters (especially with Lance) on both sides of the ball.

This post pretty much became false once "least clutch" starter was written. Hill has missed a few key FT's, but he's hit a number of game winners, and big daggers (including against NY on Wednesday)

Also, did you not watch the game Hill missed during the NY series? It's not a coincidence we got our asses handed to us. It's also not a coincidence that we went from being a decent defensive team to being an elite defensive team once he became our starter. One on one idk if you'd wanna classify him as a shut down Guard, but he is certainly pretty good--and great for our defensive system that limits open 3s.

And lastly, he averaged the least amount of turnovers among our starters against Miami. He scored fairly effectively, esp for the 4th offensive option.

But yea aside from all that this post was spot on

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Nevermind then. I was wrong.

Read it and weep:

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were talking about TJ Ford or Darren Collison. I think you're undervaluing him just a little bit in this post. He's not the best, but he's solid, and given our financial situation and play style, I'm more than content with him.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Sports Logo

I think that mattie's view is getting a bit skewed by one or two guys who constantly say "we need a pure point guard" and "we should trade Hill" in almost every game thread this season.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Default Re: .

I've run into folks in the community that say they absolutely love George Hill.
    He is well known in some circles around town for his charity, benevolence, and
    for having a huge heart.

He might be the "least" loved in the mind of whoever wrote that story, but in
    truth it depends on who you ask.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

George Hill doesn't care about backpack people.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Nevermind then. I was wrong.
    Honestly I think there's really only two or three guys that dog on George Hill on here.

Let's put it this way: vnzla liked having George Hill as our PG.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Ya know who I bet doesn't give a damn about where he ranks amongst fans in likability? George Hill, he's got about 8,000,000 reasons this year that I'm sure are a pretty good consolation prize for only being the 3rd or 4th most liked Pacer player on the team. I don't really understand threads like this that pop up ever so often defending player X and we're all big mean jerks for not liking them all equally as much, cause as you know NBA players are all delicate flowers and we need to be super super nice to them.
    Last edited by TheDon; 11-22-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This post pretty much became false once "least clutch" starter was written. Hill has missed a few key FT's, but he's hit a number of game winners, and big daggers (including against NY on Wednesday)

Also, did you not watch the game Hill missed during the NY series? It's not a coincidence we got our asses handed to us. It's also not a coincidence that we went from being a decent defensive team to being an elite defensive team once he became our starter. One on one idk if you'd wanna classify him as a shut down Guard, but he is certainly pretty good--and great for our defensive system that limits open 3s.

And lastly, he averaged the least amount of turnovers among our starters against Miami. He scored fairly effectively, esp for the 4th offensive option.

But yea aside from all that this post was spot on
    That Knicks game last year should never be overlooked. Without Hill we would not have won that series.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Players come and go. I have been a Pacer fan for so long that I don't really have an emotional connection to any player besides Reggie Miller. As long as a player is wearing a Pacer jersey, I will support the hell out of them. There will come a time where George Hill will be wearing a different jersey, and I will have no choice but to view him as the enemy and root against him
    David "And One" West

Nothing wrong with liking individual players on the Pacers more than others, but I wouldn't get upset when other fans choose to like different Pacers. NBA is a business and players come and go
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

Also, did you not watch the game Hill missed during the NY series? It's not a coincidence we got our asses handed to us.
    As long as we remember Game 1 vs Miami that we lost by one measly point with Hill shooting 2 for 9 in 45 minutes.

I've just never seen this team skip much of a beat when Hill doesn't play. In fact, in this calendar year we've been 6-2 when he doesn't play, and even one of those losses was in last season's throw-away regular season finale (so really 6-1).

I remember this team looking out of sync when Hibbert missed the Clippers game last year. I'm sure we'd struggle with Paul George out, too. But George Hill? He's nothing special. That's not to say he's terrible, either. I'm just saying he's not "elite" or "outstanding" or whatever other euphemistic adjectives I've seen here.

For a guy who the team doesn't seem to miss a beat when they are out, I sure seem to remember a LOT people ******** their pants when he missed game 5 against New York and season-ending injury talk was being passed around......
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: