Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Colts-Titans

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts-Titans

During the post game interview Pagano referred to DHB as their only injury of concern.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The defending of him by me is no less annoying than the incessant TRich sucks statements.
    And as someone who has defended Donald Brown for almost five years, its funny how many people suddenly love him. As I half joked before, let's give Trent as many chances and years as Donald had here...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

He improved only after TRich got here. Mark my words, he is benefiting from TRich right now. The looks and formations favor him. Trent gets all the poorly executed power sets and Brown gets all the receiver sets where defenses sag in pass to account for Luck. It's almost like using the analogy of the run setting up the play action, except they're using Trent to set up the big chunks for DBrown. It's working. The line seems better at the non power set schemes. Couple all this with Brown actually staying healthy and running with confidence and it paints a somewhat inaccurate picture if you're not reading it correctly.

We're winning though. Our power set run blocking has to improve. Trent looks better in pass protection and receiving than Brown.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
    That last drive of the Colts where they ran the ball almost every down does not fit your scenario. The Titans knew a run was coming and the Colts still kept moving the ball. Richardson does not follow his lead blocker well and seems to have a hard time finding the hole that develops. I think it is something he has to learn. I believe he can do it. That being said Brown has more burst once he enters the hole made for him. I think Trent and Richardson are good for each other. I would like to see more passes out of the single backfield of Richardson and also maybe they need that extra tackle in there when he is running like they did last night with Brown.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    That last drive of the Colts where they ran the ball almost every down does not fit your scenario. The Titans knew a run was coming and the Colts still kept moving the ball. Richardson does not follow his lead blocker well and seems to have a hard time finding the hole that develops. I think it is something he has to learn. I believe he can do it. That being said Brown has more burst once he enters the hole made for him. I think Trent and Richardson are good for each other. I would like to see more passes out of the single backfield of Richardson and also maybe they need that extra tackle in there when he is running like they did last night with Brown.
    The run scheme was different all night. Maylock pointed out McGlynn pulling, but they had linemen pulling all night all over the place. That is something that they weren't doing. The line looked good getting out and moving. They were able to get into the second level and put some hurting on the LBs.

That first Brown TD, they could have driven a truck through that initial hole. I really liked how they threw the ball on some 3rd and shorts, instead of just being bullheaded and running. Pep did a much better job play calling last night.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The OLine can pull? Wow, I seriously thought they were cemented into the ground.

Thank God for some new play calling during that second half. Hopefully this is signs to come.
    I saluted Pep for dropping DHB and putting Brazill in his place. Turned out, DHB got injured...Ahhhh, that makes sense.

His playcalling though was good nonetheless. Loved the Fleener play.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I saluted Pep for dropping DHB and putting Brazill in his place. Turned out, DHB got injured...Ahhhh, that makes sense.

His playcalling though was good nonetheless. Loved the Fleener play.

Fleener is proving to be a pretty good draft pick. This guy just keeps growing on me.

The Allen injury gets a bit overshadowed by the injuries to the running backs and Reggie, but losing him was a big loss too. I can't wait for next year when we can run some nasty 2 TE sets with Fleener and Allen. Add Hilton, a hopefully healthy Reggie, hopefully a FA WR, and hopefully an improved O-Line for a better running game, and this could be one nasty offense, especially when you factor in Luck's continued growth.

The fact that we're sitting at 7-3 with all of these injuries is a testament to the stability of our team and young quarterback. This team always finds ways to win. There is still a lot to work on, but 7-3 is 7-3 and we are going to win the division and host a playoff game. Can't ask for much more than that right now.

Fleener has been playing well and needs to continue to play well, but man do I miss Allen. He's just so good and so well-rounded
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Fleener has been playing well and needs to continue to play well, but man do I miss Allen. He's just so good and so well-rounded
    I agree. It's hard not to think about just how good this offense could be if healthy.

T Rich is outstanding at putting defenses asleep. Once Brown enters the game, defenses are caught off guard by how fast Donald runs. Because of this, Richardson has to remain the starter
    David "And One" West

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    And as someone who has defended Donald Brown for almost five years, its funny how many people suddenly love him. As I half joked before, let's give Trent as many chances and years as Donald had here...
    I don't think people suddenly love him. It's just that he's being compared to Trent Richardson, who has been pretty bad so far. Trent will get his chances going forward. The team isn't going throw him by the wayside.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    And please stop branding us like we only watch Brown and Rich's ypc or we support our arguments by simply saying that the latter sucks.
    This is honestly my biggest gripe. KM makes sound arguments for the most part, but this whole, "I see something that no one else sees" thing comes off as condescending and, frankly, like a load of crap.

Here is how I would break up touches, we know Trent is a legit threat in the passing game, getting 50 catches last year is pretty decent work. So far we've gotten him 12 catches and he's producing close to 10 yards a tocuh in the passing game, we can't completely remove him from the run game because 1.) He flat our needs experience in the NFL and 2.) he needs experience in our system.

I would continue to get Trent 10-15 touches a game, but I would make sure he gets 4-5 catches a game every single week. If he gets rolling on the ground early in a game, then I would stick with him. If he doesn't, I would then make sure I get Brown 15 touches specifcially in the running game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Look I'm with a lot of you, Trent has been a huge disappointment over 8 weeks, but I relaly do see enough flashes to make me believe that it is a timing thing, Trent is still learning how to run in the NFL. in college, the guy was able to just run past or run over anyone who got close to him, he never really learned the finer points of running (something that Brown has had to pick up as well). It's why a guy like Addai actually IMO did much better early in his career, Addai was never the biggest even at the college level, so he had to learn how to cut back and read holes much earlier.

In college, Trent was a 230 lb ball of muscle who ran a 4.45 40 time. He was just a physical beast, he never had to learn the intricacies of running the ball through cut back holes and things like that. We just have to live through some growing pains, but the talent is there.

Remember Trent is a guy that in his second NFL game, went for 109 yards on the ground on 19 touches and another 40 through the air for 2 touchdowns. The natural talent is there. We have to get his mind up to it as well though.

The funniest thing going on twitter right now though has to be this idea that Trent is slow and Brown is some kind of speed demon. Brown is definitely more of a speed back with his running form, but the truth is the two of them run nearly identical 40 times. Brown was 4.46 at the combine and Trent was 4.48. But you see a lot of people, JMV is someone who thinks it is 100% true, that just keep piping this gospel that Trent is slow. No the natural talent is not the issue, watch him for 5 seconds when he catches the ball in space, he has great burst and breaks tackles, the issue is with his mind reading the cutback lanes and finding the holes. I think he can figure that out, especially with the football savant that is 12 at quarterback.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-15-2013 at 12:29 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Here is how I would break up touches, we know Trent is a legit threat in the passing game, getting 50 catches last year is pretty decent work. So far we've gotten him 12 catches and he's producing close to 10 yards a tocuh in the passing game, we can't completely remove him from the run game because 1.) He flat our needs experience in the NFL and 2.) he needs experience in our system.

I would continue to get Trent 10-15 touches a game, but I would make sure he gets 4-5 catches a game every single week. If he gets rolling on the ground early in a game, then I would stick with him. If he doesn't, I would then make sure I get Brown 15 touches specifcially in the running game.
    I more or less agree. I would split the touches (rushing/receiving) 65/35 in Brown's favor. He's been better, and he's earned it at this point. Richardson has to stay involved and we have to give him opportunities to make plays and gain some confidence. Also, whoever coaches the running backs needs to tell him when he gets that ball, don't hesitate, just RUN. Keep your legs churning no matter what. Stopping and sidestepping at the line of scrimmage is just going to give the defenders more time to get to you. This isn't Alabama where waiting will open up holes that you can exploit--you have to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I more or less agree. I would split the touches (rushing/receiving) 65/35 in Brown's favor. He's been better, and he's earned it at this point. Richardson has to stay involved and we have to give him opportunities to make plays and gain some confidence. Also, whoever coaches the running backs needs to tell him when he gets that ball, don't hesitate, just RUN. Keep your legs churning no matter what. Stopping and sidestepping at the line of scrimmage is just going to give the defenders more time to get to you. This isn't Alabama where waiting will open up holes that you can exploit--you have to attack.
    Agreed, Trent has to trust his forward momentum, he does well right now when he just reacts. It's a bit like bringing Lance along, two hugely gifted physical guys who never really learned the finer points. At the start, it might just be best to rely on your physical ability. The mind will come with it

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know what to tell ya cdash. I can see that the plays unfold in front of Brown differently than they do for Trent. The few times Trent had anything resembling a lane, he pulled a few guys to 6-7 yards. Most of the time he was met by defenders within a yard of hand off. Brown didn't encounter near as many of those situations. He had holes, obviously. The plays don't unfold for Rich like they do for Brown. Not trying to be condescending, but it is frustrating hearing you guys ***** about a Trich run for 1 yard when the line got busted, and then praise Brown when he goes 4 yards deep before evem being touched. There is a clear difference to me.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The run scheme was different all night. Maylock pointed out McGlynn pulling, but they had linemen pulling all night all over the place. That is something that they weren't doing. The line looked good getting out and moving. They were able to get into the second level and put some hurting on the LBs.

That first Brown TD, they could have driven a truck through that initial hole. I really liked how they threw the ball on some 3rd and shorts, instead of just being bullheaded and running. Pep did a much better job play calling last night.
    I don't believe they were doing it all night but they were pointing out that the Colts had an extra tackle in the game
    when they were going with the run later in the game.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

24. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

They were doing it all night. I was making my sarcastic comments throughout the game. At the end, even with the extra linemen, they were still pulling from the other side. There's an article out on ESPN right now about how the linement took the StL game personally. I haven't read it yet, but I'm just wondering why StL was the final straw, I would think getting your *** handed to you for 6 straight weeks should have been motivation enough.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...own-highlights

Here are several of Brown's runs from last night. My first observation is that the line definitely played better last night than they have. Unfortunately we don't have Trent's runs on video to easily compare, but IMO there isn't a conspiracy against Richardson to have the line block differently. On several plays you can see the Titans get close to hitting Brown at the line of scrimmage but Brown's speed and agility let him slide through the first line and build up a head of steam. He's able to avoid the initial tackle instead of having to break it, although he did show some good ability to shake off arm tackles (which of course is a little surprising with his reputation). I think those are the types of plays that Richardson is a little hesitant on and ends up getting hit on or just beyond the line of scrimmage instead of being able to slide past tacklers.

And you can also see that Brown's success (other than his reception) did not come about because of passing formations. I don't think they had 3 wide receivers in for any of those plays, and some of them were heavy run formations.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never said it was a conspiracy just that it's a difference in play calling

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

On a side note, anyone else watch Luck get the impression that he's probably a pretty good hooper too? Everytime I see the replay of his TD run, I picture him dribbling a basketball doing that inside-outside juke.

I never said it was a conspiracy just that it's a difference in play calling
    Apologies for the mischaracterization. What are those differences? What types of plays are they calling for Brown that allow him to succeed that they aren't for Richardson? I'm certainly not seeing any difference in how they are used as far as formations or down and distance in recent weeks. They've been used pretty interchangably for those things. Is there something more complicated than that in the plays themselves that are fundamentally different between the two?

Richardson should be the 3rd down back. He can catch and pass block, and I think he could thrive running out of the shotgun. Let Brown start, Richardson get the 2 minute offense and 3rd down plays.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...own-highlights

On several plays you can see the Titans get close to hitting Brown at the line of scrimmage but Brown's speed and agility let him slide through the first line and build up a head of steam. He's able to avoid the initial tackle instead of having to break it, although he did show some good ability to shake off arm tackles (which of course is a little surprising with his reputation).
    This. Let's not paint a picture of Brown only having obvious holes that he hit.

As I mentioned before, this happened at least twice that I can recall. Bit of patience, speed and decisiveness.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth