Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he stated the trainers were holding him back and he was ready
    No he didn't. I think he felt that way but in no way is that what he said.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Fishy? I really don't know what to say. You can see from the interview in the standalone thread that he's talking about specific things he doesn't want to hit the floor until he's got them fixed. Why should anyone force him to come back sooner than he feels he's ready to come back?

This isn't a DRose playoffs situation, this is a 19-3 early in the season situation. The exact same thing that would make this an OK game for him to ease himself in also makes it OK for him to say he'd rather take a little more time on the practice floor first.

That all sounds rational enough, but when you're talking about a saga that's gone on as long as DG's health, you're going to have people who take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Danny should have just toed the company line Tuesday, instead of stepping out and declaring himself ready 3 days in advance.
    Probably why Vogel was annoyed when Granger said he will be back on Friday, moves the discussion away from the team. Pacers and co. Should just sit quiet until he is finally ready to play.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That all sounds rational enough, but when you're talking about a saga that's gone on as long as DG's health, you're going to have people who take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.
    "I'll believe it when I see it" is a lot different than "fishy". Like getting tired of the setbacks, I'm getting tired of the implications that there's falsehoods being told on purpose. Why is it hard to believe that things are really what they seem, just taking it slow? Why do we have to believe we're being lied to? It's like you said earlier, there are other stories. Lying about Granger doesn't buy anyone anything.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    Perhaps, but if he's healthy, and he's playing better than Solo + OJ, and those are the only guys he would take minutes from, then why wait? Is he afraid of being embarrassed? Everyone understands the dude is going to be super rusty. The things he's saying need to be improved are things that can only really be perfected with actual in-game minutes. Just sounds really weird to me.
    Because if his conditioning and timing isn't up to speed yet he could injure himself again.

I think this is as simple as, he's been feeling pain free..so he announced he'd probably play in the next game..come to find out that he's actually not in game shape as quickly as he'd hoped, so better to get there first.

I can't wait for Danny to come back. But I want him playing well in May. So slow comeback it is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"I'll believe it when I see it" is a lot different than "fishy". Like getting tired of the setbacks, I'm getting tired of the implications that there's falsehoods being told on purpose. Why is it hard to believe that things are really what they seem, just taking it slow? Why do we have to believe we're being lied to? It's like you said earlier, there are other stories. Lying about Granger doesn't buy anyone anything.
    I don't think many people here believe that the Pacers have sinister motives. But it's been 12 months of "taking it slow". At this point, it's just really hard for some people to take an optimistic outlook when this situation has been a continual letdown for a long time now. It's just starting to seem like a parody of itself.

I still care because I do think that the Pacers need a better backup wing. But I'm long past the point of getting emotionally invested in this. If he can return within the next few weeks and play consistent decent ball, then great. But if it's mid January and he still hasn't shown much, then it's time to see if DG + second rounder can net us an expiring wing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

FWIW, today is the first time I've ever made any sorts of comments like this.

I don't think there is some kind of grand conspiracy at work here, or that anyone is being deliberately untruthful.

its just that all the updates I remember hearing up to this point were health-related, while today's tweet I was reacting to was only talking about performance related issues. The logic of the statement just didn't add up to me is all, which is why I said it sounded "fishy."

Admittedly, I have not had a chance to watch the interview yet. And honestly this issue hasn't really been on my radar, we are playing well enough that I haven't really been concerned about Danny's timetable.

I WILL be concerned if/when it starts to look like Danny can't help us much in the playoffs. Hopefully he comes back very soon and can start getting back to some resemblance of himself, even if it's just in limited minutes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No he didn't. I think he felt that way but in no way is that what he said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...nearing-return

Granger on the other hand, feels like he could be back sooner than later, saying he probably could be playing right now.

“(The Pacers' trainers are) kind of holding me back and I think they know best. If it was up to me, I'd be playing, but like I said, they know best,” Granger said, via the Star. “That's just me talking from my competitive side. I practiced today, so obviously I'm not far away.”

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...nearing-return

Granger on the other hand, feels like he could be back sooner than later, saying he probably could be playing right now.

