Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

  1. #1
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    I'm doing a little personal research and I'd like to know the 3 biggest events of your life. By "biggest", I'm referring to newsworthy/world events that influenced you or left the biggest mark on you.

    Feel free to elaborate, talk about where you were when a particular event happened, or throw out other notable mentions. But at the very minimum please list your top 3.

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,044

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    The three that come to my mind in order of their happening are; President Kennedy being Killed. I was on the rifle range in Marine Corps boot camp.

    Men stepping on the moon. I stayed up all night watching.

    The world trade center buildings destruction. Watched on television of course.

    I'm so low key that I don't think any of these events influenced me one way or another though.

  3. #3
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    I. Fall of the Iron Curtain/Collapse of the Warsawpact/End of the Cold War, starting 16 november 1989

    II. The Twin Towers, September 11 2001

    III. Screbrenica, Massmurder in Bosnia, July 11 1995
    Last edited by Mourning; 06-11-2014 at 04:11 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    World Trade Center and everything else on 9-11. As numb as I've ever been watching it play out. Was in a restaurant having breakfast and stayed there until well after lunch.

    The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. My Mom said i probably should watch it. I didn't really undersand it all at the time - I was about 9 - but thru the years, I understood the magnitude of it more & more.

    East Coast blackout in 1965 (??). Again, young at the time and it only lasted from one evening into the next afternoon, but it was really unsettling. No way to figure out what had happened or how long it would last.

  6. #5
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    1. 9/11. Nothing else comes close.
    2. Oklahoma City Bombing. I was very young when this happened. First big news event that I can remember.
    3. Hurricane Katrina. Worst U.S. natural disaster of my lifetime. It was crazy to see a major US city effectively ruined by a natural disaster.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,730

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The three that come to my mind in order of their happening are; President Kennedy being Killed. I was on the rifle range in Marine Corps boot camp.

    Men stepping on the moon. I stayed up all night watching.

    The world trade center buildings destruction. Watched on television of course.

    I'm so low key that I don't think any of these events influenced me one way or another though.
    Those are the same ones that that came to mind for me as well. Terrible thing that two of the three most memorable events were such tragedies. You would hope for that to not be the case, but there it is.

  9. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    1.) 9/11
    2.) The night we got Bin Laden and follow up coverage
    3.) I could put a lot of stuff here, school shootings, Katrina was a very big deal too, Atlanta Olympic bombings, OKC bombings, the entire OJ trial including the White Bronco chase, but I'm going to go with the Boston Marathon bombing and the way everything went down over the next couple days there. The pictures of the city being completely empty were so eerie.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  10. #8
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,250
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The three that come to my mind in order of their happening are; President Kennedy being Killed. I was on the rifle range in Marine Corps boot camp.

    Men stepping on the moon. I stayed up all night watching.

    The world trade center buildings destruction. Watched on television of course.

    I'm so low key that I don't think any of these events influenced me one way or another though.
    Ditto that

    as a secondary........ THe State Fair Coliseum explosion and the Berlin Wall coming down.
    and for you youngsters, I remember being in the lockeroom after a game and saying goodbyes to my teammates while wondering if we would be alive the next morning. Yes, the Cuban Missle Crisis was just that scarey...everyone was pretty sure the US would be involved in a nucular war overnight.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,360

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    I think 9/11 will always be the one that sticks out above all others.

    Secondary I think might be the Columbine shootings. I was in my teens at the time and I'm still a very avid gamer, so the backlash and the blaming of violent video games really stuck to me.

    The third one I think is the Marathon bombing. I put this one over OKC probably because it was more recent and the memory is fresher.

  13. #10

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    I'm pretty young, so...

    1. 9/11, and #2 & 3 aren't even close.

    2. Columbine. I was in 5th grade, and we spent probably 2 days talking about it as a class, and being introduced to new policy changes. A week after Columbine, I got in a "fight" (boys being boys) at recess and was suspended out-of-school due to zero tolerance policy...one of the many policies introduced after Columbine.

    3. Hurricane Katrina. I was going to put Bill Clinton's impeachment hearings, because I remember that so vividly from both a parody standpoint and from our teacher trying to explain to use why the President was in the news. But Katrina took the cake in that it just seemed to...happen, and then that was all that was on the news for a long time after that. One day, I was in the school media lab looking at breaking news that Katrina had been upgraded to a Category 5 and was veering toward New Orleans. The next, there were 1,000+ people missing or dead. Awful.

    Runners-up: Shock and Awe invasion of Iraq, Obama election (one of those few "watching history being made" moments), the Beltway Sniper (everyone was afraid to get gas in DC for an entire summer), Bin Laden assassination, the 2000 Presidential Election.

    The post-9/11 world...

    I will say, and maybe it's recency bias, that the Newtown CT shooting is still the most shocking and upsetting event I can recall (assuming that nothing compares to 9/11), but it wasn't a "that changed everything" kind of deal.

  14. #11
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    1. 9/11
    2. Tsunami in the Indian Ocean
    3. Columbine Shooting

  15. #12
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    The three which came to mind first:

    9-11

    Challenger Explosion - I remember I was in the hallway at school when I heard about it. The first real "oh wow" moment i remember.

    Iranian Hostage Crisis - This is the first major news story I remember seeing on t.v. The failed rescue attempt, the Beach Boys parody "Bomb Iran" and then Reagan gaining office and the hostages being released soon there after.

    Of course there are many others which stand out, like Tienanmen Square which I remember happening during a Saturday baseball game and Vin Scully handling the intrusion like a pro.
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 06-11-2014 at 12:13 PM.

  16. #13
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Appreciate the responses. Keep 'em coming please. I've asked this same question in several other forums and I'm compiling the data for something I plan to write.

    There are a couple ones I'm surprised haven't been mentioned yet but I don't want to influence anyone's responses yet.

  17. #14
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Challenger Explosion - I remember I was in the hallway at school when I heard about it. The first real "oh wow" moment i remember.
    That's one that I was surprised hadn't been mentioned. I relate when you say it was your first "oh wow" moment. It was also a strange moment for me. I remember fellow classmates almost acting excited because they thought the explosion was "cool". I was 10 and remember not knowing how to feel about it. Confusion.
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 06-11-2014 at 12:28 PM.

  18. #15
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,250
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    can't believe I forgot that one (I'm a big space nut)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  19. #16
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,360

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's one that I was surprised hadn't been mentioned. I relate when you say it was your first "oh wow" moment. It was also a strange moment for me. I remember fellow classmates almost acting excited because they thought the explosion was "cool". I was 10 and remember not knowing how to feel about it. Confusion.
    I was 9 months old in January 1986, to be fair.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  21. #17
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,250
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was 9 months old in January 1986, to be fair.
    I feel like I should put you over my shoulder and burp you.

    (no offense)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,360

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel like I should put you over my shoulder and burp you.

    (no offense)
    None taken, I'm not exactly a tree of wisdom yet.

  24. #19
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    None taken, I'm not exactly a tree of wisdom yet.
    It takes wisdom to admit you have none.


  25. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    The reason I put the OJ trial as a runner up is that I feel like that kind of set the tone for the way we do news now. Everyone gobbled everything about that up so eagerly that it influenced the 24/7 inundation we now receive on news stories that aren't always national news. It was a landmark moment for the 24/7 news industry in many ways I believe. I mean the White Bronco chase literally interrupted every piece of programming. And it was just because of a double murder and because the guy was an NFL running back, I don't mean to make any of those events seem unimportant in the scheme of things, but really until 1994 I can't remember the nation getting so wrapped in something that in the grand scheme of things affected very few people.

    All our other major news moments, whether they be assassinations of presidents, national disasters, wars, terrorist attacks, etc. all had a real impact on thousands of people, but if you think about it OJ Simpson killing (or not) his ex wife and her lover really shouldn't have been as big of a deal as it was, but it proved that crap like that brought conistent ratings and voila, you have the news as we know it now.

    Also, the Pacers first playoff home game immediately after the Boston Marathon bombing was the tightest I had ever seen security. Probably walked by about 15 bomb sniffing/attack shepherds in half a block on the way into the stadium.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-11-2014 at 03:23 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  27. #21
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,250
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    and voila........tabloid journalism was born.


    OJ was quite a big celebrity and so the helicopter chase caused quite a stir.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  28. #22
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reason I put the OJ trial as a runner up is that I feel like that kind of set the tone for the way we do news now. Everyone gobbled everything about that up so eagerly that it influenced the 24/7 inundation we now receive on news stories that aren't always national news. It was a landmark moment for the 24/7 news industry in many ways I believe. I mean the White Bronco chase literally interrupted every piece of programming. And it was just because of a double murder and because the guy was an NFL running back, I don't mean to make any of those events seem unimportant in the scheme of things, but really until 1994 I can't remember the nation getting so wrapped in something that in the grand scheme of things affected very few people.

    All our other major news moments, whether they be assassinations of presidents, national disasters, wars, terrorist attacks, etc. all had a real impact on thousands of people, but if you think about it OJ Simpson killing (or not) his ex wife and her lover really shouldn't have been as big of a deal as it was, but it proved that crap like that brought conistent ratings and voila, you have the news as we know it now.

    Also, the Pacers first playoff home game immediately after the Boston Marathon bombing was the tightest I had ever seen security. Probably walked by about 15 bomb sniffing/attack shepherds in half a block on the way into the stadium.


    I agree, OJ's chase and murder trial definitely ushered in the modern news media. I get the obsessing over the Juice case. He was a sports icon who was also in movies and commercials. It's not everyday that someone like that gets accused of slaughtering his ex-wife and friend, and then leads police on a police chase through the freeways of LA. That was obviously a unique story, and it was only just beginning since the trial itself was a complete spectacle too. So I get the obsessing over that story.

    However, the problem with the OJ coverage is that ever since then, the media picks these random murder cases to just obsess over. I don't care about the trials of lowlife scum like Casey Anthony and Jodi Arias, yet the media treats them as if they are OJ. It's just too much.

  29. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Yeah, I get why OJ was big, but it set a precedent. It's probably why we have shows like CSI and even channels basically dedicated to murder cases.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. #24
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,518

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    1.) 9/11: I was 15 when it happened and it had a profound impact on my life, got me interested in international politics which is what I do for a living today.

    2.) Columbine: To me Columbine marked an end of the fairly innocent 90's decade (for Americans at least) and into the more difficult 2000's. Also, my parents wouldn't let me play Doom 3 for like a year after Columbine which pissed me off to no end!

    3.) Lehman Brothers meltdown/2008 financial crisis: To an extent this still affects my generation as the economy has never really recovered from this and people my age are having so many difficulties entering the work force and establishing themselves.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-11-2014 at 07:43 PM.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  32. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Name the 3 biggest news events you can remember

    Financial crisis is a pretty good one because I was in business school when it first set in. A girl in one of my smaller classes had a dad who was a big higher up, she missed class for a week after it happened because her family lost pretty much everything financially. It also affected our I-Core project because the market got so out of whack that some of the economic indicators we were supposed to use in our finance section of the i-core case/report didn't work correctly anymore, so all of us who were assigned that section for our groups struggled wiht it for like 3 days before the teachers just gave out a plug in answer due to that unreliability of the indicator at that point in time.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •