Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My random thoughts on the Wizards game

Default My random thoughts on the Wizards game

Very disappointed, but I can't really be mad at the players, like I was after the Hornets game. Pacers played hard, but seemed to have a number of mental breakdowns defensively. Oh and Peeler was the key to the game

Pacers lost the game tonight in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter. Pacers had a 10 point lead late in the quarter and it ends up a 2 point game at halftime. That loss of 8 points changed the 2nd half completely.

The bottom line is the Pacers right now are an average team. .500 team. They just don't have enough good players. We'll see what Jax can bring.

Wizards are a tough team to defend, Gilbert, although shorter than I thought, is tough to stop.

Too bad a couple more shots did not go down.

J.O did everything he could tonight, he carried the team, but Pacers just don't have enough besides him, and it is not the "system" it comes down to talent.

Good to see Jeff take a few jumpers tonight and he hit a couple of them, including a huge one late in the 4th quarter.

Well I guess in many ways the season starts now.

This quote by Rick Carlisle sums things up rather well

"RICK CARLISLE
    "The truth is, we're just not a very good basketball team right now. We show signs, but when it comes down to it, the consistency of our level of toughness fluctuates too much. ... We've got a long way to go to become a team that first makes the playoffs, and then has a chance to win in the playoffs."

Default Re: My random thoughts on the Wizards game

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "RICK CARLISLE
    "The truth is, we're just not a very good basketball team right now. We show signs, but when it comes down to it, the consistency of our level of toughness fluctuates too much. ... We've got a long way to go to become a team that first makes the playoffs, and then has a chance to win in the playoffs."
    The next month should be very interesting if Jax doesn't make much of a difference when he comes back.

I enjoyed seeing Rik Smits tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gniknave
    The next month should be very interesting if Jax doesn't make much of a difference when he comes back.
    Why wouldn't he? He sure looked good before the brawl, and he's been practicing with the team since Christmas. I bet he comes out pretty hot.

Here's hoping Curry goes to the injured list for Jackson, and AJ goes to the injured list for Harrison.

Seriously, the IL will prolly be Gill, Curry, and Edwards.

We are better than a .500 team right now... not by much however.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    We are better than a .500 team right now... not by much however.
    We are better by 1 game

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

Pacers lost the game tonight in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter. Pacers had a 10 point lead late in the quarter and it ends up a 2 point game at halftime. That loss of 8 points changed the 2nd half completely.
    By any chance was AJ in during that period? I don't remember... I wouldn't think so but then... Hmmm...

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

With the squad as it is now, I'd say we would win 45-46 games.

Tinsley was in the game. We were up at one point 40-30, but then it fell back to a 2 point game due to a BS call where Arenas CLEARLY did not beat the shot clock. I cannot understand how they missed that when they reviewed it.

Quote Originally Posted by tseramid
    Tinsley was in the game. We were up at one point 40-30, but then it fell back to a 2 point game due to a BS call where Arenas CLEARLY did not beat the shot clock. I cannot understand how they missed that when they reviewed it.
    Can the refs review a play for a shot clock violation or is it just for a game clock situation?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I thought the same thing, but Quinn said that the refs claimed the review was inconclusive for the shot clock violation. I recall that they can review if the foot is on the line for a 3 point shot as well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    I enjoyed seeing Rik Smits tonight.
    Me too.

For those who missed it. Rik was awarded at halftime by the Netherlands Government for his years of charity work and for helping with Tsunami Relief Effort. Can't remember what it was called, but it is the highest honor his country can award, similar to the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor.

Good Job Rik !
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Yeah, Rik looked really happy. Good to see him again.

Just one question, if it's such a high honor, then why didn't reward it in the Netherlands instead of the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    Me too.

For those who missed it. Rik was awarded at halftime by the Netherlands Government for his years of charity work and for helping with Tsunami Relief Effort. Can't remember what it was called, but it is the highest honor his country can award, similar to the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor.

Good Job Rik !
    That's really cool. Maybe Rik will eventually go into politics. Seems like he'd be a pretty cool guy to have as an ambassador to the US.

medals like that (in fact it is a knighthood) are not given lightly and certainly not for "only" charity work" secondly there are 3 more and higher distinctions.
    These medals are given (always) at the locallity of the receiver, normally handed over by the Mayor on order of the Queen. He can use the title on his stationary, he can ware the ribbon on a suitjacket only, the medal he can only wear on a few occassions per year while a dresscode is appilicable as well for that, occassions he can wear it are the Queen's B'day and Royal funerals, and a few others.

The real reason for receicing it is on Pacers.com in a "letter from the office of te Consulate"

Smits Receives Medal
    from The Netherlands

From the Office of the Consulate General,
    Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Chicago, Jan. 22, 2005 The Consulate General of the Kingdom of The Netherlands in Chicago is proud to announce that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands has awarded, by Royal Decree, one of The Netherlands’ civilian orders to Rik Smits; “Knight in the Order of Orange Nassau”.

Rik Leonardus Hendrik Smits, born August 23rd 1966 in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, is not only Holland’s best basketball player ever, he has also been a great “ambassador” for The Netherlands and has rendered exceptional service to the community, his alma mater and other worthwile causes.

The formal presentation of the order (a medal, ribbon & certificate) was made during half-time of the Wizards-Pacers game at the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis by Mr. Cor Hersbach, Deputy Consul General of the Kingdom of The Netherlands in Chicago.

----------

There's enough Dutch people posting here to not make guesses asking is so easy.

Rik has not known he would get this till the moment came, people are usually "asked" to come for "other" reasons, as they are not supposed to know.
    However they are also "expected" to wear a formal jacket
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I thought they gave all they had to give last night. Even though I didn't expect it I knew a loss could happen and the Wizards are a good team. I felt like if we had one extra big man it could have made a difference. Cro had his sinus problem and I'm sure JB was exhausted after his 12 minute 2 for 3 performance the night before. I knew we would not win in overtime becuase the way these guys were playing with about 6 minutes to go indicated to me the tank was dry. Disappointed? Yes. But I can live with the effort they gave.

Oh BTW, props to Pollard again. Deserves a lot of credit after the mugging he took in Miami to have even played.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Yes it was good to see Rik. Even though I mentioned Rik was not my favorite players back in the day, he was a vital part of those teams and at times near impossible to stop offensively. Now I have never met Rik, but my impression is he is as nice a guy as you'll ever know in any walk of life. Down to earth, unassuming, just a really nice guy.

Bball, as I mentioned in another thread, AJ plus/minus last night was +7.

On the positive side of things, the Pacers just went through their toughest part of the schedule, the past 3 weeks, it won't get any tougher than that.

One other thing. The suspensions hurt a lot. But I might argue that the constant injuries hurt the team more. name one player who has not been injured and missed games because of it. I can name JJ and FJ. Every other player has missed a few games or in many cases a lot of games.

As perhaps Foster's biggest fan, let me say that he did not do a good enough job defending on that last play, you just can't get beat to the guys strong hand. Yes he hit a very tough shot, but he hits those

I have met Rik numerous times over the year and the Dutchman was always a good guy. He represented the Pacers well and was at the top of the list of players who were fan friendly. And, I might add, without his presence in the post, our teams would have had far less success. Rik was not a great rebounder, for sure, but he did set a decent screen.

To give you an idea of how high he is regarded in the Netherlands:

Auction for Tsuname Relief;
    Item Signed Shirt $ 3,918.00
    Left shoe $ 783.00
    Right shoe $ 783.00
    Signed Picture $ 658.00
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

With the squad as it is now, I'd say we would win 45-46 games.
    I agree and I think when you add Jackson to that it becomes a 55-56 win team. Now we might not reach that record because that team is starting the end of January with a .500 record, but if you had this team all year I think that's about what you'd see. We may get hot and get close anyway.

Sports Logo

I think AJ played his best game of the year last night. He was not why we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I agree and I think when you add Jackson to that it becomes a 55-56 win team. Now we might not reach that record because that team is starting the end of January with a .500 record, but if you had this team all year I think that's about what you'd see. We may get hot and get close anyway.
    I hope Jackson is that good, I missed most of the few games he played for us early in the season. I really can't remeber how he plays.

I hope Jackson is that good, I missed most of the few games he played for us early in the season. I really can't remeber how he plays.
    He's a good rebounder, a 3pt shot, a modest post up game, brings energy, and can make some nice passes; usually the pass before the assist type of thing. He's decent at making his own shot and slashing. Oh, and he's a decent man defender and gets a good amount of steals. Putting him in instead of James Jones will be very significant.

He is going to shoot the ball, which is what this team really needs. Right now our offense is solely Tinsley and JO, and they cannot carry this team all year. Jackson will be a big relief, and you will see the offense start to run a heck of a lot more fluidly.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

jackson - artest = no championship