Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 876 to 900 of 1696

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

  1. #876
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But is a rusty Danny worse than what we're getting from OJ?

    Danny can help us right now. If he starts costing us games, I'll come around to your point of view.
    That's where I'm at. If he's just blatantly hurting us, get him out, but otherwise, especially with OJ struggling right now, I'm perfectly fine with him shaking off the rust by play 10-12 min a game.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  3. #877
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,285

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    If he's practicing like he's able to play then that is when Vogel should be deciding how to work him back into the lineup. Do you want to give him all of OJ's minutes or just a few to get his feet wet?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #878
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,318

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rusty DG can't even run up and down the court without having to hold his knees to catch a breath.

    http://instagram.com/p/hv3Z1pF5ZV/
    because of course that was his very first run.

    how do you know he hadn't been working out for 30 mins or so?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:


  6. #879
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's practicing like he's able to play then that is when Vogel should be deciding how to work him back into the lineup. Do you want to give him all of OJ's minutes or just a few to get his feet wet?
    Against Charlotte? Just a few to get his feet wet. But within a week or two, I hope to have a 3-man wing rotation of Paul/Lance/Danny.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  8. #880
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    because of course that was his very first run.

    how do you know he hadn't been working out for 30 mins or so?
    Compare the speed he is running(lets call it a run but is not a run) to NBA speed, he said it himself he is rusty and needs to get in shape, the video shows how rusty he is that's all I'm saying.

    Note that he also looked rusty in preseason (see preseason comments from DG fans in previous page).


    And please don't make this a running interpretation thread or another overreaction thread.

  9. #881
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,202

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's practicing like he's able to play then that is when Vogel should be deciding how to work him back into the lineup. Do you want to give him all of OJ's minutes or just a few to get his feet wet?
    I am guessing that the strained muscle most likely is a result of playing too many minutes too quickly, so I am on the slowly work him into the rotation. give him the minutes that Solo would normally get, then after a few games give him all of Orlando's minutes too. Then after a few more games have him playing 30ish minutes.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  11. #882

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then after a few more games have him playing 30ish minutes.
    You're kidding - right ??

    Where are those 30 going to come from ?? OK - I'll give him OJs 12 (if he can handle it). The other 18 are coming from where ?? From whom ?? And lastly - why ?? Who doesn't deserve the minutes they're getting now ??

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  13. #883
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,888

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Compare the speed he is running(lets call it a run but is not a run) to NBA speed, he said it himself he is rusty and needs to get in shape, the video shows how rusty he is that's all I'm saying.

    Note that he also looked rusty in preseason (see preseason comments from DG fans in previous page).


    And please don't make this a running interpretation thread or another overreaction thread.
    OK, but that really doesn't address anything. If that was the end of a 10-minute drill would it be OK to be slowed down? A 20-minute drill?

    I mean, I can show video clips of practically any player being tired and out of breath. Without context, though, there's no way to tell if it is because of normal practice, being out of shape, or having COPD.

    I don't think it is too much to ask that if you are using a clip to say it shows someone is out of shape that you are able to provide some context for the clip. You could be right, but you could just as easily be wrong.

    Personally, I really don't think Danny is dumb enough to be pushing to come back Friday if he really can't run a lap of the court without being exhausted. He'd have to know that coming out looking bad would be the kiss of death, wouldn't he?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  14. #884
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,677

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who doesn't deserve the minutes they're getting now ??

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to tora tora For This Useful Post:


  16. #885
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,888

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're kidding - right ??

    Where are those 30 going to come from ?? OK - I'll give him OJs 12 (if he can handle it). The other 18 are coming from where ?? From whom ?? And lastly - why ?? Who doesn't deserve the minutes they're getting now ??
    Would you not play PG fewer minutes during the season if you could get away with it? Would you not perhaps pair him and Luis in the small ball lineup instead of pairing West and Luis for a ton of minutes? What about pairing West and Danny for the same reason?

    30 is very high end, but depending on what you are using him for it isn't like any star player would be cut out of huge amounts of playing time. And, if we keep winning while doing it, why would anyone say it was a bad move?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  18. #886
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,115

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I expect Danny to hit a jumper this year. Going out on a limb.
    It did take a while last year.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  20. #887
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rusty DG can't even run up and down the court without having to hold his knees to catch a breath.

    http://instagram.com/p/hv3Z1pF5ZV/
    Do you honestly think that was the very first thing he had done in that practice

    can we all stop laughing at one another when we don't see eye to eye?


    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #888
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. If he's able to, it's the perfect game for him to come back. He shouldn't be needed.
    Yeah pretty much my point, plus he has two days of rest at home with no travel before the DET Game then. It's ideal from a rehab stand point which is why I was calling it.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  22. #889
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Bills note that I'm talking about the video and I'm also pointing out that he looked out of shape in preseason when according to reports he was at 98%, I'm putting all that together to suggest that I don't think he is a better defender than OJ "right now".

    I mean not even Kobe is a better defender than OJ right now because Kobe is also out of shape, he is another guy that can't run worth a damn(but is expected).
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.

  23. #890
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    From a rehab stand point, I think you start Danny at ten against Charlotte and ten against Detroit, maybe push him to 15 if you think he can do it, but tossing him at 30 MPG is almost certainly what caused the muscle strain so don't make the same mistake twice.

    I think Danny's minutes will likely top out most nights around 24 or 25, but I wouldn't expect to see that until the new year. He may hit 20 or so by the first.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #891
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,888

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bills note that I'm talking about the video and I'm also pointing out that he looked out of shape in preseason when according to reports he was at 98%, I'm putting all that together to suggest that I don't think he is a better defender than OJ "right now".

    I mean not even Kobe is a better defender than OJ right now because Kobe is also out of shape, he is another guy that can run worth a damn(but is expected).
    Fair enough, but against teams where the defense isn't as critical would it not be a good idea to use him so he can get into game shape? Like I said, if 15 minutes of Danny Granger loses a game against Charlotte you are screwed in more ways than just Danny.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  25. #892
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bills note that I'm talking about the video and I'm also pointing out that he looked out of shape in preseason when according to reports he was at 98%, I'm putting all that together to suggest that I don't think he is a better defender than OJ "right now".

    I mean not even Kobe is a better defender than OJ right now because Kobe is also out of shape, he is another guy that can run worth a damn(but is expected).
    I get what you're saying and agree, which is why I didn't want him getting his first minutes against a team like Miami. Charlotte is ideal they don't even really have anyone he'll need to guard.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  27. #893
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,703

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Compare the speed he is running(lets call it a run but is not a run) to NBA speed, he said it himself he is rusty and needs to get in shape, the video shows how rusty he is that's all I'm saying.

    Note that he also looked rusty in preseason (see preseason comments from DG fans in previous page).


    And please don't make this a running interpretation thread or another overreaction thread.
    1: your statements hold little value(and I refer to Bills for the exact reason why; no context)
    2: pre-season is just that pre-season we are 1 month onwards, any conclusions from what you saw there in a player that has since rehabbed a different injury holds exactly 0 value, even PG and RH loked gasssed everyt minute and they barely played half the minutes DG did in pre-season
    3: drop the overreaction remarks, if you are that desperate for an overreaction, trust me, i can overreact easy, i'm tired and grumpy, so please please please don't tempt me.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


  29. #894
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,202

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're kidding - right ??

    Where are those 30 going to come from ?? OK - I'll give him OJs 12 (if he can handle it). The other 18 are coming from where ?? From whom ?? And lastly - why ?? Who doesn't deserve the minutes they're getting now ??
    There are 96 wing minutes every game. Right now Paul and Lance are averaging 36 and 34. So that leaves 26 minutes open for Danny. Those final 4 will come from Lance and/or Ian if Danny gets PF minutes. Next time please do your research instead of just using some gut reaction that is oblivious of reality.

    It isn't about who doesn't deserve minutes. It is about who deserves minutes more than the other player. I am betting once he gets back in the swing of things Danny will be deserving of just as many minutes as Lance.

  30. #895
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Right now Paul George averages just under 37 mpg, and Lance Stephenson averages 34.5, so let's say 35 for him.

    96 - 37 - 35 = 24 minutes. I'm satisfied with Danny playing that much when he's capable.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  32. #896
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,115

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance should start unless the wheels come off. As we've said all along, it's not who starts that matters, it will be who finishes and we have plenty of time to figure out how that is going to play out assuming Danny looks good, but otherwise we're just getting the cart before the horse.
    I hope we don't lose sight of how important Lance has become at the end of games to get the offense moving in a healthy way without making a turnover. GHill showed us last night how much he struggles when a top defense like Miami really revs it up.

    While Granger is good and brings great assets, his perimeter and slashing game is more similar to GHill and PG than Lance. As I've written before, we don't need three hammers. We need a couple of hammers and a wrench.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  34. #897
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough, but against teams where the defense isn't as critical would it not be a good idea to use him so he can get into game shape? Like I said, if 15 minutes of Danny Granger loses a game against Charlotte you are screwed in more ways than just Danny.
    Remember that I'm responding to the argument that DG "right now" is a defensive upgrade over OJ, OJ is in shape and DG is not so I disagree that he is an upgrade"right now".

    And yes I'm OK with giving Danny playing time friday or whatever day to get in shape that is the normal thing teams do, I hope he gets in shape so I don't have to see OJ, Hill or Copeland ever again(I said this to Peck weeks ago).

  35. #898
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Even if he's not "right now" a better defender, do we expect that to remain true once his conditioning is up? I sure don't, and I think that's such a relatively small window that I would never let that be a reason to NOT start playing him if he's capable.

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  37. #899

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    Preseason matters a lot guys, just look at our preseason champions the Bulls and how amazing they look.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:


  39. #900
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

    The Pacers as a team looked mediocre at best during the preseason, sometimes flat out bad, let alone isolating particular player performances. I'm not worried about that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •