Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand that at all. He's going to take up the minutes that either Solomon Hill or Chris Copeland is getting at backup SF when he first comes back. How on earth is that going to make things worse?
    Probably because he was better than Gerald Green and Sam Young when he came back last season, but we stunk to start the season after it was thought he'd play all preseason, and then we stunk again (going 2-4) in the 6 games after he sat back out last season.

I'm not concerned about chemistry issues until that presents itself. An 80% Granger is a player I want coming off the bench instead of OJ and Solomon Hill. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't believe for a second he should start and upset that situation. Should he take a few minutes from Lance and Paul too? Sure, that's fine. But I want him in the back seat, not the front seat. I want guys who I really believe are going to be available...that I can really rely on to be there...in June to be "the guys". The reason? You only have so many shots at a championship.

With Thanksgiving in the rear view mirror...to me...Granger is the gravy...perhaps a nice helping of gravy...up to 25 mpg if he's healthy. So he can mix with the main course. But he's not the main course. He can be the appetizer or dessert. But only Lance can be the turkey...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

FYI... this calf strain happened Oct 16th (aggravated on the 18th). It's Nov 28th now. So 3 weeks is far in the rear view mirror. He has completed 6 weeks and started on the 7th.

INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Pacers small forward Danny Granger will be out about three weeks as the NBA regular season commences with a strained left calf, the team announced Monday morning.

Granger, who missed most of last season with a left knee injury, played in five preseason games. He sat out the final three preseason games. The three-week timeline relates only to the calf injury, not the knee injury, the team said in a news release.

POWER RANKINGS: Pacers near the top

KRAVITZ: When Granger's healthy, start him

"The length of time is a precautionary measure as the team wants to ensure Granger is physically ready to play in light of missing all but five games last season due to his knee injury," the news release said.

Granger strained the calf Oct. 16, his first start of the preseason, while jumping against the Dallas Mavericks.

Granger described the calf as feeling "tight," although he initially believed that he could continue playing. Before the Pacers played in Chicago on Oct. 18, Granger had an MRI. The results were negative. Granger, however, aggravated the injury in Chicago.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...diana/3286111/
    Last edited by Bball; 11-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    FYI... this calf strain happened Oct 16th (aggravated on the 18th). It's Nov 28th now. So 3 weeks is far in the rear view mirror. He has completed 6 weeks and started on the 7th.
    They said "3 more weeks" after he had already missed three weeks. He was expected to start practicing this past week.

And for others in the thread, Danny, Vogel, and CBuckner have all said it's not the knee.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as he's 100% fine and content with that role, and physically recovered enough to be as good or better than those players in that role, then I don't see how his return would make things worse necessarily. OTOH, I'm not exactly sure Granger would be fine with that role for any length... or considering the rust and slowness of the return, whether he'd actually be better than those guys at this point. Of course as long as it's just rust then that should work itself out just leaving the question of whether Danny will remain fine that with that type of role. And whether any existing players take sides. Let's remember, it's not just Granger that would be affected by his return. You could always have a situation where a hobbled Granger taking minutes away from a player or two might cause issues with those players that causes issues to grow from that with the lockerroom taking sides. He wouldn't necessarily even have to be hobbled for that to occur...
    Lets be honest for a second.

Its not like there is great chemistry to disrupt in the second unit. Whenever our bench is on the floor, as improved as they are, I am just hoping they can maintain the lead.

Example: Every second quarter we have played this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    They said "3 more weeks" after he had already missed three weeks. He was expected to start practicing this past week.

And for others in the thread, Danny, Vogel, and CBuckner have all said it's not the knee.
    But this ignores that the issue is now into worst case territory. He was expected to start practicing... and didn't...
    You can start the clock whenever you want, but to see how long the injury is lingering you have to go back to when it happened. If the normal rehab/healing time is 3-6 weeks... we're past the worst case of that window.

I'd have to say it's getting pretty discouraging that it's taken this long and it has to start to make people wonder. Meanwhile, the team keeps winning and developing without Granger in the picture.

As BnG says, if he can come back at some point it's gravy. But OTOH, he's just not that important now and I'm far more interested in that championship then trying to find legacy minutes for Granger. If he can bring something to that quest great... but that quest isn't hurting right now just the way things are.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Honestly, I kinda want Danny to just be out for the year so everybody'll shut the **** up and start enjoying being the best team in the league. This is the best Pacers team in NBA history and people're complaining.

Danny comes back and contributes? Gravy, we're even better. He can't? That sucks, but won't appreciate him any less.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Danny Gravy, I really like that perspective, Mr White.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Honestly, I kinda want Danny to just be out for the year so everybody'll shut the **** up and start enjoying being the best team in the league. This is the best Pacers team in NBA history and people're complaining.

Danny comes back and contributes? Gravy, we're even better. He can't? That sucks, but won't appreciate him any less.
    You know, I think that the folks who are important, the Pacers fans themselves, ARE enjoying the Pacers being the best team in the league. Despite our internal squabbles.

If constant talk nationally about Danny Granger coming back removes a little of the talk/attention towards our record and position in the league, I think that might even be a good thing. Maybe it even removes some of the pressure off the players.

Or, maybe it even provides the current players a driving force to be better. "Oh, everybody's saying how good we could actually be once Danny returns, then we guess we will have to prove just how good we can be right now, even without him."

It's hard to say how having one of your best players unavailable can work. I think at times it can work both ways... For and against you.

Despite the disagreements we have here on the forum, I find it hard to believe that Granger's absence is affecting the team in a (psychologically) negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Danny Gravy, I really like that perspective, Mr White.
    Goes well with Mrs White's green beans.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Also, are people really squabbling/complaining now? I'm just noticing different opinions on his health and his role, but I think everyone is thrilled with the team right now, yes?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Let's remember, it's not just Granger that would be affected by his return. You could always have a situation where a hobbled Granger taking minutes away from a player or two might cause issues with those players that causes issues to grow from that with the lockerroom taking sides. He wouldn't necessarily even have to be hobbled for that to occur...
    Come on Bball, let's get real. Do you really think the TPTB or even the top 6-7 players themselves are concerned one bit with how Danny's return and soaking up extra minutes might affect Copeland or SHill? If there are scrubs on your bench that actually DO have a problem with Vogel playing Granger in an attempt to evaluate how much of Danny is still there, there is a very simple solution. You dump the scrubs and go with Granger and the other remaining bench players. I'm sure OJ will have no problem with that at all.

A team doesn't give two craps about how the return of a former star player affects the psyche of two of it's scrub players. Instead, they are more concerned about determining whether the former star player is currently still a star player.
    Last edited by beast23; 11-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Come on Bball, let's get real. Do you really think the TPTB or even the top 6-7 players themselves are concerned one bit with how Danny's return and soaking up extra minutes might affect Copeland or SHill? If there are scrubs on your bench that actually DO have a problem with Vogel playing Granger in an attempt to evaluate how much of Danny is still there, there is a very simple solution. You dump the scrubs and go with Granger and the other remaining bench players. I'm sure OJ will have no problem with that at all.

A team doesn't give two craps about how the return of a former star player affects the psyche of two of it's scrub players. Instead, they are more concerned about determining whether the former star player is currently still a star player.
    It depends on whether he'd return ready to go quickly shaking the rust off or returns a shell of himself, in and out of the lineup, on and off availability, attitude, etc....

------

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think you also have to figure that a returned Granger is always going to be on the radar for finishing the game instead of Lance. What's that do for Lance's confidence? Could work either way.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

25. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think you also have to figure that a returned Granger is always going to be on the radar for finishing the game instead of Lance. What's that do for Lance's confidence? Could work either way.
    Good point. I was assuming at this point it wouldn't go that direction but that assumption wasn't based on much.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

They didn't actually say "3 more weeks" in the article I pasted. They said "Indiana Pacers small forward Danny Granger will be out about three weeks as the NBA regular season commences with a strained left calf, the team announced Monday morning."

Really, that reads like he should've been out a total of about 3 weeks. Your paraphrasing and adding 'more' to the sentence is a change that wasn't really there. Of course my overall point remains, we need to start the clock on the injury when it occurred and not when the Pacers talked about so it still into the 7th week of healing/rehab with the return still not really on the radar.

It's discouraging that it's taken this long. We can move the goalposts and interject speculation about what was said versus what was meant regarding the rehab time, but we are locked into the start date on the injury and it's now into 7 weeks since it happened. There's really no way to sugarcoat it, it's taking longer than expected.

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

No offense, but why are we even concerned with "a clock". It seems to me that a clock only implies some level of blame or accountability. What then, do we take the "guilty" party out back and beat the hell out of them?

Granger will be back when the appropriate people believe him to be completely healed. No sooner, no later. We've waited this long, I don't think it's going to cause any deaths to wait just a while longer, however longer a while" happens to be.

The only thing we do know is that it is on the horizon and will eventually happen, despite how long it may take.

The idea of a clock is to interject some perspective into the discussion. The bad news is that Granger's injury is exceeding the expected recovery time. The good news is this team has had plenty of time to develop without Danny as part of the picture and is able to win without him.

Secondarily, it also shows that concerns that some have about Danny's health moving forward aren't just made up out of nothing. There is a basis for them. It's not a position that should be ridiculed for example.... IMHO....

I agree with you, Granger will be back when he's back. How effective he'll be and whether that return is long term or in skips and jumps is still in question and will be until he proves he can return, be effective, and stay consistent in his role (whatever that may be).

Fortunately, it doesn't really seem to matter on the court right now.

------

-John Wooden

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    If Lance can't deal with Granger coming back you have to question if you even want Lance on the team next year.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Right. But my point is that he will be 31 by the time the most important games of the season are played.
    Which has nothing to do with his current age. You only put that in there the way you did to make him seem older than he really is. He is 30 right now, and his injury is right now. Him being 31 by the end of the season has nothing to do with anything. That is what really grinds my gears. Misrepresentation of reality. When it comes to the "anti-Danny" crowd half of what is said is a misrepresentation of the truth. If your points were valid there would be no reason to try and make him appear older than he is, or try to make him seem like a worse player than he actually was.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 11-29-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Which has nothing to do with his current age. You only put that in there the way you did to make him seem older than he really is. He is 30 right now, and his injury is right now. Him being 31 by the end of the season has nothing to do with anything. That is what really grinds my gears. Misrepresentation of reality. When it comes to the "anti-Danny" crowd half of what is said is a misrepresentation of the truth. If your points were valid there would be no reason to try and make him appear older than he is, or try to make him seem like a worse player than he actually was.

Saying that he will be 31 by the end of the season is not a misrepresentation of reality. It's a factual statement.

Sports Logo

If Lance can't deal with Granger coming back you have to question if you even want Lance on the team next year.
    If the concern that McKeyFan has is that Lance could lose some of his confidence because Vogel chooses to have Granger finish the game ( over him ), then my concern would be that Lance is mentally mature enough to handle such a move.

But this scenario is IMHO unlikely.....I doubt that Vogel would ever finish a game without Lance in the closing lineup if the game is close....we all know that the best lienup that we have includes Lance at the SG spot. The only scenario that I can see Granger in a Closing lineup ( which would include Lance and take out West at the PF spot ) is if we needed to go small ball while needing a 3pt shot to tie the game.

I have no problem with having Gramger start ( for various reasons ), but i do recognize that just because he starts...doesn't mean that he finishes the game.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-29-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think it's beginning to sink in. Granger will never be the same player. At one time he was clearly better than George Hill. That will never again be the case...not as a Pacer. At one time, he was better than Lance is right now, simply because he was such a good shooter. Again, that will never again be the case as a Pacer.

His shooting may still be there, but he will never again be able to defend or get open quite as well. He's also not going to be as physically strong. It's not that Granger is ancient. It's that he's coming off a knee injury that had him out of the league for a year and a half AND he's not a young player. He just won't have the same lift and speed. By the time he's 32, he joins all vets on their way down hill. That drop off is coming soon. He might possibly have one more excellent year but it's not going to be this year...and most important he won't be doing that in Indy. Let's just hope he comes back and gets to 80% for the playoffs. That's not going to be good enough to close out games. But it will help the bench significantly. Next year is Granger's last chance to play at a very high level and unfortunately it will not be as a Pacer.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think it's beginning to sink in. Granger will never be the same player. At one time he was clearly better than George Hill. That will never again be the case...not as a Pacer. At one time, he was better than Lance is right now, simply because he was such a good shooter. Again, that will never again be the case as a Pacer.

His shooting may still be there, but he will never again be able to defend or get open quite as well. He's also not going to be as physically strong. It's not that Granger is ancient. It's that he's coming off a knee injury that had him out of the league for a year and a half AND he's not a young player. He just won't have the same lift and speed. By the time he's 32, he joins all vets on their way down hill. That drop off is coming soon. He might possibly have one more excellent year but it's not going to be this year...and most important he won't be doing that in Indy. Let's just hope he comes back and gets to 80% for the playoffs. That's not going to be good enough to close out games. But it will help the bench significantly. Next year is Granger's last chance to play at a very high level and unfortunately it will not be as a Pacer.
    You got any lottery numbers for us?

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    You got any lottery numbers for us?
    Yes. #10. That was the time we picked Paul George who has replaced Granger as our franchise player.

The fact is, you have a better chance winning the lottery than seeing Granger in a Pacer jersey a year from now. He's not playing now and he will not be playing for the Pacers a year from now. At best, he's a 6 month rental coming off the bench to pour in a few points a game.