Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1696

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im going to say it now. With the current attendance uptick (we haven't drawn BELOW 15,000 since the second week of the season, and 7 of the 13 games have been SOLD OUT!), it might be a little easier for Mr. Simon to perhaps consider opening the pocketbook a little more....
    I agree. I know it's not our money but OTOH they are sitting in a very rare position. They have the chance to field a team that for 2 more years could easily look like:

Hill - Watson
    Paul - Lance
    Granger - Lance
    West - Scola
    Roy - Ian

West and Scola might be close to the end (West talked like his current deal might be his last) and possibly Granger might be in that same mindset a few seasons from now, or certainly he'd be a cheaper contract by that point (he already will be way cheaper than 14m).

You don't get hit with the repeat penalty until I think 3 years of being over the cap (I looked at this last summer and basically it showed you could keep Granger without the penalty). The tax would hurt, but measured against not just sell-outs but in residual income from the overall massive popularity of a dynasty team? You aren't just selling seats now, you are selling a generation of local fans on this team if you run 3 years in a row of what we are currently seeing.

The team has walked into something very special, something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Once you get to a spot like this you want to put it in cement for as long as you can. Not so much in terms of long deals, but in terms of continuing to keep it together till it falls apart. Danny on a 2 year deal at 8-9, Lance at 8-9-10. It wouldn't be "we are now broke" level spending considering the benefit.

I know I just spent 2 nights in an arena of fans chanting Danny, and I don't mean A55/G2, I mean the WHOLE arena. The fanbase loves Granger and they love Lance. They both will sell tickets and jerseys and all sorts of merch.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I'm just glad this whole debate can now be decided on the court. Speculation and predictions either way will mean less and less as reality plays out.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I've always said it, and it remains true. Danny Granger's biggest problem was that he wasn't Lebron James. In my opinion he was easily 2nd best SF in the East in his prime, but he never developed in to the superstar. And so that knock on him was that the Pacers will never amount to anything if Danny Granger is your best player. Which was absolute BS because the 11-12 playoffs Granger was the best player on the team and the Pacers had the best starting 5 in the league.

I remember so many here wanted the Pacers to trade Granger after he made the all-star team because his value would never be higher and that the Pacers should use him to acquire a high draft pick and rebuild. All because he wasn't Lebron.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

8/9mil a year for a guy that has only played two games in almost 2 years? is this real life? OMG, I'm glad you are not the GM.... Smh
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-23-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Mood

If Danny would accept a bench position but plays good minutes at both the 3 and 4 spots we should definitely re-sign him at a lower cost. I would think about it like Ginolbi for the Spurs. If he balks at that then we could trade him close to the deadline but I really don't see much needed to improve our team that much, plus the team is really starting to gel right now and it will become closer as the season goes on and by the time we hit the playoffs Our team will function better with everyone being on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    8/9mil a year for a guy that has only played two games in almost 2 years? is this real life? OMG, I'm glad you are not the GM.... Smh
    If we win the title and Danny plays a big role in that, sure I don't mind that contract.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hes played 2 games in the last 2 days not 2 years....and 8/9 million would be about right seeing as thats what Monta Ellis is making and we all know Monta isnt as good as Danny...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The team has walked into something very special, something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Once you get to a spot like this you want to put it in cement for as long as you can. Not so much in terms of long deals, but in terms of continuing to keep it together till it falls apart. Danny on a 2 year deal at 8-9, Lance at 8-9-10. It wouldn't be "we are now broke" level spending considering the benefit.
    Scola is one of the best bench players in the NBA this year, yet is only making $4.5 million. Paying Danny $8-9 million a year beyond this season for 12 PPG off the bench just wouldn't be a very wise business decision. I value scoring off of the bench, but not at that price. We already have serious money invested in Hibbert/West/George/Hill, and soon will in Lance. If the bidding gets that high on Granger, then we need to step aside.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    If we win the title and Danny plays a big role in that, sure I don't mind that contract.
    A bigger role than Lance,Hill,West,Hibbert,PG and Scola? yeah I don't see it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny will play a bigger role than Scola.

Hes played more mins than Scola in his first two games back.
    Last edited by ilive4sports; 12-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.

A bigger role than Lance,Hill,West,Hibbert,PG and Scola? yeah I don't see it.
    For us to win a title I think Danny has to play at an equal or better level than Lance.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Scola is one of the best bench players in the NBA this year, yet is only making $4.5 million. Paying Danny $8-9 million a year beyond this season for 12 PPG off the bench just wouldn't be a very wise business decision. I value scoring off of the bench, but not at that price. We already have serious money invested in Hibbert/West/George/Hill, and soon will in Lance. If the bidding gets that high on Granger, then we need to step aside.
    To be fair, Scola's salary is what was the winning bid when he was amnestied... Scola is making an additional 5.7M from Houston this year, and 6.5 next year... Scola only costs us 4.5M when he is a 10M a year player... So this is really an exception, not the rule for this particular argument...

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    To be fair, Scola's salary is what was the winning bid when he was amnestied... Scola is making an additional 5.7M from Houston this year, and 6.5 next year... Scola only costs us 4.5M when he is a 10M a year player... So this is really an exception, not the rule for this particular argument...
    You're right, good point.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    For us to win a title I think Danny has to play at an equal or better level than Lance.
    We won't be winning a title then because that is not going to happen, you think Lance is getting triple doubles just because? he is getting them because he is playing at a really high level, he is close to all star right now.

We won't be winning a title then because that is not going to happen, you think Lance is getting triple doubles just because? he is getting them because he is playing at a really high level, he is close to all star right now.
    I love Lance's stat padding triple-doubles as much as anybody, but to beat Miami and OKC/SAS in the playoffs we're gonna need Danny's perimeter shooting and size on the wing just as much.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Two grown men with cartoon character avatars arguing about a hypothetical million dollar sports contract for 2014.
    Last edited by King Tuts Tomb; 12-23-2013 at 01:17 AM.

27. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Danny will play a bigger role than Scola.

Hes played more mins than Scola in his first two games back.
    I would hope so. The idea, at least in theory, is that Danny can score as a spot-up option, and DEFEND. Love Scola to death, and it's not for lack of trying, but dude is rough on defense if teammates aren't bailing him out.

I don't have time right now to nitpick everything that jumped out at me in the last few pages, but consider this a friendly reminder to keep it about the facts and opinions and not about jabbing people or accusing them of not watching the games. Please and thank you.

I tend to like your comments, but this one is a little off base in terms of context, especially since you leave out Seth's quotes and the background of his comment.

Paying Danny 8/9 mil is pretty silly, yes. But you ignore the context of the conversation which include Sandman and Seth dreaming about Simon opening his pocket book considering the fact that we are now selling out games left and right. In that sense, perhaps we could start paying both Lance and Danny. In the end probably not, but that does not detract from their statement that perhaps Simon could open up a little.

But you ignore that point and just say "Is this real life? OMG, smh, I'm glad you're not GM" just to be condescending. (Do you not see how this is condescending???)

This is my whole problem with these threads. We don't read context or really even argue facts. We just pick and choose one liners to make fun of or be snobbish against.

edit: Oh yeah, and the Pacers are 22 - 5. Sigh...
    Last edited by IndySDExport; 12-23-2013 at 03:25 AM.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:

Danny looked good tonight. Anyone with a gif of his block?

Interesting to me how well Danny and Lance are gelling on the court together after all the hand wringing about which one would start. They have great chemistry already

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Danny looked good tonight. Anyone with a gif of his block?

Interesting to me how well Danny and Lance are gelling on the court together after all the hand wringing about which one would start. They have great chemistry already
    This is why I always insisted that chemistry wasn't an issue.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I agree. I know it's not our money but OTOH they are sitting in a very rare position. They have the chance to field a team that for 2 more years could easily look like:

Hill - Watson
    Paul - Lance
    Granger - Lance
    West - Scola
    Roy - Ian

West and Scola might be close to the end (West talked like his current deal might be his last) and possibly Granger might be in that same mindset a few seasons from now, or certainly he'd be a cheaper contract by that point (he already will be way cheaper than 14m).

You don't get hit with the repeat penalty until I think 3 years of being over the cap (I looked at this last summer and basically it showed you could keep Granger without the penalty). The tax would hurt, but measured against not just sell-outs but in residual income from the overall massive popularity of a dynasty team? You aren't just selling seats now, you are selling a generation of local fans on this team if you run 3 years in a row of what we are currently seeing.

I know I just spent 2 nights in an arena of fans chanting Danny, and I don't mean A55/G2, I mean the WHOLE arena. The fanbase loves Granger and they love Lance. They both will sell tickets and jerseys and all sorts of merch.
    If Danny shows he can stay healthy I believe this is maybe the one time to go over the cap. Keep this team together. Danny as the 6th man is the perfect position for him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Speculation and predictions either way will mean less and less as reality plays out.
    Yeah, because reality (stats) aren't just tossed out the window whenever someone(s) gets a tingly feeling up their leg.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    If Danny shows he can stay healthy I believe this is maybe the one time to go over the cap. Keep this team together. Danny as the 6th man is the perfect position for him.
    I am just curious what was the last team to not go into the LT and get a championship? Was it the Celtics or the Pistons? I honestly figure if an owner want a championship then paying the LT seems like a given to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I am just curious what was the last team to not go into the LT and get a championship? Was it the Celtics or the Pistons? I honestly figure if an owner want a championship then paying the LT seems like a given to me.
    It's going to be us, this year.

But there's no way in Hades to keep this current team intact next year without paying the luxury tax.

If this team doesn't win the championship this year, then there's no logical basis for Simon to make that financial leap this offseason, IMO.

I agree though with Seth, that if we do in fact have the beginnings of a dynasty (which starts with a championship, this year), it would be foolish for Simon not to bend his rule. You know, the whole penny wise, pound foolish thing.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post: