Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and the alternative solution is to let Danny walk and get nothing in return? It's been done I suppose...
    I look at it as the alternative is letting Lance walk. Any contract we bring in for Danny, including that of a prospect, would jepordize the ability to resign Lance. And to think that we are going to be able to bring back a decent prospect for Danny at this point is purely a pipe dream even with taking back a bad contract, which would further hamper the ability to resign Lance.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Sadly that's the price of being all in now. Granger isn't going anywhere this year and it doesn't matter if he returns to all star form or doesn't play another game. There are any number of ways things can play out between now and the end of the season but the most likely outcome is that Granger will be gone after the run this year.
    QFT. We will lose an asset for nothing, and probably another over the course of the next few years, but we have pushed all of our chips to the center of the table, and I am confident that this group faces a serious possibility of the ultimate goal.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Any contract we bring in for Danny, including that of a prospect, would jepordize the ability to resign Lance.
    Basically, Lance IS the prospect.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    I look at it as the alternative is letting Lance walk. Any contract we bring in for Danny, including that of a prospect, would jepordize the ability to resign Lance. And to think that we are going to be able to bring back a decent prospect for Danny at this point is purely a pipe dream even with taking back a bad contract, which would further hamper the ability to resign Lance.
    Good point. Even if we take just a liittle salary back it does jeopardize Lance. It's not worth doing that...just to squeeze a little more juice from the orange.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love Danny, and the fact that he has been dealing with injuries once the team around him has finally become elite is incredibly difficult to stomach for fans who saw him give his best years to bad Pacers teams... However, as much as I hate saying it, he will be signing elsewhere as a FA unless some GM offers Larry some incredibly lopsided deal in our favor that allows us to keep cap flexibility.

My sincere hope is that Danny ends his Pacers career with a ring as a contributor.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

We're still talking about this?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Does anybody know if Granger took part in any activity today?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Does anybody know if Granger took part in any activity today?
    Nope. Sat out again due to the respiratory infection. Said he's officially out this weekend and they're looking at getting him back into the mix next week.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Nope. Sat out again due to the respiratory infection. Said he's officially out this weekend and they're looking at getting him back into the mix next week.
    Well if Danny has a cold I hope he's not sitting on the bench passing it to the rest of the team.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Well if Danny has a cold I hope he's not sitting on the bench passing it to the rest of the team.
    What, knees are contagious now?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=BillS;1735398]
    Well, yeah, for a team trying to share the ball calling a player a black hole is essentially saying he's not good enough to even play spot minutes. That's pretty harsh.
    I think your reaching a bit there, I guess we have different definitions of what a black hole is. A player doesn't have to be selfish IMO to be a black hole. Danny's lack of skill in certain areas causes him to have tunnel vision on the court. I don't consider him selfish, he just doesn't the ability to make plays for his teammates. Rudy, on the other hand, does have the necessary skills to be more of a playmaker, but he still chooses not too. I do consider that selfish.

If all you mean is that he shoots more than he should, there are lots of ways to say it other than implying he's selfish and never gioes up the ball. Which leads to the question you were asked - if he shoots the same number of times as PG and turns it over the same number of times as PG, what is he doing the rest of the time that is different from what PG does such that he's a black hole?[/
    Not assisting and dribbling with his head down straight to the basket. There's really no comparison between the two when it comes to playmaking.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 11-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I think your reaching a bit there, I guess we have a different definitions of what a black hole is. A player doesn't have to be selfish IMO to be a black hole. Danny's lack of skill in certain area causes him to have tunnel vision on the court. I don't consider him selfish, he just doesn't the ability to make plays for his teammates. Rudy, on the other hand, does have the necessary skills to be more of a playmaker, but he still chooses not too. I do consider that selfish.
    So, your definition of black hole differs with the rest of us. Fair enough then.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    So, your definition of black hole differs with the rest of us. Fair enough then.
    Nah, I think your definition may differ from the rest of US.

http://basketball-statistics.com/who...einthenba.html

obviously, this is years ago and one of Danny's best years. And best passing year. This guy's formula still said Danny was a black hole
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 11-16-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Sports Logo

Nah, I think your definition may differ from the rest of US.

http://basketball-statistics.com/who...einthenba.html

obviously, this is years ago and one of Danny's best years. And best passing year. This guy's formula still said Danny was a black hole
    No offense to the Black Hole Index but the majority of NBA fans use the term "black hole" as another way of saying "selfish". It's similar to the relation between the term "chucker" and "inefficient".

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

No offense to the Black Hole Index but the majority of NBA fans use the term "black hole" as another way of saying "selfish". It's similar to the relation between the term "chucker" and "inefficient".
    That's fine. Danny has played a selfish game. Doesn't mean he's a selfish person. Here's a more recent list from basketball reference.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8847

Sports Logo

That's fine. Danny has played a selfish game. Doesn't mean he's a selfish person. Here's a more recent list from basketball reference.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8847
    Interesting. So, according to this list a player like Danilo Gallinari who is heralded as a team player and has thrown awesome passes like this one ->

is more of a "black hole" than Granger. Right? Isn't it what it says? And how about Nic Batum being close as well? Could a player that is commented for his all-around game like Nic be a "black hole"? And how about Luol Deng that appears more interested in passing than shooting and yet it doesn't translate to assists?

We need to differentiate two things here. The first thing is willingness to pass. The second thing is ability to pass. There is a huge difference between those two. Kobe and Monta have great ability to pass the ball but they are not always willing to do it. Deng and Granger are willing to pass the ball but they lack the ability to do that as often as they would like.

Look, I have been following the Pacers since the start of the lockout season. I am well aware that you have bled for this team more than me. Almost everyone on here has been through the JOB era and that has left some scars on some of you. I have seen replays of some of those games and they were indeed awful basketball. But the Vogel era is different. I was lucky enough to start watching after the Vogel era had started. I was lucky enough to not bear those scars that the JOB era caused. I was lucky enough to not have my perception of our players distorted by JOB's coaching. I was lucky enough to witness this team solely under Vogel. And the one thing that became clear from the start was that everyone on this team was a willing passer.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Look, I have been following the Pacers since the start of the lockout season. I am well aware that you have bled for this team more than me.
    What made you interested in the Pacers? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Well, he's European, so I'm sure it was to follow the legend that is Stanko Barac.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Rik Smits did. I liked the Pacers way before I started following them. Whenever I played NBA Live as a teen I'd pick that player because Smits was absolutely huge. The fact that the Pacers have very similar colors with GS Peristeri (I played 10 years there at the youth level) helped as well.

The main problem was that I disliked the NBA. I am not a fan of superstars and I was raised with the belief that team work beats talent. I was terribly prejudiced against the NBA and thought that it was just a bunch of super-athletes playing Iso. But when the lockout happened I started monitoring closely and see if the season will begin or not. I admit that I didn't want the NBA season at that time. But then the lockout ended and out of curiosity I decided to watch the Pacers-Bulls pre-season game in December 26, 2011.

And that's when I understood that I was wrong about the NBA. Sure, the highlights focus on super-athletic plays and a lot of teams play a lot of Isos but there's more to it than that. I was extremely glad to see that the team that I liked as a kid had another huge Center in its ranks. I was glad to see that we were playing big. I was glad to see that we had post players. I was glad to see that our offense was predicated around teamwork and not around a superstar. In other words, I was glad to see that this team played the game the way I liked and consider right.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

31. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Rik Smits did. I liked the Pacers way before I started following them. Whenever I played NBA Live as a teen I'd pick that player because Smits was absolutely huge. The fact that the Pacers have very similar colors with GS Peristeri (I played 10 years there at the youth level) helped as well.

The main problem was that I disliked the NBA. I am not a fan of superstars and I was raised with the belief that team work beats talent. I was terribly prejudiced against the NBA and thought that it was just a bunch of super-athletes playing Iso. But when the lockout happened I started monitoring closely and see if the season will begin or not. I admit that I didn't want the NBA season at that time. But then the lockout ended and out of curiosity I decided to watch the Pacers-Bulls pre-season game in December 26, 2011.

And that's when I understood that I was wrong about the NBA. Sure, the highlights focus on super-athletic plays and a lot of teams play a lot of Isos but there's more to it than that. I was extremely glad to see that the team that I liked as a kid had another huge Center in its ranks. I was glad to see that we were playing big. I was glad to see that we had post players. I was glad to see that our offense was predicated around teamwork and not around a superstar. In other words, I was glad to see that this team played the game the way I liked and consider right.

Good story! Glad to have you with us.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Good story! Glad to have you with us.
    Obviously glad to be here

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Perfect end to this season, IMO, is the Pacers win a Championship with Granger playing and maybe being the 2nd or 3rd best scorer on the team. Then Danny either retires or becomes an assistant Coach here. I just want to see Granger have his final game as a player in a Pacer uniform, just like Reggie.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Perfect end to this season, IMO, is the Pacers win a Championship with Granger playing and maybe being the 2nd or 3rd best scorer on the team. Then Danny either retires or becomes an assistant Coach here. I just want to see Granger have his final game as a player in a Pacer uniform, just like Reggie.
    In all likelihood Granger's next contract won't be his last since it most likely will only be 2 or 3 years. So if he is gone after this season it is possible he can come back and finish his career here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    If Danny is the 2nd or 3rd best scorer on the team and the team wins a championship at the end of this season, then I certainly don't want him retiring....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Nuntius, Danny Granger didn't change his game much at all in Vogel's first full year. I have to disagree with you there. I didn't see much of the preseason so I can't personally verify Anthem's post that said Danny seemed more willing to give the ball up in preseason. If so, that's a great sign.

My links weren't really meant to prove Danny's a black hole, that's my opinion, I only put them there to show you that I'm not alone in thinking that. It's not some crazy idea. Certainly not crazy enough to deserve the **** I got in this thread for saying it.