Default Re: Pacers/Knicks Postgame Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many rebounds did Melo have again?
    18. 9 of each flavor.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Took Vogel long enough to realize good things happen with a PG/Roy PnR when Bargs is trying to defend Roy. My screaming at the TV all night finally got loud enough for Frank to hear.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I thought Copeland did a reasonably good job of defending Melo, but Vogel nixed it very quickly. What did I miss?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I thought Copeland did a reasonably good job of defending Melo, but Vogel nixed it very quickly. What did I miss?
    it wasn't so much the first line of defense: Cope on Melo, but what was helping behind - which without West, Ian or Roy in the game it was basically nothing in to help. Scola is good at many things, but not protecting the paint.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Here is a great photo from the NY daily News of the foul call on Paul's three.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball
    “It’s too early to panic, but me personally, I’m panicking,” J.R. Smith said.

Friggin' hilarious... He makes it sound like panicking is a good thing..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Message that I received from a Knicks fan on Youtube:

He presents a convincing argument. Especially considering he hates Melo and loves PG.
    Hell no! This guy doesn't know what he is talking about! He said PG defense is overrated? Not even! PG has already showed that he is clutch and can play in big moments! And he did it when it mattered most...in the playoffs! Its the same story every year for Melo in the playoffs. He just tries to shoot his team to victory and its never going to work. Can't believe some of u actually agree with this guys argument. Melo will never, ever, ever, ever win a ring.

Officials screw it up sometimes and I hate when the NBA doesn't publically admit when this happens. I think this is why some of us get fed up at the officiating and why the NBA has such a bad reputation.

With that said Knicks fans whining about last nights game is great example of how dumb fans look when they whine about calls.

They're upset about PG getting fouled on the three, and the next play when 'Melo lowered his shoulder into PG and didn't get a foul called. It's just ridiculous. Tic tac foul? Sure. The first one that is, but how pissed would Knicks fans be if it was Melo taking the final shot and he got hit on the elbow, missed the shot badly and lossed the game? They would have lost it. Because it was a foul.

Similarly, I'm sure there'd be many fans on this board whining about the touch foul... It was a foul. They got it right.

I also like the no-call on 'Melo. If anything, the only possible call would be to call 'Melo for the offensive foul when he lowered his shoulder. I think that would have been much because it wasn't blatant. But to act as if it was PG's fault 'Melo threw his body into him is absurd.

We should use this as a lesson. Don't whine about calls. It makes us look dumb.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Took Vogel long enough to realize good things happen with a PG/Roy PnR when Bargs is trying to defend Roy. My screaming at the TV all night finally got loud enough for Frank to hear.
    Yeah. I mean, Bargnani's defensive tendecies have to be well known at this point. He is actually a good post defender. He can hold his own on a 1-on-1 post-up. His major defensive issue is his team defense. So, you either run a lot of screens around him and force a switch or you involve him on the PnR. You do that and then the possibility of having an easy bucket at the rim or from mid range is high.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Copeland had a great defensive possession on Melo, actually. He defended him as well as anyone could on a post iso. In the next possession, though, Melo got a deeper position and was able to move him easier which resulted in a foul.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LeRyan07 View Post
    Hell no! This guy doesn't know what he is talking about! He said PG defense is overrated? Not even! PG has already showed that he is clutch and can play in big moments! And he did it when it mattered most...in the playoffs! Its the same story every year for Melo in the playoffs. He just tries to shoot his team to victory and its never going to work. Can't believe some of u actually agree with this guys argument. Melo will never, ever, ever, ever win a ring.
    I'm pretty sure that Dr Awesome was being sarcastic.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    We should use this as a lesson. Don't whine about calls. It makes us look dumb.
    Ok, in general I agree with you. But the "lift Roy up and call it a foul on Roy" play was ridiculous.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Ok, in general I agree with you. But the "lift Roy up and call it a foul on Roy" play was ridiculous.
    And what really topped it off was Joey stepping up and screaming to the other official "I GOT THIS!" letting everyone know who was in charge. I'd bet real money the other official would have called it differently, considering he watched Roy get picked up.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

yeah, I try not to complain about ref's in general, but that one got me pissed off.

I will always complain about bad officiating. It is terrible in the NBA.
    David "And One" West

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Why is there always this plea to leave the officials alone in our criticisms. We are only commenting on what we see during the game. Officiating is part of the game. Its okay to vent about it after the game. Joey Crawford is wild card, and the only thing consistent about him is that he will call what ever he pleases at any moment in the game.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

And that was an offensive foul on Melo, and the stupid refs missed it
    David "And One" West

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Paul has some Kobe moves going. He's already the best Pacer in history, including ABA. You look at his defense. His offense. He is the complete package.

Think I'll wait a bit before suggesting that Paul is Hall of Fame ready. But he finished last year very well and is looking very good this year.
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 11-21-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Why is there always this plea to leave the officials alone in our criticisms. We are only commenting on what we see during the game. Officiating is part of the game. Its okay to vent about it after the game. Joey Crawford is wild card, and the only thing consistent about him is that he will call what ever he pleases at any moment in the game.
    Because if you complain specifically about Joey Crawford, and his awfulness, that means you secretly think every NBA game is rigged like the WWE.

One sequence, MWP fouled Hill 5 times before the whistle blew
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Joey Crawford is wild card, and the only thing consistent about him is that he will call what ever he pleases at any moment in the game.
    Random fun fact of the day: The Big 3 era Heat have NEVER beaten the Pacers when Joey Crawford is officiating the game.

#justsaying
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I just can't stand people consistently whining about the officials on Twitter or here. Whether you want to admit it or not, most of you complaining about officials have an extreme amount of bias in regards to officiating. I've learned that these calls even out, and I'm now able to look at all these calls without the perspective that a ref is purposely trying to prevent the Indiana Pacers from winning a regular season basketball game.
    @qandrews9428

30. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

I'm with boombaby1987. NBA officiating is embarrassing. It's bad. Were it not for Big Ten basketball, it would be the worst officiating in any televised sport.

BUT it's not biased. It's just bad. It's uniformly bad. There's a certain perverse comfort-in-predictability surrounding how bad it is. So you just gotta learn to let it go, for the most part. There will be makeup calls. There will be inexplicable calls on the other team. Stars will be given leeway, but hey, the Pacers have stars.

Telling me that calls will balance themselves out, isn't a good excuse to why you shouldn't complain about bad balls. It goes hand in hand with the saying "two wrongs don't make a right."

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I mean I understand that it's not fun to listen to someone complain about every call when most of them seem to be legitimate calls, some fans are just like that. But at the same time... there are still bad calls. I don't feel remotely bad about complaining when I legitimately feel they got something wrong at my team's expense, and I can acknowledge when they screw the other team over as well.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I thought Roy's defense was honestly the turning point of the game, he started shading Paul every time Melo came to the post and that was pretty much the end of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Yup he didn't do that at the start of the game. So much for having his back
    Credit should go to Vogel on this one. Actually there were two huge adjustments Vogel made that won us the game I think.

1. We switched Roy onto Kenyon Martin and D. West onto Bargnani. Roy was pulled out of the pain most of the night defending Bargnani at the 3pt line. As soon as we switched Big Roy onto KMart he could sag off and provide that amazing rim protection we all know and love so much. I think this happened in the late 3rd or early 4th.

2. The other was switching Lance onto Melo. It was clear Paul couldn't stop Melo in the post and that's why the Knicks kept going to that play. Lance although shorter than PG has the bulk and muscle to guard Melo in the post. I think this happened early in the 3rd and if I remember right Melo went scoreless in that period.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post: