Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53

Thread: Incorporating Copeland

  1. #26
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,623

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry if already posted. Copeland had some procedure done in the off season. Maybe he was always scheduled to get minutes but wasn't fully ready because of his off season procedure. So Solo getting so much time may have been more about Copeland not being ready and not about being out played or being a better fit.
    I am willing to give Copeland the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his shooting....but honestly, I do not want to go Small Ball that often unless abusing the oppposing Team with a PF/C rotation of West/Hibbert/Scola/Mahinmi isn't working ( which doesn't really happen that often ). If we ever did go Small Ball...it would only be in those situations where the matchups fit ( I don't want to see Copeland abused in the low-post by Gibson again ), Hibbert wasn't on the floor with him and there are at least 2 other Starters on the floor with him ( some 2- Man combination of PG24/Lance/GH ).

    Otherwise, I prefer to see Copeland ( if he had the nod over Solo ) playing with as many Starters as possible at the Backup SF spot.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  2. #27
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Copeland is 10x the player GG was for us last season. GG offered very lil defense, stupid careless turnovers and disruption of offense, and that was on a good shooting nite.

    Cope may not be a great player defensively, but honestly worst case scenario if Granger cannot give us minutes, Cope essentially is a poor mans version of Granger defensively, im sorry but the way Cope shoots you gotta find him minutes on this team. Easily within the second unit even when Danny does return.


    Best case:

    Hill, CJ
    George, Lance
    Granger, Cope
    West, Scola
    Hibbert, Mahinmi

    Were deep. still like to see us acquire another big at the trade deadline. Plumlee woulda been perfect.

    Like solo and oj but cope is a lights out shooter. Were not gonna be playing him on LBJ.


    silver lining in the loss to the bulls, we uncovered a gem on our bench. feels like we got thumped but got better at the same time.

    Get cope an understanding of our defense philosophy now is a good thing. Cope may be huge for us in the playoffs.



    last ECF game 7 im on record of stating I hoped we could find a guy that gives quick hits like that. evident cope could easily do that during knicks series. korver/redick were way out of price range. spoke of in the Copeland thread earlier this season on why he isn't getting mins. Bird got us a cheaper version and different position than redick/korver.

    anyways, cope off our bench at sf/pf is going to be a boon to our offense. look at the potiential second five yall.. its wicked good.

    cj
    lance
    cope
    scola
    mahinmi


    shame on those who doubted the LEGEND.


    * DG33 comes back and this team will win 60.

    I pray to the Almighty have a 31 jersey and keep this team healthy.

    Go Pacers!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    I kinda figured once we got Scola that this would be Cope's role on the team, the dude we bring in when our offense is stagnant and we need buckets. I've liked our usage of Solo, but I like PacersPride's thoughts on using those minutes to get Cope adjusted to playing real NBA defense. Cope on defense might be worse than Solo on offense, BUT Cope's elite shooting is something we need to at least try and incorporate.

    First half minutes in November aren't gonna ruin our season, might as well see what we have. I hope we never see the Cope/Scola duo ever again, though.

  5. #29
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,180
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am willing to give Copeland the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his shooting....but honestly, I do not want to go Small Ball that often unless abusing the oppposing Team with a PF/C rotation of West/Hibbert/Scola/Mahinmi isn't working ( which doesn't really happen that often ). If we ever did go Small Ball...it would only be in those situations where the matchups fit ( I don't want to see Copeland abused in the low-post by Gibson again ), Hibbert wasn't on the floor with him and there are at least 2 other Starters on the floor with him ( some 2- Man combination of PG24/Lance/GH ).

    Otherwise, I prefer to see Copeland ( if he had the nod over Solo ) playing with as many Starters as possible at the Backup SF spot.
    I wasn't speaking on what position Copeland is best suited to play. I was stating that I think Cope could have not been totally healthy earlier, now he maybe and that why we are seeing less of Solo.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  6. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    I think it's too soon to make assessments regarding Copeland and SHill. However, one thing we do know about Copeland is that he performed well under pressure during last year's playoffs. Neither player is a top ten player on the team, so there's no rush. I'm sure Vogel will get the relative value of each player by half way through the season.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  8. #31

    Default Re: Imcorporating Copeland

    Should have drafted Tim Hardaway Jr. over Solo.
    Here we come lottery?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:


  10. #32
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    I just like having Copeland come in every now and then, because his presence changes our offense entirely. Not that he's the 1-2 option out there, but it is still a very different look. When it seems like a team has zeroed in to disrupting our regular offense, I think it is great that we can throw this offense out there to make them adjust.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    I'd like to see him at the 4 with Ian at the 5 to mask his perimeter D. I agree he should just be a change-up.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  14. #34
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    The thing about Cope that had surprised me is that he actually has a pretty solid dribble/drive game if he is given the opportunity.

    In the Chicago game he got right to the rim on one or two occasions because the defense closed too hard on him.

    This, if harnessed correctly, could shore up a weakness in our offense. Just my 2c.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  16. #35
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to see him at the 4 with Ian at the 5 to mask his perimeter D. I agree he should just be a change-up.
    why not play him at sf (depending on matchups). I agree we cannot play cope with scola as the bigs.

    we can go big with our 2nd unit. cope, scola, mahinmi

    lance would be ideal as the sg for that unit, if danny does return to health. we would be big and potent. I believe copes peremiter d can be covered up (dependent on matchup).

    not entirely clear why solo is getting bad pub. he is a rookie. he doenst have confidence in his game yet but it will come. I like his athletic attributes. enufft to where I say if danny does not return then let solo and oj battle for the sg position in the 2nd unit. solo looks like he can guard both win positions.

    to the poster above stating we should have drafted hardaway. i see your point, i don't even follow the knicks i think is who drafted him, and maybe he is doing well. my understading of hardaway is he is more a off guard and not capable of garuding sf's. thus limited.

    LBJ is not going anywhere, even if he does head out to the WC. point is, the more sf defenders the better. lets not jump to conclusions again like everyone did with plumlee which has been reported but some on here he looks good with phx.

    cope has to get run at the sf position on the 2nd unit. you cannot take minutes away from scola, and mahinmi is playing his role very efficiently.

    if we cannot find mins for cope we gotta trade him for value (draft pick or a player on rook deal).

    i cant see his defense yet as that much of a detriment to the second unit at sf as long as he gives effort. we have to get him on the court.

    kyle korver cant defend a lick either but i think many on here would be content with him as the backup sf.

  17. #36
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,303
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Think Bird sees Cope as our SF off the bench with not being able to afford Danny and Lance next season?

  18. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think Bird sees Cope as our SF off the bench with not being able to afford Danny and Lance next season?
    I hope not.

  19. #38
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think Bird sees Cope as our SF off the bench with not being able to afford Danny and Lance next season?
    Im wavering on how much lance is gonna get. all the time teams sign good players from good teams to find out they were better due to the team they played on and not as great a player outside the specific organization.

    moreover, lance played like an emotional kid Saturday. of our starting lineup, his immaturity is still an issue. notice i don't say that about paul George and they are the same age appox. i realize its always just the dawg in lance, but things like the mano de mano w OJ the other nite is not acceptable. he is in the pros now not HS. time he start acting like it if he wants to earn a significant contract someday.

    with that said. Bird will not let them both walk. one will stay. the ? marks are dannys knees and lances immaturity.

    if they both want to go elsewhere and lose so be it. Bird will find us a wing. those guys are replaceable.

    not to switch topics, but without looking tooo much into this... i think rudy gay and paul George would be a great wing combo. hell may even consider dealing both lance and danny for gay. again, just based on one game the other nite and limited info. not sure how well he defends but i would like those two as my wings for the next decade (if Gay can defend).

    cope is a 3/4 off the bench. that's is role and he is 20X the player GG was for us last year.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:


  21. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if they both want to go elsewhere and lose so be it. Bird will find us a wing. those guys are replaceable.
    Heck, depending on their progression between now and next year we might already have their replacements in Orlando and Solo. especially if Solo can get himself a 3point shot.

  22. #40
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing about Cope that had surprised me is that he actually has a pretty solid dribble/drive game if he is given the opportunity.

    In the Chicago game he got right to the rim on one or two occasions because the defense closed too hard on him.

    This, if harnessed correctly, could shore up a weakness in our offense. Just my 2c.
    It has been noted when we signed him that he can do more things than shoot the 3.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  24. #41
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has been noted when we signed him that he can do more things than shoot the 3.
    Maybe as an obscure footnote. All I remember when reading quotes from the FO and such was "shooting, shooter."

  25. #42
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe as an obscure footnote. All I remember when reading quotes from the FO and such was "shooting, shooter."
    anyone that watched knicks vs pacers should not really be taken too off guard by this guys ability to drive. i don't think he has any post game. but he essentially is a poor mans danny granger. not a knock on cope, more of a compliment.

    copes probably the better shooter by far (from the limited game film ive seen).

  26. #43
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe as an obscure footnote. All I remember when reading quotes from the FO and such was "shooting, shooter."
    I didn't mean that it was mentioned by our FO. Allow me to rephrase and make my post a bit more clear:

    It was noted by several posters in this site that Copeland was more than a 3 point shooter when we signed him
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  28. #44
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't think he has any post game.
    He was able to use a nice post-up game in Europe. He has a decent right hook and his footwork isn't bad. I just don't know if he is strong enough to back down NBA 4s.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  30. #45
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was able to use a nice post-up game in Europe. He has a decent right hook and his footwork isn't bad. I just don't know if he is strong enough to back down NBA 4s.
    well unless were playing JOB ball with the "stretch 4" Copes game is suitable to a sf offensively but defensively suited for a pf. pretty much the only knock on him i see. he can shoot and drive efficiently. he should be able to guard most other teams backup sfs. obviously rotations may be an issue.

    this will be interesting to see how Vogel uses cope. i think u got to find him minutes in the 2nd unit (barring significant mismatch).

    i trust Coach Vogel and staff.


    this has to be the deepest pacer team ive ever seen.

  31. #46
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well unless were playing JOB ball with the "stretch 4" Copes game is suitable to a sf offensively but defensively suited for a pf. pretty much the only knock on him i see. he can shoot and drive efficiently. he should be able to guard most other teams backup sfs. obviously rotations may be an issue.

    this will be interesting to see how Vogel uses cope. i think u got to find him minutes in the 2nd unit (barring significant mismatch).

    i trust Coach Vogel and staff.


    this has to be the deepest pacer team ive ever seen.
    Copeland's best defensive position is certainly PF. He isn't quick enough to keep up with NBA SFs on the perimeter in the defensive end.

    Offensively, he should be able to post-up and shoot over against several back-up SFs but I think that his speed against PFs could give us an advantage as well. But Scola has to get PT as well.

    I trust Vogel as well and we have enough options in our line-ups to have Cope be a SF offensively and a PF defensively. Frank will work something out if need be.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  32. #47
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't mean that it was mentioned by our FO. Allow me to rephrase and make my post a bit more clear:

    It was noted by several posters in this site that Copeland was more than a 3 point shooter when we signed him

    he is primarily a 3 pt shooter. a cold blooded one. this guys like korver is. maybe better. cope is dangerous. if we can hide his defensive inefficiencies our second unit is the best in league.

    still want a third big for the postseason. now if we coulda landed plumlee in the draft. damn. with that said, sounds like the plumlee we traded away would be nice to get back as well.

    back to cope.

    the dude is a cold blooded assassain. if we got him instead of GG last year, this team wins +7 in games.

    GG was so bad. was that a Walsh signing. seems like it, being GG was in BKLYN. GG was not a fit for this team at all.


    with Danny out lets see what we got in Cope now with the second unit.

  33. #48
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Copeland's best defensive position is certainly PF. He isn't quick enough to keep up with NBA SFs on the perimeter in the defensive end.

    Offensively, he should be able to post-up and shoot over against several back-up SFs but I think that his speed against PFs could give us an advantage as well. But Scola has to get PT as well.

    I trust Vogel as well and we have enough options in our line-ups to have Cope be a SF offensively and a PF defensively. Frank will work something out if need be.
    damn, if we had hansbrough it would have been perfect! lol. hansbrough never could guard centers, reason he will never be Jeff Foster.

    hansbro could guard SFs tho. woulda been perfect.


    im very very cool w Scola. if we cant find room for Copeland we may as well deal him. my goodness the options for this team come the trade deadline.. i don't even wanna read this board until after all the reports. esp if Grangers playing well.

    should be a fun season.


    LEGEND FOR EXEC OF THE YEAR!!

    GO PACERS

  34. #49
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he is primarily a 3 pt shooter. a cold blooded one. this guys like korver is. maybe better. cope is dangerous. if we can hide his defensive inefficiencies our second unit is the best in league.
    Oh, I agree that he is primarily a 3 pt shooter. And a great one at that too. All I'm saying is that he can score from 2 as well. He is not like Novak that will not do anything unless he has an open 3. That's my point
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  36. #50
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Incorporating Copeland

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    damn, if we had hansbrough it would have been perfect! lol. hansbrough never could guard centers, reason he will never be Jeff Foster.

    hansbro could guard SFs tho. woulda been perfect.
    Yeah, Tyler has some nice foot speed. He could do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    im very very cool w Scola. if we cant find room for Copeland we may as well deal him. my goodness the options for this team come the trade deadline.. i don't even wanna read this board until after all the reports. esp if Grangers playing well.
    Yeah, Scola is very nice. We have several options so we can mix and match
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •