Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1696

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

that's Pritchard slipping his wife some tongue behind Herbie in that gif btw. HOO AHH

"He doesn't work hard enough (in the offseason)," Bird said. "He's not a guy who'll push himself to the brink like a lot of our guys do. He works hard but he doesn't push himself. That's why he starts slow every year and he just works his way back. Now this year, he's been hurt, so it's a different deal."
    - Larry Bird, keeping it real.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Bird must be a Danny hater for pointing out the obvious smh

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's Pritchard slipping his wife some tongue behind Herbie in that gif btw. HOO AHH
    Looks like she might be kind of hot. Lucky guy.

I feel the same way, but don't Roy or David usually come out of the game first? If Ian and Luis continue to play well and we don't have an injury to speak of, I would expect to see Danny come in to relieve PG or Lance when the season gets down to the brass tacks. During the season if we continue to squad sub, 3 or 4 guys may come in at once.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance is always the first one subbed out. Then West and Hill. PG and Roy usually play the entire first

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"He doesn't work hard enough (in the offseason)," Bird said. "He's not a guy who'll push himself to the brink like a lot of our guys do. He works hard but he doesn't push himself. That's why he starts slow every year and he just works his way back. Now this year, he's been hurt, so it's a different deal."

When a top 5 all time player says this, it's noteworthy. Bird has succeeded as a player, coach, and executive, so I'm pretty sure that he know what it takes for the best to be the best.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

When a top 5 all time player says this, it's noteworthy. Bird has succeeded as a player, coach, and executive, so I'm pretty sure that he know what it takes for the best to be the best.
    Pretty sure Bird didn't mean much by it. Danny is one of Larry's guys. You don't become one of Larry's guys if you're a slacker. Even PG has commented on how hard DG work over the summer.

Larry's not going to trade Danny unless he gives him a reason to. Bird is a loyal guy. As long as Danny is helping the team Bird will make sure Danny gets to compete for a championship this year.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

Banned

"The slow start" myth has died with Bird comments too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    "The slow start" myth has died with Bird comments too.
    Eh, Danny's said it himself, too.

Anyway, interesting quote in there where "WE'RE NOT GOING INTO THE LUXURY TAX, PERIOD." has softened a bit.

Danny isn't (as far as we know) a diva like JO so it might be harder for Bird to be down on him like a JO, but this "Danny is Bird's guy" narrative has been more assumed (what that means over time) than validated. And that quote might be telling us that assumption is not as strong as believed.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    Pretty sure Bird didn't mean much by it. Danny is one of Larry's guys. You don't become one of Larry's guys if you're a slacker. Even PG has commented on how hard DG work over the summer.

Larry's not going to trade Danny unless he gives him a reason to. Bird is a loyal guy. As long as Danny is helping the team Bird will make sure Danny gets to compete for a championship this year.

I don't think anyone thinks that Bird is saying that DG is a "slacker". I think that a "slacker" is someone who is late for practice or gives a half a** effort in practice, aka someone who doesn't do what is required by the team. No one is saying that Danny hasn't done what is required by the team. What Bird is saying is that he hasn't pushed himself to the next level, i.e doing stuff on his own that isn't required by the team.

I'm not trying to kick mud on DG when he's had such bad luck over the last year. But Bird is the one who said this stuff, and the comments are very blunt and noteworthy. Can't just ignore them and sweep them under the rug. I certainly wouldn't ever question anyone's work ethic on my own because I as a fan have no clue what these guys do in their spare time. But Larry Bird does and he is the one who made the comments.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Contrasting what happened with Kobe - I'd say our award winning training staff proved why they're the best. It's hard to be cautious and patient when there is a lot of money on the line. I know Gramger isn't worth the money Kobe is, but I am certain the trainers in Indy would have done the same with a superstar.

I appreciate Bird's straight talk but I don't believe he should be giving anything negative about our players to the press in his position. It sounds like he may be a little frustrated with Grangers latest injury which is understandable but I doubt if he could have done anything different in preparing for this season when coming back from a surgery.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks that Bird is saying that DG is a "slacker". I think that a "slacker" is someone who is late for practice or gives a half a** effort in practice, aka someone who doesn't do what is required by the team. No one is saying that Danny hasn't done what is required by the team. What Bird is saying is that he hasn't pushed himself to the next level, i.e doing stuff on his own that isn't required by the team.

I'm not trying to kick mud on DG when he's had such bad luck over the last year. But Bird is the one who said this stuff, and the comments are very blunt and noteworthy. Can't just ignore them and sweep them under the rug. I certainly wouldn't ever question anyone's work ethic on my own because I as a fan have no clue what these guys do in their spare time. But Larry Bird does and he is the one who made the comments.
    Bird is normally pretty straightforward with his opinions and when he says something he means it. He can also be pretty rough (IMO unfair) on guys. When he's joking or not being serious it is quite obvious. That is Larry Bird. I suspect Granger's offseason work in recent years is not up to Bird's standards but it's not that Bird doesn't like his game or in-season effort.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Lance is always the first one subbed out. Then West and Hill. PG and Roy usually play the entire first
    Exactly. Lance is always the first one out because Frank wants him to play a lot with the 2nd unit.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Exactly. Lance is always the first one out because Frank wants him to play a lot with the 2nd unit.
    Did Frank say that, or are you just inferring it? It may be true because Lance can create for others so much better than any other Pacer. He has great chemistry with Scola.

That's not to say he isn't also critical to the first unit operating most efficiently. In fact, without Lance on the first unit I truly believe the Pacers are far more easy to defend closing out games.

Sports Logo

Another word that was impossible to use here without creating a lot of overreactions, yes he said that he was "one dimensional"

And this is Paul George's take on what DG is going to bring:

The highlighted part is interesting.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/grang...othing-changes
    Danny said what several people were saying as well. JOB forced him to play the way he did but he can do more things than he showed under JOB. Danny wasn't one dimensional under Vogel.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Did Frank say that, or are you just inferring it? It may be true because Lance can create for others so much better than any other Pacer. He has great chemistry with Scola.

That's not to say he isn't also critical to the first unit operating most efficiently. In fact, without Lance on the first unit I truly believe the Pacers are far more easy to defend closing out games.
    I'm inferring it because that's what I see on the court.

I never said that Lance is not critical to the first unit. Lance is one of our most important players this season. He has been seriously awesome.

What I was trying to say is your first paragraph. Lance can create for others better than anyone else on the team. His chemistry with Scola is amazing (same with his chemistry with West) and he is the player that can get the most out of our second unit.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I like that will Larry call out guys. If he did it all the time, it'd be a problem. And who knows - is this why trade talk has circled Granger? I never connected the dots of Danny's slow start. It makes sense and that is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I'm inferring it because that's what I see on the court.

I never said that Lance is not critical to the first unit. Lance is one of our most important players this season. He has been seriously awesome.

What I was trying to say is your first paragraph. Lance can create for others better than anyone else on the team. His chemistry with Scola is amazing (same with his chemistry with West) and he is the player that can get the most out of our first and second units.
    Agreed. I will only add one thing.

Another word that was impossible to use here without creating a lot of overreactions, yes he said that he was "one dimensional"

And this is Paul George's take on what DG is going to bring:

The highlighted part is interesting.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/grang...othing-changes
    Thanks, that's a good article, you should post the entire thing.

When a guy has a repetative use injury like Granger it is probably very tough to balance productive workouts with continued overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I think most of the early discussion and debate about Granger wasn't that he'd be able to help the team
    Really? Go read the first few pages of this thread again.

I will say, as somebody who wanted to see Danny start, that the best time to move him to the starting lineup was the beginning of the season. We're far enough in, and doing well enough, that you'd hate to make big changes now unless you're forced to.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Agreed. I will only add one thing.
    I think that PG and Roy can get the most out of our starting unit primarily due to their defensive chemistry.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014