“(The Pacers' trainers are) kind of holding me back and I think they know best. If it was up to me, I'd be playing, but like I said, they know best,” Granger said, via the Star. “That's just me talking from my competitive side. I practiced today, so obviously I'm not far away.”
    Just to point out that was the article December 7, in case someone stumbles on this and thinks it is a new quote.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

So he got excited because he was feeling good, but then went out and had a rotten practice and decided he may not be as game ready as he thought. Not sure why that's unreasonable.
    Last edited by MagicRat; 12-12-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

17. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    So he got excited because he was feeling good, but then went out and had a rotten practice and decided he may not be in as game ready as he thought. Not sure why that's unreasonable.
    Yeah fair enough, I just read the rest of the interview.

I'd rather get some news then nothing at all and I'm really happy to know that Danny is working out in full practices. I don't like that he's not playing Friday just because he's not up to speed yet. I don't want him logging heavy minutes and hurting the team but I honestly think that if he's able to play he'd still be a better option the S Hill or OJ. Any play would help him come along and he would still be going through every practice. I'd hate to hear the comments from the handful of detractors about how poorly he played though. At any rate it can't be long now but I doubt if they bring him out against the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    its just that all the updates I remember hearing up to this point were health-related, while today's tweet I was reacting to was only talking about performance related issues. The logic of the statement just didn't add up to me is all, which is why I said it sounded "fishy."
    I'm not sure where you are having the problem logically? It seems to me to be the logical next step in his progression to return. Up until now it has been health related which means limited practicing, the next step is full practicing which means he is healthy enough, just may or may not be conditioned enough, which is basically what he said.

To me it sounds kind of like Vogel told him no, so he is back tracking a little bit. I would say, depending on the schedule, give him a week and he will be playing.

On another note, I'm not sure why we are talking about Orlando right now. At least in my opinion, the first step back is Solo's minutes not Orlando's minutes. It isn't about if he can step in for Orlando yet, but if he can step in for Solo. Personally I'm not a fan of immediately giving him 20 minutes a game.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 12-13-2013 at 02:10 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Disappointed, but it's not really a big deal. Take your time Danny.

Although I'd probably assume Danny at 80% >>> Orlando at 100%
    On the Lance bandwagon

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Nothing exactly new, but Frank from earlier this afternoon

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2013...l2f4v-3075450/

Frank is right. If anything, that video showed he is not close to form. He's guarding an aging 4th string wing who is dunking and getting open from the perimeter.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Frank is right. If anything, that video showed he is not close to form. He's guarding an aging 4th string wing who is dunking and getting open from the perimeter.
    and that layup at 00:36 is not going to cut it against Tyson Chandler!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Solo got the dunk

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Solo got the dunk
    I'm not really sure what the dunk had to do with Granger since it seemed like a fast break, and Granger wasn't in the play.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm not really sure what the dunk had to do with Granger since it seemed like a fast break, and Granger wasn't in the play.
    Cuz haters gonna hate and pretend Danny needs a wheelchair.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

The only thing I blame Granger for is us drafting Solo Hill and him getting playing time. He's garbage.

Hopefully Granger can at least give us 12-14 pts off the bench. If he can do that this team could be legendary(defensive wise) like the Pistons squad. Well if we could find a replacement for Mahinmi too.
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge_24 View Post
    The only thing I blame Granger for is us drafting Solo Hill and him getting playing time. He's garbage.

Hopefully Granger can at least give us 12-14 pts off the bench. If he can do that this team could be legendary(defensive wise) like the Pistons squad. Well if we could find a replacement for Mahinmi too.
    it is so cool if he looks like 2004 piston version of corliss williamson

and i'm not sure if danny really can be much effective bench/role player. Because i watched almost every game of Team USA in Fiba 2011 World Championship hosted in Turkey.
    he and Rudy Gay was KD's backup, now he is PG's backup. He was really ineffective in 2011 in his prime year.

Solo got the dunk
    The rook was schooling him too?

Just kidding. But seriously, that video could have been him walking in a park and it would be just as meaningful.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: