Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2013-11...AMS/post/44686

    Going to an Indiana Pacers game is a flat-out bargain. At least that’s what one California-based research firm concluded this week—10 games into the NBA season.

    Sure, it’s cheaper to watch a game on television, but if you like watching live NBA hoops, there’s really no place better to reside than central Indiana—for two reasons.

    First, the Pacers are good. Really good.

    Secondly, and probably almost as important to my frugal Hoosier brethren, attending a Pacers game is relatively cheap. Not cheap compared to items on Wendy’s 99 cent value menu, but compared to admittance at other NBA arenas, the Pacers are dirt cheap.
    Consider for a moment recent analysis by NerdWallet, a San Francisco-based data crunching and research firm which also runs a consumer advocacy website.

    Analyzing the league, NerdWallet concluded that various costs associated with attending a Pacers game—from tickets to beer and parking—are far below the NBA average.

    NerdWallet calculated the median cost of four tickets on the secondary market, two 16-ounce beers, two 16-ounce sodas, four hot dogs and one parking space, and concluded that the Total Family Cost of going to a Pacers game ranked second-lowest of 30 NBA teams.
    Total Family Cost to attend a Pacers game—$262.50—is 41 percent below the league average of $442.28 and more than 70 percent lower than the New York Knicks,’ which has the NBA’s highest cost at $878.20.

    Only the Cleveland Cavaliers, at $222.67, have a lower cost than the Pacers. And I think most basketball fans would agree that the Pacers, which have a league-best 9-1 record, are a bit more entertaining these days than Cleveland, which is well under .500.

    The Pacers offer the third-lowest median ticket price ($55) in the NBA, behind only Cleveland ($42) and Dallas ($52).

    The Pacers had a lower family cost than Dallas because parking is apparently much cheaper near Bankers Life Fieldhouse, $8 compared to $20 at the Mavericks home venue, according to NerdWallet.

    The cost of a beer ($6), soda ($3.25), hot dog ($4) and parking ($8) at a Pacers game are all well below the league average, according to NerdWallet.

    The average median resale ticket price of the 30 NBA teams is $96.57. That’s $41.57 more than a Pacers ticket.
    Unlike the oft-sited Team Marketing Report studies, which use box office ticket prices, NerdWallet opts to use prices on the secondary market for its analysis.

    “The resale market offers a more accurate representation of the demand for a team’s tickets, so ticket prices will fluctuate throughout the season based on team performance and the opponent’s strength,” explained NerdWallet Strategy Analyst Sreekar Jasthi.

    Based on last year’s deep playoff run, this year’s hot start and the emergence of Paul George as a true NBA star, Pacers tickets “are perhaps the best value in the NBA from a cost-quality standpoint,” Jasthi said.

    The only thing keeping prices at Pacers games down now is the relatively small size of the market—which can have an impact on demand, Jasthi said. But he warned of imminent price increases.

    “Families should definitely take advantage of the undervalued resale tickets before the team’s success causes a dramatic increase in prices,” Jasthi said. “Star power and consistent expectations of success will eventually outweigh the effect of the team's location in a small market.”

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,330

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Who pays $8 to park?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I'm wondering where that $3.25 for a pop is.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  6. #4

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Not that I disagree, when people say it costs too much to go see a game I always tell them to budget taking their family to go see a movie because it isn't that big a difference, but I don't know, I do think the "NBA average" stuff is a little unfair. They should break it down to a % of per capita income by market to get a real idea of the bargain. Where I imagine we'd still rank incredibly high.

  7. #5
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not that I disagree, when people say it costs too much to go see a game I always tell them to budget taking their family to go see a movie because it isn't that big a difference,
    Which is why movie theater attendance has dropped off a cliff.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,441

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who pays $8 to park?
    Well up until last Monday vs the Grizzlies, we paid $5 to park in the lot that is behind the Main parking garage, next to the Heliport. But they raised their prices to $10 that day and said it would $10 for the rest of the season.
    Anyone got a cheaper lot?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

    RWB

  11. #7

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is why movie theater attendance has dropped off a cliff.
    Well, partly anyway. That and being able to chill on the couch in your underwear in front of your big *** TV with surround sound and all that. Which is the same problem pro sports have now, probably on a bigger scale.

  12. #8

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Parking is silly cheap for you.

    The first time I went to then-Conseco, I was living near Boston and was used to finding the "cheap lots" there, still at $20. That's $20 per hour, and that was >10 years ago.

    People had advised me ahead of time where to find cheap parking in Indy, but I had my elderly Dad so we opted for as close as possible. I think it was $5. Total.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  13. #9
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well up until last Monday vs the Grizzlies, we paid $5 to park in the lot that is behind the Main parking garage, next to the Heliport. But they raised their prices to $10 that day and said it would $10 for the rest of the season.
    Anyone got a cheaper lot?
    Pretty much all the lots on your left as you go down Alabama to that parking garage are $5 lots.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  14. #10
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Wow $6 for a beer? They are $12 at Oracle Arena.

  15. #11
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow $6 for a beer? They are $12 at Oracle Arena.
    $7.50 is what I'm used to seeing at BLF.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,719

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Yeah, I don't know where any $6 suds are. Guess I haven't looked in the right place.

  18. #13
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I just pay $6 to park on the roof of the Parking Garage. So convenient.
    @qandrews9428

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,606

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who pays $8 to park?
    Sometimes some people have to pay that much cuz they have no choice. I pay $20 to pay to park at Oracle Arena.

    BART ( the Bay Area Light Rail ) isn't an option for me
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-20-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #15

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just pay $6 to park on the roof of the Parking Garage. So convenient.
    This is where I park. It's right there, but traffic leaving can be horrendous.

  22. #16

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    They really should judge by % of per capita income. Not to mention we are more of a commuter fanbase so gas should probably be factored into it

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,062

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I usually spend $20 tops when I go to games.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  26. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I usually spend $20 tops when I go to games.
    My nightly gas receipt.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,606

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I saw that $50 Saturday Family Night deal for a meal ( I assume hot dog, drinks and chips for everyone ) and tickets that the Pacers promote. That is by far one of the best deals that I have seen the Pacers offer.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  29. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,317

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    “Families should definitely take advantage of the undervalued resale tickets before the team’s success causes a dramatic increase in prices,”

    If you go to stubhub it's already happening as even decent balcony seats have climbed in price compared to just a few weeks ago.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  31. #21
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I wish these articles would post links to the actual studies when they report on them. I'd be interested to see the complete data for the rest of the league.

  32. #22
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,330

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well up until last Monday vs the Grizzlies, we paid $5 to park in the lot that is behind the Main parking garage, next to the Heliport. But they raised their prices to $10 that day and said it would $10 for the rest of the season.
    Anyone got a cheaper lot?
    *Insert plug for South and Pennsylvania street $5 lots here*
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  34. #23
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I think the CityWay parking on Delaware just south of the tracks is $5.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  35. #24
    A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    414

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well up until last Monday vs the Grizzlies, we paid $5 to park in the lot that is behind the Main parking garage, next to the Heliport. But they raised their prices to $10 that day and said it would $10 for the rest of the season.
    Anyone got a cheaper lot?
    I always park on the street some where. I know the meters run later, but still only a dollar and maybe a short walk to the game. Plus, its easier to get out and go if you're not in a lot.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

    RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

  36. #25
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,236

    Default Re: IBJ: Cost of Attending Pacers games rated as NBA's best bargain

    I have free parking downtown in a parking garage...15 minute walk to BLF.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •