Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

How much weight should we put on the fact that he is running on the sidelines? Rondo is racing his teammates, but I don't think he's all that close to returning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR8ii...ature=youtu.be

Different player and different injury I know, but I'm not going to get interested until he returns to a real practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers didn't say 6 weeks though. The Pacers said 3 weeks. And AFAIK the Pacers never said Grade II either.
    So 6 weeks is a forum creation that has become part of the narrative as if it's an official statement. Grade II 3-6 weeks doesn't appear to be anything the Pacers ever said. The forum speculated all of that is what it looks like. The Pacers said 3 weeks.
    Have you ever rehabbed from a sports injury? Did your doctor look you in the I and say "In 3 weeks you will be healthy!" if he did, he blew it, there's no way of knowing. The Pacers put that timeline in there just to put a timeline in there. Anyone who says they knew exactly when they would feel better while rehabbing a sports injury is a liar.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    How much weight should we put on the fact that he is running on the sidelines? Rondo is racing his teammates, but I don't think he's all that close to returning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR8ii...ature=youtu.be

Different player and different injury I know, but I'm not going to get interested until he returns to a real practice.
    Any increased phsyical activity is a good thing.

I'm losing my patience with the lack of communication from the Pacers. I don't think it's too hard to tell people what he's been up too, and what they expect him to be doing in the next week or so. I know they don't want to heighten expectations and then have a setback, but I don't think it would be worse than saying 3 weeks and then getting zero updates for 4-5 weeks.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Yeah I think we can all agree we'd like to see an update soon.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

What I suspect is Bball, like me (older gents), has experienced past Pacers salesmen speak and have a hard time taking things with a grain of salt. Maybe if you had experienced the years of Clark Kellogg is doing fine and Steve Stiponavich is doing fine blah blah that came from the Pacers office your view point maybe slightly different.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Well I'm agreeing with him, the 3 weeks was salesman talk, but it's also just a case of a media guy saying what he's told to say. Any trainer should tell you that he has no idea how anyone will feel in 3 weeks, it's not like anti-biotics where you take so many doses and you feel better.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Any increased phsyical activity is a good thing.

I'm losing my patience with the lack of communication from the Pacers. I don't think it's too hard to tell people what he's been up too, and what they expect him to be doing in the next week or so. I know they don't want to heighten expectations and then have a setback, but I don't think it would be worse than saying 3 weeks and then getting zero updates for 4-5 weeks.
    I agree, running is better than not running.

I don't see the Pacers' communication tactics changing until they feel there is something substantial to report. My guess is that we won't get much of an update until he returns to practice. Until then, we'll continue to get short one sentence responses from Vogel.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

No matter how you slice it, Granger is behind schedule, and it's more than a few days. The Pacers said to expect him to miss 3 weeks. And they put a spin on it that it was purely precautionary. He's not even resumed practicing yet and 3 weeks of the season has more than passed. He also had several days of the preseason to rehab and heal. We're about to start the 8th week since the injury. That's a lot of time that's been available with sports medicine professionals to guide his rehab and recovery.

It would be nice to have an update that addresses that is all I'm saying. I suppose the other thing I'm saying is that some of you are using forum speculation as a crutch, or stating it as fact, to downplay some of this and then ignoring what the Pacers actually have said (which then leads you to say he's not far off schedule when yes, in fact, he is).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

No matter how you slice it, Granger is behind schedule, and it's more than a few days. The Pacers said to expect him to miss 3 weeks. And they put a spin on it that it was purely precautionary. He's not even resumed practicing yet and 3 weeks of the season has more than passed. He also had several days of the preseason to rehab and heal. We're about to start the 8th week since the injury. That's a lot of time that's been available with sports medicine professionals to guide his rehab and recovery.

It would be nice to have an update that addresses that is all I'm saying. I suppose the other thing I'm saying is that some of you are using forum speculation as a crutch, or stating it as fact, to downplay some of this and then ignoring what the Pacers actually have said (which then leads you to say he's not far off schedule when yes, in fact, he is).
    I'm just not sure who you're blaming for the confusion? The Pacers PR guys? If so then yes we're on the same page, I wish they gave us more updates.

If you're blaming Danny or the trainers for the schedule changing (which to me it kinda seems like you're doing), then all I can say is I completely disagree with you. I really do not care what the Pacers PR guys say about injury schedules. I've had more than enough of my own injuries to know how the schedule can change and much like a construction schedule sports rehab rarely finishes on time or under budget.

I wish we got daily updates about Danny so yeah I'm frustrated on that front as well. But I'm also frustrated by what I perceive to be some sort of insinuation that Danny or the trainers are not doing their job since he didn't hit the 3 week goal that a Pacers PR guy typed out in a press release.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-03-2013 at 01:40 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

I wish we got daily updates about Danny so yeah I'm frustrated on that front as well. But I'm also frustrated by what I perceive to be some sort of insinuation that Danny or the trainers are not doing their job since he didn't hit the 3 week goal that a Pacers PR guy typed out in a press release.
    I don't think anyone here doubts that the Pacers and Danny are doing all they possibly can to get him back on the court.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I'm just not sure who you're blaming for the confusion? The Pacers PR guys? If so then yes we're on the same page, I wish they gave us more updates.

If you're blaming Danny or the trainers for the schedule changing (which to me it kinda seems like you're doing), then all I can say is I completely disagree with you. I really do not care what the Pacers PR guys say about injury schedules. I've had more than enough of my own injuries to know how the schedule can change and much like a construction schedule sports rehab rarely finishes on time or under budget.

I'm not blaming trainers or Danny. I just think we are far enough past the 3 week window, particularly since it came with the spin that the time was precautionary, that there should be something explaining things a bit better as to the delay. And since Danny isn't practicing I find it hard to believe we're all that close to a return in a game or two so it's not like we can see a light at the end of the tunnel and know the delays are about over.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm not blaming trainers or Danny. I just think we are far enough past the 3 week window, particularly since it came with the spin that the time was precautionary, that there should be something explaining things a bit better as to the delay.
    What is there to explain? It's a strain. It heals on it's own schedule.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

I'll add.... the 800lb gorilla sitting on the couch is that coming off a season lost to a chronic knee problem, and surgery, the extended time and missed games leads to thoughts that maybe the knee is somehow related to the extended missed time.

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

How does a right knee injury lead to a left calf injury?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I Blame Vogel, didnt' limit his minutes in the Preseason. . Especially with the hectic schedule the Pacers had. Vogel has said that he won't play until he strings together a few practices with no pain, but to my recollection they have not been having any practices recently because of the heavy schedule.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    What is there to explain? It's a strain. It heals on it's own schedule.
    It's schedule is about to become 8 weeks and counting....

------

-John Wooden

I'll add.... the 800lb gorilla sitting on the couch is that coming off a season lost to a chronic knee problem, and surgery, the extended time and missed games leads to thoughts that maybe the knee is somehow related to the extended missed time.
    Sure this adds to it all like I said in my first post. Paranoia is part of a fan's genes.

I wish the Pacers were giving us something too, but like Since said I'm not sure they're going to give you all the info you want. Any timeline (as we've seen) would be meaningless anyway. Danny could walk in tomorrow and say the calf is feeling great, then have the pain show back up the next day or day after. The human body is weird.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-03-2013 at 02:04 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think part of it is that a younger guy with a standalone calf strain on a team doing about average would likely already be on the court and play through some soreness as long as nothing was being obviously re-aggravated.

Danny is older, coming off a more serious injury that could be impacted by the way the body weight shifts to compensate for soreness, and is on a team that is 16-2 without him.

That all translates to "don't put him on the floor until he is 100%" - or "until things go really south", whichever comes first.

Meaning that all previous ideas of when someone would be back are out the window because the Pacers aren't going to let it happen any earlier than perfection or emergency need.

I think if it were completely up to Danny he'd be back already.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It's schedule is about to become 8 weeks and counting....
    So...is that just what you want them to do just do a press release saying that?

Mood

I'll worry about Granger when he shows up in a game, until then I'll concentrate on how the Pacers are playing.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think part of it is that a younger guy with a standalone calf strain on a team doing about average would likely already be on the court and play through some soreness as long as nothing was being obviously re-aggravated.

Danny is older, coming off a more serious injury that could be impacted by the way the body weight shifts to compensate for soreness, and is on a team that is 16-2 without him.

That all translates to "don't put him on the floor until he is 100%" - or "until things go really south", whichever comes first.

Meaning that all previous ideas of when someone would be back are out the window because the Pacers aren't going to let it happen any earlier than perfection or emergency need.

I think if it were completely up to Danny he'd be back already.
    That would be the kind of update I think we should expect from the Pacers.... Not too technical. Just an overview of what is happening and why the 3 week prediction doesn't even appear to be close to accurate.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    What I suspect is Bball, like me (older gents), has experienced past Pacers salesmen speak and have a hard time taking things with a grain of salt. Maybe if you had experienced the years of Clark Kellogg is doing fine and Steve Stiponavich is doing fine blah blah that came from the Pacers office your view point maybe slightly different.
    I remember those days well. Different Front office personnel. These days, they simply say little. Don't know which I prefer.

That would be the kind of update I think we should expect from the Pacers.... Not too technical. Just an overview of what is happening and why the 3 week prediction doesn't even appear to be close to accurate.
    I'd agree with this. No reason not to put this out there, really. Doesn't benefit any opponent's game plan, doesn't release any private medical information, just explains why it is taking so long.

Of course, even THAT would probably be dissected to bits and every nuance used as weapons to justify the "Danny's done, PS&E are lying" argument by some people.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    I remember those days well. Different Front office personnel. These days, they simply say little. Don't know which I prefer.
    I definitely prefer this, no matter how crazy the extremes of speculation make me.
    BillS

I think part of it is the Pacers got burned a bit by trying to put timeline's on Danny last year, and already have seen that putting a public timeline out this year was not a good idea. They probably aren't going to do it again.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: