Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

He's a long ways away, because he has yet to practice. That is, he is far from game shape...way behind guys who are now fully tuned for the season. At best, he starts practicing within a week and can participate in a game sometime in January. I hope that's the plan, because I'm getting anxious to see him out there.
    LeWade are going down.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Daily questions of whether or not he practiced. Concerns about if we're being told the whole story or not. Assurances that the Pacers are playing it ultra safe since the team is winning. Worries that the situation is really worse than is being let on.

It's like jumping into a time machine and being transported to February 2013.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could see it either way at this point. Either there's more to it that they're hiding, or this is an injury that if Granger was more important to the team and we weren't doing so well and he wasn't also coming off of the other trouble he's just been coming off of, he might already have been playing by now, soreness be damned. I just can't be sure either way.
    It could also be as simple as "we want to do as much as we can to make sure he's ready and playing well for the playoffs." Making sure he doesn't start playing for the first time in a while and have him trying to play through pain unrelated to his knee. At this point, Danny is a luxury. Maybe it's just "we don't need to rush him back, so why would we?"

I do really want to see him. The guy deserves to be a part of this team.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It could also be as simple as "we want to do as much as we can to make sure he's ready and playing well for the playoffs." Making sure he doesn't start playing for the first time in a while and have him trying to play through pain unrelated to his knee. At this point, Danny is a luxury. Maybe it's just "we don't need to rush him back, so why would we?"

I do really want to see him. The guy deserves to be a part of this team.

But he's not even practicing right now. It would be one thing if he was practicing daily with the team. Then you could at least say that he looked OK physically and that the team was being cautious before throwing him out to the wolves in a real game. But he apparently isn't even in good enough health to practice, which puts far less rigors on your body than an NBA game.

Kobe has been practicing for several weeks now. Different player and different injury I know, but players who are generally somewhat close to returning see the practice court. Granger can't even do that right now.

We dont need Granger for the regular season.

He is going to be important for the playoffs though. I think he can be the guy who puts us ahead of Miami.

I'd like to see the playoff rotation:

PG GHill (36) / Watson (12)
    SG Stephenson (32) / Granger (16)
    SF George (38) / Granger (10)
    PF West (32) / Scola (16)
    C Hibbert (34) / Mahimi (14)

I dont trust Solo or OJ as backups atm.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Future For This Useful Post:

It's just strange that Vogel is using such strong language that isn't in-line with what Danny and others have said, recently or in the past.

For example, Vogel never said anything about Hill being "a long ways away" a couple of seasons ago when Hill fractured his ankle. That's a more severe injury that certainly stopped his ability to practice.

Or even when Granger was about to return to practice three weeks ago, there was nothing as strong as "a long ways away". It was all about practicing and getting his legs under him, then re-evaluating in a few days.

And this is really overanalyzing Vogel's words. This happens when your team is 15-1 and there's no other conflict to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    We dont need Granger for the regular season.

He is going to be important for the playoffs though. I think he can be the guy who puts us ahead of Miami.

I'd like to see the playoff rotation:

PG GHill (36) / Watson (12)
    SG Stephenson (32) / Granger (16)
    SF George (38) / Granger (10)
    PF West (32) / Scola (16)
    C Hibbert (34) / Mahimi (14)

I dont trust Solo or OJ as backups atm.
    Granger won't be playing the 2. Especially at 30 with a bad wheel & against Miami. I do agree that he could be very valuable in a 7-game series against the Heat. But it will mean George sliding to the 2-guard and likely at the expense of Lance's minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Granger won't be playing the 2. Especially at 30 with a bad wheel & against Miami. I do agree that he could be very valuable in a 7-game series against the Heat. But it will mean George sliding to the 2-guard and likely at the expense of Lance's minutes.
    So Granger with a bad wheel should guard LeBron?
    LeWade are going down.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Certainly won't be guarding Wade.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

I'm not ready to assume he'll have a bad wheel for the playoffs. I just don't know what to make of this delay.

let me see...... He's running again, so he isn't practisiing, right, he's partaking in shootarounds, team shooting games and positional sets, hmm not practising yet though.
    He's a long way away, yep, that's sure, it will take him 3 -4 weeks to get his legs back under him or to be close to gameshape since he has to get there mainly on his own (little practise time for the team) his hard work in camp is down the drain, he had to take it easy way to long so yes he's miles away from game shape, i.e. a return.

but oh no, the team is not telling us his knee is bad again and that they are trading him for a bag of peanuts and a bad contract for someone who can come in and ruin the team we have, after all DG is a malcontent who doesn't even show up on game nights, never sits on the bench or partakes in shootarounds, and if he's there (forced no doubt) he never cheers the team on, so how much worse can it get?

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    let me see...... He's running again, so he isn't practisiing, right, he's partaking in shootarounds, team shooting games and positional sets, hmm not practising yet though.
    Larry Bird still can do shooting drills while kicking a** and taking names. So I guess he is practicing too?

Granger is not practicing within the context of what "practice" means for an NBA player . This isn't anti-DG nuts who are saying this, it's the Pacers themselves. Granger might be doing shooting drills that a 56 year old Bird can still win, but he's not yet going through real "practices".

Mood

You just side-stepped the part where he's running.

It may or may not be his knee... It very well could be related to the knee or wholly unrelated.... But whatever it is, it's over 7 weeks of recovery time and still counting. It's certainly not a scratch and bruise, that is for sure.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

OK, but it doesn't really change my point. He's not "practicing".

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It may or may not be his knee... It very well could be related to the knee or wholly unrelated.... But whatever it is, it's over 7 weeks of recovery time and still counting. It's certainly not a scratch and bruise, that is for sure.
    I thought it happened near the end of october?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

There's "running" then there is running. Practicing creates far more strain on the knees because it involves jumping, twisting and quick stops and starts. I don't think the fact he is "running" tells us much. The fact he's still not practicing is at best no news.
    LeWade are going down.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    I thought it happened near the end of october?
    I'm quoting myself that was quoting or paraphrasing the Indystar article I pasted somewhere in this thread. The injury occurred on:
    Oct 16th (aggravated on the 18th)
    Technically, we're into the 7th week... over 6 weeks have elapsed.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-01-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    OK, but it doesn't really change my point. He's not "practicing".
    I understand; I just don't like going so far as to make it sound like he's as (in)capable of playing in the games as Larry Bird.

Sports Logo

Let's try to clear this up, because I think that many that are "Team Lance" think that those on "Team Granger" want Granger to close/finish out a game over Lance regardless of the situation.

I am not speaking for everyone....but as a Team Granger supporter, I want to make it clear so that everyone understands. I doubt that in a close game where Vogel needed a finishing lineup that he would use Granger in the lineup.....especially if it's towards the end of a game during a single possession where the Pacers are defending. But if the Pacers needed a 3pt shot during a single offensive possesion? I can see Vogel going with a GH/Lance/PG24/Granger/Hibbert lineup.

But overall....in 95% of the scenarios where there is a close game....I expect Vogel to go with the best lineup that the Pacers have....which is GH/Lance/PG24/West/Hibbert. I only expect Granger to be used in special situations.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    But overall....in 95% of the scenarios where there is a close game....I expect Vogel to go with the best lineup that the Pacers have....which is GH/Lance/PG24/West/Hibbert. I only expect Granger to be used in special situations.
    Once Granger gets back into the flow of things I don't expect it to be so cut and dry. It really should be decided based solely on match-up and how each player is playing that night.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, the way the Pacers management has handled this situation over the last few years is giving me animosity towards Granger.

I love Granger, but the Pacers PR has just butchered this entire thing too many times now. Last year he wasn't suppose to be out that long, next thing you know he misses the season. It seems like something similar is happening this season. Now, I don't REALLY think he will be out the whole season, but I have such a bad taste in my mouth that I just don't even know.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Let's try to clear this up, because I think that many that are "Team Lance" think that those on "Team Granger" want Granger to close/finish out a game over Lance regardless of the situation.

I am not speaking for everyone....but as a Team Granger supporter, I want to make it clear so that everyone understands. I doubt that in a close game where Vogel needed a finishing lineup that he would use Granger in the lineup.....especially if it's towards the end of a game during a single possession where the Pacers are defending. But if the Pacers needed a 3pt shot during a single offensive possesion? I can see Vogel going with a GH/Lance/PG24/Granger/Hibbert lineup.

You and Nuntius are the only two I recall clarifying that you still want Lance to finish over a healthy Granger.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Once Granger gets back into the flow of things I don't expect it to be so cut and dry. It really should be decided based solely on match-up and how each player is playing that night.
    Getting him back into the flow of things is one thing. But at what level? Danny really needs to be back to his old self to eclipse Stephenson. We are talking 95% or higher. Then, I will be fine with sitting Lance at the close of games. But at 80%? I don't think so.

Also, much of this depends on Lance. If Lance improves much more, he will clearly be the better basketball player. Right now I think it's a legitimate question who is better for this starting unit. I would go with a 100% Danny Granger, but I think that's a figment of everyone's imagination.

But even at 100%, it's still a close call. People need to understand that this team is MUCH better than the JOb days...and most important that a healthy Danny Granger on this team would not crack 20ppg. There are too many other weapons. The fact is, that dilutes the greatest value Danny brings...which is his scoring ability. Look at our other options compared to the JOb days. Just look at how Paul George is shooting now. He's shooting as well or better than Granger ever did...and actually hitting harder shots than Danny ever did. As a result, no way Danny gets as many touches. Combine that with our far better defense and more methodical approach, Lance's 13ppg average on 47% FG% looks pretty good...combined with all of his other superior skills...all at such a young age.
    LeWade are going down.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    You and Nuntius are the only two I recall clarifying that you still want Lance to finish over a healthy Granger.
    I would even say that...at this point...I think a 100% healthy Granger is marginally better than Lance...even considering Lance's overall game. He was indeed a franchise player. But as stated above it's a close call even giving Danny all the benefit of the doubt in terms of his health and Lance's development.

In any event, I simply don't believe that a 100% Danny Granger will ever return to the Pacers...and in fact I think it's highly likely he is gone from the team in a matter of months.
    LeWade are going down.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: