Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possibly, but not the odds on favorites. Generally, the best team always wins, and I'm suggesting they won't be the best team.
    We will not be the odds on favorites with Danny either. We will have to win first before anyone says that we are the odds on favorites.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Automatically treating Danny like his calf was a grade 2 strain, without even looking at the MRI results showed they're being ultra-conservative with Danny. This is just more of that, IMHO.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Offenses almost always start slow at the beginning of a season. There are a few teams putting up a lot of points right now, but the execution starts getting better in late December/early January.

Look at how bad our offense was early last year. By playoff time it was one of the top two in the league. And our offense by default will be better this season with everyones' improvements and by replacing two of our worst offensive players.
    In some cases it is a matter of offenses adjusting to defenses. In others, it is a matter of defenses slacking off somewhat during the long grind of the season. I think the Pacers' improvement last year was pretty much Roy working out of his injury so that we were able to establish an inside-out game, which isn't something you can count on offenses to do.

As far as Danny goes, this is just weird. I'm not an injury expert, but how will Danny ever play if he's shut down every time he experiences soreness?
    For a soft tissue injury, soreness is an indication it isn't healed yet. They don't want the strain to get worse and force the kind of in-and-out that will cause comment (and be something like GHill's hip).

The whole thing has been weird. The dissonance between Danny saying "I'm fine, I'll play in a couple of days" and Frank simultaneously saying "this could be more serious than we thought" two weeks ago was strange.
    Danny's talking from the perspective of having played on a strain before and that it would be no big deal. Frank is talking from the perspective of having everything totally healed before Danny moves forward.

At a certain level I think they are being a little too conservative. I think if it's an injury most players would tough out during a season, they should let Danny decide.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    We will not be the odds on favorites with Danny either. We will have to win first before anyone says that we are the odds on favorites.

Exactly. Us not being the odds on favorites has nothing to do with Granger and everything to do with Lebron James.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    For a soft tissue injury, soreness is an indication it isn't healed yet. They don't want the strain to get worse and force the kind of in-and-out that will cause comment (and be something like GHill's hip).
    Could be. Or it could just be typical soreness associated with phsyical activitiy after long periods of inactivity, which also can lead to soft tissue injuries if you keep pushing it. Which is probably what happened with his calf to begin with.

Whenever I go long periods without playing, and then play, my calves and quads are both usually really sore the next day. They feel like a big ball of knots.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-13-2013 at 03:17 PM.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. There won't be a time when he's not sore if he keeps getting held out.

He's doing other exercises but it's not the same as sprinting and cutting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we're all way too deep into this lol. Before we know it we'll forget all this even happened where we were freaking out because he's back, in decent game shape, and contributing to the team's offense and defense! (I hope lol)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

I'm going to the Pacers-Celtics game next Friday. Do I pack the Granger jersey or not?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure they are better with him. Hear me out. Is there one shot you want him taking away from guys who are getting shots now? His team defense has always been average at best. He has a chance to help Paul not have to guard the big 3s as much, but for me thats it. At this point he's a new player to the mix that could possibly take away from the greater whole. I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but I feel like he might very well hurt the team, for sure in the short term if he comes back, possibly even beyond. I hope I'm wrong, but I am 1.) skeptical he'll play another game, but really not more than a handful. 2.) He even makes them better.

Think of it this way. When he plays somewhere else next year and he has to face PG, don't you think PG will absolutely kill him on both sides of the floor. I do.

I've said it before, I hope he comes back, get 10 pts and 20 mins a game allowing PG to not get beat up as much, but I really really doubt that's even possible at this point.

Answer to the coming question: No, not because of the soreness, but because of everything in his career to this point, makes me think this.

Answer to another coming question: He's an average team defender because he gets back doored cuz he's not paying attention, he gives up an offensive rebound because he's not paying attention, and he'll be out of position to help a few times a game.

3rd Answer: Not hating, I hope for the best for him, but moreso for the Pacers. I think this is just the reality of where we are right now. I'd rather have a role player, athlete aka Solomon Hill/OJ or a dynamic fearless playmaker aka Lance than 30 year old, 18 months off Danny at this point.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'm not sure they are better with him. Hear me out. Is there one shot you want him taking away from guys who are getting shots now?
    Yeah actually there are 6 shots per game out there that I'd like to see him take away from two specific players.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2013...113f4v-3039189

Danny speaking to the media after practice today.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'm going to the Pacers-Celtics game next Friday. Do I pack the Granger jersey or not?
    Wow, didn't realize the security at the arena would be so tight that you have to smuggle it in that way.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2013...113f4v-3039189

Danny speaking to the media after practice today.
    Great inteview. I'll bet he's practicing again Thursday.
    Sounds like he's still on schedule to return next week. I was hoping he could make a debut on sat. against the Bulls but maybe we'll see him Wed. at NY.

Yeah actually there are 6 shots per game out there that I'd like to see him take away from two specific players.
    I can't think of who, Ian and Solomon maybe?

Solomon and OJ.

I'm really baffled as to why you'd chose either one of them over Danny. For the sake of the argument, I'll concede the Lance or Danny starting discussion. Danny is 100x better offensively than either player. And even if he plays average defense, it's still an upgrade as to what OJ gives you. He plays good positional defense, but it makes Lance guard 3 so he's out of position, and Danny is a by far better rebounder. I get the argument for next season, due to salary cap ramificiations, but not this season.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I can't think of who, Ian and Solomon maybe?
    Hans Solo and Lando Clarissian

Seriously, if Danny is healthy do you not think he is better than those two? If he gets anywhere close to as good as he was prior to the injury he is better than Hill and West. You are acting like he is some bench player who was on a crappy enough team to get a starting spot, not the player who lead this team to two playoff appearances, and was a big reason why we pushed the Heat so hard in our first series against them. We are talking about a guy who has been a top 20 to 40 player in the NBA for most of his career. Not a slightly better version of Orlando Johnson.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

This Pacers team just isn't complete without Danny Granger out there. He and Scola are going to develop a great 2 man game, and then you are gonna have Lance setting both of them up.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

You would rather have Solo out there?!?!? Over Granger?!?!?

Right now, Solo is a D league level, replacement level player. If Danny is healthy, like 50%, he would be a positive impact player.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm really baffled as to why you'd chose either one of them over Danny.
    You're baffled? Why? You have been a member of this forum way longer than me and even I have started to understand why some people believe that.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    You're baffled? Why? You have been a member of this forum way longer than me and even I have started to understand why some people believe that.

Sports Logo

Not sure if the Pacers can beat the Heat without Granger. This blows.
    I think that it's possible for the Pacers to beat the Heat withOUT Granger. But I like our chances better if he was playing against the Heat.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Not sure if the Pacers can beat the Heat without Granger. This blows.
    He'll be healed. Seems like the Pacers are being extra cautious. I don't blame them.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    In some cases it is a matter of offenses adjusting to defenses. In others, it is a matter of defenses slacking off somewhat during the long grind of the season. I think the Pacers' improvement last year was pretty much Roy working out of his injury so that we were able to establish an inside-out game, which isn't something you can count on offenses to do.

Danny's talking from the perspective of having played on a strain before and that it would be no big deal. Frank is talking from the perspective of having everything totally healed before Danny moves forward.

At a certain level I think they are being a little too conservative. I think if it's an injury most players would tough out during a season, they should let Danny decide.
    Wilson Chandler is coming back today. He was out with a calf strain all the preseason until today, that's about 6 weeks. Danny had a grade 2 strain which takes 3 to 6 weeks to heal.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Perceptions are going to be fluid from now through May, but at this point I feel like we have the offense to beat New York and/or Brooklyn, but it's going to be cutting it close with Chicago and Miami. With the Heat, we know Roy can put up above-average scoring performances, so there's that to consider, but Chicago may be the toughest opponent in terms of our ability to score.

Of course, the flip side to that is I think our defense will be more effective against Chicago than it will against Miami (because putting Paul George on Rose can really throw a wrench in their gears, whereas there is no way to stop LeBron).

It'll be very tough, but we're right there.
    Anyone know if it were reported the Pacers practiced some zone defense during training camp. I don't see the Pacers going to it much but as you mentioned there is no way to stop LeBron (at times). Not really advocating it but the last time LeBron was stopped it was by Dallas and that was the trump card.

Tough news regarding Granger. Its starting to feel like Bob Sanders to me. I hope Granger can play around 80% this season. He deserves the chance to play for this team as a contender.

You actually think Danny will only take 6 shots A game?! I don't see it, I'm ready for this circus to move on through.