Thread: The 2013 Pacers are the 18th team in NBA history to start 8-0. Who are the other 17?

Default The 2013 Pacers are the 18th team in NBA history to start 8-0. Who are the other 17?

So, someone help me out here: who are the other 17? How many of them went on to become NBA champions?

I was looking for data on this online but couldn't find anything. Supposedly this comes from STATS but I have no way to access that. Anyone know where to find this out?

Default Re: The 2013 Pacers are the 18th team in NBA history to start 8-0. Who are the other 17?

I found 12 of them in this article:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/top-5-starts-in-nba-history

1948-1949 Washington Capitols, Lost in BAA Finals
    1957-1958 Celtics (14-0), Lost in NBA Finals
    1964-1965 Celtics (11-0), NBA Champs
    1972-1973 Celtics (10-0), Lost in ECF [ <- edit ]
    1982-1983 Supersonics (12-0), Lost in 1st round
    1990-1991 Trailblazers (11-0), Lost in WCF
    1993-1994 Rockets (15-0), NBA Champs
    1996-1997 Bulls (12-0), NBA Champs
    1997-1998 Hawks (11-0), Lost in 1st round
    1997-1998 Lakers (11-0), Lost in WCF
    2000-2001 76ers (10-0), Lost in NBA Finals [ <- edit ]
    2002-2003 Mavericks (14-0), Lost in WCF
    2011-2012 Lakers (8-0)
    2011-2012 NO Hornets (8-0)

Interesting how few of these went on to win the title. Peaked too early?

I wonder who the other 5 are, I'll keep looking...
    Last edited by rabid; 11-14-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Default Re: The 2013 Pacers are the 18th team in NBA history to start 8-0. Who are the other 17?

Weird, basketballreference says that 29 teams have achieved an 8-0 record (if I'm reading the stat right), but doesn't say who they are.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...t_records.html

I wonder if the Pacers.com stat is referring to total number of franchises that have reached 8-0 at least once, as opposed to individual teams in individual seasons?

If so that stat is a lot less impressive.

Random dude on a forum made some best-start lists... assuming he's right (he had all the other ones right, so...you can add:

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3528

2000-2001 76ers (10-0), Lost in NBA Finals
    1972-1973 Celtics (10-0), Lost in ECF

That makes 14 total. I'm starting to think that Pacers' numbers are wrong or they are referring to franchises, not teams. Meh

[QUOTE=rabid;1734572]Weird, basketballreference says that 29 teams have achieved an 8-0 record (if I'm reading the stat right), but doesn't say who they are.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...t_records.html

I wonder if the Pacers.com stat is referring to total number of franchises that have reached 8-0 at least once, as opposed to individual teams in individual seasons?

Are you forgetting that those numbers are wins starting the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you forgetting that those numbers are wins starting the season.
    No I realize they are referring to starting the season, not overall win streaks.

But basketball reference seems to be saying that at least 29 teams have started the season 8-0, while the Pacers are saying 18 teams have done so.

This was going to be a fun thread about whether teams with great starts end up winning championships, but looks like I hit a wall here. Le sigh

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only way to get a good sense of whether or not a hot start equals playoffs success would be to look at which one team each year got off to the best start through 20 games, including those that might've started 15-1, 18-2, ect. Once that team has been identified, take a look at how their season ended. Only then could you determine what percentage of teams that start out the season well go on to win the NBA Finals.

It would take a lot of time and research to figure that one out. Maybe someone has already done that but we just haven't discovered it yet. At any rate, it would probably be inconclusive because several NBA Champions started out the season slow and then got hot after the All-Star break.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers were the first team to beat that 02-03 Dallas team. It was on Thanksgiving. I really miss those Thanksgiving games.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Pacers were the first team to beat that 02-03 Dallas team. It was on Thanksgiving. I really miss those Thanksgiving games.
    I was shocked to see that game was 11 years ago. Time flies.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I was shocked to see that game was 11 years ago. Time flies.
    Yeah, when I mentioned it in another thread I was thinking it happened in like 05 or 06, not 02.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    yes, we were 12-2 and they were 14-1 after. What a matchup! Dirk was off (4-20) but Al Harrington, Jermaine, and Ron Artest went off. Tinsley had 15 assists and I though he was God, his passes were so nice- hitting people right into their shooting motion

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...211280IND.html
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    yes, we were 12-2 and they were 14-1 after. What a matchup! Dirk was off (4-20) but Al Harrington, Jermaine, and Ron Artest went off. Tinsley had 15 assists and I though he was God, his passes were so nice- hitting people right into their shooting motion

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...211280IND.html

Nice find.

Mark Cuban obviously deserves tremendous praise for transforming the Mavs from a mediocre franchise into a true powerhouse. He has a championship ring to show for it and has clearly been one of the best owners in the NBA for a long time. But I think that dumping Steve Nash so that they could sign Erik freaking Dampier to an obscene contract has to be one of the biggest NBA blunders over the last decade. Can you imagine if Dirk and Nash would have kept playing with each other?

Good Tinsley is maybe one of the 10 most entertaining basketball players I've ever watched.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

That '02-'03 season is probably the most disappointing ending to a season I can remember in my Pacer fandom. Isiah coached the all star game that year as we had the best record in the east going into the break. A couple 6 game losing streaks and a 14-19 record after the all star game sent us limping into the Paul Pierce/Antioine Walker curb stomping we received in the playoffs. ....bleehhhhh I still can't erase that image of Paul Pierce talking trash to Al right before he went draino from three in Al's eye at the end of the 3rd quarter in game 4.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post: