Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1696

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Banned

Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Brett Poirier NBA ‏@BrettNBA 59m
    Rumor: Rondo to the Pacers for Granger, Hill and a 2014 first-rounder. This is not true. Pacers don't even have its 2014 first-rounder.

Lol the Celtics would have to be doing drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am just curious what was the last team to not go into the LT and get a championship? Was it the Celtics or the Pistons? I honestly figure if an owner want a championship then paying the LT seems like a given to me.
    It looks like the 2005-2006 Heat. The 02-03 Spurs, the 03-04 Pistons, and the 06-07 Spurs all exceeded the luxury tax by less than a million.

Nine out of the ten champions in luxury tax seasons have been taxpayers. That's probably overstating its future impact though. Those three teams mentioned above probably could have found a way under the luxury tax if it had more teeth at the time. Three of the four teams in the conference finals last year did not pay the tax. The only luxury tax teams even above .500 right now are the Heat and the Clippers. I have a feeling it will probably be closer to 50/50 on who wins the title going forward if this CBA structure remains in place.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

The way I look at the luxury tax is this:
    #1 It's not my money so I have no problem spending it
    #2 If spending it makes me a stronger contender for a title then spend it
    #3 If there's a way to be just as strong a contender for a title without spending it, then don't spend it
    #4 But don't overspend on players just because you can

Seriously- What's a championship worth? What's a fired up, frenzied fanbase worth? What are national TV appearances and playoffs worth? What are mentions on all the national sports talk shows worth?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    It looks like the 2005-2006 Heat. The 02-03 Spurs, the 03-04 Pistons, and the 06-07 Spurs all exceeded the luxury tax by less than a million.

Nine out of the ten champions in luxury tax seasons have been taxpayers. That's probably overstating its future impact though. Those three teams mentioned above probably could have found a way under the luxury tax if it had more teeth at the time. Three of the four teams in the conference finals last year did not pay the tax. The only luxury tax teams even above .500 right now are the Heat and the Clippers. I have a feeling it will probably be closer to 50/50 on who wins the title going forward if this CBA structure remains in place.
    To me there are very few teams that can get players on discount and the Spurs were one team that seemed to be able to get discounts from there stars and if you believe Dirk then there is another team in Dallas. The biggest impact to me is not the repeater tax (although that is huge) but the no sign and trade clause to LT paying teams. That to me is a huge deal in limiting player movement and stacking teams but I do see players doing the Heat way of building a super team by all having player options on the same year.

I still dont' believe it will be 50/50 though since owners will always try to stack the odds in their favor even if they think its only for 2 years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rumor: Rondo to the Pacers for Granger, Hill and a 2014 first-rounder. This is not true. Pacers don't even have its 2014 first-rounder.

I'm pretty sure that's whats going on at the International Business Times Sports Department, since that seems to be where this came from.

Remember kids, when you want the latest scuttlebutt on NBA trade rumors, your first stop, yes even before BleacherReport, is the International Business Times!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm all for going over the cap but I believe there is options before thinking about doing that, for example trade Copeland and Mahinmi for expirings, Cope is not playing and Ian is making 4mil a year, replace those two for an expiring contract(Kaman?, Hawes?) and the Pacers can save some money.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    If Danny shows he can stay healthy I believe this is maybe the one time to go over the cap. Keep this team together. Danny as the 6th man is the perfect position for him.
    Although I really despise the anti-George Hill sentiment going around, I do wonder if dumping his contract to keep Danny might be something to consider.

If you believe that CJ Watson is 85% of the player that George Hill is at half the cost, and thats the cost of keeping Granger (assuming he embraces the 6th man role). I think it would be worth considering. I could live with a Watson/Sloan PG rotation if you can keep bringing Danny off the bench long term.

Watson/Sloan
    Lance/Danny
    Paul/Danny
    West/Scola
    Hibbert/Ian

I think the idea of going into the tax is a non-starter, it just wont happen. I think this could be a possibility though.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm all for going over the cap but I believe there is options before thinking about doing that, for example trade Copeland and Mahinmi for expirings, Cope is not playing and Ian is making 4mil a year, replace those two for an expiring contract(Kaman?, Hawes?) and the Pacers can save some money.
    I actually think the final move Larry would like to make, if possible, is to acquire Kaman from the Lakers. If Danny is able to remain healthy I look for him to aggressively pursue the Copeland for Kaman deal....Kaman hasnt been particularly happy and we know Larry has shown some interest in Kaman before...sooo...I think thats who he has in mind when hes mentioned theres maybe one more move he might like to make...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    I actually think the final move Larry would like to make, if possible, is to acquire Kaman from the Lakers. If Danny is able to remain healthy I look for him to aggressively pursue the Copeland for Kaman deal....Kaman hasnt been particularly happy and we know Larry has shown some interest in Kaman before...sooo...I think thats who he has in mind when hes mentioned theres maybe one more move he might like to make...
    This would be a great trade.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

If the Pacers had Rondo, the Pacers would corner the NBA market for triple doubles with Rondo and Lance.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
    I tend to like your comments, but this one is a little off base in terms of context, especially since you leave out Seth's quotes and the background of his comment.

Paying Danny 8/9 mil is pretty silly, yes. But you ignore the context of the conversation which include Sandman and Seth dreaming about Simon opening his pocket book considering the fact that we are now selling out games left and right. In that sense, perhaps we could start paying both Lance and Danny. In the end probably not, but that does not detract from their statement that perhaps Simon could open up a little.

But you ignore that point and just say "Is this real life? OMG, smh, I'm glad you're not GM" just to be condescending. (Do you not see how this is condescending???)

This is my whole problem with these threads. We don't read context or really even argue facts. We just pick and choose one liners to make fun of or be snobbish against.

edit: Oh yeah, and the Pacers are 22 - 5. Sigh...
    I don't think sandman and seth are dreaming they are serious about it, this is "lets give Jeff Foster another contract because he is the heart and soul of the team" all over again.

And I'm sorry for not quoting seth post but they are really really long so there is not point in doing that if I'm only commenting on one thing.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Danny looked good tonight. Anyone with a gif of his block?

Interesting to me how well Danny and Lance are gelling on the court together after all the hand wringing about which one would start. They have great chemistry already
    I believe that all this hand wringing was something that only the fans cared about. This team doesn't worry about such things. Their chemistry is amazing and they love each other.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all for either team.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all for either team.
    Lance and Rondo in the same backcourt? Vogels hair would look like Dan Burkes by the end of the season and Larry would likely look like Neil Young.

EDIT: And besides, that would break the one knucklehead rule....

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I like Kaman. I really do. He had an excellent game against the Warriors this Saturday. But I don't know. He is rarely used on the Lakers and Robert Sacre has taken his place in the rotation. I just don't know if he can still play. Maybe he could help a contender, though.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Kaman. I really do. He had an excellent game against the Warriors this Saturday. But I don't know. He is rarely used on the Lakers and Robert Sacre has taken his place in the rotation. I just don't know if he can still play. Maybe he could help a contender, though.
    I watched him play the other nite against Minnesota and thought he looked suprisingly good considering I wasnt expecting much...I could actually see him playing ahead of Mahinmi -primarily because of his abilities on the offensive end....not the least being he seems to have little problems catching the ball...

If the Pacers win the championship with Granger playing a big role, then all this Luxury Tax thing goes out the window. Herb would be a fool to let either Lance or Danny get away in FA. Herb Simon is an old man now, he isn't going to break up a championship roster. If they fail to make the finals, then Bird has to think long and hard about what he is going to do to put this team over the edge. This is a champiopnship or bust season. If they fail there will be drastic changes to the team.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    If the Pacers win the championship with Granger playing a big role, then all this Luxury Tax thing goes out the window. Herb would be a fool to let either Lance or Danny get away in FA. Herb Simon is an old man now, he isn't going to break up a championship roster. If they fail to make the finals, then Bird has to think long and hard about what he is going to do to put this team over the edge. This is a champiopnship or bust season. If they fail there will be drastic changes to the team.

I do agree that if there is one move to do this season its trade one of those wings for a legit 3rd Big.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo

I watched him play the other nite against Minnesota and thought he looked suprisingly good considering I wasnt expecting much...I could actually see him playing ahead of Mahinmi -primarily because of his abilities on the offensive end....not the least being he seems to have little problems catching the ball...
    Kaman has great hands, obviously. One of the requirements to be a starting Center in this league is to have good hands and that's also why Ian is a back--up (and why Asik was a back-up for several years despite his absolutely amazing defense). Kaman is also a good offensive player. He has offensive skills. I just don't know if he can hold up defensively. He can certainly block shots but can he give us the verticality that Ian does?

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I do agree that if there is one move to do this season its trade one of those wings for a legit 3rd Big.
    I just don't know if there is such a big need for a 3rd big. Will they see a lot of PT in order to make this move meaningful?

I mean, there are some bigs in Europe that could be had easily and fill that 3rd big spot if this is so important.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kaman has great hands, obviously. One of the requirements to be a starting Center in this league is to have good hands and that's also why Ian is a back--up (and why Asik was a back-up for several years despite his absolutely amazing defense). Kaman is also a good offensive player. He has offensive skills. I just don't know if he can hold up defensively. He can certainly block shots but can he give us the verticality that Ian does?
    As mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw on both ends and came away feeling he would be a good fit and I bet that was what Larry had in mind with his "one more move"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

As mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw on both ends and came away feeling he would be a good fit and I bet that was what Larry had in mind with his "one more move"
    Yeah, that's a nice rim protecting block. As I said, he can still block shots. I am just not sure if he can be a full time rim protector. That's all.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Two grown men with cartoon character avatars arguing about a hypothetical million dollar sports contract for 2014.
    seriously, you two are ridiculous.

Sports Logo

Although Copeland would be a fit for the 3pt shooting nature of D'Antoni's offense.....I think that the Lakers want to preserve their 2014-2015 Capspace....which is WAY more important to completely re-tool around Kobe/Nash. Adding $3 mil of 2014-2015 Capspace just to make Kaman happy makes little sense to me.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Yeah, that's a nice rim protecting block. As I said, he can still block shots. I am just not sure if he can be a full time rim protector. That's all.
    Kaman doesn't have to be a full time rim protector....just one 18 to 20 mpg at most ( Assuming that Mahinmi is traded and he's backing up Hibbert ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.