Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy advice thread

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Fantasy advice thread

I know that a lot of people here play fantasy football. Thus, I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread for start em/sit em advice since we are entering the final stretch of the season with the playoffs looming.

I'll start:

0.5 PPR

I have 1 WR spot and a Flex spot (WR/RB/TE) that needs filled:

Pick two of: Roddy White (WR), Harry Douglass (WR), Jarret Boykin (WR), Shane Vereen (RB).

Tony Gonzalez is my TE and is an obvious must start for me. So if I started Roddy White and Harry Douglass, that would mean I'm starting three players from a 2-8 Falcons team. But I did start all three of them last week and they combined for quite a few points. I kind of want to start White, and Harry Douglass has reached the point where he is kind of hard to sit. The Falcons host New Orleans on Thursday.

Jarret Boykin has actually remained pretty good without Rodgers, but I'm still kind of hesitant to start someone playing with a third stringer. Home against Minnesota isn't a bad match-up though.

Shane Vereen looked very solid in his first game back on Monday. He should continue to get plenty of looks in that offense against Denver on Sunday Night.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Default Re: Fantasy advice thread

Any advice I'd give would lead to a player getting injured for you. It's been one of those kinda seasons for me. Byes and injuries have just killed me. My team hasn't scored badly either but it seems I just can't catch a break. Inconsistency that comes with byes and injuries got me. I've had several players injured over the course of the season. Most to season ending injuries. Even my waiver wire guys have ended up injured. I lost a game I really needed last weekend, and I still had a prayer until Thomas twisted his knee. So my only playoff hope is to win these last two and hope I score big and our league's 2nd place team loses AND slumps in scoring. Because he owns the 1st tiebreaker (PF). Unfortunately it's not head to head because I play him this week and have already beaten him once. But he's got the highest scoring team in the league. Sadly, I own the tiebreaker against the 1st place team in our league but no way to catch him.

From championship last year to down and out and crying this year....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Ended up starting Douglas last night, but thankfully I didn't start White. Now I just have to decide between Vereen and Boykin on Sunday.

Hopefully Orange Julius plays this week, Bball. I wish I would have gotten my hands on that guy this season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I had Roddy White to start the season... and finally benched him awaiting better news about his health. And finally dropped him when a spot on the roster became more important.

I have Megatron and even he has missed a game and was hobbled at one point. I picked up Mike James on the waiver wire and had high hopes for him after he acquired the lead role spot only to see him bust out a 41 yard run (was it his first touch of the game too?) and then go down for the season. I have Sproles and he's been inconsistent and knocked from a game or two. I had the back from NE and IIRC he went down in the first or second game of the season. It's just a laundry list of injuries that has really cost me.

I've plugged along and still managed some decent scoring but to add insult to injury (pardon the pun) I have one of the highest 'points against' of anyone in our league. So I'm getting everyone's 'A' game. I mean the league's lone winless, low scoring, team managed to tie me when we played with one of his best offensive outputs of the season.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I "bought low" on Roddy a couple of weeks ago when he came back from injury because I was hoping that he would be a target monster down the stretch. Now I'm starting to think that my buying low is still too expensive. This guy just looks completely done at the age of 31. Maybe he can completely heal this off-season and come back better next year, but this has been a drastic downfall this season.

Over the course of this season, I have managed to own Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, and Roddy White. The Julio injury was tragic. Douglas has been a very pleasant waiver wire fill in. I traded for Tony G and Roddy for pretty cheap prices. Still, I don't know what my infatuation is with a 2-9 Falcons team.

I gotta get an elite TE next year. It gives you an advantage. Tired of looking at Gonzalez's dud games.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I set our league up so you don't have to have a TE... you can use a WR. TE/WR.
    A few years back it just seemed there were a couple of fantasy TE wunderkinds and then duds. It just didn't seem fair to for a couple of teams in our league to have regular 15-20+ point games at the TE position when the majority of the league was stuck with 0 to 8 per game at best. With the majority of the time being a closer to zero than eight. It wasn't like the high scorers would do it a couple of times per season. They were almost like clockwork... game in... game out. Meanwhile the rest of the league had no option but to lose the battle at that position because draft position and a limited pool dealt them a sour hand.

And no, I didn't come to that conclusion after having a dud tight end. I had Dallas Clark and he was tearing it up all season. Nobody could really counter that in the league. Maybe AG that year. Yeah, there's a counter argument about drafting to be made here. But OTOH, there just seemed to be enough decent performers at every other position that you could find potential scorers to plug in. But TE was the one position where you either had a scorer... or you had a weakness on your team. And nothing to do about it... except gamble and chase points with the waiver wire and matchups and a revolving door at that position. And even that is limiting. It just didn't seem fair and having Dallas nearly always winning that matchup just kind of drove it home.

The way it is now if the potential 'consistent' high scoring TE's are gone when you pick you can always choose a receiver instead and try and balance out your potential scoring at that position versus the other guy that way.

A change I need to make in scoring is to start scoring yardage in tenths. Right now, if a guy gets 9 yards in kick returns... 9 yards in receptions... and 9 yards in carries... That is a big 'ol goose egg in our league. That just doesn't seem right. We've had several ties this year and this would lessen the chance of a tie (at least it seems it would).
    Last edited by Bball; 11-23-2013 at 02:50 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I set our league up so you don't have to have a TE... you can use a WR. TE/WR.
    A few years back it just seemed there were a couple of fantasy TE wunderkinds and then duds. It just didn't seem fair to for a couple of teams in our league to have regular 15-20+ point games at the TE position when the majority of the league was stuck with 0 to 8 per game at best. With the majority of the time being a closer to zero than eight. It wasn't like the high scorers would do it a couple of times per season. They were almost like clockwork... game in... game out. Meanwhile the rest of the league had no option but to lose the battle at that position because draft position and a limited pool dealt them a sour hand.

And no, I didn't come to that conclusion after having a dud tight end. I had Dallas Clark and he was tearing it up all season. Nobody could really counter that in the league. Maybe AG that year. Yeah, there's a counter argument about drafting to be made here. But OTOH, there just seemed to be enough decent performers at every other position that you could find potential scorers to plug in. But TE was the one position where you either had a scorer... or you had a weakness on your team. And nothing to do about it... except gamble and chase points with the waiver wire and matchups and a revolving door at that position. And even that is limiting. It just didn't seem fair and having Dallas nearly always winning that matchup just kind of drove it home.

The way it is now if the potential 'consistent' high scoring TE's are gone when you pick you can always choose a receiver instead and try and balance out your potential scoring at that position versus the other guy that way.

A change I need to make in scoring is to start scoring yardage in tenths. Right now, if a guy gets 9 yards in kick returns... 9 yards in receptions... and 9 yards in carries... That is a big 'ol goose egg in our league. That just doesn't seem right. We've had several ties this year and this would lessen the chance of a tie (at least it seems it would).

Yes, I highly recommend doing scoring in tenths. It makes ties virtually impossible. Also, something like a 9 yard reception should be scored in some way shape or form.

Agreed about TE. Tony Gonzalez has thrown up a ton of dud games this season, yet he is still the #5 TE in total points scored this season (0.5 PPR). It really thins out of after Graham/Gronk/Julius Thomas.

In our league, you get to keep one player every season. I know that Graham will be kept, but I'm hoping that I can get my hands on either Gronk or Julius next season. I had Gronk the prior two seasons and wish that I would have gambled on him this season. Having that elite TE gives you such a big advantage.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I need one of the three as my second WR. Brown usually starts, but will be on him all day. I thought about Floyd as Roller is hurt and that means Davis is on Fitz. So I can foresee Floyd having a big game today.

Antonio Brown vs Cleveland
    Michael Floyd vs Indianapolis
    Dwayne Bowe vs San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I need one of the three as my second WR. Brown usually starts, but will be on him all day. I thought about Floyd as Roller is hurt and that means Davis is on Fitz. So I can foresee Floyd having a big game today.

Antonio Brown vs Cleveland
    Michael Floyd vs Indianapolis
    Dwayne Bowe vs San Diego

Sorry I missed this before it was too late. Who did you end up going with?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Sorry I missed this before it was too late. Who did you end up going with?
    I ended up going with Floyd.

Clinched the number 1 seed and a first round bye for the second straight year. I've still yet to win a playoff game in my league though. If it doesn't happen for me this year, then I don't think it ever will.

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs. Hopefully this thread can be a good source for start/sit em advice.

Let me add one more injury to my tale of woe.... Aaron Rodgers....
    No, I didn't have Rodgers on my team. But I had Jordy Nelson. He really fell off without Rodgers throwing to him.

I won't be defending my league championship this year. Not from the consolation bracket!

------

-John Wooden

Let me add one more injury to my tale of woe.... Aaron Rodgers....
    No, I didn't have Rodgers on my team. But I had Jordy Nelson. He really fell off without Rodgers throwing to him.

I won't be defending my league championship this year. Not from the consolation bracket!

A guy in my league drafted Aaron Rodgers AND Randall Cobb (got injured mid October). Definitely not what he had in mind when he drafted that duo.

Should I bench Luck for Cutler (assuming Cutler is a healthy active)? Every point matters this week as my playoff opponent has awsome match-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Should I bench Luck for Cutler (assuming Cutler is a healthy active)? Every point matters this week as my playoff opponent has awsome match-ups.
    Yeah, probably. Even if not 100%, Cutler has way better weapons than Luck right now. Is his backup McCown available in your league? If so, pick him up and start whichever of those two guys start. McCown has been pretty hot lately.

I don't see how you can trust Luck if you have a better option. Of course, he will probably explode this week since everyone thinks the Colts will struggle badly in Cincy. I doubt it though.

I'm giving up on trusting Luck and scouring the waiver wire for a QB. I think I'd go with Cutler if I had that option.

Luck has been one of my fantasy downfalls this season. With all the injury issues I've had I really need more out of the QB position. Anything is possible, and if the Colts are to win then Luck will probably have some big numbers.... but chalking up a Colts win isn't my first thought for this weekend either.

I drafted Luck with the idea we'd be doing a lot of short, quick passes... screens... slants.... 'long handoffs'.... And then the occasional bomb when the short stuff and the running game softened the defense up. And that was when I thought we'd have a full roster and not be decimated by injuries. Now that those type of things would seem to be our best, last gasp options, that's still not what we're doing....

Sit Luck.

------

-John Wooden

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I really am not asking for advice on this post, but I just need to vent. This is why fantasy football can be so frustrating. In my main league I am the leading scorer in the entire league by almost 100 points. I have 1,326.54 points, but yet my opponents have scored 1,379.40 which is also the most in the league. So my team is scoring a ton of points, but every week my opponent basically has their best week of the season. I am sitting at 6-7 and there is very little I can do other than hope my team goes in the tank so I can better improve my draft position for next season.

Last week I score the third most points in the league, but play a guy who has Eric Decker and Josh Gordon.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I really am not asking for advice on this post, but I just need to vent. This is why fantasy football can be so frustrating. In my main league I am the leading scorer in the entire league by almost 100 points. I have 1,326.54 points, but yet my opponents have scored 1,379.40 which is also the most in the league. So my team is scoring a ton of points, but every week my opponent basically has their best week of the season. I am sitting at 6-7 and there is very little I can do other than hope my team goes in the tank so I can better improve my draft position for next season.

Last week I score the third most points in the league, but play a guy who has Eric Decker and Josh Gordon.

Yeah, that's pretty bad luck. Sorry to hear about it. Fantasy Football is a cruel game, but I think that's what makes me come back to it every year.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definately leaning towards Cutler unless there is some indecision on his status. He has a great match-up but by playing on Monday night it brings some real risk into the equation.

Luck is currently the 8th ranked QB in my league which I could live with but the trend and the match-up is bad. Like him next at home week though so hoping I can get through to next round.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definately leaning towards Cutler unless there is some indecision on his status. He has a great match-up but by playing on Monday night it brings some real risk into the equation.

Luck is currently the 8th ranked QB in my league which I could live with but the trend and the match-up is bad. Like him next at home week though so hoping I can get through to next round.

Is McCown owned in your league? I'd definitely pick him up if he is available. Cutler's status is still very much up in the air.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-05-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Is McCown owned in your league? I'd definitely pick him up if he is available. Cutler's status is still very much up in the air.
    Ended up adding Alex Smith. My league doesn't allow for three QB's and cuts off drop/adds at gametime of week 14 (playoffs). I also needed to have someone as an option for Luck's bad match-up on the road with the Chiefs in week 16.

Ended up adding Alex Smith. My league doesn't allow for three QB's and cuts off drop/adds at gametime of week 14 (playoffs). I also needed to have someone as an option for Luck's bad match-up on the road with the Chiefs in week 16.

I think that's a pretty solid choice. He's had three straight weeks of excellent fantasy production, and I'd say he has a pretty good chance of continuing that against the Redskins. I would play him over Luck this week and never look back.

These are always kind of interesting to look at when deciding between a player. It's a tally of all of the "expert" rankings. The "experts" favor Smith over Luck by an 89% to 11% margin:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start...ndrew-luck.php

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think that's a pretty solid choice. He's had three straight weeks of excellent fantasy production, and I'd say he has a pretty good chance of continuing that against the Redskins. I would play him over Luck this week and never look back.

These are always kind of interesting to look at when deciding between a player. It's a tally of all of the "expert" rankings. The "experts" favor Smith over Luck by an 89% to 11% margin:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start...ndrew-luck.php
    Thanks for the link. Used it to look at Zac Stacy vs Gio Bernard for my 2nd RB & Crabtree vs. Steve Johnson for my 3rd WR

Our league has the Team QB option enabled. So for example if you'd have Indy and they decide to start Hasselback over Luck for some reason, you aren't totally screwed because you have the TEAM QB, not a specific player. It also works in case your QB is knocked out of the game because you automatically now get the backup's points. Or if it's a blowout and your starter goes to the bench, you still get points from the replacement. It's also good for when you like a team's matchup and don't care which QB they'd decide to play (think about a Philly type situation)... You don't have to gamble and then find out they decided to go the other direction. It won't matter since you're scored by team QB points.

------

-John Wooden

Our league has the Team QB option enabled. So for example if you'd have Indy and they decide to start Hasselback over Luck for some reason, you aren't totally screwed because you have the TEAM QB, not a specific player. It also works in case your QB is knocked out of the game because you automatically now get the backup's points. Or if it's a blowout and your starter goes to the bench, you still get points from the replacement. It's also good for when you like a team's matchup and don't care which QB they'd decide to play (think about a Philly type situation)... You don't have to gamble and then find out they decided to go the other direction. It won't matter since you're scored by team QB points.
    Our league has talked about that but doesn't seem to be enough support for a change.