Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 1696

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

  1. #251
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I've seen from PG is that when you body him up and get physical with him he goes into a shell or begs for calls from the refs.
    The constant whining to the refs is concerning. If you're not getting the calls then adjust, you're a long lanky dude with a good first step, get to the rim and give em no choice but to blow the whistle. Don't give a jab step and launch an 18 footer.

    Nevermind that it's just annoying. If he was on another team we'd talk all kinds of crap about it.

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  3. #252
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,754

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I've seen from PG is that when you body him up and get physical with him he goes into a shell or begs for calls from the refs.
    You said "far in the playoffs". If you had said "go to the finals" I might agree with you on Lance. But Paul George? Luol Deng has shut down many a player and Paul is still getting better. I'm not worried about Paul George. The only question is when he overcomes that level of defense...not if he overcomes it.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  5. #253
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,914

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ill advised shots. I suppose it was from ill advice given by perhaps one of the worst coaches in the history of the NBA.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. I can live with that definition. It was what the coach wanted. Thankfully, this coach is different and the team is better. Vogel isn't going to ask for those shots and Danny isn't going to take them
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  6. #254
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    All I know is we need another SF who stops the Joe Johnsons, the Paul Pierces, the Luol Dengs, and the Lebron James from posting up so freaking easy. And if Danny is that guy, and he hits the three. Awesome. But I will wait till he can practice more than 3 times a week before I put too much hope in that.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  8. #255

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, it is a pretty crazy idea. There are people out there who think he is a chucker because of his shooting percentage, but you are the first person I have ever seen call him a blackhole. Calling him such suggests that once he gets the ball a shot is going up or there is going to be a turnover, which just has never been the case with Danny.
    I wasn't even the first to say it in this thread, I just agreed. Then I later showed you lists/articles that say Danny can be a black hole. So no, I'm not the first to think that.

  9. #256

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying that Danny is a playmaker, but the things we're talking about are based on what he does when he's done with the ball. He either shoots, turns the ball over, or passes. How long it takes him to do any of those three doesn't matter. How good he is at facilitating another player doesn't matter. If he isn't shooting too much and he isn't turning the ball over too much, he must be passing it. Is he passing it to a player in scoring position? Obviously not, based on the assist numbers, but he's passing the ball as part of the middle of an offensive play or getting it back to the backcourt facilitator (usually the point guard) or in to the center (when playing an in-and-out game). If he holds the ball and does nothing with it, that would end up a turnover. If he just heaves up shots that would add to his shots taken.
    Danny can't see or make the play for his teammates, and he shoots a lot. I consider that a black hole. Apparently we define it differently. Just curious, who do you consider to be a black hole and why? Rudy, Monta, guys that get a lot of hate around here...what makes them different from Danny?
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 11-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.

  10. #257
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny can't see or make the play for his teammates, and he shoots a lot. I consider that a black hole. Apparently we define it differently. Just curious, who do you consider to be a black hole and why? Rudy, Monta, guys that get a lot of hate around here...what makes them different from Danny?
    First, I tend not to use the phrase "black hole" because I think it is a perception from fans that is far too often based on how a player is used by the coach's offense.

    If I were to use the phrase, it would be to describe someone who always shoots when they get the ball and turns it over otherwise. Passing to a playmaker who then makes the play is not a black hole - not everyone can be a playmaker and not everyone is supposed to be looking for the play when they get the ball. It is why I don't like using assists to determine whether or not a player made a valuable pass - if the player is on the perimeter strong side, then passes to the guy at the top of the key who then gets the ball in to the weak side guy cutting to the basket for the score, did the first guy fail? No, it was set up that way to substitute 2 safe passes for a risky one across defenders.

    We can agree that Danny isn't a playmaker while disagreeing that he is a detriment to everyone else on the floor because once he gets the ball they won't see it until they get back on defense.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  12. #258
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't even the first to say it in this thread, I just agreed. Then I later showed you lists/articles that say Danny can be a black hole. So no, I'm not the first to think that.
    The problem is, you've been given numbers that disprove that theory, and instead of even acknowledging them, you've ignored them.

    Let's go over this again, and you can explain where the difference is, maybe.

    Danny played 36mpg. PG plays 36mpg. Danny had a usage rate of about 29%. PG has a usage rate of about 29%. Danny turns the ball over twice a game. PG turns the ball over twice a game. Danny shot the ball 18 times per game. PG shoots the ball 18 times per game. If PG is passing the other times during the time he has the ball, and he's not a blackhole what is Danny doing that makes him a blackhole?

    If you're opinion was correct, Danny's fg attempts and usage rate would be higher than PG's. Yet it's not. Danny had the ball as much in his hands as PG does right now. Their shoot attempts are pretty much identical. The ONLY difference is their assist numbers. Assists don't equal how often you pass.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #259
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,106

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    I wonder if he's practicing today.

  15. #260

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is, you've been given numbers that disprove that theory, and instead of even acknowledging them, you've ignored them.

    Let's go over this again, and you can explain where the difference is, maybe.

    Danny played 36mpg. PG plays 36mpg. Danny had a usage rate of about 29%. PG has a usage rate of about 29%. Danny turns the ball over twice a game. PG turns the ball over twice a game. Danny shot the ball 18 times per game. PG shoots the ball 18 times per game. If PG is passing the other times during the time he has the ball, and he's not a blackhole what is Danny doing that makes him a blackhole?

    If you're opinion was correct, Danny's fg attempts and usage rate would be higher than PG's. Yet it's not. Danny had the ball as much in his hands as PG does right now. Their shoot attempts are pretty much identical. The ONLY difference is their assist numbers. Assists don't equal how often you pass.
    So we're supposed to just dismiss assists and assist %? Two guys playing the exact same position in the exact same offense? No, I don't think so. There's nothing you've posted that's disproven my opinion.

    Doesn't matter, the point of the links were to show I'm not alone in thinking Danny has been a ball stopper, black hole, whatever you want to call it. I gotta feeling my opinion was part of the reason I got an infraction, and m sure you and mattie came out clean even though the lame posts you guys made were considerably worse than anything I've said in this thread.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  17. #261
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we're supposed to just dismiss assists and assist %? Two guys playing the exact same position in the exact same offense? No, I don't think so. There's nothing you've posted that's disproven my opinion.

    Doesn't matter, the point of the links were to show I'm not alone in thinking Danny has been a ball stopper, black hole, whatever you want to call it. I gotta feeling my opinion was part of the reason I got an infraction, and m sure you and mattie came out clean even though the lame posts you guys made were considerably worse than anything I've said in this thread.
    No, it means the assist and assist% stats are being misused to represent something they do no inherently represent. They do not represent how often someone passes, they only represent how often someone makes a shot immediately after a pass without taking any dribbles. Assists represents a very narrow range of passes that do not make up the majority of passes that occur during the course of the game. If I had to estimate I would get assists consists of less than 15% of all passes during a game.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  19. #262
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we're supposed to just dismiss assists and assist %? Two guys playing the exact same position in the exact same offense? No, I don't think so. There's nothing you've posted that's disproven my opinion.
    Dismiss them? No. But telling me how many assists gets, doesn't tell me how often a player passes or how willing a player is at passing. That's why we look at usage rate, because it quantifies how often a player has the ball in their hands. If Danny isn't shooting the ball, and he isn't turning the ball over, there is only one possible explanation.

    People also criticize Rondo and his perceived lack of passing, even though he averages a lot of assists. They say that he only passes when he knows there is an assist opportunity. I'm using all the numbers, together, to paint a picture instead of relying on or dismissing just one.

    And that's my point, you don't even attempt to explain any of it, it just "doesn't matter" and you continue down the biased beaten path.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  21. #263

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dismiss them? No. But telling me how many assists gets, doesn't tell me how often a player passes or how willing a player is at passing. That's why we look at usage rate, because it quantifies how often a player has the ball in their hands. If Danny isn't shooting the ball, and he isn't turning the ball over, there is only one possible explanation.

    People also criticize Rondo and his perceived lack of passing, even though he averages a lot of assists. They say that he only passes when he knows there is an assist opportunity. I'm using all the numbers, together, to paint a picture instead of relying on or dismissing just one.

    And that's my point, you don't even attempt to explain any of it, it just "doesn't matter" and you continue down the biased beaten path.
    So you need a number to tell you Danny stops the basketball? Well, your not gonna get it, and your not gonna throw out a number that proves he gives the ball up. It's an opinion and I don't think it's a biased one. I do think yours may be a little homerish though. JMO

  22. #264
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Shooting the ball is a quantified stat. It's not like saying a player looks pretty, which is subjective. If Danny shoots the ball at a high rate, there would be numbers to back it up, yet you can't find a single one. Quite telling.

    Seeing as how PG's and Danny's shooting rates are the same, Paul George is a blackhole. Don't tell me otherwise, I like the darkness of the sand in and around my neck.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  24. #265

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shooting the ball is a quantified stat. It's not like saying a player looks pretty, which is subjective. If Danny shoots the ball at a high rate, there would be numbers to back it up, yet you can't find a single one. Quite telling.

    Seeing as how PG's and Danny's shooting rates are the same, Paul George is a blackhole. Don't tell me otherwise, I like the darkness of the sand in and around my neck.
    Who cares about their shooting rates? Danny misses people all the time. In the half court, in transition, wherever. He hasn't seen the floor. I consider that black holeish, you don't, deal with it.

  25. #266
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Obviously you care about shooting rates, if you say that he's a black hole because he shoots too much.

    And that's why I brought up PG, because of how identical their numbers are. You're willing to call one a blackhole, while punting towards the other. It shows clear biasness, not based on play, but rather who we're talking about. Inconsistent in your application of the arugment.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-18-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  27. #267
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw this same PG and Lance in the playoffs last year when the season was on the line. They are young, I understand that, but they need to grow up and mature some more for the Pacers to get out of the East.
    Extremely young is more like it. I think sometimes we forget PG and Lance's age due to how well they play. They're the youngest guys on the team except for Solo Hill. Yes, they're younger than OJ or Sloan.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  29. #268
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can agree that Danny isn't a playmaker while disagreeing that he is a detriment to everyone else on the floor because once he gets the ball they won't see it until they get back on defense.
    Yup. I just wish it's this easy to end an argument.

    Danny acknowledged it himself in an interview recently. Something to the effect that he's more of a scorer while Paul is more of a facilitator. Which doesn't mean he's a blackhole, only that he's more likely to shoot than pass as compared to PG in a given circumstance.

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  31. #269
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,082

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    I am in the camp that says Danny isn't a black hole. Tyler Hansbrough is a black hole. Al Harrington is a black hole.

    Danny Granger is a scorer.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  32. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  33. #270

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw this same PG and Lance in the playoffs last year when the season was on the line. They are young, I understand that, but they need to grow up and mature some more for the Pacers to get out of the East.
    That's why Danny is important. Good vet's are always important.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  35. #271
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why Danny is important. Good vet's are always important.
    You rarely, if ever, see young teams winning championships. They are almost always middle aged or older teams.

  36. #272
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,914

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny can't see or make the play for his teammates, and he shoots a lot. I consider that a black hole. Apparently we define it differently. Just curious, who do you consider to be a black hole and why? Rudy, Monta, guys that get a lot of hate around here...what makes them different from Danny?
    What makes them different is that they have the ability to pass (especially Monta) but they just prefer to not do it.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  37. #273
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,914

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we're supposed to just dismiss assists and assist %? Two guys playing the exact same position in the exact same offense? No, I don't think so. There's nothing you've posted that's disproven my opinion.
    1) You do not get an assist for passing the ball. You get an assist for passing the ball to someone who scores. To pass the ball to someone who is in a scoring position you need to do things. 1) Willingness and 2) Ability. Paul has both the willingness and the ability to pass. Danny has the willingness but he does not have the ability to do it.

    2) Our offense this year is much different than it was two years ago. We are running a lot more Pick and Roll and Pick and Pop this year and we're posting up less. We have jumped 10 spots in most Assist categories this year compared to last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I gotta feeling my opinion was part of the reason I got an infraction, and m sure you and mattie came out clean even though the lame posts you guys made were considerably worse than anything I've said in this thread.
    And there goes the victim card again. Try this. Tell the rest of the forum which posts you think deserve an infraction and compare them with your post that got one.

    I'm seriously tired of this victim card that some people constantly use.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  39. #274
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) You do not get an assist for passing the ball. You get an assist for passing the ball to someone who scores. To pass the ball to someone who is in a scoring position you need to do things. 1) Willingness and 2) Ability. Paul has both the willingness and the ability to pass. Danny has the willingness but he does not have the ability to do it.
    I would add that the person you pass to has to take the assisted shot and make it. Considering the offense in some of the JOB years neither of those was a given.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  41. #275
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,237

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice


    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •