Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So when did Granger get a Hobby Farm and what difference does it make if his calf is sore?
    I suppose it is a moooot point.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I suppose it is a moooot point.
    That is terribull. I suppose you're going to milk this for all it's worth.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That is terribull. I suppose you're going to milk this for all it's worth.
    Only until the rest of PD cowers in fear.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Which begs the question. What does the cow say?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Maybe today is the day.
    Danny has some major motivation to play as many games as he can this year. Every game missed at this point has a negative effect on his next contract.

Only until the rest of PD cowers in fear.
    I doubt it. I think some udder people might join in.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I doubt it. I think some udder people might join in.
    Just the cream of the crop.
    BillS

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    But telling me how many assists gets, doesn't tell me how often a player passes or how willing a player is at passing. That's why we look at usage rate..........
    I don't mean to be insulting or anything.........but, do we really need to look at all these stats when we can simply watch the games to see how willing a player is to pass the ball?

Seems like we tend to complicate things sometimes when there is a simpler way. No stat is going to tell you how many times a player missed a chance to pass to an open team-mate, or how many times a player did not pass because no one was open. Only observation will tell you that. Even then, we don't know if the player himself saw the coverage, or lack of coverage.

Of course, if a person has a pre-determined opinion of a player, neither stats nor observation are going to change that.

Just the cream of the crop.
    I figured more people would join in. Why do you think they're stalling?

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I don't mean to be insulting or anything.........but, do we really need to look at all these stats when we can simply watch the games to see how willing a player is to pass the ball?

Seems like we tend to complicate things sometimes when there is a simpler way. No stat is going to tell you how many times a player missed a chance to pass to an open team-mate, or how many times a player did not pass because no one was open. Only observation will tell you that. Even then, we don't know if the player himself saw the coverage, or lack of coverage.

Of course, if a person has a pre-determined opinion of a player, neither stats nor observation are going to change that.
    Sure. But we've seen Danny with this team during the preseason, and he was a willing passer. That's not enough, apparently, so we're reaching back.

But ultimately this entire discussion will go away once Danny gets back onto the court. Until then it's just conjecture, and nobody's opinion is going to change.

So may I recommend making cow puns instead?

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I figured more people would join in. Why do you think they're stalling?
    Hay, why horn in on their lofty ideals about black cows ... er ... holes?
    BillS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mmmmm. Black cows. Two scoops of vanilla ice cream in a tall glass then filled with Coke. Haven't had one in years. I think there is a permanent hole, or void, in my stomach from missing them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I don't mean to be insulting or anything.........but, do we really need to look at all these stats when we can simply watch the games to see how willing a player is to pass the ball.
    Because we're human, and we have biasness in what we see, or even we have biasness towards ourselves and inflate our abilities. But it's not an either/or thing, you use both.

http://www.businessinsider.com/quest...-wrong-2012-12
    Harvard students get near-perfect SAT scores. These are smart, smart kids. So they shouldn't have trouble with a simple logic question, right?
    Try the following puzzle:
    A bat and ball cost $1.10.
    The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
    How much does the ball cost?

Scroll down for the answer ...

You probably answered 10˘. That's what most Harvard students answered. But the real answer is 5˘.

Behavioral economist Daniel Kahneman explains why most people get this wrong:
    A number came to your mind. The number, of course, is 10: 10˘. The distinctive mark of this easy puzzle is that it evokes an answer that is intuitive, appealing, and wrong. Do the math, and you will see. If the ball costs 10 ˘, then the cost will be $1.20 (10˘ for the ball and $1.10 for the bat), not $1.10. The correct answer is 5˘. It is safe to assume that the intuitive answer also came to the mind of those who ended up with the correct number—they somehow managed to resist the intuition.

Many thousands of university students have answered the bat-and-ball puzzle, and the results are shocking. More than 50% of students at Harvard, MIT, and Princeton gave the intuitive—incorrect—answer. At less selective universities, the rate of demonstrable failure to check was in excess of 80%. The bat-and-ball problem is our first encounter with an observation that will be a recurrent theme of this book: many people are overconfident, prone to place too much faith in their intuitions. They apparently find cognitive effort at least mildly unpleasant and avoid it as much as possible.

This excerpt comes from Kahneman's 2011 book, "Thinking, Fast And Slow," which posits that we have an intuitive mental system and a logical mental system, and we often use the wrong one at the wrong time.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

That's moosic to my ears!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Good Humor.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I respect that you're trying to steer the conversation back to Danny, but I find puns to be a greener pasture.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    That's moosic to my ears!
    Moo was already taken! Find a different cow word!

#PunNazi

Enjoy your time at PD!

Many, maybe eve most, of the folks that have been in Danny's camp have even concluded/stated that after seeing Lance's continued improvement into this season that they could be content with Lance continuing to start once Granger returns. We have recognized that each player brings different things to the table and that their respective skills would enable them both to contribute in different ways to the starting lineup, or even to the second unit for that matter. Each player would have a positive influence on whichever unit he is playing with.

But after this discovery or admission, it seems that some have now shifted from a Lance-Danny debate towards Danny bashing. It might be time to look in the mirror. Just sayin'.

Since most of the discussion seems to depend on the hypotheticals of what Danny will or will not be once he returns anyway, can't we get this whole issue behind us and start to move forward?

Curd we get this back on track? Any subject utter than this would be an improvement.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Can we please stop with the puns and steer this thread back in the proper direction? I think Granger can play a Manu or Crawford type role off the bench when he's healthy. He's not going to chuck up shots as soon as he returns, but we shouldn't hide him at the corner three spot either - the guy needs the ball at the top of the key.

I think the puns are buttering people up instead of whipping them into a frenzy. It's much more fun than debating whether alfalfa a badly stated objection to statistics.
    BillS

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Curd we get this back on track? Any subject utter than this would be an improvement.
    Hey, you trying to get into the grammar thread at the same time? You're really multi-tasking here.

It's an udder disaster how you talk about those utter mammaries. Or visey-versey or sumpin like dat.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

This humor needs to hoof it on out of here.

And don't make me tell you again,

I don't chew my cud twice!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys are really milking this topic to death!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I have been following this thread heifer since it was started, but it's got increasingly more enjoyabull the last couple of pages.

(I know bull's already been used, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity)