Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1696

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

I'm really liking what we are getting from Danny, 8 ppg off the bench right now, but as he increases his efficiency (only shooting 33% from the field) that number should rise to double digits

So, 3 straight game double figures with 20-22 minutes.
    Not bad.

Default Re: BREAKING NEWS: DG has called himself a chucker

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What can he do other than chuck it?

Pass? Nope.

Dribble? Don't think so.

Defend? Not this year with that knee.

Shoot? Ok, that he can definitely do. But let's not get carried away. He got his numbers on bad teams and was the only decent player. We probably have 4 or 5 guys on this team who are better players than a healthy Danny Granger.
    BnG, just checking in to see how you're feeling about Danny's play. Would you still make this statement today?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    BnG, just checking in to see how you're feeling about Danny's play. Would you still make this statement today?
    The one thing I would change is that he can pass pretty well. He's no Lance Stephenson or even David West, but he's right there with Hill and probably at least average for a starter in the NBA. I will be generous and say above average for a starter. How's that? As for dribbling, nah...he can't do that well. Defending? He still seems a step slow and I don't think he's been tested...so I will say that's still TBD.

Admittedly, I didn't watch much of Danny tonight, but I already can see his game returning from the last contest. He's doing well and his shot is returning. I'm not surprised with how well he's playing right now. I am bit surprised he hasn't had an issue already but my timeline for making a judgment is end of January. But he's looking good. At this point I expect (and actually hope) to have a new signature after another 25 games or so.

Edit: yes i saw him reach in and tie up Tyreke. I don't think that play was a great measure. Tyreke is not about quickness as much as he's about technique. When Danny is challenged by quickness and handles it well, he passes the test.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 01-05-2014 at 08:27 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    But he's looking good. At this point I expect (and actually hope) to have a new signature after another 25 games or so.
    I assume that this is a Signature Bet?

If so....I assume that it is a bet that you are more than happy to pay if Granger continues to progress and at least does an OK impression of a decent 6th Man that can adequately defend, can figure out how to dribble the ball without getting called for travelling ( to be fair...IMHO...I think that he will get his rhythm back in a few weeks and he won't be double-dribbling the ball ) and effectively/efficiently score the ball when called upon to do it.

At this point...all that I am hoping for is for Granger to be contributing on the same level as CJ and Scola on the offensive end....anything that he can do to contribute beyond that is pure icing on the cake.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I assume that this is a Signature Bet?

If so....I assume that it is a bet that you are more than happy to pay if Granger continues to progress and at least does an OK impression of a decent 6th Man that can adequately defend, can figure out how to dribble the ball without getting called for travelling ( to be fair...IMHO...I think that he will get his rhythm back in a few weeks and he won't be double-dribbling the ball ) and effectively/efficiently score the ball when called upon to do it.

At this point...all that I am hoping for is for Granger to be contributing on the same level as CJ and Scola on the offensive end....anything that he can do to contribute beyond that is pure icing on the cake.
    Yes and no. 29 games is all the man needs to play and I have a new signature. He can play like garbage and it goes on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Good write-up by Candace:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-game/4347107/

Nothing shocking in there, but it's good. Danny and Vogel both talk about back-to-backs, so we're not crazy for seeing that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

The Candance Buckner article.
    From airballs to attacking the rim, Pacer F Danny Granger is improving every game

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-game/4347107/

Just over a week ago during a forgettable moment near the end of an Indiana Pacers' practice, Danny Granger ran a designed play by cutting to the basket. As he received the entry pass, Granger elevated and in the same motion tossed a soft layup towards the rim ... that Solomon Hill rejected.

Lance Stephenson razzed Granger from the sidelines and the rookie grinned. Granger just turned and walked back to his starting spot above the arc to run the play again. During that practice, Granger was playing instinctively but admittedly, he lacked self-assurance in his surgically repaired left knee.

Those concerns are diminishing now as Granger has scored in double digits in four straight games. Even more, Granger has boldly played closer to the rim while inching closer to regaining his full confidence.

"I'm feeling good," Granger said on Sunday night, his feet soaking in a tub of ice after he scored 10 points in a season-high 26 minutes. "Not where I need to be but I'm getting there and I'm making progress
    "I'm happy."

In the Pacers' 82-78 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers, Granger mastered the role of role player, energizing the offense in the second quarter. On the second night of a back-to-back, Granger scored a team-high seven points in the second quarter when field goals can be a rare occurance.

"We didn't come out and play," starting center Roy Hibbert said, "we were kind of flat, but our bench did a great job."

Understanding the importance of depth, Pacers coach Frank Vogel has welcomed back a healthy Granger as a key cog in the team's success.

"I think he's a necessary component to reach our goals of winning a championship," Vogel said. "To reach our goals of trying to get the No. 1 seed, come out of the East and ultimately compete for it all. I think having somebody like that right now coming off the bench, with just the depth at the wing spot with Stephenson, (Paul) George and Danny Granger that is necessary. We're really excited about the steps he's making and getting back into the fold."

Those steps, albeit small at times, have come over a span of nearly three weeks. On Dec. 20, Granger entered his first regular-season game in nine months. During the Pacers' next game on Dec. 22, he connected on four 3-pointers, but the following night , Granger missed all seven of his attempts some embarrassingly so, dying before they reached the rim or careening off the side of the backboard.

There was a common theme in those initial three games Granger's offensive plays stayed out on the perimeter. Granger candidly spoke about the reason behind his lack of attempts at the rim.

"Honestly, coming off a knee injury and even when you're healthy, you're just hesitant about doing certain stuff like going to the rim," Granger explained at the time, "because you really got to push on it and jumping off (for) rebounds.

"It's something you've got to get over mentally, and I will. I'll make a focus on it."

Granger backed up his words on Dec. 28 his fourth game back when he scored his first interior field goal by driving from beyond the corner of the 3-point arc and finishing with a left-handed layup.

Since that game, Granger has made a concerted effort to diversify his post-operation skill set by attempting more post-ups and drives to the basket.
    "I had to," Granger said on Sunday, "and that's just a confidence thing. Coming off a knee injury, you lack confidence.
    "(However,) it's coming. So, I'm trying to get into that a little more."

Through his first four games, Granger had only four total free throw attempts. Then during the New Year's Eve day match-up against Cleveland, Granger connected on 6-of 6-free throws the three trips to the line earned by driving to the rim, fighting for an offensive rebound and making a steal then leading the fast break.

Since then, Granger has recognized mismatches in plays that included taking the plodding New Orleans center Greg Stiemsma off the dribble or backing down the smaller Toronto point guard Greivis Vasquez.

"Each week's been a little better than the prior one," Vogel said. "(Granger) just looks more comfortable. He played the second night of a back-to-back at Toronto and really moved well, and he didn't move so well the first back-to-back he played (in) at Brooklyn. So that was an encouraging sign.

"It's going to be a process."
    Though Granger still displays little lift in his below-the-rim game, just his willingness to attack has been a positive sign for the team. By playing more assertively as well as consistently through a string of consecutive games, Granger continues the steps in his comeback.

"I'm working my way through it. It's getting easier and easier," Granger said. "My first (back-to-back), I was just dead. Dog tired, no legs. In my second one, I played pretty well and my third one I'm getting better with each one, so I'm happy."

Call Star reporter Candace Buckner at (317) 444-6121. Follow her on Twitter:@CandaceDBuckner
    Last edited by Sherlock; 01-06-2014 at 08:47 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherlock For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not saying he has earned it yet, but who are the front-runners for comeback player of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    Not saying he has earned it yet, but who are the front-runners for comeback player of the year?
    They actually just went ahead and gave it to Derrick Rose before the season ever started, right around the time the Bulls usurped the Pacers in the Central Division.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    Stop it

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    So, 3 straight game double figures with 20-22 minutes.
    Not bad.
    This has been bumped to 6 straight games in double figures. For the month of Jan.* Danny is currently averaging 12pts 4rebs 2asts on 45.7% shooting in 26mpg. His 3pt% is lower than where one would expect, at 33%.

*Although it's only Jan 9, the Pacers have already played 5 games.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Danny is currently averaging 12pts 4rebs 2asts on 45.7% shooting in 26mpg.
    This is the number I'm happiest about. Well, also the 2 assists in 26 minutes a game. Once his 3pt shooting % comes up, that number might be over 50%. That's what I want to see: efficient offense, solid defense, and willing passing.

Enjoy your time at PD!

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

This might be our best chance to win it if Granger continues to improve off the bench.

I doubt we'll be able to keep him once we resign Stephenson.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This is the number I'm happiest about. Well, also the 2 assists in 26 minutes a game. Once his 3pt shooting % comes up, that number might be over 50%. That's what I want to see: efficient offense, solid defense, and willing passing.
    I'm not even as concerned about his shooting percentages as I am his shot selection and most importantly his health...remember hes not 100% back by any stretch of the imagination...maybe by the end of the month if he continues to progress without any setbacks...and if we get to that point and his shot selection continues to be what it has been, hes relatively healthy and has his game legs and rhythm...well then just the threat of Danny does wonders for the offensive spacing....and we just dont expect Danny to suddenly not be able to shoot....Hes a great shooter...and great shooters taking good shots will be very very effective...and make everyone around him better-directly or indirectly...Dannys all-around game looks to be the skeleton of just how it should be....give him another month or so and it should be a major factor in our success...

By February, if Danny is not back in full. I would consider trading him and Solomon Hill to New Orleans for Eric Gordon. NO would do it simply to clear out their logjam of Gordon/Evans/Rivers/Holiday. Rivers was drafted with Anthony Davis. If Gordon gets traded, Austin gets minutes finally. Not to mention Ryan Anderson, who knows when he'll be back. Renting Granger to fill that spot makes sense. Now more than ever. Meanwhile on our side, a Gordon/Stephenson backcourt, paired with Paul George would be stellar. Hill comes off the bench at the 2 guard, playing off the ball. Being more of a scorer off the bench. No worries about point guard responsibilities, since we have CJ at backup point. Cope meanwhile finally gets minutes behind Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    By February, if Danny is not back in full. I would consider trading him and Solomon Hill to New Orleans for Eric Gordon. NO would do it simply to clear out their logjam of Gordon/Evans/Rivers/Holiday. Rivers was drafted with Anthony Davis. If Gordon gets traded, Austin gets minutes finally. Not to mention Ryan Anderson, who knows when he'll be back. Renting Granger to fill that spot makes sense. Now more than ever. Meanwhile on our side, a Gordon/Stephenson backcourt, paired with Paul George would be stellar. Hill comes off the bench at the 2 guard, playing off the ball. Being more of a scorer off the bench. No worries about point guard responsibilities, since we have CJ at backup point. Cope meanwhile finally gets minutes behind Paul.

No way! We are actually trading Danny and Lance for Gordon since there is no way we could afford to pay Lance next year. (Gordon makes $14m per year) This is not even close to being a good deal. Plus it should go in the trade forum.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-09-2014 at 05:59 PM.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

You live for making trades. I swear 350 of your 406 posts are about making trades

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    No way! We are actually trading Danny and Lance for Gordon since there is no way we could afford to pay Lance next year. (Gordon makes $14m per year) This is not even close to being a good deal. Plus it should go in the trade forum.
    Well as for dynamic guards who could form a great backcourt with Lance, EG is my only idea. Jordan Crawford isn't good enough really. Unless we can work a trade exception from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You live for making trades. I swear 350 of your 406 posts are about making trades
    George Hill should be coming off the bench though. I think his problem is he needs to be playing off the ball. Running off picks and scoring the ball like he did in SA. Playing less minutes might also give him more energy. I see him as a scorer off the bench. In a fashion where he's not asked to have to bring the ball up, facilitate, or set up other guys all the time. Which remember he was until Collison went down with that groin injury years ago. Who knows where GH would be had that not happened.

George Hill should be coming off the bench though. I think his problem is he needs to be playing off the ball. Running off picks and scoring the ball like he did in SA. Playing less minutes might also give him more energy. I see him as a scorer off the bench. In a fashion where he's not asked to have to bring the ball up, facilitate, or set up other guys all the time. Which remember he was until Collison went down with that groin injury years ago. Who knows where GH would be had that not happened.
    The starting five is doing just fine with Hill in the lineup. I don't understand why people are so anxious to tinker with what is clearly a winning formula. Also, in our offense, George Hill does play off the ball a lot.

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

The starting five is doing just fine with Hill in the lineup. I don't understand why people are so anxious to tinker with what is clearly a winning formula. Also, in our offense, George Hill does play off the ball a lot.
    When it comes to GH....the grass is always greener.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It isn't just tinkering though, it is throwing the formula away and going in a completely different direction. It makes no sense.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Why? Does the starting lineup really need another ball dominant player? Hill is good playing off the ball. He is what he is, a 5th option for this starting lineup, but that's not a bad thing. If you put both Granger and Stephenson in the starting lineup, suddenly you lose a lot of your bench and you have to rely on the Solo/OJ/Rasual trio (although Rasual has played better than expected).

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    Stop it
    uhhh, what is your deal???

I asked who the frontrunners are for an award and I get this?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post: