Thread: Resting Starters

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Resting Starters

Should Coach Vogel consider: Reason I ask is Popavich obviously sat Duncan Manu TP. granted they are older. Heat are currently sitting Wade intermittently.

Heat may concede 1 seed and be rested and ready postseason. I want to keep winning, want the 1 seed. But should Coach Vogel rest players as well at times. Maybe Hibbs a game here or there, Paul a game here or there. Granger it would be a good idea with.

This is alos bodes well for other reasons. Lets see this team prove to it can get a win without Paul or Roy (say one fouls out). also builds the team.

most of all, keeps players rested. we got so much depth at this time, some nites we can pull it off. bobcats for example or whoever at home. let OJ play 30 minutes one nite, may need him, or Solo 25, sit DWEST and let Cope gets some minutes.

you all get the point.

LeHeat know they need Wade 100%. Lets make sure our boys get the 1 seed but are ready for the postseason first and foremost.

What u say.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Resting Starters

No. It would disrupt team chemistry and individual rhythms too much to plan to build in rest like that for players who don't really need it (Roy, PG, Lance). So I wouldn't want Vogel to plan on playing the reserves more or not playing some starters at all against certain opponents. There is something about playing down to the competition that makes me uncomfortable and I also think it underestimates the bottom tier teams. Sure, they aren't as talented or don't gel as well on the whole ,but for the most part we are still talking about NBA talent.

I think it makes good sense to manage the minutes of older and/or injury prone players (Danny, David, Hill). I would expect to not see Danny play on any back-to-backs. West and Hill have high quality backups and are older and a bit injury prone respectively, so I'd be fine with shaving off minutes here and there. I don't think they need to sit whole games unless there is a clear injury or fatigue need to do so.

We're still a pretty young team. Part of being ready for the postseason for us is getting minutes to perfect things together. I suspect Roy, PG, and Lance in particular need consistency.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Sports Logo

I don't think that we need to rest them a full game "here and there". The entire defense is highly dependent on PG24 and Hibbert playing at a high level. Given the importance of going for the #1 seed in the East and therefore winning games.....I think that there is a need to ensure that the Starters are playing enough minutes to affect the outcome of games but still rested enough throughout the entire season from game to game.

Limiting the Starters minutes to 32 mpg for GH/PG24/Lance and 30 mpg for West/Hibbert is what I prefer to do. There are games where PG24 and Lance have played 38 to 40+ mpg....too much IMHO.

We have the necessary depth and experience to give CJ, Scola, Mahinmi and some 2 man combination of OJ/Copeland/Solo enough minutes to limit the Starters to those #s.

We may not blow Teams out....but I think that we are good enough to win "modestly" with our defense, offense and depth.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-20-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Once Danny gets back, Paul and Lance will be able to play less minutes. The bigs are already in a good shape rotation wise. If Roy needs less court time, Ian plays a few extra min. If David needs less min, Luis can play more. The issue of extra rest shouldn't be something to worry about with the depth the Pacers have.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once Danny gets back, Paul and Lance will be able to play less minutes.
    Once Danny gets back, Paul and Lance will be retired.

Sorry - it's just that I don't think we should put the slightest bit of faith in Danny playing. If he does, well, fine. But it's been a looooooooong time already and there's nothing definite on the horizon. It's like that hallway in the horror flicks - the faster the person runs down it, the longer it gets.

And no - this group - with the possible exception of West - shouldn't take games off. West is smart enough to turn it down on occasion. And seeing that he already plays the fewest minutes of the starters, Vogel is already ahead of this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    No. It would disrupt team chemistry and individual rhythms
    Really? Not playing 36 minutes for a game here or there is not going to screw up chemistry or rhythms. Seriously, sometimes I feel like half this board never played organized basketball with the way chemistry is talked about. In a relationship, if you take a day to yourself to go fishing or something does your relationship suddenly have problems or go down the drain? No, nothing happens. You come back the next day, and you keep moving forward just as happy to be with each other as you were before. Chemistry is no different, take a game off, come back, and it is as if you never left.

Rhythms, it is an 82 game season, there is plenty of time at the end of the season to get into a rhythm.

It isn't as if he is suggesting they each take 20 games off. It is more of a, play George 20 minutes instead of 38 minutes once or twice a month.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They can get plenty of rest during the 4th quarter. They just need to blowout their competition in the first 3 quarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Pg is playing pretty acceptable minutes. You dont need to go out of your way to rest the young legs. PG played way more minutes last year and had a great playoffs. Roy shouldn't play more than 30-32 mpg ditto to west so that they can put in heavy minutes in the postseason, and danny should be brought in slowly but the young guys? They don't need minutes restrictions, just sit them in blowout situations and they'll be fine. Teams like mia and sas do what they do because their core is older, ours isn't and if we want hca, which is huge for younger teams especially we can't take any games for granted. Winning those games vs. Bobcats etc.. are essential to an elite record and without paul and roy those aren't gimme games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Really? Not playing 36 minutes for a game here or there is not going to screw up chemistry or rhythms. Seriously, sometimes I feel like half this board never played organized basketball with the way chemistry is talked about. In a relationship, if you take a day to yourself to go fishing or something does your relationship suddenly have problems or go down the drain? No, nothing happens. You come back the next day, and you keep moving forward just as happy to be with each other as you were before. Chemistry is no different, take a game off, come back, and it is as if you never left.

Rhythms, it is an 82 game season, there is plenty of time at the end of the season to get into a rhythm.

It isn't as if he is suggesting they each take 20 games off. It is more of a, play George 20 minutes instead of 38 minutes once or twice a month.

George is playing less than 36 mpg. Any less than that is unusual for a star caliber 23 year old.

It may be too soon to worry about rest at this point of the season, it is still an interesting topic. IMO, a lot of the lose to the Bulls was because the starts were tired or just not as rested as they needed.to be. If Danny returns in game shape any time soon and Cope continues to show progress, we should be able to cut all the starters minutes to 30 mpg or less, if we need to. I think the idea of sitting a particular player for a game on a rotating basis is a great idea when you have older or banged up players who need it, but it's probably too soon for FV to start thinking about it just yet.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

At this point, though, we're trying to build game conditioning, and the only way to do that is to play full minutes for a series of games. During the playoffs there is no time to rest starters (unless you really end up with a mismatch), so building legs to that point of the season rather than somehow saving them is a better plan. Holding players out is more for preventing injury, I think, then resting - there's no reason to do that for a young, healthy player.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Nah. I think Vogel is doing a damn good job of achieving our goals and managing the minutes/rotations right now. Look, if it's later in the season and we are in the second game of a back to back and we have a little bit of a cushion for the top seed, then sure, only play David West like 20 minutes or something. The rest of these guys are pretty young. I trust small injuries and what not will give them built in rest as the rigors of the season set in.

Last season's playoffs revealed just how important the #1 seed is to us. We should do our best to win every game. Like the Bulls game, if a game gets out of hand, then we can think about pulling the starters and resting them for that one game. But we don't enter ANY game knowing we are going to rest a starter. That's just taking too big a risk... it's just plain dumb considering our goal of achieving the #1 seed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

There's no reason to sit starters. We can be a little bit more conservative about playing guys with injuries, but there's really no reason to just sit somebody.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

I truly believe we are to good and to deep to not get HCA this year.. Specially since Wade does get rest.. And i also believe we are to much on a mission right now that resting players is just not the best fit with our current plans to take over the world.. This team, well, at least every starter, has to much to proof, like West said the other day on a ESPN interview.

We cant and wont rest players whole games.. But when we continue to impress our opponents with our willingness, the players will have some time before the playoffs to regeign some energy i suppose
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'