Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

The better granger comes back it's better overall for the team, I trust Vogel to make the right choice, I don't even know which side is best. Both bring great strengths and both have weaknesses. It's a matter of seeing which fits best and that will only happen on the court.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that happens that could probably be the first time ever, how many players came back the same they were before after been out for that long? none? it would be a miracle if that happens.

By the way I'm seriously asking to see a list of older players that have been out for 19/20 months because of injury and came back to be the same.
    Andrew Bynum is playing pretty good for the Cavs at the moment.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we're talking old school, and this is before modern technology, Bernard King came back from a horrific injury, was gone/not the same for multiple seasons and was still a pretty good player towards the end of his career.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ( so that u can't be misquoted later in the season ) !!!!!

What expectations would u place on Granger to consider his return a "success" or "failure"?

Over the course of the season, my minimal expectations from Granger is that he will be able to provide 20 to 24 mpg of consistent offensive and slightly above average defensive contributions as the 1st Wing off the bench. He'd take the majority of the minutes allocated to OJ/Solo/Copeland but I do not expect him to be anything more than the 3rd to 5th scoring option on the floor. I know...this is kind of obvious....but I think it's important to note.

Any contributions that he can provide beyond what I stated above is "icing on the cake". I think ( but more hope ) that he is capable of contributing at a "Borderline Starter / 6th Man" level while playing up to 26 mpg where he will primarily play with the Starters. However....despite my preference to start Granger, have Lance fill a "Super Sub" role ( a la Manu ) but finish the game with Lance in the lineup, I suspect that Vogel recognizes that there is a need for consistency and the chemistry that was built over the last season and leading up to this point in the season with Lance in the Starting Lineup. I do expect to see Vogel pull Lance in favor of Granger when we see "Bad Lance" on the court. I expect that he will be exceeding my minimal expectations but would not be surprised if he just settled into the above role as "better versions of OJ/Solo/Copeland" in the lineup.

Anything that falls short of my minimal expectations....where he is not able to remain on the floor or is limited to anything less than 20 mpg ( of course after a month of playing ) due to conditioning or ( worse ) injury ( which results in having an inconsistent lineup where we don't know if Granger will be in the lineup from game to game ), his scoring touch has been lost ( due to lack of lift in his knees ), any reduced mobility makes him a defensive or offensive liability.....I would look at as not meeting my expectations from his return. But realistically, the only way to really not meet my expectations is if he can't do a better job then OJ/Solo/Copeland.

One last thing.....I would not be surprised if Granger does miss some games...here and there for a variety of reasons. But I hope that he does not miss any larger extended period of playing time.

Post your expectations now....so that u can get it on record!
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-10-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Post your expectations now....so that u can get it on record!
    I'll put it on the chopping block.

He'll play, he'll be an adequate guy off the bench for a few games, he'll miss games because of some injury (Not saying his current one - just something), he might play a few more games.

Repeat.

I don't know which other players, if any, in the last 10 years (for purpose of comparing to a time in history with relatively similar medical knowledge/practice/technology/methodology) have had specifically Granger's knee injury, specifically the same surgery to ultimately fix it, and have a similar body and style of play as Granger, so I'm not sure how seriously I would take historical comparisons in this case. Especially if the injury isn't exactly the same.

I also know how Danny looked to me the last game I saw him play, and he appeared in my opinion to be physically the same as before, which leads me to believe he will be what I've said I expect him to be.

I'm not arguing this because it's a pointless exercise where no one will 'win', but in any case that's just my take on DG at the moment. I might be the only one. And that okay with me. If I'm wrong, well, too bad for me, too bad for Danny, and too bad for this team. Hopefully I'm right.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Granger's played the game like he's had knee problems for years. He has an old man game that has no reliance on speed, cuts or creating space. He should return to his old form by March or April if he stays injury free.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Banned

One player that had the same injury as Danny and came back after almost 2 years of injuries is Rashard Lewis, he never got back to be the same player(not even close) but at least he is a serviceable players I think, he could probably play more in a crappy team.

I think DG is our Miami Rashard Lewis, decent player that can hit a shot or two before he goes back to the bench(way better than watching OJ, Cope or Hill).

Note that Rashard Lewis had some great games with Miami so not everything is negative

Edit: Oh crap on the strummer post, that is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    One player that had the same injury as Danny and came back after almost 2 years of injuries is Rashard Lewis, he never got back to be the same player(not even close) but at least he is a serviceable players I think, he could probably play more in a crappy team.

I think DG is our Miami Rashard Lewis, decent player that can hit a shot or two before he goes back to the bench(way better than watching OJ, Cope or Hill).

Note that Rashard Lewis had some great games with Miami so not everything is negative

Edit: Oh crap on the strummer post, that is not good.
    It's not even close to two years still though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Danny will be fine. Remember, the Bulls pre-season game where he re-aggravated the calf? He hit 4 three's in the first quarter. I think 4, maybe 3? But the odd thing is, remember when Indy played the Heat the first time in post season? Danny had a hot 1st qtr, and then went down with an ankle injury. Never returned, Miami blew us out. He played in the final game but wasn't as effective. Miami won the series. Seems he has games where he starts hot, and is due for a big night. Then disaster strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    It's not even close to two years still though.

Rashard Lewis also never led a team. Danny has led Indy through those BAD, BAD years. Rashard was always the reliable 3 man who could shoot on the Kickout. He was never a leader. That's why when he went to Orlando, it all fell apart after like 1 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    sound a little under the weather to anyone else? just worn out maybe.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2013...210f4v-3071782
    Man, that is great to see. Thanks for that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Lance is a better defender than Granger ever was.
    Eh, that's stronger than I'd say it. Lance defends certain wing players very well. Right now, with Granger shaking off a year's worth of rust, I expect him to be a stronger defender in most situations.

But by the end of the year, I can imagine plenty of situations where a Granger/George wing combo could be better defensively than a George/Stephenson wing combo.

Regardless, I expect Lance to continue starting, so we'll be able to throw both looks at teams every night.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

Meh, who cares if he went to the media? It's understandable that the cat is restless and itching to play.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be happy if he doesn't miss any more significant games, replaces OJ, hits a couple shots, and puts effort on the other end.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Meh, who cares if he went to the media? It's understandable that the cat is restless and itching to play.
    Clearly he was supposed to be our super secret weapon to beat the Bobcats

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

Well Vogel, sounds like he is frustrated with being held out when he feels like he can play.

Round 5, but it's so weird that Vogel and Granger haven't been on the same page about Danny's recovery/rehab.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is great news. I really wish she didn't make it seem like there is tension there though.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Maybe Granger is capable of playing but Vogel didn't think that he'd be quite ready? It's possible that Vogel was intending to keep him out a little longer and Granger ( with announcement ) may have forced his hand?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Knowing Danny he probably wanted to play tonight. We know there's no love lost between Danny and Lebron.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Maybe Granger is capable of playing but Vogel didn't think that he'd be quite ready? It's possible that Vogel was intending to keep him out a little longer and Granger ( with announcement ) may have forced his hand?
    I think Danny feels like he's been ready for a bit now, over a week, and has been held back so he's making as close to a power play as he can.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Frank probably just wants to be as cautious as possible. And he might not wanted to have to answer questions if Danny doesn't play Friday.

It might not be a power play by Danny either. He might have just been looking forward too it and told.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care if it's December 13th or March 13th. If Danny can come back and be effective almost every night we will win the NBA title.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com