Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Week 12: @ Cardinals

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Week 12: @ Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Changes have to be made. Irsay screwed up by buying into this "run first" philosophy. Great QBs and passing offenses win in this league- not run oriented teams with game managing QBs.
    I agree. Great QB's and passing offenses win in this league. The key is that you must be able to run the ball when you have to in tough playoff situations (a huge weakness in Manning's later years), but you don't need to revolve your offense around the running game in today's NFL. The Colts have just been completely stubborn this year. They don't have the ability to have a nasty running game, yet they insist on trying it just so they can pound their chests and say that they try to play smash mouth football.

Like I said, Pep is one of the least adaptive and creative offensive coordinators I've ever seen. Would it kill him to roll Luck out of the pocket every once in a while? I'm tired of seeing Luck get bulldozed in the pocket. I'm tired of the same predictable formations. Arians's style might have led to a lot of interceptions last year, but it also won us a lot of games. Arians was far more suited to develop a talent like Luck than the Pagano/Pep tandem. Though in fairness, the team last year did have much better offensive weapons than this depleted bunch. We honestly might have the worst receiving group in the NFL right now. Hilton is talented, but he just isn't good enough to compensate for being the number 1 focus of a defense. Also, he seems to just get too easily out-muscled by defenders on routes. Needs to get tougher. Fleener has been a bright spot this year. Outside of those two guys, our receiving corp is absolutely pitiful.

The Wayne injury was unfortunately the straw that broke the camel's back. It completely dissolved us of our swagger. The offense has been a shell of itself since then and you can tell that it's affected the entire team. We were able to overcome most of the early injuries, but this one is just too much.

We obviously peaked in the Denver game. That game was the highest of highs. I thought that was a team that looked like it could be competing for a Super Bowl appearance. But we are a shell of ourselves now. We could still get lucky and win a playoff game at home, but I doubt it.

I don't think we are going to blow the division. We still have all three division teams at home. At worst, we will go 2-1 against them.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-24-2013 at 10:21 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Next week is a must-win. If we lose that games things start to get tight.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

This is still a work in progress. Luck and the vets have made us forget this a tad, when they come out and beat Super Bowl favorites this year and good teams, like Green Bay last year.

All the comebacks. The big wins.

We're only 2 years removed from basically cleaning house.

We're going to have games like these. We're going to be the enigma of the NFL until we get really solid on both lines and hopefully stay healthy.

That being said. This is a game we could have won, and being blown out for the 2nd time in 3 weeks is absolutely pathetic.

Did I almost turn the game off at halftime? Yes. Did I force myself to watch one of the most boring games of football ever? Yes. I don't think we'll lose the division. But the question is, will it be because of our play in the future or the fact that our division includes the likes of the Jaguars, Titans and Texans? Honestly, I don't know.

But we are damn lucky to be in the AFC South right now and still having a 2 game lead in it. But I guess, the luck of being in the South comes with a price.....

Losing Wayne really, really, really ****ed us. Dude was our rock. It sucks because if we hadn't lost all those offensive weapons we probably could have made a deep run in January.

I think besides the lack of talent on offense, we have lost our confidence. Rams dominate us AT HOME, barely beat the Titans, and then get smoked by the Cardinals.

Good for Bruce Arians, though. He'll always be loved for what he did here in 2012. I'd certainly rather have him than Pep right now. I'm sure as much as he loves getting an easy win, he probably hated it being the Colts that it came against.

On to the next one, I suppose, though. Titans at home. Got to win that. Win that and we basically have the division.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

The sad thing is I think the Colts need an epic collapse in order for Irsay to actually do something here. I mean the irony here is he wants this team to not be dependent on Andrew Luck the problem here its history repeating itself but with a younger version.

I'm watching the postgame interiews on channel 13 and I know Rich Nye's tall, but holy crap TY Hilton is a tiny dude

Cards were averaging just 85 yds per game rushing. Sunk a lot of dough into this D in free agency for this level of putrid.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It's time to admit that Richardson is a bust. There's been enough time for both player and team to understand each other and it's just not happening. MAYBE with some line improvement and training camp... and a full complement of offensive weapons for Luck... it would help. But Richardson isn't the 2nd coming of pre-injury Edge.
    Here is a great observation from the poster GoBigBlue88 at coltfreaks.com:

Look, Trent Richardson just isn't a good RB. I'm sorry some of you need this spelled out for you every week, but he's not. Great example today -- off-tackle run where TE drives his man wide, Castonzo seals off the interior defender. Wide open hole for Richardson. He hits it running hard in one direction, he goes 10 yards before he encounters a defender. Instead, he stutter steps in the hole. There is no reason for doing this, no defender around. He just stutter steps because he's unsure. And he's so slow, he gets tripped up from behind. Gain of 2. This guy is slow, and turns 10-yard gains into 2-yard gains. It was a terrible trade. No amount of practice, coaching or offseason will make it a good trade. At best, his future is a 3rd down or goal line back.

http://coltfreaks.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=508

Perfectly said.

That's not the first time where he has stutter stepped and turned a potential long gain into a 2 yard one. This guy is just not any good. Yes, we all know the line is bad, but Ahmad Bradshaw and Donald Brown each have/were able to have a couple of shinning moments this season. T-Rich hasn't. He's slow and is not a good running back.

I tried to sip the Koolaide on this. I supported the trade when it first happened because I was under the impression that we were getting a somewhat decent RB, so I guess I'm guilty of some Monday morning quarterbacking. But who cares what I think? I'm just some Joe Schmo on a message board. Those who run this team should be held accountable for trading a first round pick for a bad running back. I'm not even going to watch the draft next year. It's going to be too irritating when we see Cleveland picking for us.

At this point, it's a massive flop of a trade. Even though not everything is T-Rich's fault, he's added absolutely nothing of value. At some point throughout a season, any good running back can find ways to sometimes compensate for a bad line. T-Rich never does, and he misses holes even when the line does their job. We could play one of the yellow jacket CSC event staff workers and have the same results.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Richardson was a great fit. He's terrible, just like everyone else on the team besides Luck and Mathis.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

We've been outscored 93-9 in the last four first halves against Houston, St. Louis, Tennessee, and Arizona. That is one of the most astoundingly awful statistics I've ever seen. And it's not like any of these teams are that great. Arizona is the best of the four, but that's not saying much.

You have to look at coaching and preparation when you get your a** handed to you in four straight first halves like that. We're lucky as hell that we've managed to go 2-2 in that stretch. But you're not going to win many games against good teams when you start like that, much less a playoff game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I agreed with this

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/11/...ying-so-poorly

Chuck Pagano At A Loss As To Why His Colts Are Playing So Poorly
    By Brad Wells  @StampedeBlue on Nov 25 2013, 6:00a 37

Christian Petersen
    Pagano doesn't seem to know how to fix his broken 7-4 team.

TWEET (8) SHARE (5)  SHARE 37 COMMENTS
    Itís a broken record at this point.

Colts started slow, again. Chuck Pagano's defense was carved up by a mediocre-at-best quarterback. Coverage was spotty. Run defense nonexistent.

The Colts 40-11 Week 12 loss to the Cardinals was so bad that even attempting to analyze it makes me feel tired, useless, and ultimately soul drained.

For the second time in two weeks, the Colts got their asses handed to them by an NFC West team. This time, instead of a Rams team led by Kellen Clemson, it was Carson Palmer and the Bruce Arians-coached Cardinals.

Amazing. The Colts blew out the 49ers in Candlestick back in Week 3 and came back to knock off the Seahawks on Week 5. Both those teams are not only the top teams in their division, but two of the premiere teams in the entire league.

And yet, this same Colts team that bested SF and Seattle has gotten dismantled and humiliated by St. Louis and Arizona.

Yes, the season-ending injury to wide receiver Reggie Wayne has indeed severely affected the Coltsí offense, but that injury does not explain or excuse just how terrible Indianapolisí defense has performed since the bye week. For the third time in four weeks, the defense has surrendered 14 points in the first quarter. Also for the third time in four weeks, the Coltsí defense has allowed the opponentís offense to score with their opening possession.

And yet, despite these facts plainly available, Colts head coach Chuck Pagano continues to defer when he wins the opening coin toss.

In the first half of the last four games, the Colts have been outscored 93-9. Reggie Wayne isnít a defensive back, a linebacker, or a defensive line. Blaming his injury as the reason why the Colts have played so poorly since their Week 7 win against the Broncos is laziness. A cheap narrative. Pagano water carrying.

The reality we must all come to realize is that, despite general manager Ryan Grigson spending tens of millions of dollars of owner Jim Irsayís money to handpick players Chuck Pagano believed would thrive in his 3-4 "hybrid" scheme, this defense isnít much better than last years.

And itís the new players, the expensive free agent acquisitions, who are playing the worst.

After the game, veteran defensive lineman Cory Redding spoke to reporters and talked about how the players and coaches needed to do some "soul searching." This was Redding doing what he does well: Be a leader. Contrast this with Robert Mathis, who ducked reporters and left the locker room following the game without saying a word to the media.

Frustration is reaching the breaking point. Itís clear that Chuck Pagano doesnít have any answers. He looked exacerbated and confused after his defense gave up over 100 yards rushing in the first half to a Cardinals team that was averaging 85 a game going in.

Blowout loses like this one and the Rams lose make the impressive early season wins against teams like the 49ers moot. The Colts are being embarrassed, and their coach seems dazed and without reasons to correct their many issues.

When the coach doesn't have the answers, that means things could spiral out of control quickly unless he finds some, and quick!

He looked "exacerbated"?

Kellen Clemson?

I'm not Graham R Nahtzi, but a writer (even for a blog) needs to check stuff
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    He looked "exacerbated"?

Kellen Clemson?

I'm not Graham R Nahtzi, but a writer (even for a blog) needs to check stuff
    I thought those were the comments section.

Brad Wells is a moron.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

He does come across as the stereotypical New York d-bag but putting that aside I thought what he said was rather well reasoned considering how he doesn't care for Pagano's coaching to begin with. I expected him to be a lot more irrational about the whole thing after yesterday's game

If Pagano is baffled he needs to look in the mirror. This is a guy that never does anything different and won't bench players who are under-performing? Can't be too stubborn as a coach. Be flexible....shake it up. C'mon Chuck.
    Last edited by presto123; 11-25-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Here is a great observation from the poster GoBigBlue88 at coltfreaks.com:

Look, Trent Richardson just isn't a good RB. I'm sorry some of you need this spelled out for you every week, but he's not. Great example today -- off-tackle run where TE drives his man wide, Castonzo seals off the interior defender. Wide open hole for Richardson. He hits it running hard in one direction, he goes 10 yards before he encounters a defender. Instead, he stutter steps in the hole. There is no reason for doing this, no defender around. He just stutter steps because he's unsure. And he's so slow, he gets tripped up from behind. Gain of 2. This guy is slow, and turns 10-yard gains into 2-yard gains. It was a terrible trade. No amount of practice, coaching or offseason will make it a good trade. At best, his future is a 3rd down or goal line back.

http://coltfreaks.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=508

Perfectly said.

That's not the first time where he has stutter stepped and turned a potential long gain into a 2 yard one. This guy is just not any good. Yes, we all know the line is bad, but Ahmad Bradshaw and Donald Brown each have/were able to have a couple of shinning moments this season. T-Rich hasn't. He's slow and is not a good running back.

I tried to sip the Koolaide on this. I supported the trade when it first happened because I was under the impression that we were getting a somewhat decent RB, so I guess I'm guilty of some Monday morning quarterbacking. But who cares what I think? I'm just some Joe Schmo on a message board. Those who run this team should be held accountable for trading a first round pick for a bad running back. I'm not even going to watch the draft next year. It's going to be too irritating when we see Cleveland picking for us.

At this point, it's a massive flop of a trade. Even though not everything is T-Rich's fault, he's added absolutely nothing of value. At some point throughout a season, any good running back can find ways to sometimes compensate for a bad line. T-Rich never does, and he misses holes even when the line does their job. We could play one of the yellow jacket CSC event staff workers and have the same results.
    This cannot be correct kid minneapolis said it's the line's fault and always has been the line's fault.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This cannot be correct kid minneapolis said it's the line's fault and always has been the line's fault.

Also, it is how we use Trent and that is how you explain Bradshaw doing well this year, Brown doing well this year, and Ballard running behind a worse offensive line last year and doing a much better job.

There was a play that Luck found Trent in the flat. Trent had his back to the defender when he caught and did this spin move to break the tackle and I am thinking this is going to be a big gain. The defender quickly recovers and tackles Trent for a minimal gain. The guy just does not have that burst at all.

I did have to laugh when Herron came in and ripped off 33 yards on four carries. I know it was garbage time, but it was nice to see a RB on our team gain some yards.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a huge lack of a playmaker in the WR corp. Hell, screw the playmaker. Someone who will will show some consistency in catching the ball bar Hilton who will help us get a first down. We have reached a point that most of the time, we hope for a penalty to get us a first down because otherwise there is no much chance. It's that bad at the start of the games and even later on. I see the current corp and I am in despair.

I am also pissed off with not using Rogers. I know there is an anticipation and a bit of hype around the kid and possibly will expect the second coming but ffs give him a freaking chance and at least let him blew it first. He cannot be worse than that bum DHB. I don't care if he has character issues. If he is gonna help this team now, use him. We would welcome any help in the WR's.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Teams that aren't good still find ways to get their best receiver the ball, yet we can't seem to figure a way out to consistently get it to T.Y. Look at Cleveland with Josh Gordon. Sure, Gordon is better than Hilton, but Weeden is certainly worse than Luck. Yet Cleveland consistently finds a way to get the ball to their most talented receiver.

This is yet another reason why I think Pep Hamilton is a bad offensive coordinator. We know that opponents are going to try to take T.Y. out of the game, yet we don't seem to even try to adjust. Why can't we try some new plays designed to get T.Y. open? He's by far the best play maker in this offense, yet we are still treating him like an afterthought. We're still making David freaking Reed the target of plays. I just see no creation and adjustments from Pep. It's the same boring formations and plays which defenses have studied. T.Y is easy to take out of the game when the opponent knows exactly what's coming. We need to mix it up and make getting him the ball the main point of our offense through a mixture of short and long plays. He can do a better job of being more physical with defenders, but most of the problem is with the awful offensive coordinating.

I was really excited about T.Y. after the Houston game, but it's been a buzz kill since then.

Does anyone honestly think that T.Y. would be this irrelevant if Arians was still here? Hell no. He would figure out a way to consistently get T.Y. the ball. Pep is a complete joke of a coordinator compared to Arians. I'd do anything to have Arians back.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.

We have too many coaches and a GM with too little experience.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

There was a play that Luck found Trent in the flat. Trent had his back to the defender when he caught and did this spin move to break the tackle and I am thinking this is going to be a big gain. The defender quickly recovers and tackles Trent for a minimal gain. The guy just does not have that burst at all.
    Except he actually runs faster than Donald Brown, someone who every one talks about how quick he is. And before it's pointed out that burst was said, not speed, I'll just point to their 40 times, which is a measurement of how fast a guy gets out of the blocks (burst) and gets up to speed.

Trent made that play, with the spin move. I'm all for complaints, hell I do it a lot, but I just hate it when things are made up.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You all are hilarious. You jump on any running back that comes in for a 30 yard game. DBrown, Herron, whoever. This offense sucks right now, there is very little to take from any individual run that some lucky ******* breaks off. DBrown had 1 yard last game, after you all were saying how great he is. You have to realize this offense sucks right now.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Are you saying the o-line is playing well? What did I say that wasn't correct? It was the o-line that started this downward spiral, they still are sucking. Now the rest of the team is following suit. I just don't see the point of your snide remark.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I would think after the stinkers the entire offense has laid for the past three weeks, that the complaints would finally start broadening more instead of staying so focused on just one guy. Guess not.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I would think after the stinkers the entire offense has laid for the past three weeks, that the complaints would finally start broadening more instead of staying so focused on just one guy. Guess not.
    There is plenty of broad criticism throughout this thread. Poor coaching, bad offensive coordinating, awful defense, pitiful receiving corps, bad quarterback decision making, bad O-line, and lousy running game have all been mentioned.

The T-Rich trade is always going to be a big issue though.