Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

Default Danny Granger 13-14 Discussion

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/granger-resume-practice

Scott Agness
    Pacers.com

The Pacers are 8-0, have a 3.5 game lead atop the Eastern Conference and they are feeling very good about their best start in franchise history. Soon, they hope to finally add another piece to the puzzle.

Forward Danny Granger is scheduled to return to practice on Tuesday after being held out more than three weeks due to a strained left calf. When he might slip on his jersey and check in during a game has yet to be determined. It’s a slow, incremental process for Granger to ensure he’s healthy.

"We won't have a formal practice but he'll get some individual work where he's playing two-on-two, or three-on-three,” said Pacers coach Frank Vogel. “We'll try to get him some full-court work and then he'll practice Wednesday and Thursday. I still think it's going to be a new beginning of a process to get his game legs back under him and his game timing, which is where we were working towards when he got injured.”

Granger first suffered the calf strain in his left leg at a home game on Oct. 16 against Dallas. He then had an MRI, which showed that it was nothing serious. Granger started two nights later and admittedly played his best basketball since the 2012 Playoffs. However, the strain flared up and he's been out ever since - almost a month.

Back on Oct. 28 when the team declared him out for approximately three weeks, Granger shrugged off the injury. He said he’s even had strains before and it hasn’t caused him to miss any time.

"I'm not discouraged at all because honestly, where I've been and to the point I am now, my knee’s been fine,” he said. “I'm very happy. I’ve had a muscle strain – big deal."

The team has told him that they won’t let him play until it’s completely gone.

"We want him to be pain-free because we don't want this to be something that lingers," Vogel said. "My understanding is that he's [currently] pain-free. … But anybody that's had a muscle strain knows that it doesn't really start grabbing at you until you really push it."

The measuring stick now will be his conditioning. He’s stayed active in the weight room, worked out in the pool and rode an elliptical while watching practice. The injury hasn’t kept him from shooting. He’s occasionally at the other end of the floor when the team is practicing, getting shots up on his own. What he’s stayed away from is running and jumping, because that’s when he would feel a knot in the strain. Doing those items without hesitation or pain will be the initial challenge.

Issues with his left knee caused Granger to miss all but five games in 2012-13, including the postseason, where the Pacers pushed the Miami Heat to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. He absolutely believes the calf strain is the result of limited work last season.

“100 percent,” he stated positively. “I’ve had other players tell me, ‘Look, when you’re coming back and you haven’t played in a year, not only do you have to get what you injured healthy, but the rest of your body got to get acclimated to doing what you’ve been doing for the past 10 years.’”

Granger’s in the last year of his contract and is eager to get back on the floor. He isn’t, however, worried about missing a handful of games early on. He, like the entire team, wants to go the distance.

"We want to play 100 [games],” he said. “On the grand scheme of things, it's not really that big of deal."

Throughout his nine-year career, Granger has always been a slow starter. It might take him a week or two to get in game shape while also putting game-like pressure on his calf. Vogel said he will definitely come off the bench to start and with the way Lance Stephenson is playing, there seems to be no good reason not to let those five starters carry on. When healthy, Granger further enhances the Pacers’ weaponry off the bench.

"I'll probably have a time frame where for X number of games or so, he'll come off the bench and probably get some of the minutes Orlando Johnson and Solomon Hill are getting,” said Vogel.

"Then, we'll see where it goes from there."
    So far so good.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Granger To Resume Practice

Saw a short interview with Danny on the news and he said yesterday went well.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Another puff piece covering for the fact that he'll never play basketball on that knee again. Once the front office thinks they've got all of the season ticket money they think they're going to get, they'll stop this charade.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

6. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another puff piece covering for the fact that he'll never play basketball on that knee again.
    Not for any extended period of time. A game here, 3 games there, 10+ off inbetween.

Sports Logo

Danny for his part seems to think it was something he could play through, maybe the team is keeping him inactive for other reasons

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Danny for his part seems to think it was something he could play through, maybe the team is keeping him inactive for other reasons
    Chemistry and character probably. He's just such a bad teammate(and maybe bad person) it's gonna have an enormous effect on team morale just having him in warm ups.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Because the training staff is going ultra-conservative with him. After he tweaked it the second time, they shut Danny down for 6 weeks even before they ran an MRI to check the severity.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's good..... for now
    Smothered Chicken!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Well damn. Hmm looking like we can't count on his return anytime soon.

Only thing you can do is rest it until it stops getting bothersome. At least it's not the knee.

Dude can't catch a break.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Damn. Oh well, thanks for the info
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scott Agness ‏@ScottAgness 37m

Granger won’t play til he has a few pain-free practices. Vogel says they’re going to need DG to attain their goals No point to let it linger

Retweet
    Favorite

Expand

Scott Agness ‏@ScottAgness 45s

Granger: "...my knee’s not an issue. It’s a soft-tissue muscle strain, which just has to heal. That’s really nothing to be worried about."

Scott Agness ‏@ScottAgness 20m

VIDEO: Granger shooting after practice. http://instagram.com/p/gqn2eMF5Ru/
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Not sure if the Pacers can beat the Heat without Granger. This blows.

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

And I was really hoping Granger would help fix the offense woe's... Pacers can't win with an average offense.

Read it and weep:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    And I was really hoping Granger would help fix the offense woe's... Pacers can't win with an average offense.
    The Pistons were able to win with an average offense. As long as our D continues to kick *** then we can do it even if we're only average offensively.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I strongly believe we can win the title even if Danny plays 0 games for us. Adding him just makes it more likely. The improvement from Lance, Paul, and Roy combined with swapping DJ and Tyler with CJ and Scola have made it that way. Honorable mention to the improvement of Orlando Johnson.

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    The Pistons were able to win with an average offense. As long as our D continues to kick *** then we can do it even if we're only average offensively.
    Possibly, but not the odds on favorites. Generally, the best team always wins, and I'm suggesting they won't be the best team.

Read it and weep:

34. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I hope so. It's just hard to imagine them winning when the offense continues to operate at a league average rate. We'll see tho.

Read it and weep:

Odd reactions for someone having soreness coming back from a calf strain.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I hope so. It's just hard to imagine them winning when the offense continues to operate at a league average rate. We'll see tho.
    Because of matchup advantages our D won't be average against the Heat though.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Perceptions are going to be fluid from now through May, but at this point I feel like we have the offense to beat New York and/or Brooklyn, but it's going to be cutting it close with Chicago and Miami. With the Heat, we know Roy can put up above-average scoring performances, so there's that to consider, but Chicago may be the toughest opponent in terms of our ability to score.

Of course, the flip side to that is I think our defense will be more effective against Chicago than it will against Miami (because putting Paul George on Rose can really throw a wrench in their gears, whereas there is no way to stop LeBron).

It'll be very tough, but we're right there.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Offenses almost always start slow at the beginning of a season. There are a few teams putting up a lot of points right now, but the execution starts getting better in late December/early January.

Look at how bad our offense was early last year. By playoff time it was one of the top two in the league. And our offense by default will be better this season with everyones' improvements and by replacing two of our worst offensive players.

As far as Danny goes, this is just weird. I'm not an injury expert, but how will Danny ever play if he's shut down every time he experiences soreness?

The whole thing has been weird. The dissonance between Danny saying "I'm fine, I'll play in a couple of days" and Frank simultaneously saying "this could be more serious than we thought" two weeks ago was strange.