23 26.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Paul George Era exceed Miller Era

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: Will Paul George Era exceed Miller Era

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    do you think the nBA would allow that?
    Well, the NBA has no problem getting cities to subsidize their teams, so why not?

I mean, I don't know if it will have to be dressed up as "revenue assistance" or some such, but has the NBA ever turned down an opportunity for free public money?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

If Reggie needed to and was asked to do so, or if he played on a team with a style like Golden State, he probably could have easily averaged over 25ppg for his career while maintaining his efficiency. Not many players in league history were capable of putting a team completely on their backs when called upon. People calling JO and Granger better than Reggie??? Get the **** Out with that horseshit.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Not the original question, but for the record, Paul George is already a far better player than Reggie Miller ever was.
    are we comparing regular season or playoffs stats. Reggie was one helluva a player come postseason. had 31 been aggressive regular as he was postseason 31's stats would have been significantly higher. Reggies durability and consistent hard are to duplicate if not impossible.

bottom line, 31 was one helluva player in the postseason. didn't 31 average about +5 shots in the playoffs. unbelievable player. if him and Mark Jackson played together entire careers.

Paul still gotta lotta ways to go as evidenced by the Bulls game. However, I think we all know this young is still relatively young. hell scola is 27 right. i don't want that cat leaving this team. he is a winner. guess that's why Bird was after him for so long.

skys the limit for this team. Pacers can win it all this year and I would not be surprised to see Simon open up the check book a little more give Bird some leesh to build a team that can sweep the LeHeat.

Fans gotta show up though. A Banner will take care of attendance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    If Reggie needed to and was asked to do so, or if he played on a team with a style like Golden State, he probably could have easily averaged over 25ppg for his career while maintaining his efficiency. Not many players in league history were capable of putting a team completely on their backs when called upon. People calling JO and Granger better than Reggie??? Get the **** Out with that horseshit.
    Miller's legacy will remain well above how we might remember JO or Granger. Granger will probably have a better legacy than JO, particularly if he returns to 80-90% the same player.

JO will, somewhat unfairly, be remembered as an injured player and a player involved in the brawl...and a player that met his potential but not for nearly that long.

Granger's legacy is still somewhat unknown but he never did have Miller's pure talent.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    are we comparing regular season or playoffs stats. Reggie was one helluva a player come postseason. had 31 been aggressive regular as he was postseason 31's stats would have been significantly higher. Reggies durability and consistent hard are to duplicate if not impossible.

bottom line, 31 was one helluva player in the postseason. didn't 31 average about +5 shots in the playoffs. unbelievable player. if him and Mark Jackson played together entire careers.

Paul still gotta lotta ways to go as evidenced by the Bulls game. However, I think we all know this young is still relatively young. hell scola is 27 right. i don't want that cat leaving this team. he is a winner. guess that's why Bird was after him for so long.

skys the limit for this team. Pacers can win it all this year and I would not be surprised to see Simon open up the check book a little more give Bird some leesh to build a team that can sweep the LeHeat.

Actually Scola is 33, a few months older than David West . We're pretty young, but we're pretty well stocked with veterans as well. I mean, George and Lance, our two young studs, are in their fourth NBA seasons now.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Actually Scola is 33, a few months older than David West . We're pretty young, but we're pretty well stocked with veterans as well. I mean, George and Lance, our two young studs, are in their fourth NBA seasons now.
    What is amazing is that odds are very good that Paul and possibly Lance will get much better from where they are today. Hibbert is getting better and Hill seems better. When these guys are vets, LeBron isn't going to be the same player.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'm not comparing any stats. I'm saying Paul George is better right now than Reggie Miller was at any point in his career. And it isn't really close. Also, for the record, Reggie Miller's postseason stats are nearly identical to his regular season stats.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 11-19-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo

The Miller era is just special as it is. There's a big difference between this 2013 Pacers and the Miller-led era. And yes, I don't call this the Paul George era (don't get me wrong, I am a BIG fan of George) but this is the Roy Hibbert era.
    No matter how good you are, there's still a lot of luck involved. - Reggie Miller

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

The Miller era is just special as it is. There's a big difference between this 2013 Pacers and the Miller-led era. And yes, I don't call this the Paul George era (don't get me wrong, I am a BIG fan of George) but this is the Roy Hibbert era.
    No matter how good you are, there's still a lot of luck involved. - Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollar View Post
    That's a better way of looking at it IMO.
    Roy has been the only player to give it his all every game since the all star break last year while Paul has taken a lot of nights off. Take Roy off this team and I doubt to make the playoffs. Take Paul off the team and I think we'd still make it. Roy just has a bigger impact on the game and this team's identity then Paul does.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    That's a better way of looking at it IMO. Paul has taken a lot of nights off.
    I can't help it. I really, really, really, really, really hate this phrasing when applied to a professional athlete. A bad night is no more "taking a night off" for an NBA player than a bad day at work is goofing off for anyone. You might as well go back to Roy's offense prior to the All-Star break and blame it on him not caring until he thought he might have a chance for a post-season award, while using the wrist as an "excuse".

Yes, players have nights they don't play as hard, but I think those are few and far between, not "lots of" nights in a season.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I can't help it. I really, really, really, really, really hate this phrasing when applied to a professional athlete. A bad night is no more "taking a night off" for an NBA player than a bad day at work is goofing off for anyone. You might as well go back to Roy's offense prior to the All-Star break and blame it on him not caring until he thought he might have a chance for a post-season award, while using the wrist as an "excuse".

Yes, players have nights they don't play as hard, but I think those are few and far between, not "lots of" nights in a season.
    I go back to the end of the season last year when we were pushing for the #2 seed. Paul had a lot of games were he just didn't seem to give the effort we know he was capable of during that stretch while Hibbert stepped his game up. Call it a series of bad games if you want but his scoring dropped off as well as his defensive intensity. Hibbert stepped his game up in both areas and really carried the team. That's a time when you see superstars pick their games up. I don't like Melo but he took his game to another level at that point.
    I'll say Paul did seem to find his game when we moved into the playoffs. I'm not hating on Paul, we're lucky to have him but this is his biggest flaw right now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keeping PG, Hibbert, Lance, and Hill all together will be a tough one. West, let's face it, has 2-3 productive years left as a starter. So he will have to be replaced. Another real trick is keeping a productive bench, because there won't be a lot of bench dollars to spend. It's a different situation than Reggie faced in that regard.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    far too early
    how bout now?

I think the George era will exceed the Miller era. George is about to bring us our first championship this season!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

If the Paul George era hangs a championship banner this year, it has already exceeded the 18 year Miller era.

George is already a better overall player and a far more dynamic player. That being said, Reggie was "the man". He loved the big moment whether it was Madison Square Garden or going toe to toe with Michael Jordan. He probably could've put up more gaudy stats, but he was incredibly efficient with both his shot selection and attempts. Paul has shown flashes last season, whether it was his heroics in the ECF or going toe to toe with another all-time great in King James....but he'll have to keep it up and continue to build on it. I think he will.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

As far as actual on-court accomplishments, I believe this current group could easily surpass Reggie and the gang.

As far as importance, won't ever come close. Maybe it's just my generation, but even multiple championships wouldn't surpass what the 90's era meant.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    As far as importance, won't ever come close. Maybe it's just my generation, but even multiple championships wouldn't surpass what the 90's era meant.
    I completely disagree with this. Nostalgia is clouding how important a title is.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I completely disagree with this. Nostalgia is clouding how important a title is.

Yeah, I'm as nostalgic about the 90's as anyone else, but this era could definitely surpass it. The 90's put the NBA Pacers on the map, but all of that goodwill was essentially lost from 04-10. Let's face it, by 2010 this franchise was pretty dead and irrelevant. Terrible basketball team and no one in the community cared about them. This current group has completely saved the franchise in more ways than one.

It's obviously way too early but:

1. I think Paul George has more physical tools than Reggie Miller, and the team overall is probably better.
    2. The Reggie Miller era lasted a long time, especially if you consider the pre and post Dale Davis for JO trades one "era." Personally I'd count that as two separate ones, but pretty remarkable to be consistently contending, minus a few off years, for that long. How long will this team keep together and stay competitive? Hard to tell. They're young, but there's free agency and a whole host of other factors.
    3. If this team wins a title, obviously all bets are off. If they win one title, and then for whatever reason never really contend again I'm sure we can have an argument, but it's not like this team was built like the Florida Marlins' World Series teams. This team has been built over time with players developing as Pacers. If they don't, then it'll be hard to displace Reggie Miller in a lot of fans' minds.

So to me it really comes down to whether the Pacers win a championship. Unless you're saying they beat the Heat, and dominate the Eastern Conference for several years but can't quite get by whoever comes out of the West, Buffalo Bills style.

But now I'm making myself depressed for no reason so I'll end and say that Paul George has the tools to be the best Pacer in the NBA era (I'll leave the ABA to those who remember it) if he continues to play at this level for awhile, but it'll be hard to match Reggie for longevity.
    Last edited by Ransom; 01-17-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Roy Hibbert > Dale Davis
    Rik Smits > David West
    Mark Jackson > George Hill
    Jalen Rose > Lance Stephenson
    Paul George > Reggie Miller

Very close call....
    Why are you comparing a C to a PF for both Roy, Dale, Rik and David?

Roy Hibbert > Rik Smits
    Dale Davis > David West

Lance > Jalen
    All day!
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

how bout now?
    We've only played the first half of one regular season since his comment, so yeah, it's still far too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    As far as actual on-court accomplishments, I believe this current group could easily surpass Reggie and the gang.

So few words, but such a concise and, for me, accurate meaning. Being around for every Pacers game, I didn't think anything would ever compare to those old ABA teams. But, of course Reggie and his 90s teammates deservedly wiggled their way into my heart. They re-established a long-gone Pacers standard for how the game should be played, good teams and teammates, and quality entertainment. It would be impossible not to love them because they made the Pacers relevant again.

Now, enter the present. Apparently, this old fart's heart has got room enough to accommodate three eras of Pacers basketball, because these guys have snuck up on me as well. And, they have exceeded mere relevance. They are setting a new standard not just for Pacers teams, but for the entire NBA regarding comradary, synergy and putting in full effort at both ends of the floor. Not many teams throughout NBA history can make this claim. And most have ended up champions.

Our present regime may very well end up earning us that championship. But for us that have been around for a while, I suppose the Reggie teams and Bird will remain our sentimental favorites because they paved the way for winning Pacers teams in the NBA. They established the standard. Now it's up to the current guys to establish a new high-water mark.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching pg show love to miller after the game was special, I love this team
    Impossible Is Nothing