Thread: Chalmers suspended one game for swinging forearm at Dirk

Default Chalmers suspended one game for swinging forearm at Dirk

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-fouls-video/

Mario Chalmers suspended one game for swinging forearm at Dirk Nowitzki (VIDEO)

When you think of the league’s most physical players, Mario Chalmers isn’t a name that immediately jumps to the top of the list.

But after his ejection on Friday for swinging a forearm to the face of Dirk Nowitzki, Chalmers has racked up enough flagrant foul points in the early part of the season that the next one will land him a league-mandated suspension.

And that would be on top of the one-game suspension that was handed down by the league on Saturday. Chalmers will miss Miami’s next game in Charlotte against the Bobcats.

From Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:

With Friday night’s ejection for his forearm to the head of Dallas Mavericks forwardDirk Nowitzki, Chalmers now has four points in the NBA’s flagrant-foul system. By rule, a player is suspended for the next game once he exceeds five points.

With each Flagrant 1 foul counting for one point and each Flagrant 2 counting as two, Chalmers put himself on the precipice of suspension with Friday’s Flagrant 2, a call that came eight days after Chalmers was assessed a Flagrant 2 for an elbow to the neck of Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin.

Chalmers seemed to be earnest in explaining what happened. To hear him tell it, he was simply trying to free himself from Dalmbert, and the shot to Nowitzki was simply collateral damage.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

“Dalembert had my arm so I had to get my arm free,” he said of his swinging motion. “There was nothing intentional about it. I didn’t even see Dirk.” Chalmers tried to tell the same to the officials before he left the floor. ”I just told them, ‘Look at the replay and look at Dalembert holding my arm,’ ” he said. “That’s all I said to them.”

The hit on Griffin was absolutely a flagrant two — Chalmers left his feet and delivered a forearm to Griffin’s neck, so it’s tough to buy any excuses there. The one that caught Nowitzki could indeed have been accidental, and the explanation Chalmers gave seems to make sense.

But clearly, the league didn’t see it the same way.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chalmers suspended one game for swinging forearm at Dirk

Excessive. Looked like Dalembert hooked Chalmers' arm and he was fighting through it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As i said in the other thread, for all the crap they let this team get away with its about time they got dinged.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Excessive. Looked like Dalembert hooked Chalmers' arm and he was fighting through it.
    You don't fight through screens by throwing your elbows upwards. You're taught to fight through screens by getting lower, not standing up and flailing your arms.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You don't fight through screens by throwing your elbows upwards. You're taught to fight through screens by getting lower, not standing up and flailing your arms.
    It was an illegal screen... Dalembert hooked his arm and Chalmers was struggling to get out.

So what if it was? That doesn't justify throwing your elbows at a 7fters head.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I've watched it a couple times, and it's really hard to see it as unintentional.

I have no doubt he was surprised by the Flagrant 2, though. He thought he could pass if off as part of the play. And it's not unreasonable of him to think so... he's been watching Dwayne Wade get away with that crap for years.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That whole team's dirty. Any penalties levied at them are not enough.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    So what if it was? That doesn't justify throwing your elbows at a 7fters head.
    Agree to disagree, I suppose. I don't think he was "throwing his elbows" at Dirk... I think he was trying to get out of Dalembert's grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Agree to disagree, I suppose. I don't think he was "throwing his elbows" at Dirk... I think he was trying to get out of Dalembert's grasp.
    No matter what his intentions were, his attempt to "disengage" from Dalembert was reckless, and caught an opposing player with an elbow above the neck.

The extra game was based on accrued points, that included the other "accidental" elbow he threw at Blake Griffin.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post: