Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Postgame against bulls. 11/16/2013. Its just the first lost in a regular season 82 games

Default Re: Postgame against bulls. 11/16/2013. Its just the first lost in a regular season 82 games

If I can quote the great Rachel: "Hey, just so you know: it's not that common, it doesn't happen to every guy, and it is a big deal!

A team with title hopes just not showing up ?? And not fighting to get back into the game ?? Against a division rival that also has title hopes ??

Sorry - I can't join the Sunshine Sally brigade that's brushing this game off. Roy was the only one that seemed to know there was a game last nite. And if it wasn't for Copeland showing a little fire, this is a 30 point loss. I would have felt better with a close loss. Maybe the guys got a little full of themselves, watched SportsCenter, listened to the radio and heard all the talk about them.

Some folks say it's OK. I'll just disagree. Even if it was only momentary, a loss like that shows a lack of focus. And while the first 9 games showed what this group is capable of, so did the 10th.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Postgame against bulls. 11/16/2013. Its just the first lost in a regular season 82 games

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I can quote the great Rachel: "Hey, just so you know: it's not that common, it doesn't happen to every guy, and it is a big deal!

A team with title hopes just not showing up ?? And not fighting to get back into the game ?? Against a division rival that also has title hopes ??

Sorry - I can't join the Sunshine Sally brigade that's brushing this game off. Roy was the only one that seemed to know there was a game last nite. And if it wasn't for Copeland showing a little fire, this is a 30 point loss. I would have felt better with a close loss. Maybe the guys got a little full of themselves, watched SportsCenter, listened to the radio and heard all the talk about them.

Some folks say it's OK. I'll just disagree. Even if it was only momentary, a loss like that shows a lack of focus. And while the first 9 games showed what this group is capable of, so did the 10th.
    Hmm I'm not sure I agree with us now showing up - I think that the Bulls happened to have a very very good shooting night where there wasn't much we could do about it. We could throw all the bodies we wanted at their players and they were still gonna put up shots. I think that as a result our young players got flustered and began forcing, but I think thats very different from not showing up. I'm not saying that that makes it acceptable, but its important to not get too high or low after a win (unless its championship game...or something like that) I'm just saying take it for what it is and move on. The Bulls will not do that consistently although they are a good team.
    follow me @KeifDye - lets talk Pacers!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We weren't going to go 82-0, so I wouldn't read too much into this one. It would've been a very tough game had we been undefeated or not. Let's start another win streak!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We won at our place they won are their place. That's all you can ask for. Time to move on to NYC
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Pacers needed this reality check.

I also hate all the complaining for fouls. Just play the game. Expect no calls!

Need more hustle. Bulls are over zealous and just beat the Pacers to loose balls cause the Pacers just stand around and watch the ball.

More Cope, less Hill.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Vogel needs to figure out how to get Lance going early. For whatever reason, whenever he struggles early in the game, he checks out mentally for the rest of the game. We need to run plays specifically for Lance to get him some early baskets
    David "And One" West

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

One of the things that always leaves me perturbed, even if we win big, is if the free throw attempts are low. It should be one of the ways we can win or stay in games, especially as a slower paced team that has size. It's something we are going to have to claw and fight for during every playoff game. Maybe that's why I'm not so keen to harp on the chirping at refs, though it has to be part of a strategy that pays dividends down the road.

Oh, and free Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    LANCE needs to figure out how to get Lance going early. For whatever reason, whenever he struggles early in the game, he checks out mentally for the rest of the game.
    Fixed. I think coming out mentally prepared is on the player, not the coach

Edit: I think we do a decent job at getting Lance some looks early on, he just needs to convert those like he did earlier in the season.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 11-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I think we were just really tired, Lance had two air balls. Although David West really needs finish better at the Rim.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Oh, and free Ian!
    For what? To get velcro mittens?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Lance was awful from the opening tip.... he put up some really dumb shots early.., even when he got good looks and took a good shot he was throwing up bricks.

Paul was missing badly too... short arming them or banging back iron... gotta put this one behind them.

The Bulls looked like they took a page right out of the Miami playbook vs Indiana... harass the ball handler whoever it is.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireTheCoach For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    One of the things that always leaves me perturbed, even if we win big, is if the free throw attempts are low. It should be one of the ways we can win or stay in games, especially as a slower paced team that has size. It's something we are going to have to claw and fight for during every playoff game. Maybe that's why I'm not so keen to harp on the chirping at refs, though it has to be part of a strategy that pays dividends down the road.

Oh, and free Ian!
    I really think that the Refs swallowed their Whistles on both sides of the court for both Teams. It seems like there was a lot of contact that should have drawn foul calls. It's just that PG24 and Lance complained more about it to the Refs and let it affect their games whereas the Bulls just maintained their focus.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    Lance was awful from the opening tip.... he put up some really dumb shots early.., even when he got good looks and took a good shot he was throwing up bricks.

Paul was missing badly too... short arming them or banging back iron... gotta put this one behind them.

The Bulls looked like they took a page right out of the Miami playbook vs Indiana... harass the ball handler whoever it is.
    The Pacers do the same thing with PG24 harassing DRose. The difference this time is that PG24 had to defend Deng who was hitting his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    We won at our place they won are their place. That's all you can ask for. Time to move on to NYC
    HOW the 2 teams won matters too. The game at BLF was a 5 point game with 5 minutes to go. Last nite, the Bulls got a 10 point lead on the 1st hoop in the 2nd and that was it. Game over. The Pacers were never in the game from then on.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Hopefully we'll learn from that game. We should definitely be motivated from it as we should be completely embarrassed. We could have been tired, they played out their asses, and we had a really bad night.

Still, I sensed we did not have the will to focus on playing together and muster up the intensity to even try to resist. I mean okay lose by 14, but compete for some of it. We did much worse and competed for virtually none of it. I expect more out of a team with title aspirations.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

HOW the 2 teams won matters too. The game at BLF was a 5 point game with 5 minutes to go. Last nite, the Bulls got a 10 point lead on the 1st hoop in the 2nd and that was it. Game over. The Pacers were never in the game from then on.
    I don't think you would care about HOW the 2 teams won if we had won last night and lost a while ago. The Bulls are a ridiculously bad three point shooting team, and they were shooting like 9/11 from 3 at one point. If they don't shoot so uncharacteristically well, the game is much closer.

We're still 1-1 against the Bulls, and 8-0 against everybody else so far. The 1 loss doesn't mean more than any of the 9 wins.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

That's way over simplified. If championship contenders don't do this, then no NBA champion should ever have been blown out in any game in the playoffs, much less the regular season. That simply is not the case and never has been.

I don't think anyone is saying to ignore it. I think people are saying not to suddenly decide this team is in big trouble or even that the team should stop considering itself a contender. Contenders have ups and downs - the thing that makes them champions is that they learn from the downs.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Bulls shot out of their minds, but I thought Copeland couldn't shoot the ball #narrative

This game was huge for Rose from a confidence standpoint, but the fact is he still hasn't had a good game by Rose standards. Yes, he was 6/11 from 3, but he was 1/5 on two point shots, I'm certain Thibs still finds that not ideal. He is still not showing the explosiveness to get to the hole.

Also what is this now, the 3rd or 4th game against Chi in a row where Roy has outplayed Noah? That matchup used to be soundly in Joakim's favor, but now Roy just out muscles him in the post. The Big Dawg was the only guy who was locked in for 48 minutes last night.

We'll be fine, we were going to lose at some point. Wish it hadn't been to Chi but the fact is this game has been circled on the calendar for them I sure, and they really couldn't allow us to jump out to a 5-0 start in the division especially since they don't see us again until March so if we had won this game and then swept our other division games until then it could have been big trouble for them.

This was a bad game for Scola and he stil lmanaged to shoot 50%. What a gigantic upgrade. CJ however really struggled, basically 14 minutes of negative from him

Also, Luol Deng is great. He is their best player right now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The only really significant thing to me is what the Bulls defense did to our offense. They did to us what we do to most teams, manhandle, stifle everything we were trying to do and take the will away from us.

Obviously if our defense in this game had been as good as it can be, then the game would have been different
    Yeah, a couple early 3s would have helped too.

I would be a lot more worried if we were tlaking about how the Bulls beat us senseless with Rose getting to the hoop at will, but he didn't. In fact, even with his ridiculous shooting from outside he still couldn't manage 50% from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It was the end of a back to back, on the road, against a very good team who just so happens to lie through their teeth when they say we're not a rival and we just beat them down bad. I saw this as a probable loss, but was hoping against it. PG hasn't looked as good lately and looks tired.

DRose shot nothing but 3s. That was odd to me.
    I agree. I thought I saw a lot of tired legs. Playing the second night of a back to back on the road is always tough and the Pacers had already won those types of games twice this year. IF we had been able to do it a third time, against a division rival who really need the win no less and is a very good home team, that would have been extremely impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Last night was one of those "everything looks like a disaster while the game is going on" nights for me, followed by a "pick it up and move on" morning.

I will say that I knew we were in trouble when the first series of shots all came short with almost no lift, from Lance and Paul in particular.
    Agreed, and this is where I would have gone to Cope earlier. Solo came in first for Lance and looked completely overwhelmed. I think had Cope been first off the bench with his offensive boost we may have been able to stem the tide, but that would have been a truly clairvoyant piece of coaching by Frank.

Hopefully though we are now more in tune with the fact that we have a really great shooter who could give us an offensive boost earlier in games on nights like last night especially since Chicago was clearly willing to give us the 3 and deny our mid range game and drives.

Nine game sample size vs. one game right now...

The Pacers were already up 14 on the Bulls in the second half when the big run happened at BLF. What I mean by that is the score was 77-69 at the 5:16 mark of the 4th quarter, we had already outscored them by 14 in the second half, and would go on at one point to be up by 19 which means that at that point we had outscored them by TWENTY FIVE in the second half. We ended up only outscoring them by 23 in the second half, but that is a butt kicking on par with what they did to us in the first half in Chicago. So the games really weren't as different as you make them sound. The teams just dished out their butt kickings in different halves.

They outscored us 60-35 in Chi in the first half.

We outscored them 60-37 in Ind in the second half.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

I was going to say something, but I think Joe is the only person allowed to post now.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post: